Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beltran: "I want to finish my career with the Mets"

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...79230&c_id=mlb

Interesting segment with Carlos Beltran about next year, and I definitely wasn't expecting him to say that...he does say if the team wants to trade hime he has to listen to offers, but really, he doesn't at all seem too negative about the team.

Granted there's only so negative you can ever sound off about your bosses to the media, really, but still, definitely a cooler, less-hostile-sounding Beltran than when he had his fracasee with them over his knee operation.

I'd personally love to see him come back, play, and then either trade him for whatever we can get if he plays poorly or, if he stays on the upward trajectory he seemed to hit in the last month or so and plays well again, to then keep him barring a great, blow-away deal (really, for me Reyes, Wright, Santana, Ike, Pagan, Niese and Jenrry Mejia are the only ones I really and truly would be dead-set agaisnt trading, all the others I'd hear offers on; that being said, I DO think we have a good club, just a very thin and flawed one, the kind of club that could win the World Series if absolutely everything went perfect and they caught all the right breaks, which isn't realistic, of course...that being said, I still DO think that's the kind of team that can at least be interesting and in the Wild Card mix, they're not, say, the Pirates or Nationals where by May the season's already irrelevant and AA games and players matter more than the big league team, so this offseason should really focus on retooling, and Beltran's a big part of that--suppose he DOES come back and is the Beltran of old or at least close enough to it to be productive to merit interest...is he then worth more as a player or as a bargaining chip, and what would you deal him for if you choose to deal him?)
    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
    http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...79230&c_id=mlb

Interesting segment with Carlos Beltran about next year, and I definitely wasn't expecting him to say that...he does say if the team wants to trade hime he has to listen to offers, but really, he doesn't at all seem too negative about the team.

Granted there's only so negative you can ever sound off about your bosses to the media, really, but still, definitely a cooler, less-hostile-sounding Beltran than when he had his fracasee with them over his knee operation.

I'd personally love to see him come back, play, and then either trade him for whatever we can get if he plays poorly or, if he stays on the upward trajectory he seemed to hit in the last month or so and plays well again, to then keep him barring a great, blow-away deal (really, for me Reyes, Wright, Santana, Ike, Pagan, Niese and Jenrry Mejia are the only ones I really and truly would be dead-set agaisnt trading, all the others I'd hear offers on; that being said, I DO think we have a good club, just a very thin and flawed one, the kind of club that could win the World Series if absolutely everything went perfect and they caught all the right breaks, which isn't realistic, of course...that being said, I still DO think that's the kind of team that can at least be interesting and in the Wild Card mix, they're not, say, the Pirates or Nationals where by May the season's already irrelevant and AA games and players matter more than the big league team, so this offseason should really focus on retooling, and Beltran's a big part of that--suppose he DOES come back and is the Beltran of old or at least close enough to it to be productive to merit interest...is he then worth more as a player or as a bargaining chip, and what would you deal him for if you choose to deal him?)
    Beltran is not nearly the player he was. His knee has taken away his ability to be the centerfielder he was a few years ago. Making 18 million makes him not much of a bargaining chip unless the Mets eat a huge amount of money. The fact that Beltran has said that he is willing to move to right field should tell us something about what he thinks about his knee. I think he knows those days are over.

On another note being that you took the time to give us your state of the 2011 Mets:

Honestly I sit and I read your posts sometimes and have to nod my head. I know your a huge fan which is a great thing, but you have to seperate yourself from the guys you like from the guys that are true cornerstones of a team. I remember Steve Henderson being my favorite Met in the late 70's and would have hated to see him go, but in reality he was expendable.

I will agree that it would take a huge lopsided trade for me to get rid of Wright or Reyes (especially if they smarten up and move Citi fences like they should). I also wouldnt trade Ike, but anyone else on your list is tradeable. Honestly Citi Field as currently constructed and both players 100% healthy Reyes is by far the more valuable of the two. By far. If they have no intention of fixing what these morons constructed at Citi...Wright is not nearly as big an asset as he was 3 years ago. A sad but true fact.

Are you really going to tell me if someone offered you a great package for Santana that you wouldnt take it? He is not going to pitch to mid season, and you know that when he comes back he wont be Santana for 2011 atleast. He will be 32 come next season and probably 33 when he is fully recovered making 22.5 million next year for basically nothing. Are you telling me you wouldnt trade him if the right deal came along? Now nobody would be stupid enough to make an offer but I am just saying.

Pagan not tradeable? Really? Angel Pagan? When did he become a cornerstone player? Dont get me wrong I like Pagan. He is good with the glove and a good hitter, but when you say untradeable that is a bit much. Car-Go on the Rockies is my idea of untradeable, not Pagan. Pagan is a supplemental piece of a team, not a building block.

I feel the same way about Niese, and Mejia. I wouldnt give them away but I would listen. I like Niese - a 24 year old lefty, but its not like we are talking about Kershaw here. We have no clue what Mejia is at this point. Let me clarify - I am not saying trade either one, but to use the term "untouchable"....no, not at all.

Comment

Oh God no, definitely do not want Beltran on this team anymore. Time to move on...

Comment

Originally posted by majorleads View Post
        Oh God no, definitely do not want Beltran on this team anymore. Time to move on...

What are your reasons??
        "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Comment

Originally posted by m8644 View Post
          What are your reasons??

He's unreliable. Time to move on and start seeing what we have down on the farm. Also don't want to see him in center field. If we had a DH then I'd take him back for his last year, but we don't so dump him on the Sox.

I might however be willing to keep him for one more season if we hire Backman as manager. But Pagan would have to play center. Those are my non negotiable terms.

I hate Jason Bay too.

Comment

He's unreliable. Time to move on and start seeing what we have down on the farm. Also don't want to see him in center field. If we had a DH then I'd take him back for his last year, but we don't so dump him on the Sox.

I might however be willing to keep him for one more season if we hire Backman as manager. But Pagan would have to play center. Those are my non negotiable terms.

I hate Jason Bay too.
            Ok I can understand not wanting Beltran back, but whats the difference if Backman is the manager?

Comment

I hate Jason Bay too.
              Did he run over your dog?
              The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

I like Bay and Beltran.

Comment

Beltran can be a little touchy and distant in his relations with people. His comments about wanting to stay in NY are nothing more than a guy being polite and not burning any bridges unnecessarily.
                  Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST View Post
                    Beltran can be a little touchy and distant in his relations with people. His comments about wanting to stay in NY are nothing more than a guy being polite and not burning any bridges unnecessarily.
                    Why does being a quiet guy who keeps to himself mean that he his touchy and distant??

Did the media tell you that?
                    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                      Ok I can understand not wanting Beltran back, but whats the difference if Backman is the manager?
                      My happiness in seeing Backman get the job will override having to put up with Beltran's sourpuss mug for one more season. I still want Beltran gone ASAP though.

Comment

My happiness in seeing Backman get the job will override having to put up with Beltran's sourpuss mug for one more season. I still want Beltran gone ASAP though.
                        Well I hate to tell you this but I think your already 0-2 on the 2011 season.

Comment

sourpuss mug??.........my god some mets fans really have NO appreciation for the player we had.

Half this fan base deserves more Jeff Francouer's........he smiles!!

Comment

Originally posted by m8644 View Post
                            sourpuss mug??.........my god some mets fans really have NO appreciation for the player we had.

Half this fan base deserves more Jeff Francouer's........he smiles!!
                            Funny thing is half the fan base wants more Francouers. One of the worst hitting OF'ers, but man O' man could he throw.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                              Well I hate to tell you this but I think your already 0-2 on the 2011 season.

I've been 0-2 since the beginning of the 1987 season, so what else is new?

However, I do take solace in knowing that A)No matter what at most Beltran, Ollie and Castillo will not be Mets in 2012 B)We will not sign any free agents to long term bloated contracts this offseason C)FINALLY we are committed to building our franchise through our farm system - hallelujah!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X