The Sandy Alderson Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post
    I would trade Johan Santana right now, yes today if possible, for whatever they could get. Yes, he threw THE no hitter, but he has not been the same since that day. Is he damaged goods? Let's not find out. Send him to any team willing to eat that salary. $25 million could go a long way in the off season.:flow:

I am 100% serious....Johan may be damaged goods and any team that took his salary would be taking a chance....but better that chance than the Mets finding out in 2-3 weeks that he really is hurt.
    I would do the same but chances of finding someone to eat his salary are very slim. By the time he gets back and can prove he is healthy the trading deadline will be over. The best thing that could happen to the Mets would be for Santana to pitch well for the remainder of the season and the Mets to trade him in the offseason which would free up money for other contracts. On the other hand, when healthy, Santana is a proven ace, thats not easy to find. Who knows what will be available next year. I think the Mets will try to unload him but in the end he will pitch out his contract and be a free agent in 2014. Hopefully some of the young pitchers in 2013 can learn from his work ethic and determination, he is a good guy to have around young pitchers.

Comment

• I'm probably the biggest Alderson detractor here - haven't liked him from the start, thought he was brought in to 1. cut and 2. lie to the fans as he was cutting.

But I have to say even I'm surprised by his shocking disappearing act here in mid-summer 2012 - where the heck is Sandy??!!

The Mets were factually in contention. They needed new bullpen arms - again, not Mo Rivera just a change in the hopes they could improve on the worst bullpen in MLB. This was supposed to be his moment - show us that veteran leadership and expertise.

And.....nothing. I'm actually surprised.
      Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• There are almost thirty other teams doing the same as Alderson, playing the hand he has, you are not going to get a panic move for the sake of doing something.

Not like they are not in games or one winning streak does not put them right back in mix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post
          I'm probably the biggest Alderson detractor here - haven't liked him from the start, thought he was brought in to 1. cut and 2. lie to the fans as he was cutting.

But I have to say even I'm surprised by his shocking disappearing act here in mid-summer 2012 - where the heck is Sandy??!!

The Mets were factually in contention. They needed new bullpen arms - again, not Mo Rivera just a change in the hopes they could improve on the worst bullpen in MLB. This was supposed to be his moment - show us that veteran leadership and expertise.

And.....nothing. I'm actually surprised.
          Two things

1) nobody is selling just yet because they dont know where they stand given the extra wild card. Except for a few teams....which of course now includes the Mets

2) Thankfully he didnt. This team was a fraudelent contender. Imagine wasting picks or something of value to get two bullpen arms for this bunch. Sometimes the best moves are the ones you dont make.

Now hopefully we can get back to the real goal and do something about 2013 and forward. This phoney contender act has been a speed bump.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
            Two things

1) nobody is selling just yet because they dont know where they stand given the extra wild card. Except for a few teams....which of course now includes the Mets

2) Thankfully he didnt. This team was a fraudelent contender. Imagine wasting picks or something of value to get two bullpen arms for this bunch. Sometimes the best moves are the ones you dont make.

Now hopefully we can get back to the real goal and do something about 2013 and forward. This phoney contender act has been a speed bump.
            That's not fair. You can like or dislike the team all you like but a team in solid contention for over three and a half months that's been in many of these very tough losses has not been a phony contender.

It's still also not easy to fall out of contention, even where they stand right now.

Comment

• On WFAN they just said who would not have signed up for being only five games out of the WC in march?

I tend to agree with that even if they likely don't even know about second WC added.
              Last edited by WEB; 07-23-2012, 04:58 AM.

Comment

• 31 pages and still no trade proposals from the Alderson detractors to help launch this team into the postseason.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralf View Post
                  31 pages and still no trade proposals from the Alderson detractors to help launch this team into the postseason.
                  Well Sandy keeps saying he doesn't want to give up the future for the present, more or less. He talks like the only asset the Mets would have to give up for anything useful is Zack Wheeler. This, of course, is a... ahem... strawman argument. Teams that are out of contention are looking to dump salaries. Sort of like how we gave up K-Rod for a low level prospect. It wouldn't cost talent, just money.

Of course this all goes back to the Wilpons' refusal to spend money and indifference to winning. Their big wins this year were weaseling out of punishment for Ponzi scheme #2 and getting the City to give them a half billion worth of their neighbors' land for free. I guess they figure whatever salary they'd take on to give the team a chance isn't worth the revenue it'd generate.

Weird thread. Anyone who's paying attention should know Alderson sucks, but this is mainly because he's only here to do nothing, spend nothing and make excuses for the real culprits: Fred, Saul and the Little Prince. They want us to focus on Alderson because it takes the heat off them. As usual, ownership is to blame.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                    Well Sandy keeps saying he doesn't want to give up the future for the present, more or less. He talks like the only asset the Mets would have to give up for anything useful is Zack Wheeler. This, of course, is a... ahem... strawman argument. Teams that are out of contention are looking to dump salaries. Sort of like how we gave up K-Rod for a low level prospect. It wouldn't cost talent, just money.

Of course this all goes back to the Wilpons' refusal to spend money and indifference to winning. Their big wins this year were weaseling out of punishment for Ponzi scheme #2 and getting the City to give them a half billion worth of their neighbors' land for free. I guess they figure whatever salary they'd take on to give the team a chance isn't worth the revenue it'd generate.

Weird thread. Anyone who's paying attention should know Alderson sucks, but this is mainly because he's only here to do nothing, spend nothing and make excuses for the real culprits: Fred, Saul and the Little Prince. They want us to focus on Alderson because it takes the heat off them. As usual, ownership is to blame.
                    This has been exactly my point. Has Alderson done much? Well of course not. Very hard to make an impact when your hands are tied.

I do disagree that Alderson sucks. He is a lame duck due to circumstances, but I just wish he was given the keys to the kingdom with a 140 million dollar payroll.

Comment

• http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/8281910/source-new-york-mets-payroll-likel

WASHINGTON -- Looking for the New York Mets to spend their way out of their doldrums during the upcoming offseason? Don't count on it, a baseball source told ESPNNewYork.com.

Although general manager Sandy Alderson publicly said last week a formal budget has not been established for next season, the Mets are likely to have a payroll comparable to the slightly more than $90 million they have committed in 2012, according to a person briefed on the current internal planning.

"They may have $10 million to $15 million max to spend -- if Sandy is lucky," the source said.

That is a handcuffing blow for an organization that currently has a 57-63 record and does not have large expiring contracts.

In fact, it leaves Alderson nearly entirely dependent on remaking the team through the farm system -- a prudent long-term strategy, but one that may leave the Mets languishing in the standings again in 2013.

But on the bright side, you can see the All Star Game at Citi Field next season !

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                        WASHINGTON -- Looking for the New York Mets to spend their way out of their doldrums during the upcoming offseason? Don't count on it, a baseball source told ESPNNewYork.com.

Although general manager Sandy Alderson publicly said last week a formal budget has not been established for next season, the Mets are likely to have a payroll comparable to the slightly more than $90 million they have committed in 2012, according to a person briefed on the current internal planning.

"They may have $10 million to $15 million max to spend -- if Sandy is lucky," the source said.

That is a handcuffing blow for an organization that currently has a 57-63 record and does not have large expiring contracts.

In fact, it leaves Alderson nearly entirely dependent on remaking the team through the farm system -- a prudent long-term strategy, but one that may leave the Mets languishing in the standings again in 2013.

But on the bright side, you can see the All Star Game at Citi Field next season !
                        Blue walls! Steak sandwiches! And a teary send-off for David Wright! Tons to look forward to!
                        Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post
                          Blue walls! Steak sandwiches! And a teary send-off for David Wright! Tons to look forward to!
                          Its all Alderson's fault! Why isn't he using his money to make this team better?! He's the worst GM we've ever had!

Comment

• Pagan for Torres, how did that work out for us Aldy???

Talk about going out of your way to show how bad you are, geez....
                            :lightbulb:Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
                            Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Comment

• Originally posted by trepye View Post
                              Pagan for Torres, how did that work out for us Aldy???

Pagan was coming off of his worst season, and he was arb. eligible. It was a salary shed. You know, to counter the impending debt crisis we faced?

Comment

• Originally posted by trepye View Post
                                Pagan for Torres, how did that work out for us Aldy???

Funny - I didnt see any posts from you when the trade was made.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X