This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official NY Mets 2011 Season Thread

With ST starting up how about a thread to discuss baseball. Not owners, or lawsuits, or stadium dimensions, or the neighborhood.

Baseball.

I don't think anyone can realistically predict a challenge to the Phillies, and probably not a wild card for this season. But still there are sime interesting young players I want to see. I also want to see if some of the vets (Beltran, Bay, Reyes) can have full healthy seasons.

The baseball games are the reason I follow the team, participate on message boards, etc.

Good idea - some interesting baseball stories:

- The big 2B competition
    - Re-signing Jose Reyes or turning off huge portion of fan base with Seaver II deal and giving up on this generation
    - Pitching beyond our, er, "top 3"
    - K-Rod - felon or rejuvenated closer?
    - Set-up man - who we got?
    - Ike's sophomore year - does he move up in class?
    - Lucas Duda, 4th OF? (or 3rd)
    - Terry Collins over/under for team petition to management?
    - Beltran building deadline deal value in first half?

And much more!
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

So, no one wants to talk baseball?

It's spring. Can't wait to watch some games.

Comment

Originally posted by metfan13 View Post
        So, no one wants to talk baseball?

It's spring. Can't wait to watch some games.
        This season is going to be very interesting because it really is going to be the foundation of the Mets going forward. There are a few thing I am going to keep my eye on for sure.

The first one and the most important one in my mind is Jose Reyes. If Jose has a really big first half the Mets are going to have a huge decision to make.

1) Do they try to resign him during the year?
        2) Trade him if they cant
        3) Risk Jose hitting the FA market and getting nothing for him. I and assume all on this board have no idea what Jose wants to do, but seeing what Carl Crawford just got as a FA he knows whats out there. Add in the fact that he is a shortstop. It puts Jose in the drivers seat for sure.

Here is the scenario I most fear. Jose having a great half season. The Mets offer him a long term deal and he turns it down. What do they do? I dont want Jose going anywhere but I also dont want him walking away while the Mets get nothing for it. I dont see the Mets giving Jose 20 million a year either.

Jose Reyes by far is going to be the most interesting player on the Mets this year.

We all know Beltran is gone either in July if healthy or at seasons end.

I am also very interested to see if Oliver Perez breaks camp with Mets. Its been embarassing that he is still on the team, if he actually breaks camp with them its worse.

I am also very curious what happens at second base. Its been a revolving door of nothingness the last couple of years.

Of course Capuano/Young will be interesting to watch.

Can Jason Bay bounce back?

Does David Wright continue to have an increasing K rate as he tries to pull everything?

Can Pelfrey put it all together for a full season with no fade's or hiccups?

Is Dickey for real?

Can Ike progress? Or is he just keeping it warm for Albert (I know I am dreaming, but its ST so I am allowed)

Thole?

Comment

Can Angel Pagan perform better? Will he ever hit for the cycle?
          The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
            This season is going to be very interesting because it really is going to be the foundation of the Mets going forward. There are a few thing I am going to keep my eye on for sure.

The first one and the most important one in my mind is Jose Reyes. If Jose has a really big first half the Mets are going to have a huge decision to make.

1) Do they try to resign him during the year?
            2) Trade him if they cant
            3) Risk Jose hitting the FA market and getting nothing for him. I and assume all on this board have no idea what Jose wants to do, but seeing what Carl Crawford just got as a FA he knows whats out there. Add in the fact that he is a shortstop. It puts Jose in the drivers seat for sure.

Here is the scenario I most fear. Jose having a great half season. The Mets offer him a long term deal and he turns it down. What do they do? I dont want Jose going anywhere but I also dont want him walking away while the Mets get nothing for it. I dont see the Mets giving Jose 20 million a year either.

Jose Reyes by far is going to be the most interesting player on the Mets this year.

We all know Beltran is gone either in July if healthy or at seasons end.

I am also very interested to see if Oliver Perez breaks camp with Mets. Its been embarassing that he is still on the team, if he actually breaks camp with them its worse.

I am also very curious what happens at second base. Its been a revolving door of nothingness the last couple of years.

Of course Capuano/Young will be interesting to watch.

Can Jason Bay bounce back?

Does David Wright continue to have an increasing K rate as he tries to pull everything?

Can Pelfrey put it all together for a full season with no fade's or hiccups?

Is Dickey for real?

Can Ike progress? Or is he just keeping it warm for Albert (I know I am dreaming, but its ST so I am allowed)

Thole?
            This is the kind of post I'm looking for. Yes, lots of questions, but those questions make the season interesting. Another one to watch is the Mets use of K-Rod, especially depending on how the season's going. If everything breaks right for the first time in ages and they're close to a wild card spot, do they continue normal use? If they fall back, do they more or less ensure he doesn't appear in 55 games? Maybe look for the first contender whose closer falters or is injured?

I too am interested in the 2B situation. Can Murphy play the position at all? Did they find a hidden gem in Emaus? Does Havens finally have a healthy season and begin to break out, meaning these guys are keeping the spot warm?

Capuano/Young/Gee - How do they share the starts for the 4 & 5 spots due to injury/effectiveness? Do they get anything out of Santana this year?

Bay and Beltran - If both are healthy and can perform at a high percentage of their norm the offense could be fun. Also, if they do, that outs less pressure on Ike to carry the load (Wright too)

Reyes - Yes probably the biggest story of the year. He's healthy, he's playing for a contract. I expect big things.

Comment

Official 2011 NY Mets Spring Training Thread

Didn't see one so I figured I would start it. Discuss all things spring training here. The first thing will be a LOL. Hearing David wright discuss Terry Collins face changing colors, and his voice getting louder. Classic. I cant wait to see Collins go nuts this year.
              unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
              unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
              unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

So far it's all good. Everyone's healthy, looking great, ready to have great seasons!

Comment

It's pre-season

And Luis Castillo is starting at second base.

Why are they even looking at him? He's a clubhouse cancer who needs to go.

Comment

I agree but here is the problem:

The franchise is financially screwed right now, so much so they borrowed 25 million......do you really think they are going to release anyone and pay them not to play?

If they have to pay Castillo and Ollie to work at the Shake Shack they will, but they are not releasing them.

Comment

Last year of contracts, they're paying them whether they play or not.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
                        And Luis Castillo is starting at second base.

Why are they even looking at him? He's a clubhouse cancer who needs to go.
                        Odd but the players don't seem to think he's a cancer. Seems more like a thing fans hang their hats on to help feed their hate of the guy. I just don't think he's any good any more and hope they cut ties and go with someone younger.

Comment

Originally posted by metfan13 View Post
                          Odd but the players don't seem to think he's a cancer. Seems more like a thing fans hang their hats on to help feed their hate of the guy. I just don't think he's any good any more and hope they cut ties and go with someone younger.
                          I agree, I don't hate Castillo, he's played hard in his time in NY, and to hate him over one dropped fly in a mid-season game--even if it wAS against the Yankees--is absurd.

But he's washed up, too old and too slow to be the fast-paced palyer he once was, and with Thole, Ike, Reyes, and Wright, that's a young infield with the potential to be a GOOD infield besides...

It's time to get that young 2B we need to complete that infield!
                          "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

I have no problem with Castillo the person....i'm sure he's not a bad guy and the cancer stuff is way overblown (as it usually is with these situations)........I do however have a big problem with Castillo the player....who is one of the worst 2nd baseman in the league, both offensively and defensively. But hey, it's not his fault that he signed the contract he did. I have no ill will towards him personally.....it was our moron management who thought 4 years for a declining 2nd baseman with cranky knees and the extra base hit power of a little leaguer was a good investment.
                            "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Comment

Originally posted by m8644 View Post
                              I have no problem with Castillo the person....i'm sure he's not a bad guy and the cancer stuff is way overblown (as it usually is with these situations)........I do however have a big problem with Castillo the player....who is one of the worst 2nd baseman in the league, both offensively and defensively. But hey, it's not his fault that he signed the contract he did. I have no ill will towards him personally.....it was our moron management who thought 4 years for a declining 2nd baseman with cranky knees and the extra base hit power of a little leaguer was a good investment.
                              I'll agree to that.
                              "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X