X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trepye
    replied
    Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

I do believe you hop on Alderson at every turn in a pretty unfair manor given the circumstances.
    Do you think that in the cover of his book he can mention, front and center, with a straight face that he "revived' the Mets?? I am not hopping on him just pointing out that it is a very, VERY, premature statement at this point.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by trepye View Post
    Thanks you for helping me fix my link PP.

Anyways, your above statement goes to show how you know NOTHING on Mets history the past 15 yrs; or you are just making stuff up. Omar was one of Steve Phillips player development executives; he headed up the Mets international scouting and he was part of much of what Phillips brought in.

I don't mind getting into these debates with you PP its always nice for folks to see different viewpoints and make their own opinions so long at they are based on FACT, not constant meandering through your favorite GM's talking points. Stop DISTORTING reality through misinformation, its not fair to the folks who are trying to make their own opinion. Do some research because the truth MATTERS:

http://www.metstoday.com/9119/13-14-...th-vs-reality/
    As the author eloquently culminates his research:
    Bottom line: I’m tired of revisionist history, and frightened of a society where if enough people re-quote a popular opinion repeatedly over time, it becomes reality. Fact-checking is a lost art, for example. Memories are short and not always reliable, which our saber-minded friends remind us regularly. This is baseball, and relatively innocuous in the grand scheme of things — but I’m seeing it elsewhere, thanks to the miracle of the internet. In any case, it was time to set the record straight.

http://nypost.com/2014/05/08/minayas...sons-mets-now/

Of course, Alderson is not limited to his own drafts when it comes to trying to fix the club via promotions or trade. Again, we are hardly at the final report card. But 3 1/2 years into his regime, Alderson remains too beholden to the mess he was hired to clean up.
    Your welcome on the link.

I also like the back and forth - and none of my responses are meant with any animosity. I think our views on baseball are so vastly different that we are bound to disagree on just about everything.

Yes Omar was on Phillips staff so yes he probably had something do with signing Reyes at the very least. Although I am not sure but I will concede that point. I wasnt hiding behind anything nor distorting anything. My real point is that look at what Omar was able to do with the budget given as compared to the $60MM cut Alderson has to make. Look at the list of players Omar signed in his FIRST year here.

On the other hand - do I think Alderson is a great GM? No, but I will not criticize him for the state of the Mets. That is 100% ownership in my opinion. I dont have a favorite GM -- maybe Cashen. Besides that nobody delivered a championship.

I do believe you hop on Alderson at every turn in a pretty unfair manor given the circumstances. The team was broke when he got here - who knows how much drafting ability and drafting resources they even had at that point.

Leave a comment:

• trepye
    replied
    LMAO -- and Aldersons predecessor reaped the benefits of his predecessor by inheriting Wright/Reyes (Phillips administration). Then said predecessor had the never ending check book wide open. Predecessor did not have to cut $60MM off of payroll, not did he inherit the worst designed stadium in human history. With that budget and the team the Wilpons budget for 2.1 million in attendance is a huge amount of people willing to go see the minor league team afforded them.

As soon as predecessor was hired he was allowed to make two major signings with the stolen cash that predecessor spent like water -- Pedro Martinez & Carlos Beltran.

To add insult to injury your link doesnt work.

I hope you did some research on the "net drill" and understand its function now.
    Thanks you for helping me fix my link PP.

Anyways, your above statement goes to show how you know NOTHING on Mets history the past 15 yrs; or you are just making stuff up. Omar was one of Steve Phillips player development executives; he headed up the Mets international scouting and he was part of much of what Phillips brought in.

I don't mind getting into these debates with you PP its always nice for folks to see different viewpoints and make their own opinions so long at they are based on FACT, not constant meandering through your favorite GM's talking points. Stop DISTORTING reality through misinformation, its not fair to the folks who are trying to make their own opinion. Do some research because the truth MATTERS:

http://www.metstoday.com/9119/13-14-...th-vs-reality/
    As the author eloquently culminates his research:
    Bottom line: I’m tired of revisionist history, and frightened of a society where if enough people re-quote a popular opinion repeatedly over time, it becomes reality. Fact-checking is a lost art, for example. Memories are short and not always reliable, which our saber-minded friends remind us regularly. This is baseball, and relatively innocuous in the grand scheme of things — but I’m seeing it elsewhere, thanks to the miracle of the internet. In any case, it was time to set the record straight.

http://nypost.com/2014/05/08/minayas...sons-mets-now/

Of course, Alderson is not limited to his own drafts when it comes to trying to fix the club via promotions or trade. Again, we are hardly at the final report card. But 3 1/2 years into his regime, Alderson remains too beholden to the mess he was hired to clean up.
    Last edited by trepye; 03-16-2015, 07:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    [ATTACH]146644[/ATTACH]
    "Reivived" the Mets?
    Reviv"ed"... As in past tense

I guess it depends on the definition of a revival but I for one do not consider steady decreases in attendance due to talent atrition, multiple free agent signing failures and a consistently bad win-loss record (especially at home since he has changed the playing field). He cannot hang his hat on the pitching rotation because at this point 80% was an inheritance from his predecessor by leaving good prospects or apt trade chips to acquire decent prospects.... He did acquire a 2b prospect by his lonesome; I guess he and the author considered that a good enough support to call his body of work the past 4 yrs Reviving the Mets.

Lets see if this blurb makes the paperback version of this book a couple of years from now...
    LMAO -- and Aldersons predecessor reaped the benefits of his predecessor by inheriting Wright/Reyes (Phillips administration). Then said predecessor had the never ending check book wide open. Predecessor did not have to cut $60MM off of payroll, not did he inherit the worst designed stadium in human history. With that budget and the team the Wilpons budget for 2.1 million in attendance is a huge amount of people willing to go see the minor league team afforded them.

As soon as predecessor was hired he was allowed to make two major signings with the stolen cash that predecessor spent like water -- Pedro Martinez & Carlos Beltran. Then besides inheriting Wright/Reyes -- signing Pedro/Beltran - Minaya's work in the 2005 offseason would further shape the franchise, adding closer Billy Wagner, first baseman Carlos Delgado and veteran catcher Paul Lo Duca. He also strengthened the bench by adding utility infielder José Valentín, first baseman Julio Franco and outfielder Endy Chávez. Bullpen acquisitions included Chad Bradford, Jorge Julio, and Duaner Sánchez.

Wow - pretty amazing what can happen when the checkbook is WIDE open

To add insult to injury your link doesnt work.

I hope you did some research on the "net drill" and understand its function now.
    Last edited by Paulypal; 03-16-2015, 07:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• trepye
    replied

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.2149172

The title of Aldy's new book

Baseball Maverick
    How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    "Reivived" the Mets?
    Reviv"ed"... As in past tense

I guess it depends on the definition of a revival but I for one do not consider steady decreases in attendance due to talent atrition, multiple free agent signing failures and a consistently bad win-loss record (especially at home since he has changed the playing field). He cannot hang his hat on the pitching rotation because at this point 80% was an inheritance from his predecessor by leaving good prospects or apt trade chips to acquire decent prospects.... He did acquire a 2b prospect by his lonesome; I guess he and the author considered that a good enough support to call his body of work the past 4 yrs Reviving the Mets.

Lets see if this blurb makes the paperback version of this book a couple of years from now...
    Last edited by trepye; 03-16-2015, 06:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    How did the Phillies do?? LMAO

Lets think about this....
    Which ballpark has seen more WS championships banners?

Citizen's Bank Ballpark? (One)

or

AT&T Park? (Three)

Holiday, Lee, Hamels at the top of your pitching rotation and a much better batting lineup that the SF Giants ever had in any of their 3 WS championships.

So you saying superior pitching should underachieve for the sake of a couple of more HR's?
    So your saying the Giants won because they play in a big park that is home run stingy?

You need to look a little deeper than that dont you think?

The Giants were 6th in Home Runs and 7th in OPS in 2014. 5th in Runs Scored.

They were 7th in ERA

They were 6th in Fielding %

To say the Giants did this with pitching alone because of their park is more than a little off center.
    Last edited by Paulypal; 03-03-2015, 01:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• trepye
    replied
    Doc, Hamels, Lee..etc playing in an absolute band box. How did they do?
    How did the Phillies do?? LMAO

Lets think about this....
    Which ballpark has seen more WS championships banners?

Citizen's Bank Ballpark? (One)

or

AT&T Park? (Three)

Holiday, Lee, Hamels at the top of your pitching rotation and a much better batting lineup that the SF Giants ever had in any of their 3 WS championships. You really think that that Phillies team should have won only one WS??

So you saying superior pitching should underachieve for the sake of a couple of more HR's?
    Last edited by trepye; 03-03-2015, 01:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Just keep that in mind as the premier pitcher and Gold Glove centerfielder are not allowed to do their thing, so that the Mets batters dont feel like the fences has some sort of major effect on their weak psyches. Strenghts are weakened so that weaknesess are imbued (as well as the visiting teams superior lineups), lets see where that takes us. Lets see how many years of losing miserably at home you can take before minds are changed.
    The better my pitching the smaller I want the field. Again- If I have 5 Kershaw's I would play any team in a phone booth.

The theory that great pitching should pitch in a pitchers park is way off the mark.....way off the mark. This is common thinking but common thinking is wrong.

If my pitchers can hold down your hitting why do I want to depress my offense? It makes no sense. Perfect example are the late 2000's Phillies. Doc, Hamels, Lee..etc playing in an absolute band box. How did they do? They stopped good hitting and allowed their hitters to feast on their dimensions facing pitching that couldnt match up. Did they give up the occassional cheapie? Of course, but overall when you played the Phillies you knew you were in for a tough day against their pitching regardless of park and dimensions.

Now with that said....Citi is still not a small park - it is just more fair than it was. I seriously doubt it becomes a hitters haven like your trying to imply.

Leave a comment:

• trepye
    replied

I am looking forward to the Mets losing a game because someone hits a ball over the RCF by 2 feet. I just cant wait for the following days tirade. Its going to be classic.
    Just keep that in mind as the premier pitcher and Gold Glove centerfielder are not allowed to do their thing, so that the Mets batters dont feel like the fences has some sort of major effect on their weak psyches. Strenghts are weakened so that weaknesess are imbued (as well as the visiting teams superior lineups), lets see where that takes us. Lets see how many years of losing miserably at home you can take before minds are changed.
    Last edited by trepye; 03-03-2015, 05:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• LI METS FAN
    replied
    G
    Did you read the quote your complaining about?

What that quote is saying is that the players have to stop making excuses about park size and broadcasters. He is putting the onus on the players which isnt a bad thing.

I am looking forward to the Mets losing a game because someone hits a ball over the RCF by 2 feet. I just cant wait for the following days tirade. Its going to be classic.
    I'd rather see them win a game because someone hits a ball over the RCF by 2 feet.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.2133856

Fences moved in, Ojeda gone.... Yes, Aldy has everything in place now....

"But I would argue that embracing higher expectations is an important step for a team that simply became too accepting of losing in recent years, leaning on excuses about everything from the size of the ballpark to “negativity" from their broadcasters."
    Did you read the quote your complaining about?

What that quote is saying is that the players have to stop making excuses about park size and broadcasters. He is putting the onus on the players which isnt a bad thing.

Leave a comment:

• trepye
    replied
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.2133856

Fences moved in, Ojeda gone.... Yes, Aldy has everything in place now....

"But I would argue that embracing higher expectations is an important step for a team that simply became too accepting of losing in recent years, leaning on excuses about everything from the size of the ballpark to “negativity" from their broadcasters."

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by Strawman View Post
    Oh yeah, Alderson wanted a critic like Ojeda gone.

What this shows is that Alderson was the perfect choice for the Wilpons. He's the yin to their yang.

Yet people insist he has a great "plan" and are happy about farm team rankings. Maybe they ought to post those rankings on the fancy new scoreboard instead of the actual score and standings.
    If Alderson wasnt doing the exact job that the Wilpons want him to be doing he would have been fired. So Bobby O saying that the Wilpons "are the biggest Met fans you will meet" is nothing but a bunch of bull$hit.

Anyone who believes 1% of that needs to rethink it.
    Last edited by Paulypal; 02-05-2015, 07:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Strawman
    replied
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.2102282

Per article:
    “The Wilpons and Mr. Saul Katz — the people who say they don’t care about the team are sorely misguided,” Ojeda said by phone, while boarding a flight to the Bahamas. “These are the biggest Mets fans you will meet.

“Last I checked, Fred is not the general manager. Last I checked, Jeff is not the general manager. Last I checked, Saul is not the general manager. So the people they’ve put in those positions are ones who have failed, and what have they done? They have tried to make changes, bring in the right people.”

Something has to be said for the way that Ojeda defends the Wilpons.... It goes to show how they aloof they are and oblivious to how bad they are being misguided by this Idiot-GM. Aldy should not never get another GM job after this.

That being said it does seem very obvious that the profit margins Aldy brings in is a big source of this blinding effect. They are still sorely at fault; but at least this SOLIDIFIES my suspicion that the GM is behind all the controversial mentalities of this franchise that has disgusted and dismayed much of the fan base and Aldy is gasoline to fire that is the ownership-fan base relationship.
    Oh yeah, Alderson wanted a critic like Ojeda gone.

What this shows is that Alderson was the perfect choice for the Wilpons. He's the yin to their yang.

Yet people insist he has a great "plan" and are happy about farm team rankings. Maybe they ought to post those rankings on the fancy new scoreboard instead of the actual score and standings.

Leave a comment:

• trepye
    replied
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.2102282

Per article:
    “The Wilpons and Mr. Saul Katz — the people who say they don’t care about the team are sorely misguided,” Ojeda said by phone, while boarding a flight to the Bahamas. “These are the biggest Mets fans you will meet.

“Last I checked, Fred is not the general manager. Last I checked, Jeff is not the general manager. Last I checked, Saul is not the general manager. So the people they’ve put in those positions are ones who have failed, and what have they done? They have tried to make changes, bring in the right people.”

Something has to be said for the way that Ojeda defends the Wilpons.... It goes to show how they aloof they are and oblivious to how bad they are being misguided by this Idiot-GM. Aldy should not never get another GM job after this.

That being said it does seem very obvious that the profit margins Aldy brings in is a big source of this blinding effect. They are still sorely at fault; but at least this SOLIDIFIES my suspicion that the GM is behind all the controversial mentalities of this franchise that has disgusted and dismayed much of the fan base and Aldy is gasoline to fire that is the ownership-fan base relationship.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X