24 Years Ago Today -- Game 6 of 1986 World Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24 Years Ago Today -- Game 6 of 1986 World Series

For the record, today marks the 24th anniversary of a truly momentous game in Mets history — the incredible comeback against the Boston Red Sox in Game 6 of the 1986 World Series.

I had the great privilege (and enormous luck) of attending that game. A few days before, I won two Field Level box seat tickets in a (free) office raffle. It wasn’t until the Mets won Game 4 to tie the Series that a future Game 6 was assured.

I knew from the very beginning of the game — when that guy parachuted onto the field with an enormous Mets banner behind him — that that would be a special night.

We all know what transpired in the finally innings of that game. There is, however, one small point I would like to make in correcting some people’s recollection of that game. I have seen in some documentary footage that ceratin folks in the stands (and in the dugouts) noted that the DiamondVision operator inadvertently posted a message — after the second Mets out of the 10th inning — congratulating the Red Sox on their win. Regardless of what you may have heard or seen, the message had, in fact, just three words: “CONGRATULATIONS RED SOX

It appeared for about two seconds. I was seated in the Field Level, about 2/3 of the way down the left field side. My peripheral vision caught something being put up on the DiamondVision message board, and a moment later it was gone — but not before making an indelible impression in my mind.

Anyway, a very small point, but something worth setting straight, I think.

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X