RA Dickey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
    Was that just one article or more than one that tried to portray Dickey as an attention hound that was not popular in the clubhouse?

In retrospect Wright is the outlier. Otherwise they have been dumping for years: cut Castillo, trade: Beltran, K-Rod and Dickey, not even bother to negotiate with Reyes.

As far as OF, hopefully Nimmo and i think there is one other, pans out. However, it is a foolish strategy to have two OF in the system and need 100% of them to come through.

I still do not for the life of me get the woe is me attitude here. The team wasn't going anywhere. Maybe they could have signed Hamilton, Bourne and someone else but that wasn't happening. This team was going to at best be what the last few were, @500 in late July then out of it before school is back in session. Wouldn't it be better to take back three or four players, at least one of whom is highly thought of at a position of need.
    Exactly, and besides we signed Dickey off the scrap heap. If not for the Mets he would probably be out of baseball. Considering what we paid to get him, this is a significant haul.
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

• Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
      Was that just one article or more than one that tried to portray Dickey as an attention hound that was not popular in the clubhouse?

In retrospect Wright is the outlier. Otherwise they have been dumping for years: cut Castillo, trade: Beltran, K-Rod and Dickey, not even bother to negotiate with Reyes.

As far as OF, hopefully Nimmo and i think there is one other, pans out. However, it is a foolish strategy to have two OF in the system and need 100% of them to come through.

I still do not for the life of me get the woe is me attitude here. The team wasn't going anywhere. Maybe they could have signed Hamilton, Bourne and someone else but that wasn't happening. This team was going to at best be what the last few were, @500 in late July then out of it before school is back in session. Wouldn't it be better to take back three or four players, at least one of whom is highly thought of at a position of need.
      I agree. With the Mets going nowhere for the forseeable future trading Dickey isnt the end all. Although I still dont understand hanging on to Wright, but thats another subject.

Comment

• Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
        ...we signed Dickey off the scrap heap. If not for the Mets he would probably be out of baseball. Considering what we paid to get him, this is a significant haul.
        Can't disagree with that. However, considering what the team got out of him for the past three seasons, only time will tell if this was a good or bad deal.

I also kinda wish Gose had been a part of it.
        Put it in the books.

Comment

• Originally posted by milladrive View Post
          Can't disagree with that. However, considering what the team got out of him for the past three seasons, only time will tell if this was a good or bad deal.

I also kinda wish Gose had been a part of it.
          Yes only time will tell if its a good or bad deal. I also cannot rule out the possibility that one of the Mets young arms will be dealt for a outfielder. It is obvious this team is rebuilding and if you were not happy with that philosophy this deal does nothing to make you to feel good. For what it's worth, most baseball experts feel the Mets made a killing in this deal.

Comment

• I posted this elsewhere, but it bears repeating here. If nothing else, the immediate reaction to this deal may be a substantial decrease in 2013 attendance. In many eyes, including mine, that can't be a bad thing.

Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
            Yes only time will tell if its a good or bad deal. I also cannot rule out the possibility that one of the Mets young arms will be dealt for a outfielder. It is obvious this team is rebuilding and if you were not happy with that philosophy this deal does nothing to make you to feel good. For what it's worth, most baseball experts feel the Mets made a killing in this deal.
            Interesting article by Paul Lebowitz on the deal...

http://paullebowitz.com/blog/?p=7052
            Put it in the books.

Comment

• Until we see something proven from this deal in terms of gain, I'm very skeptical.

I would've taken less prospects/lesser grade prospects (which isn't to say garbage, he's rated #5, so almost anything, even decent, mid-range prospects are "lesser" in comparison, after all) and a proven OF player, SOMETHING to at least know and have the sense this wasn't all a gamble on a couple of big, big question marks, again, one who's already been injured twice and is a catcher, so may wear out fast.
              "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

• Well its official, whether you like it or not;

http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/stor...6pLid%3D246771

Comment

• Dickey, Thole, Nickeas for d'Arnaud, Syndergaard, C Buck and OF Becerra
                  ------------
                  I have been to:

Citi Field, Shea, NYS, RYS, PNC, Fenway, AT&T, CBP, Rangers Ballpark, Minute Maid Park, Wrigley, Dodger Stadium, Angel Stadium of Anaheim, PETCO Park, Coors, Chase Field, Turner, Miami, [email protected], U.S.F., Comerica, Nationals Park, GABP, Progressive, Trop, Miller, Oakland-A C., Dolphin, RFK, Olympic Stadium, Metrodome

Comment

• Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
                    Until we see something proven from this deal in terms of gain, I'm very skeptical.

I would've taken less prospects/lesser grade prospects (which isn't to say garbage, he's rated #5, so almost anything, even decent, mid-range prospects are "lesser" in comparison, after all) and a proven OF player, SOMETHING to at least know and have the sense this wasn't all a gamble on a couple of big, big question marks, again, one who's already been injured twice and is a catcher, so may wear out fast.
                    I understand what you are saying but are there really any guarantees with anything the Mets have ever done? Is a knuckleball pitcher a guarantee? The Mets need to assemble organization wide talent. It allows you to make other trades and gives you options. The Mets had very few options to try to get better and this deal gives them a chance to have a dominate catcher and the ability to trade young pitchers if the another deal becomes available. Ask Miami about guarantees, that was only a year ago.

Comment

• http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1222186
                      R.A. Dickey passes physical in Toronto, deal that sends Cy Young winner from NY Mets to Blue Jays is official

In the trade, the Mets receive one of the best catching prospects in baseball, 23-year-old Travis d’Arnaud, and the Blue Jays’ top pitching prospect, Noah Syndergaard in addition to veteran catcher John Buck. Catchers Josh Thole and Mike Nickeas are headed to Toronto, and minor league outfielder Wuilmer Becarra joins the Mets’ system.

A person with knowledge of Dickey’s agreement with Toronto said that he received a two-year, $25 million contract extension, for a guarantee of $30 million over three years. The source said that the Blue Jays hold a $12 million club option for 2016.

Comment

• I really don't think it's that bad a deal after seeing how it plays out. Nickeas and Thole were basically dead weight (watch as Thole blossoms finally now that he's away from New York). Buck has power and has been an All-Star in the past, D'Arnaud's a top prospect and Syndegaard has the potential to be a very good prospect. Talk about selling high.
                        Last edited by Cowtipper; 12-19-2012, 04:08 PM.

Comment

• I will miss R.A. Dickey.
                          The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                            I will miss R.A. Dickey.
                            I think we all will.

Comment

• Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
                              I think we all will.
                              I shall respond with an attempt at a meme:

nice.png
                              The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• I *loved* Dickey, and though that Ken Davidoff's recent column in the Post painting him as a me-firster was a disgrace.

That said, I think the trade is in keeping with what has brought the Mets into past upcycles: getting good *young* pitching.
                                Sure, we don't know how Wheeler or Syndegaard are going to pan out yet, or if Harvey will sustain his success.
                                Yet it's reminiscent of when Darling, Terrell, and Fernandez were obtained.

Joe Rigatoni...what do you say?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X