X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shea Knight
    replied
    Originally posted by milladrive View Post
    In fairness to Minaya, the keys he was given allowed him to buy winners. Only problem with that is, he paid absolutely zero attention to the farm system. If it weren't for the collapses of '07 and '08, there'd be more praise for him. But to not grow any of your own players on the farm was his biggest mistake.

Many fans weren't anti-Omar during those days, and the Wilpons had cash to spare. Alderson came into a huge mess, so, now that things are financially in the toilet, as Pauly said -- he's taking the bullets. The fact remains, though, that the GM cannot be held ultimately accountable when he's got owners who won't keep their hands out of the operations of the ballclub. Many do, but not the Wilpons. Ever since Doubleday made them principle owners, it's been one big rollercoaster, with many more drops than inclines. Hell, I don't even know where '99 and '00 came from.
    Contracts to Ollie and Castillo were his biggest mistake--at least we got Ike, Thole, and Gee off the farm...not game-breakers...but at least they're decent...

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by trepye View Post
    Oh, ok now, so every minor leaguer that comes up has to be a "star". I resoundingly beg to differ. You think it is realistic to develop a star in every position? A successful minor leaguer is one that can come to big league team and significantly contirbute. Based on their contributions to the team the mentioned players were servicable and have potential; most importantly they were fun to follow. I will give you that Minaya was a bust with free agents headlined with Luis Castillo who just destroyed the team. I am not ready however to say that Minaya was a bust with the farm system, not yet at least.

What I can say about Alderson is that so far he has been a bust with retaining our homegrown talent.
    Ok so based on your definition of a succesfully developed player is one that comes up and contributes. You saw contributions from some of the names you mentioned?

You need to put these names in perspective. Now they were able to come up and play with the Mets because lets face it....they stink, and they are basically a AAA team. These guys wouldnt even get a sniff on some other teams because their is an actual major leaguer playing.

Nobody expects an All Star at every position, but I think we should rightfully expect to see a major leaguer at every position.

All I can say about Alderson is that he wasnt given to the resources to retain homegrown talent.

Leave a comment:

• trepye
    replied
    Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
    Besides Ike....isnt the jury out on every other name on that list?

Can you say anyone of the names are a bonafide major leaguer? Now the Met organization has tried to make us believe that the HOF should start creating their HOF bust but cmon.

You may try to say Murphy is a good player, but he is just a good hitter. Too bad for him he needs a glove.
    Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
    I agree. Its not like we were developing stars. Ike is the closest thing to a star player that came out of the Minaya/Bernazard regime (sorry couldnt resist)
    Originally posted by ribant View Post
    I gotta go with Pauly. Except for Ike none of these guys have shown they are any better than average MLB players. And Ike has to show he has recovered from his injury.

Minaya was given a blank check and spent tons of money poorly let Bernazard run amuck in the farm, and tunneled under Randolph and replaced him with an incompetent.

How he got another MLB job is beyond me.
    Oh, ok now, so every minor leaguer that comes up has to be a "star". I resoundingly beg to differ. You think it is realistic to develop a star in every position? A successful minor leaguer is one that can come to big league team and significantly contirbute. Based on their contributions to the team the mentioned players were servicable and have potential; most importantly they were fun to follow. I will give you that Minaya was a bust with free agents headlined with Luis Castillo who just destroyed the team. I am not ready however to say that Minaya was a bust with the farm system, not yet at least.

What I can say about Alderson is that so far he has been a bust with retaining our homegrown talent.
    Last edited by trepye; 12-09-2011, 10:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ribant
    replied
    What the heck are you talking about...

Daniel Murphy
    Jon Niese
    Ike Davis
    Lucas Duda
    Josh Thole
    Pedro Beato
    Dillon Gee
    Henrii Mejia
    Justin Turner

...Are all succesful/prominsing products of the Mets farm system under Minaya's tenure. I know many Mets fans did not like him but dont talk crap. Be objective informative and fair.

Can you say anyone of the names are a bonafide major leaguer? Now the Met organization has tried to make us believe that the HOF should start creating their HOF bust but cmon.

You may try to say Murphy is a good player, but he is just a good hitter. Too bad for him he needs a glove.
    I gotta go with Pauly. Except for Ike none of these guys have shown they are any better than average MLB players. And Ike has to show he has recovered from his injury.

Minaya was given a blank check and spent tons of money poorly let Bernazard run amuck in the farm, and tunneled under Randolph and replaced him with an incompetent.

How he got another MLB job is beyond me.

Leave a comment:

• theAmazingMet
    replied

I agree. Its not like we were developing stars. Ike is the closest thing to a star player that came out of the Minaya/Bernazard regime (sorry couldnt resist)

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied

Daniel Murphy
    Jon Niese
    Ike Davis
    Lucas Duda
    Josh Thole
    Pedro Beato
    Dillon Gee
    Henrii Mejia
    Justin Turner

...Are all succesful/prominsing products of the Mets farm system under Minaya's tenure. I know many Mets fans did not like him but dont talk crap. Be objective informative and fair.

Leave a comment:

• trepye
    replied
    Originally posted by milladrive View Post
    In fairness to Minaya, the keys he was given allowed him to buy winners. Only problem with that is, he paid absolutely zero attention to the farm system.

Daniel Murphy
    Jon Niese
    Ike Davis
    Lucas Duda
    Josh Thole
    Pedro Beato
    Dillon Gee
    Henrii Mejia
    Justin Turner

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by Strawman View Post
    Easy Pauly, I'm just another damaged and mentally unstable Mets fan, remember? Fellow travelers every one of us - a lunatic fringe.
    Strawman you are just not another mentally unstable Met fan....You are the poster boy.

Leave a comment:

• Strawman
    replied
    Easy Pauly, I'm just another damaged and mentally unstable Mets fan, remember? Fellow travelers every one of us - a lunatic fringe.

Leave a comment:

• milladrive
    replied
    In fairness to Minaya, the keys he was given allowed him to buy winners. Only problem with that is, he paid absolutely zero attention to the farm system. If it weren't for the collapses of '07 and '08, there'd be more praise for him. But to not grow any of your own players on the farm was his biggest mistake.

Many fans weren't anti-Omar during those days, and the Wilpons had cash to spare. Alderson came into a huge mess, so, now that things are financially in the toilet, as Pauly said -- he's taking the bullets. The fact remains, though, that the GM cannot be held ultimately accountable when he's got owners who won't keep their hands out of the operations of the ballclub. Many do, but not the Wilpons. Ever since Doubleday made them principle owners, it's been one big rollercoaster, with many more drops than inclines. Hell, I don't even know where '99 and '00 came from.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X