John Niese -- 5 yrs @ $25 million?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Niese -- 5 yrs @ $25 million?

Really? Maybe the nose job will improve his performance? Not sure this makes sense.

This is such a friggin' joke! Not only is signing a pitcher for five years ridiculous, but paying Jon Niese as if he's a main cog on a winning team is way out of line. Now, not that I'm wishing injury on him, but frankly, an injury-riddled five years would most likely be the only way to hit the hammer on the nail that's meant for the Wilpons' foreheads.

Jesuit Priest. This is just disgusting. :disgruntled:
    Put it in the books.

Comment

Locking up your best pitcher for 5 years at $5mm per bothers you?

Comment

If Neise progresses this is a good signing. 5 Million for a SP in todays game is a bargain.
        unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
        unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
        unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Originally posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
          Hes not our best pitcher, but he is the only one currently on the staff who has the highest ceiling.
          unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
          unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
          unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

It is a lot of money to us ! But Santana is making that money in one year, not five. It is not a Jason Bay signing, which could be the worst ever (well, next to Ollie) in franchise history.

Comment

Whether or not Niese performs, this is a very smart move on the part of the Mets. It shows that that are willing to rebuild and spend some money. Say what you will about Niese, but the guy has a lot of talent and if this does work out, it will be nice to see some home grown pitching stars.

Comment

Makes no sense at all to pay Niese $25M - nice pitcher, 4th starter. Alderson seems to be schizophrenic.
                Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
                  Makes no sense at all to pay Niese $25M - nice pitcher, 4th starter. Alderson seems to be schizophrenic.
                  He's a mid-rotation pitcher with upside. The money isn't anything to scoff at, but it isn't a lot at all in baseball reality. 4th starter? No, he isn't at all. He's improved his peripherals substantially and his rate statistics have been steadily improving as well. More strikeouts, less walks, more groundballs, but a bloated ERA. If you look solely at ERA than you are the schizophrenic one.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                    This is such a friggin' joke! Not only is signing a pitcher for five years ridiculous, but paying Jon Niese as if he's a main cog on a winning team is way out of line. Now, not that I'm wishing injury on him, but frankly, an injury-riddled five years would most likely be the only way to hit the hammer on the nail that's meant for the Wilpons' foreheads.

Jesuit Priest. This is just disgusting. :disgruntled:
                    Except Niese is the best pitcher on the team and has steadily improved yearly -- to the point where his peripheral statistics have been around top-of-the-rotation tier. This isn't a joke, but it's a bargain for a good player. If this were Pelfrey, though.....I would have to agree.

Comment

I like the signing, it's not an unreasonable amount of money to lock up a decent young pitcher.

So not a bad signing (UNLIKE Pagan for Torres/Ramirez, Torres has just left the game with another leg injury--surprise! An injured Mets outfielder...WHAT are the odds?)

SIGH.............
                      "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Originally posted by CokeMachineGlow View Post
                        He's a mid-rotation pitcher with upside. The money isn't anything to scoff at, but it isn't a lot at all in baseball reality. 4th starter? No, he isn't at all. He's improved his peripherals substantially and his rate statistics have been steadily improving as well. More strikeouts, less walks, more groundballs, but a bloated ERA. If you look solely at ERA than you are the schizophrenic one.
                        Do I recall correctly that Niese led the NL or maybe even MLB in being the unluckiest pitcher? Or am I thinking of some other pitcher? Help me out, please.

Comment

Originally posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
                          Originally posted by CokeMachineGlow View Post
                          Except Niese is the best pitcher on the team and has steadily improved yearly -- to the point where his peripheral statistics have been around top-of-the-rotation tier. This isn't a joke, but it's a bargain for a good player. If this were Pelfrey, though.....I would have to agree.
                          Wow, two people who actually think Niese is the Mets best pitcher. Fascinating. Besides, I don't believe in signing pitchers for more than three years tops. Two at a time is appropriate, imo.

And Pelfrey shouldn't even be in the 2012 equation. Again mho.

Originally posted by EasilyFound View Post
                          Do I recall correctly that Niese led the NL or maybe even MLB in being the unluckiest pitcher? Or am I thinking of some other pitcher? Help me out, please.
                          Exactly. Give that kind of money to R.A. Dickey.

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
                          Thank you.

I would've MUCH rather have picked up a competent centerfielder than pay a third-string starter that kind of money. We NEED a centerfielder.

I still think this contract is ridiculous. For twice the money we could've kept Reyes. ...and it would've been worth it.
                          Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by EasilyFound View Post
                            Don't even have a clue about what you're talking about. Great job dancing around the post and posting something extremely irrelevant.

Comment

Wow, two people who actually think Niese is the Mets best pitcher. Fascinating. Besides, I don't believe in signing pitchers for more than three years tops. Two at a time is appropriate, imo.

And Pelfrey shouldn't even be in the 2012 equation. Again mho.
                              I was talking about last year. Santana is better at the moment, but he won't be in a year or two. I don't get the posters on this board -- I write out a post that concisely shows why Niese deserved that money, and everybody just beats around the bush and doesn't fully refute my arguments. I'm not gonna take you seriously if you respond to my post with - "Wow, two people who actually think Niese is the best pitcher. Fascinating."

Wow, two people respond to my posts with non-existent arguments. Fascinating.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X