Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
    Wow. No.

Duda is not a MLB player, neither is Kirk, Hairston is a bench player.
    I disagree all around. Duda needs to be on another team, where he can be either a regular firstbaseman or a DH. We haven't seen enough of Niiewenhuis to know whether he's a Major Leaguer or not. He's still extremely young, and has a lot of defensive prowess. As for Hairston, yeah, the guy who led the Mets in 2012 slugging percentage is a "bench player." Sorry, Hairston's much better than a bench player. And believe it or not, although the most games played in LF, CF, and RF were played by Bay, Torres, and Duda, respectively, Hairston played more games in the outfield in 2012 than any other Met. And his bat has proven he deserves more than a platoon. All this may be moot, though, since Hairston will probably sign with another team for next season; a team that'll play him every day and get 35+ homers out of him.

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
    Agree with Pauly - no. This doesn't get it done. I'd add: Ruben Tejada is a not a lead-off hitter for any good MLB team ever. You gotta get somebody up top (maybe one of the OF spots that need filling) who can run. Tejada should hit 8th.
    Frankly, it matters not who leads off in any team's lineup. We're talking about only the first inning here. Every lineup position on every team eventually leads off on a regular basis during each and every game. It really doesn't matter who's penned in as the first batter in the lineup. Just look at the stats. A "lead-off batter" leads off an inning virtually as much as any other position in the batting order.
    Put it in the books.

Comment

• False - Hairston is merely a platoon player who'll bash lefties and absolutely fail to hit against righties. He's not starting material.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post
        Excellent point - all the "pressure" is on Brian Cashman for his failed 95-win team and not Sandy Alderson for his 88-loss squad.
        Very different owners with a very different mind set. Cashman gets to make decisions and is involved in a multi billion dollar machine. Alderson is the bullet proof vest for two incompetent morons, and has as much to do with creating a winner with the Mets as a potted plant.

But of course you had to take your shot at Alderson so I get it

Comment

• Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
          I am not trying to compare the Mets to the Yanks. My main point is, how do you expect to please any NY based teams fanbase when you can have a track record like the Yankees and still have to deal with empty seats for the playoffs (not only the expensive ones), complaining about a brand new stadium, having no loyalty whatsoever to players as soon as they slump, all with an ownership willing to outspend the rest of baseball by millions? I guess it comes down to the type of person you are. Some people are never happy. You talk about the Cubs. They have been a losing team for years, play in a old stadium with small seats, bad sightlines, hardly any restrooms in a climate where it is either to cold or to hot and they manage to sell out and thoroughly enjoy themselves when they go to a game. The Cubs are "losers" but there fans are "winners". I wish the same could be said about most NY fans.
          Some people accept losing. I don't.

Not everyone can win. The NY football Giants try hard to win and to put out a quality product for the last 30 years. The NY Rangers try to put out a good team, and will spend money like water to give the fans their money's worth. They charge outlandish prices, yet they have no problem selling out . Fans seem to think they get their money's worth.

The Mets are in NYC, but are run like they are in Podunk, Nebraska. They charge high prices, have a payroll lower than the Twins and Brewers, and they basically suck from top to bottom...and that included AA and AAA too.

I have been to Wrigley. The place is a dump. 90% of the fans , so to speak, are drunks who think they are at a frat party and don't usually know there is a baseball game going on. I would venture to guess that the majority of fools at Wrigley are not from Chicago; most don't live in Chicago; and are inebriated WASP's who are afraid to venture into the South Side.

I am basically a happy person; sports are not my life. I was glad the football Giants won today and I am happy that the baseball Giants are currently winning today...but it has no effect on my life.

The NY Mets have become irrelevant, per the Wall Street Journal and the NY Times. When the Yankees win, they dominate the media. When the Yankees lose, they dominate the media. The current owners have ruined the franchise and driven the team into the ground; back in the 1960's the NY Yankees were driven into the ground to the point where they almost moved from NY. A new owner saved them.

If you are watching the Cardinals vs Giants game, you are watching two franchises that have been run well for a while; at least a decade for the Giants and a lot longer for the Cards. Both of those fan bases should be proud, win or lose , of their 2012 seasons !

How can somebody actually be proud of the Mets 2012 season ? How can somebody continue to accept losing EVERY YEAR and keep posting the fake optimism stuff year after year. If the Mets were a business (besides MLB) they would have been in Chapter 11 long ago. In fact, I am hoping one of those reality shows that goes around and saves taverns and restaurants will visit the Mets and turn them around in 48 hours.

Comment

Very different owners with a very different mind set. Cashman gets to make decisions and is involved in a multi billion dollar machine. Alderson is the bullet proof vest for two incompetent morons, and has as much to do with creating a winner with the Mets as a potted plant.

But of course you had to take your shot at Alderson so I get it
            It's hardly a pot shot - just a statement of fact. Alderson has no pressure on him - your description of his role as a "bullet proof vest for two incompetent morons" is not far from the truth. I merely fault him for agreeing to waste his reputation in taking on that role and constantly lying to fans. But you're right about the job description, and its relationship to ownership.
            Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

It's hardly a pot shot - just a statement of fact. Alderson has no pressure on him - your description of his role as a "bullet proof vest for two incompetent morons" is not far from the truth. I merely fault him for agreeing to waste his reputation in taking on that role and constantly lying to fans. But you're right about the job description, and its relationship to ownership.
              I do agree with you he sullied his reputation coming here, but I think any team that wants him after this mess is still getting a potentially excellent GM...given the right opportunity.

On his resume - when he explains his Met tenure to a potential employer, it comes with a big explanation.

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                Some people accept losing. I don't.

Not everyone can win. The NY football Giants try hard to win and to put out a quality product for the last 30 years. The NY Rangers try to put out a good team, and will spend money like water to give the fans their money's worth. They charge outlandish prices, yet they have no problem selling out . Fans seem to think they get their money's worth.

The Mets are in NYC, but are run like they are in Podunk, Nebraska. They charge high prices, have a payroll lower than the Twins and Brewers, and they basically suck from top to bottom...and that included AA and AAA too.

I have been to Wrigley. The place is a dump. 90% of the fans , so to speak, are drunks who think they are at a frat party and don't usually know there is a baseball game going on. I would venture to guess that the majority of fools at Wrigley are not from Chicago; most don't live in Chicago; and are inebriated WASP's who are afraid to venture into the South Side.

I am basically a happy person; sports are not my life. I was glad the football Giants won today and I am happy that the baseball Giants are currently winning today...but it has no effect on my life.

The NY Mets have become irrelevant, per the Wall Street Journal and the NY Times. When the Yankees win, they dominate the media. When the Yankees lose, they dominate the media. The current owners have ruined the franchise and driven the team into the ground; back in the 1960's the NY Yankees were driven into the ground to the point where they almost moved from NY. A new owner saved them.

If you are watching the Cardinals vs Giants game, you are watching two franchises that have been run well for a while; at least a decade for the Giants and a lot longer for the Cards. Both of those fan bases should be proud, win or lose , of their 2012 seasons !

How can somebody actually be proud of the Mets 2012 season ? How can somebody continue to accept losing EVERY YEAR and keep posting the fake optimism stuff year after year. If the Mets were a business (besides MLB) they would have been in Chapter 11 long ago. In fact, I am hoping one of those reality shows that goes around and saves taverns and restaurants will visit the Mets and turn them around in 48 hours.
                I do not need the Wall Street Journal and NY times to tell me whats relevant and irrelevent in my life. The Mets are relevant as far as I am concerned and judging from your 4599 posts they are relevant for you also. I do not accept losing but I like to live in a realistic world. I realize what the current state of the Mets are and still choose to root for them. I root for them because I am a Mets fan and believe anything else would be disloyal. I also believe taking "time off" from rooting for my team when they do not win or come upon hard times is not the right thing to do. I still enjoy going to games and can actually enjoy all a ballgame has to offer even when the team I am rooting for loses more times then it wins. For me it is still fun and I am also interested in what moves they make during a offseason but I guess I have the patience to actually wait until the deals are made before I pass judgement if they are good or bad or I may actually wait a long period of time to see how a move works out. I also give a front office the benefit of the doubt that they know more about there jobs then I know about there jobs and realize there may be factors I do not have knowledge of that effect there decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                  I do agree with you he sullied his reputation coming here, but I think any team that wants him after this mess is still getting a potentially excellent GM...given the right opportunity.

On his resume - when he explains his Met tenure to a potential employer, it comes with a big explanation.
                  Ownership just doenst have good judment. Yeah they can cower behind Alderson all they want but they hired an American League GM for a National League team that built a park to uphold the team and leagues values. If the Wilpons wanted cheap HR oriented team then they wouldnt have give Citifield its original dimensions (I do not believe for a second that the deep walls was just Minayas call they loved the idea of a big ball park just like many of us). So instead of building on the one thing that they did have, a distinct differentiation between their ballpark and all most of the others, they through their gullability destroy the character of the park's dimensions for the sake of making it more "normal"; beffiting the visitors moreso than the hometeam.... a--backwards.

Alderson is playing the Wilpons like a fiddle taking the team away from its identity and into the hands of American League Bandbox Baseball...
                  Last edited by trepye; 10-22-2012, 11:01 AM.
                  :lightbulb:Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
                  Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Comment

• Originally posted by trepye View Post
                    Ownership just doenst have good judment. Yeah they can cower behind Alderson all they want but they hired an American League GM for a National League team that built a park to uphold the team and leagues values. If the Wilpons wanted cheap HR oriented team then they wouldnt have give Citifield its original dimensions (I do not believe for a second that the deep walls was just Minayas call they loved the idea of a big ball park just like many of us). So instead of building on the one thing that they did have, a distinct differentiation between their ballpark and all most of the others, they through their gullability destroy the character of the park's dimensions for the sake of making it more "normal"; beffiting the visitors moreso than the hometeam.... a--backwards.

Alderson is playing the Wilpons like a fiddle taking the team away from its identity and into the hands of American League Bandbox Baseball...
                    CitiField and bandbox should not be used in the same sentence.

Comment

One of your more ridiculous posts........and thats going some.

Actually after reading your post again for comic reasons I decided to expand on my response.

First of all if you know anything and you have followed the trail Alderson was sent here by Selig. Alderson doesnt even want to be here nevermind play the morons like a fiddle.

Second - the teams identity? Which is what exactly? Are you going to tell me ......pitching? If so stop it. Thats every bad teams "identity". The Mets only identity is they are a losing organization with a 50 year irrelevent history.

Third - American League Bandbox Baseball - We should be so lucky to have players that produce like in your so called "bandboxes". The Met front office (pre Alderson), and ownership built a stadium that was anti the "face of the franchise"....David Wright. The dimensions of the stadium were just idiotic. The dimensions and wall heights made it look like a prison. Hideous. David Wright - who HAD exceptional opposite field power walked into a stadium with a 415ft RCF. Terrific...very well thought out.

I am not sure if you believe what you post or you just do it to get reaction, but either way I beg of you to save the band width your wasting.
                      Last edited by Paulypal; 10-22-2012, 02:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
                        CitiField and bandbox should not be used in the same sentence.
                        Agree, but in fact Alderson has been on record of saying during one of his interviews that there should be consideration to bring the fences in further. Seriously Aldy, this is your idea of being a GM?? Instead of attempting to keep/sign the right PLAYERS he is taking about changing the playing field.

This mans philosophies are not beffiting of the vision that the Wilpons had of this team. Their lack of convictions is quite lamentful.
                        :lightbulb:Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
                        Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Comment

Agree, but in fact Alderson has been on record of saying during one of his interviews that there should be consideration to bring the fences in further. Seriously Aldy, this is your idea of being a GM?? Instead of attempting to keep/sign the right PLAYERS he is taking about changing the playing field.

This mans philosophies are not beffiting of the vision that the Wilpons had of this team. Their lack of convictions is quite lamentful.

And of course you contradict yourself.

"Sign the right players"......Unless your going to sign 9 Ichiro's the right players also include a heavy dose of power hitting. I repeat POWER HITTING. So tell me because you seem to know.........what power hitters are coming to a park that you cant hit homers in?

Your response is going to be then we dont need power hitters. The team should be designed around speed and defense. I know thats your next thought because thats the knee jerk incorrect response that you get from people that dont look back at history.

The best teams that have ever been assembled had a heavy dose of power. I am not saying you need 6 guys that can hit 50 homers but you need power to win. I will use our own Mets. Their best teams ever by far was the 1985-1990 teams. They had power. They were able to hit homers (even in Shea which was a pitchers park). They were able to change the game with one swing. This is 2012 not 1912.

Citi Field in its orginal form was doomed from the start. I didnt just have this epiphany. If you go back to when the Gates of Hell opened in 2009 I was claiming that there is no big time power hitter in their right mind going to sign here.

I saved the best for last because I found this to be hysterically funny, and frightfully psychotic all at the same time:

"This mans philosophies are not beffiting of the vision that the Wilpons had of this team"

Do you really believe Wilpon has a vision for this teams success? At any point in time do you believe that Wilpon had a vision for this teams success? After what we have witnessed in the past 6 years you can not honestly tell me that you believe that. Further more to blame Alderson for Wilpons lack of vision is so off the charts stupid that it defies logic. Yes even internet forum logic.

The line that I quoted on bolded may be the single worst line ever posted on this forum, or BBF ever. It makes me believe that you just can not be serious, and if you are....well I am so sorry for your loss. May the Lord walk with you.
                          Last edited by Paulypal; 10-22-2012, 03:03 PM.

Comment

And of course you contradict yourself.

"Sign the right players"......Unless your going to sign 9 Ichiro's the right players also include a heavy dose of power hitting. I repeat POWER HITTING. So tell me because you seem to know.........what power hitters are coming to a park that you cant hit homers in?

Your response is going to be then we dont need power hitters. The team should be designed around speed and defense. I know thats your next thought because thats the knee jerk incorrect response that you get from people that dont look back at history.

The best teams that have ever been assembled had a heavy dose of power. I am not saying you need 6 guys that can hit 50 homers but you need power to win. I will use our own Mets. Their best teams ever by far was the 1985-1990 teams. They had power. They were able to hit homers (even in Shea which was a pitchers park). They were able to change the game with one swing. This is 2012 not 1912.

Citi Field in its orginal form was doomed from the start. I didnt just have this epiphany. If you go back to when the Gates of Hell opened in 2009 I was claiming that there is no big time power hitter in their right mind going to sign here.

I saved the best for last because I found this to be hysterically funny, and frightfully psychotic all at the same time:

"This mans philosophies are not beffiting of the vision that the Wilpons had of this team"

Do you really believe Wilpon has a vision for this teams success? At any point in time do you believe that Wilpon had a vision for this teams success? After what we have witnessed in the past 6 years you can not honestly tell me that you believe that. Further more to blame Alderson for Wilpons lack of vision is so off the charts stupid that it defies logic. Yes even internet forum logic.

The line that I quoted on bolded may be the single worst line ever posted on this forum, or BBF ever. It makes me believe that you just can not be serious, and if you are....well I am so sorry for your loss. May the Lord walk with you.
                            Very funny. I could hear your frustration as I read your post. Thats whats great about this blog, everyone is entitled to there opinion.

Comment

• So much hyperemotional Efroth sprayed all over, where do I start....

Your response is going to be then we dont need power hitters.
                              A team has to have a balance between legit power hitters, speedsters, contact hitters and a player that can work a count. Power was seen as David hit 29 on a team that was 14 games over 0.500 at home in 2010, Tulowitzki hit 4 homeruns in a 4 game series. Homeruns where possible in the previous configurations. It was just that they where well hit balls. Imagine that, hitting a homerun when real contact is made not an excuse-me flyball going over a short fence

Thats my point we need REAL power hitters that will hit them at home and on the road. Not glorified flyball hitters that exploit short fencing.

Which brings me to this fallacy...

"what power hitters are coming to a park that you cant hit homers in?"
                              When has a power hitter not gone to a team because of the ballpark??? Cite an example, any.

As far as the Wilpons I do believe that they wanted to create a team that was similar to the ones that are in the World Series right now. The Tigers and the Giant built their teams that through their large ballparks and were able to use this differentiation in fields dimension to create throwback teams that were fundamentaly sound hitters and had great pitching. The owners of these teams stuck with it (albeit there was an alteration in Detroit but was not as radical as the one in Citifield), but Aldy got the best of the Wilpons lack of conviction as he seemingly wanted to recreate the Orioles, Blue Jays who hit alot of homeruns through their cute little band boxes, but not much else.

World series is gonna be lotta fun to watch teams who stuck with their ballparks characters and executed their long term plans.
                              Last edited by trepye; 10-22-2012, 09:44 PM.

Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Comment

So much hyperemotional Efroth sprayed all over, where do I start....

A team has to have a balance between legit power hitters, speedsters, contact hitters and a player that can work a count. Power was seen as David hit 29 on a team that was 14 games over 0.500 at home in 2010, Tulowitzki hit 4 homeruns in a 4 game series. Homeruns where possible in the previous configurations. It was just that they where well hit balls. Imagine that, hitting a homerun when real contact is made not an excuse-me flyball going over a short fence

Thats my point we need REAL power hitters that will hit them at home and on the road. Not glorified flyball hitters that exploit short fencing.

Which brings me to this fallacy...

When has a power hitter not gone to a team because of the ballpark??? Cite an example, any.

As far as the Wilpons I do believe that they wanted to create a team that was similar to the ones that are in the World Series right now. The Tigers and the Giant built their teams that through their large ballparks and were able to use this differentiation in fields dimension to create throwback teams that were fundamentaly sound hitters and had great pitching. The owners of these teams stuck with it (albeit there was an alteration in Detroit but was not as radical as the one in Citifield), but Aldy got the best of the Wilpons lack of conviction as he seemingly wanted to recreate the Orioles, Blue Jays who hit alot of homeruns through their cute little band boxes, but not much else.

World series is gonna be lotta fun to watch teams who stuck with their ballparks characters and executed their long term plans.
                                I agree with most of what you say except for two major points. Citi is far from a bandbox and the Mets are currently developing some pretty good young pitchers which well fit well into a FAIRLY configured ballpark

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X