Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aldersons father was killed on Saturday.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aldersons father was killed on Saturday.

Obviously he wont be around for a week or so. He was a pedestrian hit by a car.

Not that its nearly as important but they wont choose a manager anytime soon.

That's sad to hear, even worse for the mets.

I wonder what happens now...
    General baseball forum
    Visit my baseball blog

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Halladay View Post
      That's sad to hear, even worse for the mets.

I wonder what happens now...
      Nothing happens is my guess. Everything on the Met end is put on hold. Also the Met end at a time like this is really not important.

Comment

Very sad news. They still interviewed Jose Oquendo today. But they probably won't do anything until Friday at the earliest.
        "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

My condolences to him. His father was a military veteran as is Alderson himself.
          Just call me a sports fan.

Comment

The killer driver won't even face any charges! How screwed up is THAT?
            It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
              The killer driver won't even face any charges! How screwed up is THAT?
              Sometimes it's just an accident. No DUI, no wreckless driving. He didn't see the man late at night. Why should he face charges?

Comment

^ He killed somebody. The fact that he did so while driving a car does sort of presuppose negligence, doesn't it?

He said he didn't see Alderson's dad crossing the street. Why is that relevant? If he still managed to strike and kill the man, I would think that indicates a lack of control of the car. Especially late at night, when you're supposed to be extra vigilant.

I mean, it's not like the elder Alderson ran out in front of the car at the last second. He was just walking along as a normal pedestrian would. How exactly the hell could the driver have NOT seen him?

I'd like to see this guy hauled before Sandy himself and have to explain to him what happened.
                Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; 11-17-2010, 09:37 AM.
                It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

^ He killed somebody. The fact that he did so while driving a car does sort of presuppose negligence, doesn't it?

He said he didn't see Alderson's dad crossing the street. Why is that relevant? If he still managed to strike and kill the man, I would think that indicates a lack of control of the car. Especially late at night, when you're supposed to be extra vigilant.

I'd like to see this guy hauled before Sandy himself and have to explain to him what happened.
                  Unless we know the details its all speculation. No I dont think we should presuppose negligence. What if his father just walked out into traffic where he shouldnt have? Maybe Alderson father was negligent. Sometimes things just fall into the catergory of "tragic accident".

Comment

I could be wrong and didn't wish to speak ill of the deceased but I thought I read the accident happened in the middle of the block.

Comment

AFAIK, Alderson's father was an Air Force veteran and was in peak physical shape. So I find it extremely unlikely that he just ran out in the middle of the road without any warning.

About the only other explanation I can think of would be if the street lights in the area were down and thus it was too dark. Then again in a situation like that, the driver should not have been going fast enough to kill someone anyway.

Comment

I think you're being unfair. Accidents happen. This was a well known person's father being killed by a "nobody" kid who had a prior for a minor drug offense. If the police found no need to charge him or even give him a ticket then I feel pretty confident that there was NO reason to.

Comment

Even if it was an accident, it could still have been the driver's fault. Do we know WHY he hit Alderson's father? What made him do that? What caused the accident? We don't know that yet, do we? (Like I said, though, I find it EXTREMELY unlikely that Alderson sr. could have possibly done anything to cause this - he was after all a veteran of the Air Force and was in excellent physical condition. So he could not have just wandered out there.)

Then again, the driver will have to live with that death on his conscience for the rest of his life. That, in itself, is some form of punishment...

I still think he should be made to face Sandy and beg forgiveness, though. If Sandy chooses to forgive the driver, he has that right, of course. I confess I don't know if I could do the same if it had been my father who was killed.
                          Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; 11-17-2010, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Even if it was an accident, it could still have been the driver's fault. Do we know WHY he hit Alderson's father? What made him do that? What caused the accident? We don't know that yet, do we? (Like I said, though, I find it EXTREMELY unlikely that Alderson sr. could have possibly done anything to cause this - he was after all a veteran of the Air Force and was in excellent physical condition. So he could not have just wandered out there.)

Then again, the driver will have to live with that death on his conscience for the rest of his life. That, in itself, is some form of punishment...

I still think he should be made to face Sandy and beg forgiveness, though. If Sandy chooses to forgive the driver, he has that right, of course. I confess I don't know if I could do the same if it had been my father who was killed.
                            What does one's physical conditon have to do with whether one crosses between the crosswalks or mid block? Maybe his car was parked mid block or some store you and it would be inefficient timewise to walk all the way up the block to the corner to wait for a walk sign just because he is fit and a vet? We just don't know exactly what happened.
                            Father of Mets GM Alderson killed crossing St. Petersburg street: That is a link to the St. Petersberg Times article (which I am sure I botched). Anyhow it says he crossed near the intersection (not at) so that answers one question. The other is what we teach our children to do before crossing. Its unfortunate that a momentary lapse on one or oth mens parts shoud result in a death.

Comment

If it was the drivers fault and if he were operating his vehicle in a negligent way then I suppose the police would have issued a citation. They didn't. They investigated and found no reason to charge him. You cna read anything you want into it, but then it's just your speculation. we weren't there, the police investigated the scene of the accident. They made a decision. Time to move on.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X