X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
    Funny thing is the Red Sox model --- is his model
    But Sandy is clean-shaven?
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Glad to see that the irrational Alderson hate is still rampant here. I guess I haven't missed much.

By the way, remember when Alderson was an idiot for trading Dickey? Well that failed spectacularly for all the Alderson-haters in the world.

*cough* Strawman *cough*
      Last edited by CokeMachineGlow; 11-07-2013, 08:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CokeMachineGlow View Post
        Glad to see that the irrational Alderson hate is still rampant here. I guess I haven't missed much.

By the way, remember when Alderson was an idiot for trading Dickey? Well that failed spectacularly for all the Alderson-haters in the world.

*cough* Strawman *cough*
        Get some Sudafed.

PS - who won more games for bad teams last year, RA Dickey or any Mets pitcher?
        Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post
          Get some Sudafed.

PS - who won more games for bad teams last year, RA Dickey or any Mets pitcher?
          I prefer P2P when making my methamphetamine, thanks.

PS - Dickey came back to earth and is being paid a lump sum to be an average pitcher.
          PPS - We have one of the best pitching prospects in the league and a potential All-Star Catcher --- all given to us for relatively nothing.

Comment

I prefer P2P when making my methamphetamine, thanks.

PS - Dickey came back to earth and is being paid a lump sum to be an average pitcher.
            PPS - We have one of the best pitching prospects in the league and a potential All-Star Catcher --- all given to us for relatively nothing.
            We???? Who wrote this,, Mike Francesa?

Last April , the Mets (not 'WE") had a potential all star catcher . His name was John Buck. After April, some fans had him as the starting all star game catcher. Don't take my word for it...it's all buried on the Mets forums to those who like to wave the Wil-ponzi banner.

Well in 2014, who pray tell is this potential all star game catcher? Did the Mets kidnap Molina or Posey ?

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/bas...y-need-to-spee

Mets people say that they want to acquire a big bat in a trade, but don’t want to move either Noah Syndergaard or Zack Wheeler. Well, you have to give to get, don’t you? Rival clubs are going to want one of those guys.

One possible way around the problem: Moving Travis d’Arnaud instead. Some Mets people are really high on catching prospect Kevin Plawecki. Is it wise to move d’Arnaud off another injury-shortened year, when his value might be down? Could the Mets even land a big hitter in exchange for him? The initial thought here on both questions is no, but it’s something to watch.

There's no way Sandy can trade the "potential all star catcher" . Right?

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post

Last April , the Mets (not 'WE") had a potential all star catcher . His name was John Buck. After April, some fans had him as the starting all star game catcher. Don't take my word for it...it's all buried on the Mets forums to those who like to wave the Wil-ponzi banner.

Well in 2014, who pray tell is this potential all star game catcher? Did the Mets kidnap Molina or Posey ?

Mets people say that they want to acquire a big bat in a trade, but don’t want to move either Noah Syndergaard or Zack Wheeler. Well, you have to give to get, don’t you? Rival clubs are going to want one of those guys.

One possible way around the problem: Moving Travis d’Arnaud instead. Some Mets people are really high on catching prospect Kevin Plawecki. Is it wise to move d’Arnaud off another injury-shortened year, when his value might be down? Could the Mets even land a big hitter in exchange for him? The initial thought here on both questions is no, but it’s something to watch.

1. Jesus, you're one of those people aren't you? Fine, the Mets. Not we. The Mets. Happy?
              2. John Buck sucks. Only the casual fans who don't know crap about baseball thought he was an All-Star.
              3. D'Arnaud isn't the model of consistent health, but he's by all means considered a potential All-Star catcher. He's above-average defensively and offensively, and at a premium position like catcher that's All-Star worthy.

Comment

1. Jesus, you're one of those people aren't you? Fine, the Mets. Not we. The Mets. Happy?
                2. John Buck sucks. Only the casual fans who don't know crap about baseball thought he was an All-Star.
                3. D'Arnaud isn't the model of consistent health, but he's by all means considered a potential All-Star catcher. He's above-average defensively and offensively, and at a premium position like catcher that's All-Star worthy.
                D'Arnaud is on the trading block - the future All Star who was the centerpiece of the Dickey deal:

And btw, Dickey would look pretty good backing up the Harvey injury instead of the Mets having to go get a veteran arm.

Comment

Hey, it happens. Like your Giants -Angels World Series prediction. Just message board talk.

Comment

I think it's okay to say we. Not sure why it's a big deal? Buck did not suck. He was much better than Thole and handled a pitching staff very well. Once D'arnaud was healthy you had to give the job to him making Buck expendable. A prospect rated that high needs to play . Buck and Byrd were then traded for a promising relief pitcher and a young 2nd basemen who scouts say may be good one day. For all we know Byrd and maybe even Buck may be back with the team next year. Does anybody think the Jays GM would like to have a do over on the trade last year? I do.

Comment

• "we"

Years ago, when Mike Francesa's good buddy Bill Parcells took over as coach of the Dallas Cowboys, columnist Phil Mushnick asked the following question in the New York Post:

Now that long time football Giants fan Mike Francesa's best friend now took the head coaching job of the Giant's biggest rival, how will Mike describe the Dallas Cowboys on his radio show going forward?
                      a) the enemy
                      b) The Dallas Cowboys
                      c) America's Team
                      d) "WE"

I think I am starting to get a clearer picture of the break between Mets fans on this (and other) forums. When someone posted the 1969 WS photo of the thousands of people who ran on the field, and not a single one was dressed as a 'make believe' Mets player, and then you look at pictures of fans at Citi Field dressed as David Wright or Jose Reyes....the split between the fan base becomes clearer. There are actually people who believe a sports team is "WE". Wearing a jersey is part of that "WE". There are sports psychologists (now there's a job I'd like !) who say that some fans actually do believe they are "WE". Dr Harry Edwards is a prime example, and I think he is on to something !

Anyway, here is a good article on "WE".http://www.neontommy.com/news/2013/0...-using-word-we
                      Call me cynical, but it makes no sense for a fan to refer to an organization as “we.” As a fan, you are not on the court, in the front office or even one of the young boys mopping sweat off the court after every free throw. You have no direct impact on the game, no matter how much you may enjoy telling yourself that by chanting “defense” you are intimidating a grown man making millions for ignoring you as you do just that. Too often you hear how “we are having a good stretch” or “we lost tonight; this sucks.” While I may agree that your favorite team losing does in fact suck, by no means does that justify claiming that you are a part of that team.

There are a lot of articles on the topic of "BASKING IN REFLECTED GLORY" which is about sports fans and the "WE" mentality. http://www.units.muohio.edu/psybersite/fans/bc.shtml

The concept of BIRGing is rooted in the social identity theory which explains how one’s self esteem and evaluation can be enhanced by the identification with another person’s success. One of the keys to BIRGing is that the person trying to receive this glory has done nothing tangible to bring the team’s success

Comment

Years ago, when Mike Francesa's good buddy Bill Parcells took over as coach of the Dallas Cowboys, columnist Phil Mushnick asked the following question in the New York Post:

Now that long time football Giants fan Mike Francesa's best friend now took the head coaching job of the Giant's biggest rival, how will Mike describe the Dallas Cowboys on his radio show going forward?
                        a) the enemy
                        b) The Dallas Cowboys
                        c) America's Team
                        d) "WE"

I think I am starting to get a clearer picture of the break between Mets fans on this (and other) forums. When someone posted the 1969 WS photo of the thousands of people who ran on the field, and not a single one was dressed as a 'make believe' Mets player, and then you look at pictures of fans at Citi Field dressed as David Wright or Jose Reyes....the split between the fan base becomes clearer. There are actually people who believe a sports team is "WE". Wearing a jersey is part of that "WE". There are sports psychologists (now there's a job I'd like !) who say that some fans actually do believe they are "WE". Dr Harry Edwards is a prime example, and I think he is on to something !

Anyway, here is a good article on "WE".http://www.neontommy.com/news/2013/0...-using-word-we
                        Call me cynical, but it makes no sense for a fan to refer to an organization as “we.” As a fan, you are not on the court, in the front office or even one of the young boys mopping sweat off the court after every free throw. You have no direct impact on the game, no matter how much you may enjoy telling yourself that by chanting “defense” you are intimidating a grown man making millions for ignoring you as you do just that. Too often you hear how “we are having a good stretch” or “we lost tonight; this sucks.” While I may agree that your favorite team losing does in fact suck, by no means does that justify claiming that you are a part of that team.

There are a lot of articles on the topic of "BASKING IN REFLECTED GLORY" which is about sports fans and the "WE" mentality. http://www.units.muohio.edu/psybersite/fans/bc.shtml

The concept of BIRGing is rooted in the social identity theory which explains how one’s self esteem and evaluation can be enhanced by the identification with another person’s success. One of the keys to BIRGing is that the person trying to receive this glory has done nothing tangible to bring the team’s success
                        I bet the 1969 photo didn't have any fans wearing a suit, white shirt, tie and fedora hat like the photos of fans in the 1940's who attended baseball games in NY. In 1969 was there even a team store at Shea? Could you go into a sporting goods store and see rack after rack of team jerseys and t-shirts to buy? Even the 86 and 88 playoff photos had a smattering of fans dressed in team jerseys. My memory recalls that somewhere in the mid to late 80's wearing jerseys of your team started to become popular. Today it is more common than not. Disposable income, credit card debt and marketing could be the reason. You can't buy what they don't offer.
                        Last edited by LI METS FAN; 11-08-2013, 07:53 AM.

Comment

a) the enemy
                          b) The Dallas Cowboys
                          c) America's Team
                          d) "WE"

The BIRG study would have come to a complete halt if they took into account Met fans. What success!!

Comment

• Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post

The BIRG study would have come to a complete halt if they took into account Met fans. What success!!
                            I am not real sure what the study brought to light. Basically fans jump on and off the bandwagon as the team wins/loses.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post
                              D'Arnaud is on the trading block - the future All Star who was the centerpiece of the Dickey deal:

And btw, Dickey would look pretty good backing up the Harvey injury instead of the Mets having to go get a veteran arm.
                              Huh. Funny thing is --- Syndergaard was the centerpiece of the deal.

And, by the way, paying an average-ish pitcher without somewhat above-average tendencies $10M+ a year is egregious and asinine in the Mets case.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
                                I think it's okay to say we. Not sure why it's a big deal? Buck did not suck. He was much better than Thole and handled a pitching staff very well. Once D'arnaud was healthy you had to give the job to him making Buck expendable. A prospect rated that high needs to play . Buck and Byrd were then traded for a promising relief pitcher and a young 2nd basemen who scouts say may be good one day. For all we know Byrd and maybe even Buck may be back with the team next year. Does anybody think the Jays GM would like to have a do over on the trade last year? I do.
                                If Buck wasn't hitting homeruns he wasn't doing anything. His offensive metrics are putrid and he's a below-average defender. Buck was/is awful.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X