No announcement yet.

The Sandy Alderson Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mets are on the hook for $66.8 million next year (86% of that is going to just three players). It comes down to how much of a budget can they afford. They'll probably lose about $60M this year with a $143M payroll, so look for them to cap their budget at about $100M going forward. That leaves $33.2M to spend on all new aquisitions and arb for Pelfrey.

Reyes is going to want $20M and a long term deal. I don't see how that fits in with the Mets finances, so you have to assume he's as good as gone before the trading deadline so they at least get something back. The Mets have to shop him around to get the best deal and there's no reason Alderson shouldn't let the press speculate as much as they want

Comment

• Originally posted by m8644 View Post
      Back in October when Alderson was hired it was KNOWN that Selig was the one who pushed hard for the mets to give Sandy the job......it's not "coming out now", it's been known for months. And I thank Selig for that....a man with Sandy's talents and the front office staff he brought in can only help this franchise.
      Ditto. It's laughable to think that Omar would have returned this year "as surely as the sun rises" had it not been for Selig's intervention. A franchise can win without a $150 million dollar payroll, but not with an incompetent GM running the show. I still think we're in better shape now than we were 3 years ago (pre-Madoff) if, for no other reason, the difference between Sandy and Omar.
      "We have a plan; and I like our plan." ...Omar
      "I belive in our minor leagers; and I like our minor leagers." ...Omar

Comment

• What's up with BF and the double posts? Anyways, a 7.9 BB% isn't good enough for a lead off hitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by CokeMachineGlow View Post
          What's up with BF and the double posts? Anyways, a 7.9 BB% isn't good enough for a lead off hitter.
          Yeah too bad Jose didn't walk more last night.

Look, he's the best middle infielder in Mets history and a top ten all-time Met who is obviously much-coveted by well-run organizations who love to have him hit lead-off and play SS for the next 5-6 years. The Mets would be insane not to lock him up as soon as possible.

If rumored soon-to-be-half-owner Steve Cohen has any business sense at all, he will order Alderson to make it so when handing over his check for several hundred million.
          Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Originally posted by CokeMachineGlow View Post
            What's up with BF and the double posts? Anyways, a 7.9 BB% isn't good enough for a lead off hitter.
            That's what happens when the browser hangs and the user hits the "Reply" button muiltiple times.

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
            Yeah too bad Jose didn't walk more last night.

Look, he's the best middle infielder in Mets history and a top ten all-time Met who is obviously much-coveted by well-run organizations who love to have him hit lead-off and play SS for the next 5-6 years. The Mets would be insane not to lock him up as soon as possible.

If rumored soon-to-be-half-owner Steve Cohen has any business sense at all, he will order Alderson to make it so when handing over his check for several hundred million.
            I couldn't agree more. Reyes and Wright should be two of the untouchables, and they should be paid accordingly. When we think about how little we're paying Davis (another untouchable), the numbers should balance out.
            Put it in the books.

Comment

• 2 triples, 1 single, 1 walk, and 2 runs scored on 5 ABs.

So that's 3/4 with a walk, if you're keeping score, on bae 4/5 times...

I think that's worth keeping and paying, Sandy.

Wright/Reyes/Ike as untouchables, and the others...come what may, anyone else--though I'd like a couple of others to be kept, Pagan and Beltran and Johan--is tradeable.
              "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

• Sandy doesn't set the budget, this Mets ownership can't afford Reyes - he's already gone

Comment

• Not saying I don't want to keep Reyes, just pointing out a flaw.

Comment

• Originally posted by GordonGecko View Post
                    Sandy doesn't set the budget, this Mets ownership can't afford Reyes - he's already gone

Wait a second here man......you're telling me that sandy doesnt have control over the budget, that he doesnt set the prices at the concessions or parking, that he doesnt control the prices at the mets clubhouse shop or the ticket prices?

From reading this thread....I know all these things to be true......you cant be telling me that i've been believing a lie can you?
                    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Comment

• The thing I dont understand here is that Aldersons name is getting linked to not keeping Reyes. Somehow this became Aldersons cross to bear. Now I know most of you have been watching baseball for more than 15 minutes in your life - so I am forced to ask you all one more time.................... Are you kidding me?

Yes Reyes should be an untouchable.........even more than David Wright, but it doesnt matter what "should" be. The Wilpons own the team not Alderson. Reyes is going to command over 100 million dollars. If he keeps having this type of season it could be much more than 100 million dollars.

Do you really think that the broke ass Wilpons are paying that kind of money? Not Alderson..........so stop using him as the scapegoat.............but the Wilpons.

Alderson has said publicly that the jury is out on Reyes because of his OBP. Well he has to try to sell you something for when Reyes gets traded.

OF COURSE Alderson wants to keep Reyes. When healthy their arent many -if any- that can do what Reyes can do. So dont be nieve in thinking that Alderson wants Reyes gone. He is the front man for the man that signs his paychecks, and he knows that the odds of signing Reyes is slim to none. So he is going to take the heat for it. As any employee would do.

If the Wilpons came up with the 100 million to sign Reyes and told Alderson that he needs to sign him that Alderson would say "No"?. Cmon wake up-- of course he would. What other shortstops have that skill set? None.

So yes keeping Reyes is a no brainer--- the problem is the Wilpons have no brains ----- or money. I understand all this money is coming off the books that doesnt mean the Wilpons are going to lock up another 100+ million immediately. If the Mets have a $70 million payroll next year its because the Wilpons said so, not because Alderson thinks thats the best team he could put out there. If this isnt obvious than you need to drink a Monster (lo-carb if you can) and wake up.

If Alderson worked for the Yanks would they have a $70 million payroll? Uhh no because Hal/Hank tell him what to do. Just like Cashman didnt want to sign Soriano.....but what happened? Yes thats right Cashman listened to his boss...see how that works?

Stop blaming Alderson when the checkbook is not his.....its starting to sound stupid.
                      Last edited by Paulypal; 05-07-2011, 01:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                        The thing I dont understand here is that Aldersons name is getting linked to not keeping Reyes. Somehow this became Aldersons cross to bear. Now I know most of you have been watching baseball for more than 15 minutes in your life - so I am forced to ask you all one more time.................... Are you kidding me?

Yes Reyes should be an untouchable.........even more than David Wright, but it doesnt matter what "should" be. The Wilpons own the team not Alderson. Reyes is going to command over 100 million dollars. If he keeps having this type of season it could be much more than 100 million dollars.

Do you really think that the broke ass Wilpons are paying that kind of money? Not Alderson..........so stop using him as the scapegoat.............but the Wilpons.

Alderson has said publicly that the jury is out on Reyes because of his OBP. Well he has to try to sell you something for when Reyes gets traded.

OF COURSE Alderson wants to keep Reyes. When healthy their arent many -if any- that can do what Reyes can do. So dont be nieve in thinking that Alderson wants Reyes gone. He is the front man for the man that signs his paychecks, and he knows that the odds of signing Reyes is slim to none. So he is going to take the heat for it. As any employee would do.

If the Wilpons came up with the 100 million to sign Reyes and told Alderson that he needs to sign him that Alderson would say "No"?. Cmon wake up-- of course he would. What other shortstops have that skill set? None.

So yes keeping Reyes is a no brainer--- the problem is the Wilpons have no brains ----- or money. I understand all this money is coming off the books that doesnt mean the Wilpons are going to lock up another 100+ million immediately. If the Mets have a $70 million payroll next year its because the Wilpons said so, not because Alderson thinks thats the best team he could put out there. If this isnt obvious than you need to drink a Monster (lo-carb if you can) and wake up.

If Alderson worked for the Yanks would they have a $70 million payroll? Uhh no because Hal/Hank tell him what to do. Just like Cashman didnt want to sign Soriano.....but what happened? Yes thats right Cashman listened to his boss...see how that works?

Stop blaming Alderson when the checkbook is not his.....its starting to sound stupid.
                        As has been made clear since he signed on, Alderson is the decision-maker in this front office. Yes, he will work within a budget - but as he himself has said many times, it won't be a tiny budget, it will be still be large enough to sign quality players. This will be 100% black and white Sandy Alderson's call - unless, as I've noted (and frankly hope for!) the new "minority" owner steps in and stops the madness.

You keep referencing $100 million but it's intellectually dishonest. The team doesn't have to come up with a $100 million check for Jose Reyes - it may well have to pay him that over 5-6 years or more, and even with attendance down 15% this year, there's quite a bit of operating revenue left in the New York Mets. The really number is probably $18 million. The point to understand is this: without Reyes, that operating revenue will decline by some factor. He's the greatest middle infielder in team history, a brilliant and entertaining talent who jazzes up the fan base like no other Met. That sells.

Indeed, as a pure business decision it's literally insane for a team with a $1 billion market value in New York to break up the team's best homegrown core players. I'm liking the Mets infield quite a bit this year, still holding out hope that Wright will return to form and hit the baseball. It would be a grave error on Sandy Alderson's part to break it up.
                        Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post
                          As has been made clear since he signed on, Alderson is the decision-maker in this front office. Yes, he will work within a budget - but as he himself has said many times, it won't be a tiny budget, it will be still be large enough to sign quality players. This will be 100% black and white Sandy Alderson's call - unless, as I've noted (and frankly hope for!) the new "minority" owner steps in and stops the madness.

You keep referencing $100 million but it's intellectually dishonest. The team doesn't have to come up with a $100 million check for Jose Reyes - it may well have to pay him that over 5-6 years or more, and even with attendance down 15% this year, there's quite a bit of operating revenue left in the New York Mets. The really number is probably $18 million. The point to understand is this: without Reyes, that operating revenue will decline by some factor. He's the greatest middle infielder in team history, a brilliant and entertaining talent who jazzes up the fan base like no other Met. That sells.

Indeed, as a pure business decision it's literally insane for a team with a $1 billion market value in New York to break up the team's best homegrown core players. I'm liking the Mets infield quite a bit this year, still holding out hope that Wright will return to form and hit the baseball. It would be a grave error on Sandy Alderson's part to break it up.
                          I agree with you on this except for the fact that its up to Alderson. I dont care whats said or insinuated this is not Aldersons decision. Although they dont need to come up with 100 million in year one its still 100 million commitment, something I dont see the Wilpons backing.

I agree its insane for a team in this market to break up the core, but this is the Mets we are talking about. Basically they have become a second rate laughing stock...regardless of the market.

Also the fact that he says "it wont be a tiny budget" still leaves un answered questions. There is still no dollar amount connected to "not tiny". Is not tiny 60 million or 120 million?

A minority owner is a band-aid on the problem. Anything that keeps the Wilpons as owners I am dead against.

Comment

you still COMPLETELY, 100% do not get it.......Please logically explain to all of us how it would be Alderson's fault if Wilpon goes up to him and says "Sorry Sandy, we simply cant afford to sign Jose Reyes, you're going to have to do what you wish with him, whether that be trade him or just let him walk for draft picks at the end of the year, but you cannot sign him to the deal he is looking for, it's simply not in our budget right now"

Please explain how it's Alderson's fault at that point......and, go!
                            "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Comment

• Here's the thing - if Sandy Alderson is indeed a great and experienced baseball man, he would (and should) resign immediately if ownership instructed him to take a course as clearly damaging to the franchise and fan base as trading Jose Reyes and/or not trying to sign him. He message would be simple: these people are lunatics. I won't be part of this.

That Alderson clearly won't walk back any of the Reyes trade talk shows that he's feeding this to the media. I think he's the architect of Plan Reyes. Believe me, I wish I were wrong.

At least right now .... maybe this will change with new half-ownership that doesn't want madness driving the investment value down.

Comment

Here's the thing - if Sandy Alderson is indeed a great and experienced baseball man, he would (and should) resign immediately if ownership instructed him to take a course as clearly damaging to the franchise and fan base as trading Jose Reyes and/or not trying to sign him. He message would be simple: these people are lunatics. I won't be part of this.

That Alderson clearly won't walk back any of the Reyes trade talk shows that he's feeding this to the media. I think he's the architect of Plan Reyes. Believe me, I wish I were wrong.

At least right now .... maybe this will change with new half-ownership that doesn't want madness driving the investment value down.

Well you are wrong if you think he's the artitect of Plan Reyes.........I ASSURE you, he wants to keep Jose......shortstop is as weak a position right now as it's been in many, many years......and he knows how valuable Reyes is as one of the very best in the game at his spot. I simply do not know how to make that any more clear than that. I just dont.....

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X