No announcement yet.

The Sandy Alderson Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like the idea of drafting college players over high school players. They tend to rise through the minors A LOT quicker.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
      There is a reason for chasing Latin projects as opposed to U.S. talent.........they come cheaper. As of now its less $$$$ to sign a player from the DR than Iowa. The Wilpons have stooped this low to player development. That is why this team is in shambles. I am not sure how many actually grasp this.
      I really hope it isn't because of money, these players take soooooo long to develop that it ends up costing the team more in the long run. It also takes away roster spots that we could use on later round draft picks that we've scouted extensively.

But with Sandy everything I'm hearing so far it sounds like there will be a renewed emphasis on scouting and selecting the best talent here in the US. The Wilpons should never have listened to Omar, he set this franchise back many years. Omar also screwed us by helping to design an outdated ballpark fit for the 1980's St.louis Cardinals and a team filled with players like Jose Reyes.

Just get me Albert Pujols and lets call it a day.

Comment

• Originally posted by CokeMachineGlow View Post
        I like the idea of drafting college players over high school players. They tend to rise through the minors A LOT quicker.
        I don't have a preference, just want the best talent from the US. I'd rather take a high school player with tremendous upside than take a college player with no upside. But it all depends on the player of course and thats where good scouting here at home will come into play. This is where Sandy and his crew will be light years ahead of Omar. (hopefully)

Comment

• Originally posted by majorleads View Post
          I really hope it isn't because of money, these players take soooooo long to develop that it ends up costing the team more in the long run. It also takes away roster spots that we could use on later round draft picks that we've scouted extensively.

But with Sandy everything I'm hearing so far it sounds like there will be a renewed emphasis on scouting and selecting the best talent here in the US. The Wilpons should never have listened to Omar, he set this franchise back many years. Omar also screwed us by helping to design an outdated ballpark fit for the 1980's St.louis Cardinals and a team filled with players like Jose Reyes.

Just get me Albert Pujols and lets call it a day.
          Originally posted by majorleads View Post
          I don't have a preference, just want the best talent from the US. I'd rather take a high school player with tremendous upside than take a college player with no upside. But it all depends on the player of course and thats where good scouting here at home will come into play. This is where Sandy and his crew will be light years ahead of Omar. (hopefully)
          Its indeed because of money. You hear it all the time how the Latin players are signed for a fraction of what U.S. players are signed for.

Personally I dont care where the talent comes from. I dont care if its from P.R., D.R., or the U.S.. I just want the best possible players drafted and scouted through the system.

To say "I want the best talent from the U.S." sounds like your cutting it short. Latin countries are a hot-bed of talent. Just because Omar and his staff of clowns didnt find much doesnt mean it doesnt exist. I also want the best talent in the U.S...............and all the Latin countries, Europe, Asian countries, Mars, Pluto........where ever their is talent I want to be there.

Comment

• Geez, you guys are a tough crowd. Sure the title of the thread is purposely over the top to spur conversation, but I'm deadly serious about the utter and disturbing failure of this crew so far.

Here's a quick quiz for all your knowledgeable fans: how many games under .500 were the 2010 Mets?

Here's another: how many additional wins would it take for this Mets take to get into contention for a wild card - you know, like, say, the Rockies?

Yet you think it's ok for management to basically do nothing, to sit back in evaluation mode - hoping for a few scraps before Port St. Lucie - while (it seems) shopping one of the young two all-timers on the current squad.

And, for the most part, the discussion here has been good and interesting (outside of some over-the-top personal diatribe, none of which was from me). So stay calm, make your points, and tell me why Sandy Alderson still looks good?
            Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post
              It was also reported on baseball fever that Strawman went to another internet site and set a new record for getting banned, so it seems his act is wearing thin. He actually is a very knowledgeable Mets fan and should stop the act.
              Reported by whom? Consider that source very carefully....
              Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post
                Geez, you guys are a tough crowd. Sure the title of the thread is purposely over the top to spur conversation, but I'm deadly serious about the utter and disturbing failure of this crew so far.

Here's a quick quiz for all your knowledgeable fans: how many games under .500 were the 2010 Mets?

Here's another: how many additional wins would it take for this Mets take to get into contention for a wild card - you know, like, say, the Rockies?

Yet you think it's ok for management to basically do nothing, to sit back in evaluation mode - hoping for a few scraps before Port St. Lucie - while (it seems) shopping one of the young two all-timers on the current squad.

And, for the most part, the discussion here has been good and interesting (outside of some over-the-top personal diatribe, none of which was from me). So stay calm, make your points, and tell me why Sandy Alderson still looks good?
                What HAS he done to warrant his firing already?

It's not like he is aggressively shopping our best players or throwing tons of money at free agents like Minaya did. So far, all he has done is acquired some players that can help the team, but can't hurt the team.

You're the one that needs to calm down.

Comment

Geez, you guys are a tough crowd. Sure the title of the thread is purposely over the top to spur conversation, but I'm deadly serious about the utter and disturbing failure of this crew so far.

Everyone thinks its funny when a dog chases its own tail. I guess you think its ok for the Mets to do the same.

It doesnt matter how many under .500 they were or how many out of the WC they were. The point is and the point that you cant seem to grasp is that this team as a whole is in shambles. They are coming into 2011 with 75 million dollars of payroll having no clue what they are getting for it (Santana, Beltran, Bay, Perez, Castillo)...they also have another 25 million in "home grown" players that have either been riddled with injury or declining numbers DURING THEIR PEAK YEARS. As I stated eariler this makes the Mets a 100 million dollar question mark. Yet you want them to go out and throw money around to compete.

So with the above being facts do you really think they are close? Do you really want to continue in the same path as Omar and throw money at the one big FA and hope it just all works out?

Also from what I have read Omar had some input on the dimensions of the park. Something else we can blame that idiot for. Citi is the worst thing that has ever happened to the Mets (as its currently constructed). Two seasons in that park and they have been disasters while ruining the franchise player. The worst thing that has happened to the Mets by far is Citi Field. Geniuses.

Another thing that you are seemingly clueless about is that Alderson doesnt own the team. He has to work in the guidelines of a budget set by ownership. After the 2011 season they have a ton of money coming off the books. Alderson has to wait for that to happen, and so do we. This comes from ownership not the GM.

Comment

• well I can understand strawman to some extend. he wants a competitive team next year. Of course the process will be longer and this off season will not happen much.

But I also can understand mets fans if they don't want a wasted year. the met owneers want long term sucess, but I'm sure they would not like if all mets fans said "no problem I will turn on TV and buy ticket again in '12. the mets for sure wouldn't like zero revenue next season, so they at least have some obligations for the mets fans in 11. tickets are expensive and they have to deliver something to justify that.

on the other hand the mets situation is not easy. some bad signings to compensate could hurt the team for years. So viewing it long term a bridge year in 11 would be the best thing.

those 2 are conflicting interests. you want to win long term but you also owe the mets fans who pay a lot a good product in 11.
                    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

• Originally posted by dominik View Post
                      well I can understand strawman to some extend. he wants a competitive team next year. Of course the process will be longer and this off season will not happen much.

But I also can understand mets fans if they don't want a wasted year. the met owneers want long term sucess, but I'm sure they would not like if all mets fans said "no problem I will turn on TV and buy ticket again in '12. the mets for sure wouldn't like zero revenue next season, so they at least have some obligations for the mets fans in 11. tickets are expensive and they have to deliver something to justify that.

on the other hand the mets situation is not easy. some bad signings to compensate could hurt the team for years. So viewing it long term a bridge year in 11 would be the best thing.

those 2 are conflicting interests. you want to win long term but you also owe the mets fans who pay a lot a good product in 11.
                      Everyone wants a contender, but common sense needs to win out. The long term is more important than 2011 alone.

If any fan feels they are not getting their money's worth - DONT GO -...very simple. No one is twisting their arm to go. The Mets havent been competitive ---truly competitive since 2008...so why is 2011 a "must be competitive" year. I dont buy it.

I dont buy Strawman's argument at all. Its ridiculous. The ownership ruined the organization from top to bottom and its not going to be fixed overnight. The fans have to wait...there is no choice.

Comment

Can you just be patient? It ain't gonna take a day to rebuild Rome. We have to clean out the rubble (Perez and company) and then build this city back up. And we need to rebuild our barren farm system.
                        Just call me a sports fan.

Comment

• Originally posted by AJbaseball00024 View Post
                          Can you just be patient? It ain't gonna take a day to rebuild Rome. We have to clean out the rubble (Perez and company) and then build this city back up. And we need to rebuild our barren farm system.
                          I agree 100%.

Actually there are a couple of big pluses going for the team:

1) We know ownership is willing to spend 130-140 million for the team. Now we also know that this has been mis-directed in previous years, and they havent spent as much on player development

2) They have a management team that have been successful on much less than 130-140 million on the major league payroll. I am hopeful they can spend the money much more wisely.

Even if they spend less on the MLB payroll and put more into player development...I am ok with that too. As long as they get their dollars worth out of the MLB contracts. Spending 130 million but having almost 20 on Perez and Castillo....really isnt spending 130 million is it? Its more like spending 110 million and setting fire to 20 million. Now add in injuries to Beltran, Bay, Johan, and tell me what your getting for your 130 million.

Imagine this team having a WELL SPENT 125 million dollar payroll and putting 15 more million into player development. This is going to take time. We will see some differences after the 2011 season, but to expect anything before that is just no realistic.

Comment

There is a reason for chasing Latin projects as opposed to U.S. talent.........they come cheaper. As of now its less $$$$ to sign a player from the DR than Iowa. The Wilpons have stooped this low to player development. That is why this team is in shambles. I am not sure how many actually grasp this.
                            No. You are very wrong.

With the draft, a team is only able to sign the players that remain on board when it is their time to pick. With international free agency all teams are able to negotiate with all players in the pool including premium talent. Also, if a team signs a high-profile MLB free agent or two, they may lose the opportunity to draft in the first few rounds limiting their ability to acquire premium talent to an even more limited degree.

The reason for chasing Latin American talent is that the talent pool is wide open.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dugmet View Post
                              No. You are very wrong.

With the draft, a team is only able to sign the players that remain on board when it is their time to pick. With international free agency all teams are able to negotiate with all players in the pool including premium talent. Also, if a team signs a high-profile MLB free agent or two, they may lose the opportunity to draft in the first few rounds limiting their ability to acquire premium talent to an even more limited degree.

The reason for chasing Latin American talent is that the talent pool is wide open.
                              Please please please dont ever tell me I am very wrong....you should just nod your head in agreement when reading my posts. This way you avoid any further emarassment. This is just one quote from one of the links:

Dick Balderson, the Colorado Rockies’ Vice President of Player Personnel, said

"Instead of signing four (American) guys at $25,000 each, you sign 20 Dominican guys for $5,000 each. The unfortunate thing about this game is that there are so many people yearning to play it especially in a country like the Dominican Republic, where $1,000-a-year wages are the norm and baseball is a religion practiced by the impoverished."

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/o...f38ac06bf.html
                              http://www.vdare.com/guzzardi/050618_baseball.htm
                              Last edited by Paulypal; 01-02-2011, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Please please please dont ever tell me I am very wrong....you should just nod your head in agreement when reading my posts. This way you avoid any further emarassment. This is just one quote from one of the links:

Dick Balderson, the Colorado Rockies’ Vice President of Player Personnel, said

"Instead of signing four (American) guys at $25,000 each, you sign 20 Dominican guys for $5,000 each. The unfortunate thing about this game is that there are so many people yearning to play it especially in a country like the Dominican Republic, where $1,000-a-year wages are the norm and baseball is a religion practiced by the impoverished."

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/o...f38ac06bf.html
                                http://www.vdare.com/guzzardi/050618_baseball.htm
                                I think it's both. they are cheaper but you can also save draft picks if you sign on the international market.
                                I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X