No announcement yet.

Who would you like to manage the Mets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who would you like to manage the Mets?

Just a thread to gauge who each of you feel should be the next manager, and why.

I picked Wally Backman, who I know is a longshot with Sandy as the new Gm. I like him because of his fire, and intensity. I'm not sure how that would translate to a MLB clubhouse, but he would be entertaining at least. I also have a liking for Lee Mazzilli to be manager, even though his name rarely comes up in the manager rumors, which is puzzling. I think in the right environment Mazzilli would make a heck of a manager.
    Wally Backman
    41.67%
    Lee Mazzilli
    8.33%
    Chip Hale
    4.17%
    Terry Collins
    12.50%
    Bob Melvin
    8.33%
    Clint Hurdle
    12.50%
    Dave Jauss
    0.00%
    Ken Oberkfell
    4.17%
    DeMarlo Hale
    0.00%
    Don Wakamatsu
    0.00%
    Other
    8.33%
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

I don't know enough about many of these guys. Mazzilli, much as I loved him as a player, may be too tainted by the Torreishness that in part doomed Randolph. Backman just strikes me as a no go...there is just something off. Melvin and Collins I don't recall being overwowed by them. Teufel and Oberkfell I know little about their managing careers.

Comment

I voted for Backman but I feel Chip Hale would be an interesting pick. If I were choosing the manager, I'd ask them them how they would handle the current players and where the team could be fixed. I see it as insight into the thought process of a manager. Buck Showalter would be my ideal choice and Maz would be my third choice.

I would like to hear from non-Mets fans on their perspectives on the outside guys such as Collins and Wakamatsu.
      The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

I think enough of Alderson that I would support whoever he thinks is the right guy.

Backman, Chip Hale, Terry Collins ok with me. Don't know much about some others, could do without Mazzilli or Melvin.

Comment

Backman would undo all of the professionalism the organization just acquired in the front office. I would love Bobby V but he wasnt an option, and I dont think he signed with anyone...I dont think. So I chose Clint Hurdle.

Comment

Anyone that the new administration sees fit to hire. We finally have competent people running this show. I have complete faith that Alderson and staff will pick the right guy.
            "We have a plan; and I like our plan." ...Omar
            "I belive in our minor leagers; and I like our minor leagers." ...Omar

Comment

If we can't get Bobby V. again, I'd vote for Backman--former player and would come cheaper, that's two big plusses for both the fans and the Mets' wallet.

Can't get much more disappointing, why not give Wally a shot?
              "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

How about Jerry Manuel? I hear he's available...
                X
                What's THAT guy doing?
                - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

I understand the short sighted reasons many people would like to see Wally Backman hired to manage the Mets. "He's feisty." "He's scrappy." "He's got heart." "He was a major part of the 1986 team." Not to sell Backman short, he was selected as the minor league manager of the year in 2004. Still, some part of me believes that the hiring of Backman would be as much for the attendance bump it might bring as for the talents he brings to the job. However, he has been in the organization as a manager only for a year. He also has a reputation (deserved or not) as a hot head.

On the other hand, you have Ken Oberkfell who has been with the organization since 2001. He also has a minor league manager of the year award on his resume, earned with the organization in 2005. He has coached Reyes, Wright and many of the players we will see coming up from Triple AAA in the next few years. By all accounts, he is an even handed well liked manager. He has experienced success at the minor league level with many of the players that are currently on the big league roster. Why shouldn't he be rewarded both for his performance as well as his loyalty to the organization? Much like Davey was an outsider who worked his way up through the organization, so should Ken be given the chance that he has earned.

Comment

Two words: Wally Backman. The organization needs a manager who WILL shout at players like Jose Reyes for showing anything less than full effort. I would LOVE to see Wally Backman scream at Ollie Perez or K-Rod after one of them screws up. I feel like he would get the most out of the current Mets team and would truly help guys like Ruben Tejada find confidence.

Comment

Backmans overrated. Wakamatsu, someone who actually managed a game in the majors before.

Comment

Originally posted by pstein View Post
                        Two words: Wally Backman. The organization needs a manager who WILL shout at players like Jose Reyes for showing anything less than full effort. I would LOVE to see Wally Backman scream at Ollie Perez or K-Rod after one of them screws up. I feel like he would get the most out of the current Mets team and would truly help guys like Ruben Tejada find confidence.
                        Wow. So he screams..then what? What happens next? Screaming at someone for "screwing up" does what exactly? Yeah guys like that really build confidence in young players like Tejada. Wally Backman would be an error of monumental proportions to be named managers of this team.

Comment

Originally posted by The Korean View Post
                          Backmans overrated. Wakamatsu, someone who actually managed a game in the majors before.
                          Backman is not my ideal choice and he could easily crash and burn. I will ask as devil's advocate: If Wakamatsu couldn't lead the Mariners, how do you think he could improve the Mets? If he was unsuccessful in Seattle, how could he turn around the Mets?
                          The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8Beldini View Post
                            Anyone that the new administration sees fit to hire. We finally have competent people running this show. I have complete faith that Alderson and staff will pick the right guy.
                            I agree as long as its not Backman.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                              Wow. So he screams..then what? What happens next? Screaming at someone for "screwing up" does what exactly? Yeah guys like that really build confidence in young players like Tejada. Wally Backman would be an error of monumental proportions to be named managers of this team.
                              He couldnt be worse than Howe, or Randolph, or Torborg, or Bamburger, or...I could keep going...
                              unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
                              unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
                              unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X