Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mets to hire Alderson

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mets to hire Alderson

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...son/index.html

    Great...now what.
    "Nobody ever won a World Series drinking milk"
    -Doug Sisk, RP 1986 Mets

  • #2
    He hires a manager, and then your guess is as good as mine.
    New York (N.L.)
    1888, 1889, 1904, 1905, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1917, 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1933, 1936, 1937, 1951, 1954, 1969, 1973, 1986, 2000

    Brooklyn (N.L.)
    1890, 1899, 1900, 1916, 1920, 1941, 1947, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956

    New York (A.A.) 1884 Brooklyn (A.A.) 1889

    Comment


    • #3
      OK so they got step 1 right.

      Sandy, get us a good manager.

      Comment


      • #4
        fantastic news.....Sandy values things that actually win games over the course of a season.
        "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

        "Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

        Comment


        • #5
          Next a manager, then he begins to cut the waste from the team and make it better.
          "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

          "If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

          "At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

          Comment


          • #6
            More pitching, please, Mr. Alderson. Mets history and this year's playoff teams alone tell us what's needed on the roster.

            Comment


            • #7
              now we can only hope he tells the Wilpon's to stay out of the way and let me do what you are paying me to do.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Frogshiem77 View Post
                This is a first great step. For once I am sort of jacked up about a move the Mets are making.

                The next thing for the Mets is for Alderson, and Alderson alone hiring a manager. I think the manager choice has to be along the same lines as the GM was chosen: an established manager with an MLB track record.

                I still believe that 2011 is going to be a "punt" year for the Mets, but I can live with that. Lets lose the dead wood salaries establish a game plan and then go forward. I dont think that anyone should get their expectations too high for 2011.

                Another step that must be taken is fixing Citi...and I do say fix because its broken. That dimensions are a joke. If we want a winner and we all do this team must be "de-Wilponized". The bad GM choice is gone, now the bad manager choice is next. After that the bad dimensions choice MUST be addressed.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                  This is a first great step. For once I am sort of jacked up about a move the Mets are making.

                  The next thing for the Mets is for Alderson, and Alderson alone hiring a manager. I think the manager choice has to be along the same lines as the GM was chosen: an established manager with an MLB track record.

                  I still believe that 2011 is going to be a "punt" year for the Mets, but I can live with that. Lets lose the dead wood salaries establish a game plan and then go forward. I dont think that anyone should get their expectations too high for 2011.

                  Another step that must be taken is fixing Citi...and I do say fix because its broken. That dimensions are a joke. If we want a winner and we all do this team must be "de-Wilponized". The bad GM choice is gone, now the bad manager choice is next. After that the bad dimensions choice MUST be addressed.
                  The dimensions are fine and have nothing to do - whatsoever - with whether the Mets field a winner or not. And indeed, they slightly help the pitchers - 6th best pitchers park last yer, 9th best year before (for the record, Shea was 10th in 2008). The rightfield fence situation could use some attention because it's overly quirky, but in my view, that's it.

                  Alderson is an outside hire who will have total control - so don't expect Wally Backman or Bobby Valentine in the dug out, either. He'll build around pitching, defense, speed, and gap hitting - classic Mets, in other words. But yes, 2011 will be a punt year - though some of young players may make it interesting. Let's see what Alderson does about Castillo and Perez.
                  Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Strawman View Post
                    The dimensions are fine and have nothing to do - whatsoever - with whether the Mets field a winner or not. And indeed, they slightly help the pitchers - 6th best pitchers park last yer, 9th best year before (for the record, Shea was 10th in 2008). The rightfield fence situation could use some attention because it's overly quirky, but in my view, that's it.

                    Alderson is an outside hire who will have total control - so don't expect Wally Backman or Bobby Valentine in the dug out, either. He'll build around pitching, defense, speed, and gap hitting - classic Mets, in other words. But yes, 2011 will be a punt year - though some of young players may make it interesting. Let's see what Alderson does about Castillo and Perez.
                    The dimensions are not fine at all. The dimensions are a big detriment. Say what you want but that field hides all the pitching woes, which get exposed on the road, and will deter any more hitters from signing with the Mets. So yes Citi Field indeed has a lot to do with being a winner or not.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Mr Alderson, here is my wants and needs:

                      1) View 2011 as a punt year and nothing else.
                      2) Rebuild our wasteland of a farm system.
                      3) Get rid of the bums, Castillo, Perez, etc.
                      4) Form a plan for the future.
                      5) Hire a competent manager.
                      6) Lower the Dimensions of Citi Field and give our power hitters their HRs back.
                      Just call me a sports fan.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by AJbaseball00024 View Post
                        Mr Alderson, here is my wants and needs:

                        1) View 2011 as a punt year and nothing else.
                        2) Rebuild our wasteland of a farm system.
                        3) Get rid of the bums, Castillo, Perez, etc.
                        4) Form a plan for the future.
                        5) Hire a competent manager.
                        6) Lower the Dimensions of Citi Field and give our power hitters their HRs back.
                        I couldnt agree more.

                        Your number 3 is very interesting. Although I dont like Castillo he atleast never defied the team and his teammates. On the other hand if Oliver Perez is on the roster I am going to have a very difficult time watching them at all next year. I no longer want to root for a - - - - - organization. Fill in your own 5 letters. Its time to man up and dump Perez for hurting his team, his teammates and the organization last year. Admit you made a 36 million dollar error, eat the last 12 and move on. Its actually embarassing that Perez still has a locker and uniform.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by AJbaseball00024 View Post
                          Mr Alderson, here is my wants and needs:

                          1) View 2011 as a punt year and nothing else.
                          2) Rebuild our wasteland of a farm system.
                          3) Get rid of the bums, Castillo, Perez, etc.
                          4) Form a plan for the future.
                          5) Hire a competent manager.
                          6) Lower the Dimensions of Citi Field and give our power hitters their HRs back.
                          The farm system isn't a wasteland. In fact, it's one of the deepest in the division. The problem is the Mets don't have an uber prospect like Jason Heyward, Stephen Strasburg, or Dominic Brown.
                          "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

                          "If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

                          "At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                            The dimensions are not fine at all. The dimensions are a big detriment. Say what you want but that field hides all the pitching woes, which get exposed on the road, and will deter any more hitters from signing with the Mets. So yes Citi Field indeed has a lot to do with being a winner or not.
                            Yeah tell that to the San Francisco Giants - or should I say, the National League Champion SF Giants! Pitcher's park, quirky angles, winner.
                            Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The problem is the 13 guys who hit on the team, not the ballpark.
                              "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

                              "If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

                              "At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X