Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CokeMachineGlow View Post
    Buyers.

If we're able to net another quality starting pitcher and another bullpen arm, our chances rise exponentially.
    With what, exactly? Who of value is on your trading block that can attract the toughest commodities to obtain?

Comment

• Originally posted by milladrive View Post
      LOL

Straw, no matter how it's sliced, whatever he is capable of doing monetarily is solely in the pockets of the people who pay the bills. Sure, regardless of how much money he's got to work with, he's got the ability to make good moves and bad moves, but when it comes to being buyers or sellers, it's completely and utterly in the hands of the owners, not the GM.

Geez, 635 posts. How many more until you grasp this concept?
      I grasp the concept - but I still believe Richard "Sandy" Alderson has some influence over what the Wilpons do with the Mets, based on his long experience in baseball. He's not entirely the dupe, stooge, front-man, loser, phony, pretend, erstaz, unreasonable facsmile GM that you guys are always arguing that he is!
      Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Originally posted by VIBaseball View Post
        With what, exactly? Who of value is on your trading block that can attract the toughest commodities to obtain?
        That exact comment was from weeks back, so I suppose we don't really need a starting pitcher. Our rotation is sparkling at the moment.

We can keep most valuable assets, while ridding ourselves of players with modest value. Daniel Murphy to San Diego can possibly net us a reliever or two - they need a second basemen and they have a surplus in their 'pen. We can potentially net a Gregerson or a Thatcher.

That's just one idea, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by CokeMachineGlow View Post
          That exact comment was from weeks back, so I suppose we don't really need a starting pitcher. Our rotation is sparkling at the moment.

We can keep most valuable assets, while ridding ourselves of players with modest value. Daniel Murphy to San Diego can possibly net us a reliever or two - they need a second basemen and they have a surplus in their 'pen. We can potentially net a Gregerson or a Thatcher.

That's just one idea, though.
          I'd keep Murphy...

I'd be more inclined to trade one of our decent bench players--say, Justin Turner, who can play different positions and is a passable hitter--and one of our outfielders (preferably not Captain Kirk, anyone else I could live parting with, though I think it'd be great for everyone if we could find a team Bay would waive his no-trade clause for, but he might not be buyer-friendly anymore with all those injuries) for a reliever or two.
          "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

• Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
            I'd keep Murphy...

I'd be more inclined to trade one of our decent bench players--say, Justin Turner, who can play different positions and is a passable hitter--and one of our outfielders (preferably not Captain Kirk, anyone else I could live parting with, though I think it'd be great for everyone if we could find a team Bay would waive his no-trade clause for, but he might not be buyer-friendly anymore with all those injuries) for a reliever or two.
            So you want to give up nothing in Turner, and get back quality pen help? Murphy may get you back what you need. Turner will get you back a rasin bag

The Pads are strapped for offense Turner doesn't work for them. I would like to see Murphy go--- its time. If he brings back some quality then it's a no brainier.
            Last edited by Paulypal; 07-01-2012, 01:57 PM.

Comment

• Turner, Valdespin, and Tejada are one of the main reasons we should trade Murphy. We have good depth at 2B, and Murphy has been pretty poor as of late. I don't doubt he'll be able to bounce back and become a serviceable starter, but we have other needs to cover - and we won't be losing much value at second, neither.

That deal makes way too much sense for both sides.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                So you want to give up nothing in Turner, and get back quality pen help? Murphy may get you back what you need. Turner will get you back a rasin bag

The Pads are strapped for offense Turner doesn't work for them. I would like to see Murphy go--- its time. If he brings back some quality then it's a no brainier.
                If he brings back a Hanrahan, or someone of that caliber, sure...but as Murphy's a good hitter for us, and is heating up, I don't want to see him go for just another pair of forgettable arms.

If we give up Murphy, we need "a name" amongst relievers, not just a few no-names.
                "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

• I actually agree with Strawman somewhat here. This is a real moment for Sandy. He has to atone for this failed bullpen and give this team a chance of making a postseason push. As constructed, it would be a demoralizing message to the team and fan base if he stood pat. He talks about making sure we get the fans back to the ballpark but part of that comes from a show of commitment from the front office and more importantly, ownership.

Having said that, its still primarily all about the Wilpons checkbook. If Sandy only adds a middling reliever instead of getting a money-dump guy like Street between now and the end of the month, that will be a sign to me that the Wilpons have really put a clamp on him financially.

Comment

• Our biggest chip at this point is Valdespin imo. I don't see him having a future with this organization and he has some upside. Also, guys like Gorski and Vaughn as throw in's. I'd consider Kirk or Den Dekker under the right deal too. Really don't need both of them. Havens is still a no-go. He started out the season pretty bad but has turned things around of late. Its still too early to give up on him imo. He's the type of guy that it can all click with real quick, assuming he stays healthy.

Also, I really don't understand the "trade Murphy" crowd. This is a guy who has proven himself to be a good major league hitter. Like Duda, patience with defense is the key. I know thats hard for the instant gratification crowd but its the truth. There has to be a reasonable period of time to allow both to mature in their positions before looking elsewhere. A half of a year is not reasonable. Nobody is really lighting it up in the minors either to replace him.
                    Last edited by Ralf; 07-02-2012, 04:23 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralf View Post
                      Our biggest chip at this point is Valdespin imo. I don't see him having a future with this organization and he has some upside. Also, guys like Gorski and Vaughn as throw in's. I'd consider Kirk or Den Dekker under the right deal too. Really don't need both of them. Havens is still a no-go. He started out the season pretty bad but has turned things around of late. Its still too early to give up on him imo. He's the type of guy that it can all click with real quick, assuming he stays healthy.

Also, I really don't understand the "trade Murphy" crowd. This is a guy who has proven himself to be a good major league hitter. Like Duda, patience with defense is the key. I know thats hard for the instant gratification crowd but its the truth. There has to be a reasonable period of time to allow both to mature in their positions before looking elsewhere. A half of a year is not reasonable. Nobody is really lighting it up in the minors either to replace him.
                      I don't know if my coffee has not kicked in yet, but I agree with Ralf 100% . Something I never thought I'd post !

Comment

Our biggest chip at this point is Valdespin imo. I don't see him having a future with this organization and he has some upside. Also, guys like Gorski and Vaughn as throw in's. I'd consider Kirk or Den Dekker under the right deal too. Really don't need both of them. Havens is still a no-go. He started out the season pretty bad but has turned things around of late. Its still too early to give up on him imo. He's the type of guy that it can all click with real quick, assuming he stays healthy.

Well the reason I disagree is because Valdespin hasnt proven a thing on the MLB level, Murphy has. Therefore I deem Murphy as our biggest chip especially when talking about the Padres because they do need instant offense.

What are you going to get with Valdespin? Murphy commands more in a trade. Its not a matter of giving up on him its a matter of you have to give to get, and Valedspin is not giving.

We cant have it both ways. We cant say we want to be patient, and groom our players, then say we want to compete now with the current roster. The current roster wont compete all season in my opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
                          If he brings back a Hanrahan, or someone of that caliber, sure...but as Murphy's a good hitter for us, and is heating up, I don't want to see him go for just another pair of forgettable arms.

If we give up Murphy, we need "a name" amongst relievers, not just a few no-names.
                          You need a name for Murphy? Well I was hoping for solid pen help. What kind of name do you think Murphy is going to get you back? Murphy is not old but he is not a 20 year prospect with upside anymore either at 27 we should have seen some glimpses of what he can be. To that I think we have a "good" average hitter with a lower than average OBP, and no power. So what name are you getting back?

Comment

Well the reason I disagree is because Valdespin hasnt proven a thing on the MLB level, Murphy has. Therefore I deem Murphy as our biggest chip especially when talking about the Padres because they do need instant offense.

What are you going to get with Valdespin? Murphy commands more in a trade. Its not a matter of giving up on him its a matter of you have to give to get, and Valedspin is not giving.

We cant have it both ways. We cant say we want to be patient, and groom our players, then say we want to compete now with the current roster. The current roster wont compete all season in my opinion.
                            Despite their immediate deficiencies offensively, the Padres plan is to compete long term and on the cheap. Murphy is arbitration eligible after this year. It makes no sense for them to trade for him given their financial constraints and long-term goal. Valdespin is the perfect candidate for them because he is major league ready now and has 3 years of minimum salary.

I bet if we offered Valdespin and Vaughn (local kid) for Street, they'd do it.

Add in we're taking on money.
                            Last edited by Ralf; 07-02-2012, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Despite their immediate deficiencies offensively, the Padres plan is to compete long term and on the cheap. Murphy is arbitration eligible after this year. It makes no sense for them to trade for him given their financial constraints and long-term goal. Valdespin is the perfect candidate for them because he is major league ready now and has 3 years of minimum salary.

I bet if we offered Valdespin and Vaughn (local kid) for Street, they'd do it.

Add in we're taking on money.
                              I think the Padres can get more for Street, but I hope your right.

Comment

I think the Padres can get more for Street, but I hope your right.
                                I think in years past, they could. But with the new CBA and free agency compensation, I think they'd be hard pressed to find a better deal. Comparable yes, better no.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X