Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thank you Omar.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    I wonder how many of Omar's draft picks would still be wearing Met uniforms if he hung around long enough to have a chance to trade them for that never ending one missing piece? We will never know. What we do know is Alderson and Collins have the Mets in a World Series for the 1st time in almost 15 years. That is a fact.

    Comment


    • #77
      Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
      I wonder how many of Omar's draft picks would still be wearing Met uniforms if he hung around long enough to have a chance to trade them for that never ending one missing piece? We will never know. What we do know is Alderson and Collins have the Mets in a World Series for the 1st time in almost 15 years. That is a fact.
      Hard to tell what Omar would have done. Omar made some good moves on the surface that didnt turn out well: for instance - February 2, 2008 traded Carlos Gomez, Kevin Mulvey, Deolis Guerra and Philip Humber to the Minnesota Twins for Johan Santana. Santana ended up being a bad contract for the Mets and Gomez became a star. If you use 20/20 hindsight no it wasnt a good trade but at the time I know I loved the trade so I wont kill Omar on it. He didnt hurt Johans arm.

      The place where Omar would have fell short is dealing with the shoestring budget. Omar was in a position to outspend his mistakes whereas the current regime hasnt been allowed to do that. So maybe he panics like we all did on this forum and look to trade a young arm for a bat. Alderson didnt (yet), and it worked out well in 2015. Omar may have traded Noah for a stick. No way of knowing but Omar always seemed to make the popular move which with payroll budget seemed much easier to do.

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
        Hard to tell what Omar would have done. Omar made some good moves on the surface that didnt turn out well: for instance - February 2, 2008 traded Carlos Gomez, Kevin Mulvey, Deolis Guerra and Philip Humber to the Minnesota Twins for Johan Santana. Santana ended up being a bad contract for the Mets and Gomez became a star. If you use 20/20 hindsight no it wasnt a good trade but at the time I know I loved the trade so I wont kill Omar on it. He didnt hurt Johans arm.

        The place where Omar would have fell short is dealing with the shoestring budget. Omar was in a position to outspend his mistakes whereas the current regime hasnt been allowed to do that. So maybe he panics like we all did on this forum and look to trade a young arm for a bat. Alderson didnt (yet), and it worked out well in 2015. Omar may have traded Noah for a stick. No way of knowing but Omar always seemed to make the popular move which with payroll budget seemed much easier to do.
        We should expect professionals not to "Panic" . Alderson was criticized often for doing nothing when in hindsight doing nothing was the best thing to do. Anyway, I think the proof is in the product and right now Alderson's decisions have put the Mets in the World Series. There will always be people who for whatever reason cannot admit fault or give credit where credit is due but I would hope the enjoyment of watching their favorite team playing in the World Series should ease their pain for being wrong. Maybe, maybe not!!

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
          We should expect professionals not to "Panic" . Alderson was criticized often for doing nothing when in hindsight doing nothing was the best thing to do. Anyway, I think the proof is in the product and right now Alderson's decisions have put the Mets in the World Series. There will always be people who for whatever reason cannot admit fault or give credit where credit is due but I would hope the enjoyment of watching their favorite team playing in the World Series should ease their pain for being wrong. Maybe, maybe not!!
          I know I thought no way this team was making the playoffs on that day when Mayberry/Campbell were in the middle of the order against Kershaw.

          Personally I couldnt be more happy to be dead wrong.

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
            I know I thought no way this team was making the playoffs on that day when Mayberry/Campbell were in the middle of the order against Kershaw.

            Personally I couldnt be more happy to be dead wrong.
            In 1973 the NY Post had a poll for fans to write in and vote : Who should Mets fire: Yogi, Mgr, Bob Scheffing GM, and who ever else they had listed. The rivalDaily News and other NY papers said it was a disgrace to do that.. Of course, no polls were taken when they made it to game 7 in 1973.

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
              I know I thought no way this team was making the playoffs on that day when Mayberry/Campbell were in the middle of the order against Kershaw.

              Personally I couldnt be more happy to be dead wrong.
              You weren't wrong.... they would have never even been above .500 with out the acquisitions of Uribe, Johnson and of course Cespedes. Bringing up a talented bat such as Comforto helped also. Aldy finally got off his ass and did something, and thankfully he got shove into action by ownership when he was hesitating to get Cespedes; who is the cornerstone of this current potent offense. Even during his slumps his mere presence improves the hittable pitchers the other batters get. Before those acquisitions the sentiment was not that we needed 1 bat but like 2-3 to fill all the automatic outs in the lineup that is how horrible the opening day lineup was, even with Wright in it.
              :lightbulb:Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

              Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
              Thanks Sandy Alderson.

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by trepye View Post
                You weren't wrong.... they would have never even been above .500 with out the acquisitions of Uribe, Johnson and of course Cespedes. Bringing up a talented bat such as Comforto helped also. Aldy finally got off his ass and did something, and thankfully he got shove into action by ownership when he was hesitating to get Cespedes; who is the cornerstone of this current potent offense. Even during his slumps his mere presence improves the hittable pitchers the other batters get. Before those acquisitions the sentiment was not that we needed 1 bat but like 2-3 to fill all the automatic outs in the lineup that is how horrible the opening day lineup was, even with Wright in it.

                I went to see the Mets and Dodgers July 24th. The Mets got drubbed 7-2 and were 49-48. They then won 4 of 6 to stand at 53-50, 2 games out behind a sinking Washington team at the trade deadline. With the new hitting AND the starting pitching kicked in, the Mets were 63-52 by 8/13 and were 4.5 games up; the Nationals were done.

                The Mets were going to win the division anyway ; the Nats tanked to 83-79 . We know the East sucked but in a short series anything can happen. They did not have the guns to outlast the Cards, Pirates, and Cubs over 162 games, but they only needed to play one of those 3 and in my opinion, they got the Cubs. The team I was afraid of the Mets playing was the Pirates. The Pirates swept the Mets all season , and unlike the Cubs, came into Citi AFTER the trade deadline in mid August and swept the Mets. (Aug 14-16). The Nats were also swept that weekend sealing their doom.

                The Mets got a good draw in the playoffs, and the Pirates and their 98 win team got the short straw. Them's the breaks. The Reds with 99 wins in '73 lost to the 82 win Mets, and the 95 win Dodgers and 88 win Giants got to watch the Mets in the WS then. Sometimes it works that way, and sometimes it's 1985 and the Mets get screwed. If they had a wild card, the Mets would have been in the post season 1984-1991 and could have been a true dynasty in the post season. It didn't happen, but in 2015 it can happen.

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by trepye View Post
                  You weren't wrong.... they would have never even been above .500 with out the acquisitions of Uribe, Johnson and of course Cespedes. Bringing up a talented bat such as Comforto helped also. Aldy finally got off his ass and did something, and thankfully he got shove into action by ownership when he was hesitating to get Cespedes; who is the cornerstone of this current potent offense. Even during his slumps his mere presence improves the hittable pitchers the other batters get. Before those acquisitions the sentiment was not that we needed 1 bat but like 2-3 to fill all the automatic outs in the lineup that is how horrible the opening day lineup was, even with Wright in it.
                  Those three bats definitely helped, especially Cespedes. Wright coming back was also a nice addition. But I believe it is the pitching that ultimately got them in and have allowed them to go far. Alderson is the guy who was able to get the necessary hitting without giving away the pitching. Pauly is right. We all would have given up at least 1 of the 4 pitchers currently scheduled to start in the WS for the hitting we picked up. He was patient and able to wait out others to get deals done. If he couldn't get what he wanted on his terms, he walked. He might be a prick but his job is to Make the Mets better, not to make friends at the GM meetings or with Scott Boras. I think he deserves credit. To say he was "lucky" is silly. This teams success is proof.

                  Now I am going to shut up and enjoy the series. Mets in 6!!

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Right now, the Mets are pitching well, and so it is understandable to say the pitching got the Mets to where they are. Certainly in the playoffs that is true. But I think there is a bit of rewriting history. Before the trades, the offense was putrid, and winning games was difficult even with great pitching. I think everyone is forgetting, a bit, how this team won in the last two months. They slugged their way to the title, and there were plenty of games where they needed to do that because they did not always get the same kind of starting pitching we are seeing now.

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by EasilyFound View Post
                      Right now, the Mets are pitching well, and so it is understandable to say the pitching got the Mets to where they are. Certainly in the playoffs that is true. But I think there is a bit of rewriting history. Before the trades, the offense was putrid, and winning games was difficult even with great pitching. I think everyone is forgetting, a bit, how this team won in the last two months. They slugged their way to the title, and there were plenty of games where they needed to do that because they did not always get the same kind of starting pitching we are seeing now.
                      Exactly right. The Mets pitching for a while was not pitching well and the offense was actually carrying the team.

                      Now "they" are saying that the Mets are going to have to pitch well to win - which is always true, but they are going to have to score and score early to win this series to not make the Royals bullpen a factor. There is as much pressure on the offense to score early as there is on the pitching to pitch well.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                        Exactly right. The Mets pitching for a while was not pitching well and the offense was actually carrying the team.

                        Now "they" are saying that the Mets are going to have to pitch well to win - which is always true, but they are going to have to score and score early to win this series to not make the Royals bullpen a factor. There is as much pressure on the offense to score early as there is on the pitching to pitch well.
                        Yes, playoff caliber teams need to pick each other up at times during the season. The Mets have gotten through the playoffs thus far on the strength of their pitching. They may have to win a 8-7 game this series, and we have seen during the season they have the ability to do so.

                        Comment

                        Ad Widget

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X