Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Are the Mets Indifferent to Ther Own History?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawman
    replied
    Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
    2) The owner takes no pride in owning the Mets at all. The Mets mean nothing to him....let me rephrase...the Orange part of the Mets mean nothing. He loves the blue part because he really wants to own the Dodgers. It was an embarassment when The Morgue opened up in 2009 and it full of Dodger stuff. I still cant figure out why their is a Jackie Robinson rotunda. Why isnt their a Tom Seaver rotunda.....geez I would take an Ed Kranepool rotunda.

Its an utter emabarassment that a player that had nothing to do with Mets is honored in a Met park. Yes I know Robinsons significance, and I am not downplaying his place in history, but cmon. Why isnt their a Jonas Salk Rotunda? He never played for the Mets and had a big role in human history.
    Here we part company - I admire the Robinson Rotunda quite a bit and think it's one thing the Wilpons got 100% right. Simply put, Jackie Robinson's the most significant National League player in New York history, and one of the most important figures in the history of sport in this town, and nationally. I'm thrilled it's there and my kids can read those words - Jackie Robinson is my son's personal hero.

Now, I'd quibble with two design elements - the video screens are unnecessary and actually detract from the Robinson words and symbolism. They're pretty tacky. And that big 42 - which seemed like a good idea at the time - has quite frankly not worn well. It's also unnecessary.

BTW, cheering the Robinson Rotunda does not mean I thought there was enough Mets heritage in the park at first - there wasn't! Even now, they could do a bit more.

Leave a comment:

• Shea Knight
    replied
    Point #2 is spot on. (Short response, but that's what you get when you're right.)

Leave a comment:

• Shea Knight
    replied
    Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
    Why are they indifferent?

A couple of reasons:

1) Lets be honest they dont have a great history. Two WS wins in 50 years is just nothing to brag about. We can love them all we want but lets face it they are bacially a losing organization with a couple of bright moments.

Now for #2 and the bigger reason:

2) The owner takes no pride in owning the Mets at all. The Mets mean nothing to him....let me rephrase...the Orange part of the Mets mean nothing. He loves the blue part because he really wants to own the Dodgers. It was an embarassment when The Morgue opened up in 2009 and it full of Dodger stuff. I still cant figure out why their is a Jackie Robinson rotunda. Why isnt their a Tom Seaver rotunda.....geez I would take an Ed Kranepool rotunda.

Its an utter emabarassment that a player that had nothing to do with Mets is honored in a Met park. Yes I know Robinsons significance, and I am not downplaying his place in history, but cmon. Why isnt their a Jonas Salk Rotunda? He never played for the Mets and had a big role in human history.

Unfortunately the 50th anniversary is taking place with this low-life criminal as the owner. We as fans are going to look back at this point time as one of the - maybe THEE - worst time in Met history.

Expecting Wilpon to celebrate anything Mets was like asking Muammar Gaddafi to celebrate Chanukah.
    Point #1 I disagree with...

The Mets aren't the Yankees or Red Sox or Dodgers or anything, but I think they have a pretty good history, especially as an expansion team; again, they're easily the most important of the expansion teams, the one that's had the most impact on baseball...only really the Blue Jays or so can rival that a bit, and that's partially due to their taking MLB into Canada (I know the Expos came first, but they're gone now, so can't list them, plus, Canada+2 WS titles=Blue Jays win out over them even if they were still "alive.)

In terms of their overall record...yes, overall, losers...

But I guess they've had more significance and prominence and more memorable games and players and moments than many other teams, and all other expansion teams.

They only have 2 WS titles, but BOTH are considered two of MLB's most memorable, the Miracle Mets in '69 and the brilliant 1986 team and all their legendary games in the postseason...

4 Pennants--those 2 WS titles, and then, they DID come close to winning another, taking the A's to 7 games in 1973, and 2000 was a Subway Series...they lost quickly, but hey, it's one more pennant adding up to more than other expansion teams have...

You can name Mets players easier and deeper down the line than with most other expansion teams--after Ken Griffey Jr., Jay Buhner, Randy Johnson, Edgar Martinez, and Ichiro, most baseball fans don't know many Mariners off the top of their heads...

But everyone's heard of:
    Tom Seaver
    Gil Hodges
    Casey Stengel (yeah, he's remembered mainly as a Yankee, but we retired his #, so it seems fair to count him)
    Gary Carter
    Keith Hernandez
    Darryl Strawberry
    Dwight Gooden
    Mookie Wilson (though in fairness, again, maybe an * here, for as much as I love Mookie, most probaby know him just because of the Buckner Call by Vin Scully)
    Mike Piazza
    Jose Reyes
    Carlos Beltran
    David Wright

And so on...you can keep going, because, while the Mets have had some rough, rough patches, and an overall losing record...when they're good, they make it MEMORABLE, they make an IMPACT on MLB history.

Look at all the great moments in Mets history, or even just the memorable moments, that fans would be able to recall...

The innagural 1962 season, and just how lovable bad they were, Charlie Brown's team incarnate...
    The aforementioned 1969 campaign and win in Shea Stadium...
    The 1973 pennant...
    The 1984 season with Dwight Gooden...
    Game 6 of first the NLCS, then the World Series in 1986, both classics that will be long remembered...
    Winning the 1986 WS...
    The 1988 NLCS (albeit for sad reasons for Mets fans)...
    The 1999 series with the Braves and The Grand Single...
    The Subway Series with the Yankees in 2000...
    Piazza's 9/11 HR in 2001...
    The 2006 regular season, and sending the most amount of All-Stars of any team...
    Endy's Catch in Game 7...and Game 7 itself (again, though, sad for Mets fans)...

The Mets have more moments spring to mind for the average baseball fan than any other expansion team...

And not to mention in comparison to some Original 16 teams (like, say, the Cleveland Indians--good players, but want to bet a regular MLB fan, not of either Mets or Indians affiliation, would be able to name more memorable Mets players and teams than he could do for the Indians?)

So, I wouldn't say the Mets have had a bad history at all...I know what you mean, Pauly, with the record, but still--

4 pennants, 2 WS titles, and a host of memorable moments, legendary games, and some of the most memorable names in baseball for the 1960s, 1980s, late 1990s-early 2000s, and into 2012 (well, to be fair, until about 2009, anyway.)

The Mets aren't a first-tier franchise, not in the top 10...

But they're easily in the Top 20...which is pretty good, considering all the teams you'd have to put in front of them, the Crown Jewel Six, the A's and their many titles...the Braves and Phillies...the Orioles and Reds and so on...

The Mets are about on par with the Reds and Orioles prestige-wise, I'd say, give or take...or at least somewhere between the Orioles and the Mariners.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Why are they indifferent?

A couple of reasons:

1) Lets be honest they dont have a great history. Two WS wins in 50 years is just nothing to brag about. We can love them all we want but lets face it they are bacially a losing organization with a couple of bright moments.

Now for #2 and the bigger reason:

Unfortunately the 50th anniversary is taking place with this low-life criminal as the owner. We as fans are going to look back at this point time as one of the - maybe THEE - worst time in Met history.

Expecting Wilpon to celebrate anything Mets was like asking Muammar Gaddafi to celebrate Chanukah.

Leave a comment:

• PVNICK
    replied
    Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
    It really isnt blue.
    I thought that was clear from my post. I guess sarcasm does not traslate that well or I write obtusely.

Leave a comment:

• theAmazingMet
    replied
    Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
    um er why now? Not that it isn't true, but it must be a slow news day. Next up newsflash the sky really isn't blue.
    It really isnt blue.

Leave a comment:

• PVNICK
    replied
    um er why now? Not that it isn't true, but it must be a slow news day. Next up newsflash the sky really isn't blue.

Leave a comment:

• Shea Knight
    replied
    Because we have the worst owner in the National League...

The Astros, the damn ASTROS are making a bigger deal of their 5oth than the Mets are...at least they're acknowledging it a bit!

We're the best, the most notable "expansion" team in history...a NY team...

And it's come to this.

I hate the Wilpons...GLAD the burden of proof in their case has been ruled to be on THEM--

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/15/sp...ore-fraud.html

If we have one win to root for, it's for the legal team opposing Wilpon! Take him down, and force him to sell the damn team!

Leave a comment:

• JPS
    started a topic Why Are the Mets Indifferent to Ther Own History?

Why Are the Mets Indifferent to Ther Own History?

http://voices.yahoo.com/why-mets-ind...04.html?cat=14
    Last edited by JPS; 03-14-2012, 10:39 PM.

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X