Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remembering the Mets 1962 Spring Training

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Remembering the Mets 1962 Spring Training

    An essay in the Times on the Mets first spring training:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/20/sp...pagewanted=all
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

  • #2
    What a terrific article. A really fun read. :cap:
    Put it in the books.

    Comment


    • #3
      Mets 1962 spring training

      The Times has a nice article on the first spring training game in team history in 1962. A fan named Marc Gold recorded Howard Cosell and Lindsey Nelson from Al Lang Field in St. Petersburg, Florida. There is a clip of an interview of Gil Hodges.

      http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/10/sp...rst-steps.html
      The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

      Comment


      • #4
        I hope the entire broadcast was recorded, and still survives - and I hope it will be made available to the public at some point.
        X
        What's THAT guy doing?
        - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
          I hope the entire broadcast was recorded, and still survives - and I hope it will be made available to the public at some point.
          I hope so too.I have an audio broadcast of the first regular season game in Mets history as the Cardinals won that game
          11-4 at St.Louis.I hope when the Mets celebrate their 50th anniversary this year their intent isn't to try to duplicate the
          results of the 1962 team.
          "You don't give up any runs,we'll guarantee you
          at least a tie." ~ Grote to Koosman

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Joe Rigatoni View Post
            I hope so too.I have an audio broadcast of the first regular season game in Mets history as the Cardinals won that game
            11-4 at St.Louis.I hope when the Mets celebrate their 50th anniversary this year their intent isn't to try to duplicate the
            results of the 1962 team.
            I have that broadcast too. For those of us who are familiar with that broadcast, it's strange to hear Lindsey Nelson say "the Mets are on the air in their first great season," the exact same words Bob Murphy said before that first game in April.

            It would be cool if the Mets gave out, or even sold, CDs of that first broadcast. There is precedent because they gave out CDs with the "Meet The Mets" theme, and in 2002 they gave out a CD with highlights from the first 40 years.
            X
            What's THAT guy doing?
            - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Joe Rigatoni View Post
              I hope so too.I have an audio broadcast of the first regular season game in Mets history as the Cardinals won that game 11-4 at St.Louis.
              I don't think I've thanked you, Joe, for letting me copy that broadcast for my own collection. Many thanks, sir.

              Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
              I have that broadcast too. For those of us who are familiar with that broadcast, it's strange to hear Lindsey Nelson say "the Mets are on the air in their first great season," the exact same words Bob Murphy said before that first game in April.

              It would be cool if the Mets gave out, or even sold, CDs of that first broadcast. There is precedent because they gave out CDs with the "Meet The Mets" theme, and in 2002 they gave out a CD with highlights from the first 40 years.
              I agree. It would definitely be better than four sides of two cassette tapes, and the sound quality would be much better. Btw, I still have that "Meet The Mets" CD. Unfortunately, though, I don't have the 2002 40-year highlights disc.
              Put it in the books.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                I don't have the 2002 40-year highlights disc.


                X
                What's THAT guy doing?
                - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post


                  Great lineup! I think I'll seek a copy.
                  Put it in the books.

                  Comment

                  Ad Widget

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X