• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawman
    replied
    Originally posted by mandrake View Post
    Carlos Beltran 20 hr 65 rbi .304 avg 50 runs scored

How would he look in the Mets lineup, protecting Wright, and pushing Davis down a spot.
    Yeah and with Reyes leading off and providing speed and defense, pushing Tejada to 2B and Murphy to 1B/super-sub. In retrospect, Mets were on the brink of fielding one the franchise's great teams.

Leave a comment:

• mandrake
    replied
    Carlos Beltran 20 hr 65 rbi .304 avg 50 runs scored

How would he look in the Mets lineup, protecting Wright, and pushing Davis down a spot.

Leave a comment:

• Strawman
    replied
    Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
    The whole All Star Game has become a joke. I remember when the players use to really want to win the game. Inter-league play (which I hate) has taken some of that luster away. The fact that home field for WS gets decided by this game is so off the charts stupid that its not measureable.

Bud Selig has been a nightmare of a commissioner:

1) interleauge play - has taken away from the ASG and the WS. An over reaction to the 1994 strike.
    2) steroids - he and his cronies were fully away of steroid use and were LOVING it when it was making them money..then they bailed on the players when Big Mac had the Andro in his locker. Truly a s'bag. They loved the roids when it was making fans forget about the 1994 strike.
    3) All Star game for home field - ok so an ASG ended up in a tie. Big deal. So Bud Selig has to go over board and make it mean something.
    4) as a Met fan-- the special dispensation he gave Wilpon in unforgiveable. He hangs McCourt and lets Wilpon walk away clean. This also led us to your favorite GM.

Bud will tell us that the game has grown, and blah blah blah. The game would have grown with Mo, Larry and Curly running it. Its a great game, always was, always will be. Bud has done nothing to make it better.

Sorry for the Bud rant, but this whole ASG mess leads back to one short sighted over reactionary moron.
    Yep, I agree with all of this. And add to that the next crazy iteration of the balanced inter-league sked and added WC single-game playoffs. Yuck.

No question, Selig is a disaster. And he did get us Alderson to boot!

Leave a comment:

• mandrake
    replied
    The whole All Star Game has become a joke. I remember when the players use to really want to win the game. Inter-league play (which I hate) has taken some of that luster away. The fact that home field for WS gets decided by this game is so off the charts stupid that its not measureable.

1) interleauge play - has taken away from the ASG and the WS. An over reaction to the 1994 strike.
    2) steroids - he and his cronies were fully away of steroid use and were LOVING it when it was making them money..then they bailed on the players when Big Mac had the Andro in his locker. Truly a s'bag. They loved the roids when it was making fans forget about the 1994 strike.
    3) All Star game for home field - ok so an ASG ended up in a tie. Big deal. So Bud Selig has to go over board and make it mean something.
    4) as a Met fan-- the special dispensation he gave Wilpon in unforgiveable. He hangs McCourt and lets Wilpon walk away clean.

Bud will tell us that the game has grown, and blah blah blah. The game would have grown with Mo, Larry and Curly running it. Its a great game, always was, always will be. Bud has done nothing to make it better.

Sorry for the Bud rant, but this whole ASG mess leads back to one moron.

I agree with your basic points here. 1)As far as interleague, it started out trying to get interest back into the game but there are no enough real rivalries. Yanks-Mets, Chisox-Cubs, Giants -A's, Dodgers-Angels...that is about it. No real Indian-Reds, Rays-Marlins type of heat. MLB tried to create a Red Sox-Braves thing even though 99% of people never saw the Braves in Boston. As the Cubs complained long ago, they may split 3-3 with the Sox and St Louis could sweep KC, and through an unbalanced schedule they lose 3 games in the standings. Then, there is no excuse for the Mets and Yankees playing 6 games a year....let alone the Braves and Yankees playing 6 times this year. Crazy.

2)I also agree with the roids stuff. They knew what was going on. Just like there were stories back in 1914-1918 that baseball games were being thrown, MLB acted shocked after the 1919 WS???? Then why did Comiskey hire Christy Matthewson before the WS and told him to write down every suspect play? Why did A's owner Connie Mack get rid of his team after the 1914 WS ? hmmmmm

3)I never understood why the alternate 'home team' for the WS was done away with....it seemed to work for about a century.

4)As for McCourt.....I wondered why he never went after Bud for his favoritism. I guess he was content with making a billion dollars profit in 7 years, but still...you know someone like George would have been all over Bud !

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by Strawman View Post
    Yeah, I just don't know why the GM of the Mets would care any more than you, Pauly - get some relief help! The team can be in this thing....

4) as a Met fan-- the special dispensation he gave Wilpon in unforgiveable. He hangs McCourt and lets Wilpon walk away clean. This also led us to your favorite GM.

Sorry for the Bud rant, but this whole ASG mess leads back to one short sighted over reactionary moron.
    Last edited by Paulypal; 07-06-2012, 06:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Strawman
    replied
    Sandoval had more votes by far (1.6 million) because of some type of scam on their website. BUT the Met fans did a bad job....if the ASG matters to you. Alderson is correct.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/allstar12/sto...tar-fan-voting

Personally I dont vote so I cant complain.
    Yeah, I just don't know why the GM of the Mets would care any more than you, Pauly - get some relief help! The team can be in this thing....

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by milladrive View Post
    Um, David Wright had easily 500,000 more votes than any other NL thirdbaseman, but the fans don't decide who starts. I'm not sure what Sandy's talking about.

Sandoval had more votes by far (1.6 million) because of some type of scam on their website. BUT the Met fans did a bad job....if the ASG matters to you. Alderson is correct.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/allstar12/sto...tar-fan-voting

Personally I dont vote so I cant complain.
    Last edited by Paulypal; 07-05-2012, 05:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• milladrive
    replied
    Originally posted by Strawman View Post
    Speaking only for myself, Alderson's snide attack on Mets fans because they didn't stuff the All Star ballot box like those rubes in California was .... typical of the man, I guess. But not cool.

NY Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says fans did David Wright wrong
    Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz1zfIazbNA

Get us a bullpen, Sandy - and shut yer yap.
    Um, David Wright had easily 500,000 more votes than any other NL thirdbaseman, but the fans don't decide who starts. I'm not sure what Sandy's talking about.

Leave a comment:

• Strawman
    replied
    Speaking only for myself, Alderson's snide attack on Mets fans because they didn't stuff the All Star ballot box like those rubes in California was .... typical of the man, I guess. But not cool.

NY Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says fans did David Wright wrong
    Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz1zfIazbNA

Get us a bullpen, Sandy - and shut yer yap.

Leave a comment:

• Strawman
    replied
    Originally posted by Ralf View Post
    Our biggest chip at this point is Valdespin imo. I don't see him having a future with this organization and he has some upside. Also, guys like Gorski and Vaughn as throw in's. I'd consider Kirk or Den Dekker under the right deal too. Really don't need both of them. Havens is still a no-go. He started out the season pretty bad but has turned things around of late. Its still too early to give up on him imo. He's the type of guy that it can all click with real quick, assuming he stays healthy.

Also, I really don't understand the "trade Murphy" crowd. This is a guy who has proven himself to be a good major league hitter. Like Duda, patience with defense is the key. I know thats hard for the instant gratification crowd but its the truth. There has to be a reasonable period of time to allow both to mature in their positions before looking elsewhere. A half of a year is not reasonable. Nobody is really lighting it up in the minors either to replace him.
    Yep generally in agreement here as well! I think Valdespin may be one of those prospects it's best to deal...and I'd take a decent reliever for him this summer.

Leave a comment:

• Ralf
    replied
    Can we steal Thatcher away from them too? Not sure what else it would take but adding Thatcher and Street to the pen would be solid moves.

Leave a comment:

• Ralf
    replied
    I think the Padres can get more for Street, but I hope your right.
    I think in years past, they could. But with the new CBA and free agency compensation, I think they'd be hard pressed to find a better deal. Comparable yes, better no.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by Ralf View Post
    Despite their immediate deficiencies offensively, the Padres plan is to compete long term and on the cheap. Murphy is arbitration eligible after this year. It makes no sense for them to trade for him given their financial constraints and long-term goal. Valdespin is the perfect candidate for them because he is major league ready now and has 3 years of minimum salary.

I bet if we offered Valdespin and Vaughn (local kid) for Street, they'd do it.

Add in we're taking on money.
    I think the Padres can get more for Street, but I hope your right.

Leave a comment:

• Ralf
    replied
    Well the reason I disagree is because Valdespin hasnt proven a thing on the MLB level, Murphy has. Therefore I deem Murphy as our biggest chip especially when talking about the Padres because they do need instant offense.

What are you going to get with Valdespin? Murphy commands more in a trade. Its not a matter of giving up on him its a matter of you have to give to get, and Valedspin is not giving.

We cant have it both ways. We cant say we want to be patient, and groom our players, then say we want to compete now with the current roster. The current roster wont compete all season in my opinion.
    Despite their immediate deficiencies offensively, the Padres plan is to compete long term and on the cheap. Murphy is arbitration eligible after this year. It makes no sense for them to trade for him given their financial constraints and long-term goal. Valdespin is the perfect candidate for them because he is major league ready now and has 3 years of minimum salary.

I bet if we offered Valdespin and Vaughn (local kid) for Street, they'd do it.

Add in we're taking on money.
    Last edited by Ralf; 07-02-2012, 05:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
    If he brings back a Hanrahan, or someone of that caliber, sure...but as Murphy's a good hitter for us, and is heating up, I don't want to see him go for just another pair of forgettable arms.

If we give up Murphy, we need "a name" amongst relievers, not just a few no-names.
    You need a name for Murphy? Well I was hoping for solid pen help. What kind of name do you think Murphy is going to get you back? Murphy is not old but he is not a 20 year prospect with upside anymore either at 27 we should have seen some glimpses of what he can be. To that I think we have a "good" average hitter with a lower than average OBP, and no power. So what name are you getting back?

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X