X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    Is there any chance that Sandy doesn't win MLB Executive of the Year this year?
    I could only imagine the reaction on this forum if that ever happens.

Leave a comment:

• GiambiJuice
    replied
    Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
    What is the take on the Mets outside of the NYC metro area? I honestly don't know. The locals seem very loathe to say anything positive about anyone in management (see also Phil Jackson with the Knocks, Cashman, the Jets/Giants ...)
    My Met fan friends are mostly waiting for the other shoe to drop. They still have 2007 and 2008 in the back of their minds.

Leave a comment:

• PVNICK
    replied
    What is the take on the Mets outside of the NYC metro area? I honestly don't know. The locals seem very loathe to say anything positive about anyone in management (see also Phil Jackson with the Knocks, Cashman, the Jets/Giants ...)

Leave a comment:

• GiambiJuice
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    Get a good pitch to hit-what a concept! If you can do that and "hit 'em where they ain't", you've got it made.

As White Sox broadcaster Darrin Jackson once said, this game's not rocket surgery.
    Exactly right. Thats all the term "hunt strikes" means.

Leave a comment:

• ol' aches and pains
    replied
    Get a good pitch to hit-what a concept! If you can do that and "hit 'em where they ain't", you've got it made.

As White Sox broadcaster Darrin Jackson once said, this game's not rocket surgery.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by trepye View Post
    I am sure Aldy personally explained it to you already... The point, which went waaay over your head, is that when you have real and bonafide talent you dont need to do little gimmicks that are bestowed some supposedly catchy name.

Talent is talent, ergo Cespedes can hit on an average stretch much better than what Mayberry Jr can hit on a great stretch of hunting strikes.
    Yes when you talk baseball it goes waaaay over my head.

Top of the food chain hitters talk about "hunting strikes". Somehow that became the term for "getting a good pitch to hit". Sandy didnt invent it or make up the term, but thats what it evolved into.

What it actually means is - Dont let good pitches go by if its the pitch you want - Hunt the strikes you can hammer.

Someone that doesnt get it calles it a "gimmick". For others its just instilling a mind-set of doing damage when you get your pitch. Its a cue to the hitter .

This is something Hank Aaron spoke about, Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle...etc etc. Those guys were just so gimmicky.

Alderson didnt need to explain it to me. I actually follow baseball, and knew what it meant when I heard it.
    Last edited by Paulypal; 08-26-2015, 07:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• trepye
    replied
    Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
    You were actually ok for 75% of the post then you fell back into your lack of understanding of what "hunt strikes" even means.

Its all good though - keep it coming. I find it entertaining in a short bus kind of way.
    I am sure Aldy personally explained it to you already... The point, which went waaay over your head, is that when you have real and bonafide talent you dont need to do little gimmicks that are bestowed some supposedly catchy name.

Talent is talent, ergo Cespedes can hit on an average stretch much better than what Mayberry Jr can hit on a great stretch of hunting strikes.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    No retort from GJ's trolling.... I guess he found better things to do with his mundane Yankess. Good.

Anyways, Alderson does deserve much credit for the trade deadline acquisitions, specifically Uribe, Johnson, Clippard. Cespedes seems to have been forced on him by Jeff (http://www.northjersey.com/mobile/sp...ders-1.1384601), so the owner gets much of the credit for that one, and although Aldy was foolishly resisting he did have enough desirable prospect chips to make it happen so kudos to him too.

I do wonder, how the new professional hitters will be indoctrinated into hunting strikes? I suppose they tell everyone else to STHU and just watch their talent do its thing. :-)
    You were actually ok for 75% of the post then you fell back into your lack of understanding of what "hunt strikes" even means.

Its all good though - keep it coming. I find it entertaining in a short bus kind of way.

Leave a comment:

• trepye
    replied
    No retort from GJ's trolling.... I guess he found better things to do with his mundane Yankess. Good.

Anyways, Alderson does deserve much credit for the trade deadline acquisitions, specifically Uribe, Johnson, Clippard. Cespedes seems to have been forced on him by Jeff (http://www.northjersey.com/mobile/sp...ders-1.1384601), so the owner gets much of the credit for that one, and although Aldy was foolishly resisting he did have enough desirable prospect chips to make it happen so kudos to him too.

I do wonder, how the new professional hitters will be indoctrinated into hunting strikes? I suppose they tell everyone else to STHU and just watch their talent do its thing. :-)

Leave a comment:

• trepye
    replied
    Calm down.
    Umm... I am calm, all I did was ask you a simple question...
    What is it to you that you have to go out of your way to comment on other fans commentary about a team you do not root for.
    Care to retort without invoking oversensitivity?

Leave a comment:

• GiambiJuice
    replied
    What is it to you that you have to go out of your way to comment on other fans commentary about a team you do not root for. I know the Yankees were a bore at the deadline(and to me ingeneral, which is why I never go to their thread), but they did announce their prospect pitchers start next week... Why dont you divulge some mental effort on that GJ? Oh thats right, maybe you're bored ;-).....
    Calm down.

Leave a comment:

• rjsallstars
    replied
    What is it to you that you have to go out of your way to comment on other fans commentary about a team you do not root for. I know the Yankees were a bore at the deadline(and to me ingeneral, which is why I never go to their thread), but they did announce their prospect pitchers start next week... Why dont you divulge some mental effort on that GJ? Oh thats right, maybe you're bored ;-).....
    I agree with his comment. I think they did very well also. There are a lot of Long time Met fans who have said less positive things about the team the last few years than Mr. GiambiJuice.

Leave a comment:

• trepye
    replied
    For all the bitchin' and moanin' the Mets had a very solid haul by the deadline.

Leave a comment:

• mandrake
    replied
    People can still be [email protected]$$e$ and be a success. Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens, Pete Rose and Reggie Jackson were all succesful. Doesn't mean I want them over for dinner. Sandy's personality just turns me off.My dad thinks he can't do any wrong because he was USMC. Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X