Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Sandy Alderson Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • On WFAN they just said who would not have signed up for being only five games out of the WC in march?

    I tend to agree with that even if they likely don't even know about second WC added.
    Last edited by WEB; 07-23-2012, 05:58 AM.

    Comment


    • 31 pages and still no trade proposals from the Alderson detractors to help launch this team into the postseason.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Ralf View Post
        31 pages and still no trade proposals from the Alderson detractors to help launch this team into the postseason.
        Well Sandy keeps saying he doesn't want to give up the future for the present, more or less. He talks like the only asset the Mets would have to give up for anything useful is Zack Wheeler. This, of course, is a... ahem... strawman argument. Teams that are out of contention are looking to dump salaries. Sort of like how we gave up K-Rod for a low level prospect. It wouldn't cost talent, just money.

        Of course this all goes back to the Wilpons' refusal to spend money and indifference to winning. Their big wins this year were weaseling out of punishment for Ponzi scheme #2 and getting the City to give them a half billion worth of their neighbors' land for free. I guess they figure whatever salary they'd take on to give the team a chance isn't worth the revenue it'd generate.

        Weird thread. Anyone who's paying attention should know Alderson sucks, but this is mainly because he's only here to do nothing, spend nothing and make excuses for the real culprits: Fred, Saul and the Little Prince. They want us to focus on Alderson because it takes the heat off them. As usual, ownership is to blame.


        "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
          Well Sandy keeps saying he doesn't want to give up the future for the present, more or less. He talks like the only asset the Mets would have to give up for anything useful is Zack Wheeler. This, of course, is a... ahem... strawman argument. Teams that are out of contention are looking to dump salaries. Sort of like how we gave up K-Rod for a low level prospect. It wouldn't cost talent, just money.

          Of course this all goes back to the Wilpons' refusal to spend money and indifference to winning. Their big wins this year were weaseling out of punishment for Ponzi scheme #2 and getting the City to give them a half billion worth of their neighbors' land for free. I guess they figure whatever salary they'd take on to give the team a chance isn't worth the revenue it'd generate.

          Weird thread. Anyone who's paying attention should know Alderson sucks, but this is mainly because he's only here to do nothing, spend nothing and make excuses for the real culprits: Fred, Saul and the Little Prince. They want us to focus on Alderson because it takes the heat off them. As usual, ownership is to blame.
          This has been exactly my point. Has Alderson done much? Well of course not. Very hard to make an impact when your hands are tied.

          I do disagree that Alderson sucks. He is a lame duck due to circumstances, but I just wish he was given the keys to the kingdom with a 140 million dollar payroll.

          Comment


          • http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/8281910/source-new-york-mets-payroll-likel

            WASHINGTON -- Looking for the New York Mets to spend their way out of their doldrums during the upcoming offseason? Don't count on it, a baseball source told ESPNNewYork.com.

            Although general manager Sandy Alderson publicly said last week a formal budget has not been established for next season, the Mets are likely to have a payroll comparable to the slightly more than $90 million they have committed in 2012, according to a person briefed on the current internal planning.

            "They may have $10 million to $15 million max to spend -- if Sandy is lucky," the source said.

            That is a handcuffing blow for an organization that currently has a 57-63 record and does not have large expiring contracts.

            In fact, it leaves Alderson nearly entirely dependent on remaking the team through the farm system -- a prudent long-term strategy, but one that may leave the Mets languishing in the standings again in 2013.



            But on the bright side, you can see the All Star Game at Citi Field next season !

            Comment


            • Originally posted by mandrake View Post
              WASHINGTON -- Looking for the New York Mets to spend their way out of their doldrums during the upcoming offseason? Don't count on it, a baseball source told ESPNNewYork.com.

              Although general manager Sandy Alderson publicly said last week a formal budget has not been established for next season, the Mets are likely to have a payroll comparable to the slightly more than $90 million they have committed in 2012, according to a person briefed on the current internal planning.

              "They may have $10 million to $15 million max to spend -- if Sandy is lucky," the source said.

              That is a handcuffing blow for an organization that currently has a 57-63 record and does not have large expiring contracts.

              In fact, it leaves Alderson nearly entirely dependent on remaking the team through the farm system -- a prudent long-term strategy, but one that may leave the Mets languishing in the standings again in 2013.



              But on the bright side, you can see the All Star Game at Citi Field next season !
              Blue walls! Steak sandwiches! And a teary send-off for David Wright! Tons to look forward to!
              Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Strawman View Post
                Blue walls! Steak sandwiches! And a teary send-off for David Wright! Tons to look forward to!
                Its all Alderson's fault! Why isn't he using his money to make this team better?! He's the worst GM we've ever had!

                Comment


                • Pagan for Torres, how did that work out for us Aldy???

                  Talk about going out of your way to show how bad you are, geez....
                  :lightbulb:Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

                  Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
                  Thanks Sandy Alderson.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by trepye View Post
                    Pagan for Torres, how did that work out for us Aldy???

                    Talk about going out of your way to show how bad you are, geez....
                    Pagan was coming off of his worst season, and he was arb. eligible. It was a salary shed. You know, to counter the impending debt crisis we faced?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by trepye View Post
                      Pagan for Torres, how did that work out for us Aldy???

                      Talk about going out of your way to show how bad you are, geez....
                      Funny - I didnt see any posts from you when the trade was made.

                      Comment


                      • If you're gonna troll, trepye, can you at least do it with some couth?
                        Put it in the books.

                        Comment


                        • How am I trolling? The statement has everything to do with the topic at hand. Aldys so far demontrated ineptitude as a GM. I, like any reasonable person would, gave the trade a chance.

                          And now that we know the outcome I can at least say I gave it a fair shot; and its fortifying my belief for Alderson being a bad GM. The story is not over of course, maybe Wheeler may turn onto something. But up till now between loosing Reyes, taking away from the ballparks character through silly misguided dimension alterations, gawd awful bullpen aquisitions, the lack of outfield contribulted by this trade, spreading rumors about Ike (I am serioulsy beleiving that he is the source of such rumors), etc..... Like I said I recognize that he is imparting a plan but its been a pretty wretched data aquisition...

                          I would appreciate that you do not refer to my opining as trolling as I have not said anything derogatory towards you, Milla. :-)
                          Last edited by trepye; 10-15-2012, 02:17 PM.
                          :lightbulb:Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

                          Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
                          Thanks Sandy Alderson.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by trepye View Post
                            The story is not over of course, maybe Wheeler may turn onto something. But up till now between loosing Reyes...
                            Not Alderson's decision.

                            ...taking away from the ballparks character through silly misguided dimension alterations...
                            The final say was not Alderson's.

                            ... gawd awful bullpen aquisitions...
                            Bullpens are a shot in dark in any year, regardless of the GM.

                            ...the lack of outfield contribulted by this trade...
                            As was pointed out earlier, Pagán had a relatively off year. Although I'm not Torres' biggest fan and would like to replace him, he was by far the fastest and most intuitive defensive outfielder on the Mets in 2012.

                            ...spreading rumors about Ike (I am serioulsy beleiving that he is the source of such rumors), etc.....
                            You're entitled to your opinion, but as I've said seemingly a million times now, what possible positive purpose would badmouthing Davis serve if he were to become trade bait? As well, a lack of denial is by no means an admission of guilt.

                            Call me an Alderson apologist if you must, but let's keep the facts straight. He works with two hands tied behind his back and one eye blindfolded. The state of the union can hardly be blamed on him.

                            I would appreciate that you do not refer to my opining as trolling as I have not said anything derogatory towards you, Milla. :-)
                            One has nothing to do with the other. You remain silent (perhaps lurking; doesn't matter) until the season's over, then come in with guns ablazing. The active word in my comment was "couth." I've counted at least two posts in which you've gotten a bit personal with your remarks, so I merely ask you show some restraint with the epithets. As well, you and Strawman are the only two who believe the foibles of the world are all of Alderson's doing, but at least Strawman has been posting on a regular basis all season. So, perhaps you can see what milladrove me to make that statement. You're welcome here, of course; I simply ask that you mind your manners and show a little humility when opining.
                            Put it in the books.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                              Not Alderson's decision.



                              The final say was not Alderson's.



                              Bullpens are a shot in dark in any year, regardless of the GM.



                              As was pointed out earlier, Pagán had a relatively off year. Although I'm not Torres' biggest fan and would like to replace him, he was by far the fastest and most intuitive defensive outfielder on the Mets in 2012.



                              You're entitled to your opinion, but as I've said seemingly a million times now, what possible positive purpose would badmouthing Davis serve if he were to become trade bait? As well, a lack of denial is by no means an admission of guilt.

                              Call me an Alderson apologist if you must, but let's keep the facts straight. He works with two hands tied behind his back and one eye blindfolded. The state of the union can hardly be blamed on him.



                              One has nothing to do with the other. You remain silent (perhaps lurking; doesn't matter) until the season's over, then come in with guns ablazing. The active word in my comment was "couth." I've counted at least two posts in which you've gotten a bit personal with your remarks, so I merely ask you show some restraint with the epithets. As well, you and Strawman are the only two who believe the foibles of the world are all of Alderson's doing, but at least Strawman has been posting on a regular basis all season. So, perhaps you can see what milladrove me to make that statement. You're welcome here, of course; I simply ask that you mind your manners and show a little humility when opining.
                              clap clap clap clap clap

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                                Not Alderson's decision.



                                The final say was not Alderson's.
                                He advised ownership not to sign Reyes, he was so unethusiastic about negotiating with him he came out with his degrading "box of chocolates" comment.

                                He babbled about how the walls where so deep since the moment he got here. There is a bunch of direct quotes delinieating that the Wilpons wanted a big pitchers ballpark but he dissuaded them out of their own beliefs. I still remember him saying how a smaller ballpark would help the team and how fans just wanna see HR's. Uh.... no. The visitors dumped more balls in these new dead zones; specially in right center and right. And another steady decline in attendace has taken place in 2012 (buyed by much reasonably priced tix prices).

                                And yes, you're right, bullpens are a crapshoot; so I guess despite the fact that we havent seen a bullpen so bad since the days of Dough "Gasonality" Henry I should give him a pass on that (but it wouldve been nice to at least get ONE decent reliever out all the crap he threw out there).
                                Last edited by trepye; 10-15-2012, 03:44 PM.
                                :lightbulb:Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

                                Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
                                Thanks Sandy Alderson.

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X