Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cowtipper
    replied
    If it weren't for Sandy Alderson, the Mets would have been a 130-win team! ALDERSON SUXXX

Leave a comment:

• LI METS FAN
    replied
    I disagree with the assignment being easy.
    Of all MLB expansion teams since 1960 there is only one team with more than 2 pennants. The Mets. Soon to be joined by either the Jays or KC.

Easy assignment is a term for other people's work product. Our own work product is always challenging and difficult.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Justin Turner was not a good player with the Mets/Orioles and showed nothing of changing that. He had an OPS of .660 after his age 28 season with the Mets. At the time he left the Mets his WAR was .7 (yes there is a decimal in front of the 7) in his career, and this is the big fish that got away.

The Mets releasing him obviously made him put foot to ass and turn himself into a good player - which is good for him, but the Mets getting rid of him was a non move.

You keep using this as an example and driving it home because this highlights your opinion of Alderson as a mistake when in actuality at the time it wasnt.

Where is the same outrage for trading Josh Thole who at the time of his trade had a 1.4 WAR with the Mets. That must not count because Thole despite being a less talented player than Turner did not need boot to ass to turn him into something. He just wasnt very good.

Anything else Alderson did - although he did it in a douche manor - he was instructed to do by his boss or MLB baseball. He had a suck job that wasnt going to win him any fans, but he did what he did.

The fact that the bias is so thick is just amazing.

Meanwhile the team is about to play in the WS, and this is still raging on.
    Last edited by Paulypal; 10-22-2015, 01:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    And the Wheeler trade too, current injury issues notwithstanding.
    Alderson was hired with two mandates: kill payroll and assemble a bunch of talent due to mature in 2016 (a year ahead of projected launch of a $3B mall across the street). Not impossible. One third of MLB teams make the post-season and once you're in it you can win it. Just collect as many magic beans as possible and hang onto them. Sacrificing assured talent in the present gets you projected talent with superior ceiling. He hardly made any trades.

Win or lose ownership has a RSN with 9 figure positive cash flow so no need to make much effort before the target date. The only thing that spurred the moves at the deadline this season was an enraged fan base and a hostile press. An appeals court ruling the mall was illegal probably also factored into the decision making process.

Alderson's assignment was pretty easy. As I said over the past few years I'd be astonished if he blew it. His bad moves have outweighed his good. No time or energy to rehash them yet again. Entering this season Justin Turner, who he non-tendered, had more WAR than all his free agent signings combined. That sums it up succinctly.

As I said, a fun part of the NLDS was watching Turner almost destroy the Mets single-handedly. The only reason Alderson is getting this praise now is because another guy he wanted to salary dump (Murph!) has carried the team. Like most of the rest of the talent both were acquired by the previous GM.

I know ahead of time some might object to this post but that doesn't make it any less true. So if anyone feels like arguing against my points please stick to the points themselves. Let's not make it personal. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Here is the anti Sandy angle on both of those trades......ready...because this is classic:

Omar signed both Beltran and Dickey which the Mets traded for Wheeler/Noah/dArnaud.......therefore those trades are as much, if not more credited to Omar. That is actually somewhere in this thread.

Joe Mcdonald was the GM when Neil Allen came up with the Mets in 1979. 4 years later he was traded by the then GM Frank Cashen to the Cardinals to get Keith Hernandez. I have never once heard that Joe Mcdonald was responsible for landing Hernandez.

The anti Sandy double standard is just bizarre.
    Last edited by Paulypal; 10-22-2015, 01:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GiambiJuice
    replied
    Originally posted by GordonGecko View Post
    If anything Alderson should be looked upon favorably for the Dickey trade alone

Leave a comment:

• GordonGecko
    replied
    If anything Alderson should be looked upon favorably for the Dickey trade alone

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Some (most?) of the comments about Alderson in this thread look embarrassingly foolish in retrospect.

The Mets are in the World Series, and will probably be favored to win it.
    Your post is blasphemy - Dont you know Alderson is the anti Christ?

In fact we should all be paying homage to Omar Minaya, Steve Phillips and Frank Cashen today. Hell if you dig deep enough we can all just thank Alexander Cartwright for the fateful day in Hoboken.

I am not a big fan of Alderson to be honest, mostly because he can be smug and arrogant, but if you read through this thread I have said I believe he was being handcuffed by his boss.

With all that said - it is ridiculous to not give him credit for the situation the Mets are in.

Leave a comment:

• GiambiJuice
    replied
    Some (most?) of the comments about Alderson in this thread look embarrassingly foolish in retrospect.

The Mets are in the World Series, and will probably be favored to win it.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
    I think we can all agree "the plan" is working.
    2 months early...

Leave a comment:

• rjsallstars
    replied
    Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
    Thank you for helping to assemble our NL champion Mets.
    2015 has been amazing.

A long time coming.

On to the World Series.
    I think we can all agree "the plan" is working.

Leave a comment:

• LI METS FAN
    replied
    Thank you for helping to assemble our NL champion Mets.
    2015 has been amazing.

A long time coming.

On to the World Series.

Leave a comment:

• rjsallstars
    replied
    Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
    No response necessary but for your information I made a fairly lengthy post in the Daniel Murphy Thread. He's my favorite player on this team and he carried them to victory in this series. I think it's possible I enjoyed this win a lot more than you did. It felt personal.

Murph is a guy Alderson has never wanted on this team. The first thing he did when he assumed control was take Murph's job and give it to Brad Emaus. He's publicly wanted Murphy gone every year since. Another player I loved was Justin Turner who was non-tendered and trashed on his way out the door. Turner also distinguished himself in this series. Frankly I was glad to see that too even though it was for the opponent. I root more for players than laundry.

So I found the series very enjoyable. I also enjoy the delicious irony that two of the very players the Maverick treated the most contemptuously were MVPs of their respective teams. Alderson is both a poor judge of talent and a big balloon full of hot air that screams out to be punctured. The fact that I can enjoy the Mets winning while the balloon of arrogance is popped feels a little like Christmas.
    Goose, I am happy you are enjoying the Mets success. Sometimes it is hard to see that from your posts. 1st and foremost we are all Met fans and there success should make all the nonsense we have to endure worth it. We ALL have suffered more than we should have rooting for our favorite team.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
    Now I know why you have a picture of Mr. Met crying on your profile. I guess misery loves company. Try enjoying a Mets victory more than you enjoy finding fault. You might feel better about the Mets and maybe even yourself. See, psychological advice from amateurs cost the same as second guessing and criticism.
    No response necessary but for your information I made a fairly lengthy post in the Daniel Murphy Thread. He's my favorite player on this team and he carried them to victory in this series. I think it's possible I enjoyed this win a lot more than you did. It felt personal.

Murph is a guy Alderson has never wanted on this team. The first thing he did when he assumed control was take Murph's job and give it to Brad Emaus. He's publicly wanted Murphy gone every year since. Another player I loved was Justin Turner who was non-tendered and trashed on his way out the door. Turner also distinguished himself in this series. Frankly I was glad to see that too even though it was for the opponent. I root more for players than laundry.

So I found the series very enjoyable. I also enjoy the delicious irony that two of the very players the Maverick treated the most contemptuously were MVPs of their respective teams. Alderson is both a poor judge of talent and a big balloon full of hot air that screams out to be punctured. The fact that I can enjoy the Mets winning while the balloon of arrogance is popped feels a little like Christmas.

Leave a comment:

• rjsallstars
    replied
    Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
    Great NLDS for the Maverick. The only thing that stopped him from being beaten single-handedly by the guy he non-tendered was the guy he wanted to trade for Jonathan Villar.
    Now I know why you have a picture of Mr. Met crying on your profile. I guess misery loves company. Try enjoying a Mets victory more than you enjoy finding fault. You might feel better about the Mets and maybe even yourself. See, psychological advice from amateurs cost the same as second guessing and criticism.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X