No announcement yet.

The Sandy Alderson Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You want Cashman? Seriously? Most of his job is just writing a check. Between Posada and Cano, there wasn't one notable player the Yankees produced.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

• Originally posted by CokeMachineGlow View Post
      If Strawman were a Yankee fan, he would be calling for Cashman's head right now.
      He would have called for it three minutes after he signed his contract wondering why the Yankees didnt the World Series in the fifteen minutes he was GM.

Comment

• You want Cashman? Seriously? Most of his job is just writing a check. Between Posada and Cano, there wasn't one notable player the Yankees produced.
        Remember Baseball America thinks that their farm system is better than the Mets' farm system! Every year one of the much maligned players in the Mets' system produces at the MLB level. Name one player that the Yankees have developed outside of Pettite, Posada, Cano, Williams, and Jeter in the last 20 years. Joba doesn't count because he hasn't done anything. Phil Hughes is the only one I can think of.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post
          Yes but the depth of MLB's involvement and the Wilpons' deep financial and legal troubles (known to Selig) are coming to light - making it as clear as the number on David Wright's back that Alderson is a caretaker of sorts for the Metties.

Actually, I wish we had Cashman or a guy like him...though he does seem to be losing it a bit emotionally working for the Steinbrenner Boys.
          lol, Cashman has more mistakes on his resume than ANY Gm in the entire sport......he just happens to have an ownership that will eat money on bad deals or pretend like they dont exist and just keep giving Cashman blank checks
          "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Comment

• And here's Bud Selig's placeholder bashing Jose Reyes, one of two near-great homegrown Mets on the team:

http://metsmerizedonline.com/2011/02...ose-reyes.html

Honest to God, we're headed to a period of lame-ass disaster in Metsland.
            Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Originally posted by pstein View Post
              Remember Baseball America thinks that their farm system is better than the Mets' farm system! Every year one of the much maligned players in the Mets' system produces at the MLB level. Name one player that the Yankees have developed outside of Pettite, Posada, Cano, Williams, and Jeter in the last 20 years. Joba doesn't count because he hasn't done anything. Phil Hughes is the only one I can think of.
              LOL!!!!!! Name one player the Yankees have developed besides the Pettite, Cano, Jeter Williams, Mariano, Posada. Now I have read everything. I would say those are 6 pretty good names. Wouldnt you? A couple of lock HOF'ers, a couple of borderline HOF'ers......with Cano well on his way.

Tell me who the Mets have developed in the last 15 years?

Generation K? Laughable
              The 5 tool - Ryan Thompson???
              The 5 tool - Alex Ochoa????
              The 5 tool - FMart -- I saw him on my milk carton this morning while eating cereal
              Wright - Excellent player...well at least he was
              Reyes -- cant stay healthy - could be a great one
              Ike - time will tell.
              Pelfrey - coo coo for Cocoa Puffs..... we shall see
              Fonzie - excellent player for a while

Listen before we laugh at the neighbor lets be sure our own backyard is in order. The Yankees have developed infinitly more talent than the Mets have since the early to mid 90's.

Comment

And here's Bud Selig's placeholder bashing Jose Reyes, one of two near-great homegrown Mets on the team:

He's not bashing him, just that stolen bases typically play a small role in wins.
                "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                  LOL!!!!!! Name one player the Yankees have developed besides the Pettite, Cano, Jeter Williams, Mariano, Posada. Now I have read everything. I would say those are 6 pretty good names. Wouldnt you? A couple of lock HOF'ers, a couple of borderline HOF'ers......with Cano well on his way.

Tell me who the Mets have developed in the last 15 years?

Generation K? Laughable
                  The 5 tool - Ryan Thompson???
                  The 5 tool - Alex Ochoa????
                  The 5 tool - FMart -- I saw him on my milk carton this morning while eating cereal
                  Wright - Excellent player...well at least he was
                  Reyes -- cant stay healthy - could be a great one
                  Ike - time will tell.
                  Pelfrey - coo coo for Cocoa Puffs..... we shall see
                  Fonzie - excellent player for a while

Listen before we laugh at the neighbor lets be sure our own backyard is in order. The Yankees have developed infinitly more talent than the Mets have since the early to mid 90's.
                  And on top of that, the Yankees actually have a prospect in the top 50. We have no top prospects!
                  Just call me a sports fan.

Comment

And here's Bud Selig's placeholder bashing Jose Reyes, one of two near-great homegrown Mets on the team:

ummm yea, he reallly bashed Reyes there.........if that's what you took from that then I truly don't know what to tell you.

And FYI.....he's actually right, stolen bases historically do not play a huge role in whether you win or lose over the course of a long season.....No one, including him, are saying they are worthless, but they are not the end all be all. I think we can all agree that we'd rather have a player who puts up an OBP of .385 but only steals 19 bases, then have a player who steals 50, but only gets on base at a .320 clip.......but why let facts get in the way of bashing our new front office right. You've had a vendetta against them all offseason......despite every sane mets fan telling you 488 times the truth. Calling him "Bud Selig's Placeholder" really doesnt give your opinion on this topic much relavance.

Please, for the love of god, LET them do their job. They will build a quality organization.........this isn't Steve Phillips, Al Harzazin or Minaya. Baseball executives rave about Alderson, JP and Depodesta's abilities............they know what they are doing. Hell the Marlins' scouts I have contact with are scared to hell that the mets FINALLY have a pretty great and intelligent front office to make decisions.
                    Last edited by m8644; 02-05-2011, 09:26 PM.
                    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Comment

• and FYI......the Jose Reyes we all love, the one from 2006-2008.....is the SAME one Alderson would LOVE. A dynamic shortstop with extra base hit power who got on base with his improving OBP and walk rate. THAT player is worth a great contract

The Jose Reyes of 2010......the one who's walk rate and OBP declined a great deal from those previous years....all the way to a very bad .321.....THAT guy is not worth a long term, 100 million dollar contract.

I DO fully believe that Jose can and will get back to 2006-2008 levels.......and as long as he does, I'd be 100% shocked if they don't pay him

Comment

• If Alderson and Co. doesn't quiet this Reyes trade talk - and simply state that 1. they have no intention of trading Reyes this season, screwing the fans, and "starting over" and 2. that the Mets would like sign Jose to an extension at a reasonable cost if possible - then frankly, the management should change.

I realize it's not going to happen, that Alderson is locked in as Selgi's middle market make-over man of the Mets to try and save the Wilpons their controlling interest. But I also do not welcome another M. Donald Grant in our midst.

And I'm hoping we can attract the attention of the soon-to-be 49% owner of the Mets to let him know he's buying a property that his general manager seems - at least by his silence - to be in favor of immediately de-valuing.
                        Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Your post made little enough sense the first time, no need to repeat it.

Writers will write whatever they want. A decision has not been made on Reyes and may not be for awhile yet. Therefore speculation will continue.

Comment

• Originally posted by metfan13 View Post
                            Your post made little enough sense the first time, no need to repeat it.

Writers will write whatever they want. A decision has not been made on Reyes and may not be for awhile yet. Therefore speculation will continue.

funny thing is that when Alderson was in Oakland....his teams routinely had one of the higher payrolls in the sport....and only when the team was sold in the mid 90's and he was ORDERED to cut payroll drastically did oakland's payroll go extremely down..

but why would writers or some fans want facts.....we dont need facts.

Comment

• Reyes has pretty decent numbers this year, including OBP, which we all know Alderson loves...

I hope he doesn't go, and I think there are better ways to cut payroll--Ollie and Castillo come off the books at the end of the season as it is, and K-Rod and Beltran could very well be gone as well, that's already a great deal of money saved, so I still think given their numbers, history, relation to one another on and off the field (ie, friends off the field, good PR, and then in the field they're a pretty good 3B/SS tandem...with Ike at 1B, if we just had a 2B we might actually have another 1990s-style infield in terms of overall effectiveness, if more with their bats than the leather, as Reyes is no Ordonez in the field, but then Ordonez was no Reyes with the bat...but I digress) and the fact they're homegrown and the fan backlash would be immense, Reyes has at least a fair shot--do you hear, naysayers, Sir Paul, to protect myself from accusations of Koolaidism, a shot--at staying.

But we'll see.

(If nothing else, I hope he stays past the first week of July; hoping to get to drive down with a couple of friends to Dodger Stadium a couple of hours away and see one of the Mets/Dodgers games in July, maybe the July 4th game, and it'd be great if I could see Jose...especially if it's the only chance I might get to see him play live in a Mets uniform...)
                              "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

• Again....

I hope they keep Jose, but he will not give a home town discount...nor should he. This will probably be his one and only shot at a big time free agent contract (depending on the length, but even a 5 year brings Jose to 32 and for a speed guy thats not young)

What I am saying is Jose may be insane not to test the FA market no matter what is offered before hand. He is putting together a nice year as of today and his price is only going to go up if the trend continues.

Also given the positional scarcity at SS Jose is going to be THEE free agent this off season this side of Pujols. Basically its not really upto the Mets if Jose signs here,,,,its upto Jose and his agent.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X