No announcement yet.

RA Dickey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imagine he throws a no hitter vs the yank$? That would more than make up for the sweep last weekend.
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

A Cy Young for Dickey--Dare We Dream?

10-1, best record in the NL, and tied for most wins in MLB...

4th in the NL in strikeouts with 90...

3rd in the NL in ERA with a 2.20 line...

2nd in the NL in WHIP with a fantastic 0.84...

Just set the Mets' record for consecutive scoreless innings...

And just had a *one-hitter to boot...

Think he has a shot?

I think he does, but ONLY if the Mets make the playoffs, as if they do, he'll score some big points in that "Means the Most to His Team" category, because without R.A. Dickey, the Mets aren't even close to being close to being in this at all.
      "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
        As much as would like to see RA get credited with a no no - if you get it that way its somehow tainted. You want it on the field, you dont want it via appeal. My opinion.

If they do that they open up a can of worms that probably isnt worth it. What about Galarraga in 2010 - pitched a perfect game and was robbed on a hideous call by the ump?
        Yes, but these are two different entities. One was due to a poor umpiring call and the other the official scorer's ruling. The official scorer's ruling can be changed, like you mentioned Pauly, let the sleeping dog lie, don't open up a can of worms that will be calling for many official scorers to change their rulings. We already know that should have been a no-hitter just like how Santana's game should not have been a no-hitter, but ruling stands. But what kills me is that it COULD HAVE been a potentially had been a "Perfect Game" and the first of two in the same evening!

And yes like our buddy Milladrive, the Ray Knight fumbling and bumbling Keith Moreland's "squib" down the third base line was far more blatantly not a hit, yet that ruling stands. I know there has been many other clubs that have been in similar gripes, but I don't care about those other clubs but if Dickey's game becomes a no-hitter upon review be prepared for every no-hitter to have some point of official scoring reviewed by the MLB
        Fan of The NY Mets!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck The Mets Fan! View Post
          Yes, but these are two different entities. One was due to a poor umpiring call and the other the official scorer's ruling. The official scorer's ruling can be changed, like you mentioned Pauly, let the sleeping dog lie, don't open up a can of worms that will be calling for many official scorers to change their rulings. We already know that should have been a no-hitter just like how Santana's game should not have been a no-hitter, but ruling stands. But what kills me is that it COULD HAVE been a potentially had been a "Perfect Game" and the first of two in the same evening!

And yes like our buddy Milladrive, the Ray Knight fumbling and bumbling Keith Moreland's "squib" down the third base line was far more blatantly not a hit, yet that ruling stands. I know there has been many other clubs that have been in similar gripes, but I don't care about those other clubs but if Dickey's game becomes a no-hitter upon review be prepared for every no-hitter to have some point of official scoring reviewed by the MLB
          As far as Santana's no-hitter goes since Beltran's shot was called foul and then he eventually grounded out to third
          since Beltran grounded out and didn't get a hit if it's not acknowleged as a no-hitter then what is it? As far as the
          Galarraga perfect game bid goes since the ump's blown call resulted in a runner standing on first base unfortunately
          it can't be overturned to a perfect game because what about that runner standing on first base.And official scorings
          have been overturned in the past especially from a hit to an error and vica-versa.So as an eternal optimist why not
          hope the Mets win the appeal on the Dickey one-hitter.So as I mentioned in a previous post earlier on this thread that
          milladrive and I and some friends of ours from high school are having a celebratory dinner for
          Santana's no-hitter on Saturday July 28.So milladrive,as I mentioned before if the Mets win the appeal why not have a
          second celebratory dinner on Saturday August 18 when the Mets are on the road.Just a thought.
          Last edited by milladrive; 06-14-2012, 10:23 AM.
          "You don't give up any runs,we'll guarantee you
          at least a tie." ~ Grote to Koosman

Comment

The appeal has no chance - I'd say 9 out of 10 official scorers make the same call on that play. Yeah a marginal hit no doubt - and Wright coulda make the play - but would have been a very tough error.
            Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

All depends on the competition, methinks. Yeah, if you play out his stats he'd be deserving and in the mix.
              Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Rigatoni View Post
                So milladrive,as I mentioned before if the Mets win the appeal why not have a
                second celebratory dinner on Saturday August 18 when the Mets are on the road.Just a thought.
                I'd certainly not be against it. You know me, I look forward to any excuse to get together with the old gang.
                Put it in the books.

Comment

As per Cowtipper's post in Current Events, R.A. is currently #1 according to ESPN's Cy Predictor.
                  Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
                    10-1, best record in the NL, and tied for most wins in MLB...

4th in the NL in strikeouts with 90...

3rd in the NL in ERA with a 2.20 line...

2nd in the NL in WHIP with a fantastic 0.84...

Just set the Mets' record for consecutive scoreless innings...

And just had a *one-hitter to boot...

Think he has a shot?

I think he does, but ONLY if the Mets make the playoffs, as if they do, he'll score some big points in that "Means the Most to His Team" category, because without R.A. Dickey, the Mets aren't even close to being close to being in this at all.

Yes I think he has a shot.

I also dont think team placement matters for the Cy as much as the MVP does, so this is not really team placement dependant in my opinion. In my time of following baseball I dont remember a knuckeballer being on a roll like this. For the most part you get a start that looks like Cy Young and then one that looks like Egg Foo Young in the next start. RA is dominating right now.

He also throws it 10 MPH faster than most have on average. Its pretty amazing to watch.

If you have never seen a knuckleball up close being pitched to you -- its a sight to behold. On TV it looks like a watermelon, but in the batter box its crazy.

Comment

It is early, but he is clearly in the conversation at this point in the season.

He is projected to go 26-3 with a 0.94 WHIP and a 2.20 ERA. If he hits those numbers, he'll get the Cy Young. Assuming he doesn't, it will depend on what they look like and what everyone else does. Matt Cain, Lance Lynn, Brandon Beachy, Steven Strasburg and Gio Gonzalez, among others, are all off to great starts as well. a lot of time left to see how they all wind up.

Here is an interesting fact. Pull out Dickey's 1 loss, and here is his line:

12 starts, all quality starts, 10-0, 1.47 ERA, 0.88 WHIP

Of course, you can't pull that one start out, but shows how dominating he has really been

Comment

Can we get another RA Dickey thread? not sure that three are enough to measure his greatness
                        unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
                        unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
                        unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Chances are that all of us have scored a game at some point in our lives at some level. The game Wednesday night was a scorer's decision, not an umpire's call like with Santana's no-hitter, Gallaraga's perfect game, or even back to the '85 World Series. The scorer is a bit more prone to pressure from outside forces (are they still hired by the home team? in MLB?) and is a lot more fallible than we think. They also have the luxury of going back and re-evaluating things to overturn calls if needed. For others (usually Mets haters at this point) to drag Santana or Gallaraga into the discussion is not a valid comparison.
                          I did not watch the game live. i finally saw a replay last night and my jaw hit the floor with what I saw.
                          In my mind, if a fielder gets a hand/glove on the ball and can't even try to complete the play, it's an error. Wright had the ball in his hand, and dropped it. In my limited experience, that's an error.....and that's a no-hitter.
                          My gut feeling is that it won't be overturned. The rightness of it is plain: who cares who is running on the bases, it is a dropped ball. But if MLB overturns this call, they will face an absolute Crap-Storm from every team wanting something fixed (as you can see above, I'm convinced that STL fans were less whining about Santana than wanting '85 back). Either Torre is too cowardly to do this, or Bud will force the issue to force instant replay. Kinda sad that RA's the pawn in this game, as he's moved past the point of "should make the all-star game" to "should start the all star-game".

Comment

Originally posted by MattD1972 View Post
                            Chances are that all of us have scored a game at some point in our lives at some level. The game Wednesday night was a scorer's decision, not an umpire's call like with Santana's no-hitter, Gallaraga's perfect game, or even back to the '85 World Series. The scorer is a bit more prone to pressure from outside forces (are they still hired by the home team? in MLB?) and is a lot more fallible than we think. They also have the luxury of going back and re-evaluating things to overturn calls if needed. For others (usually Mets haters at this point) to drag Santana or Gallaraga into the discussion is not a valid comparison.
                            I did not watch the game live. i finally saw a replay last night and my jaw hit the floor with what I saw.
                            In my mind, if a fielder gets a hand/glove on the ball and can't even try to complete the play, it's an error. Wright had the ball in his hand, and dropped it. In my limited experience, that's an error.....and that's a no-hitter.
                            My gut feeling is that it won't be overturned. The rightness of it is plain: who cares who is running on the bases, it is a dropped ball. But if MLB overturns this call, they will face an absolute Crap-Storm from every team wanting something fixed (as you can see above, I'm convinced that STL fans were less whining about Santana than wanting '85 back). Either Torre is too cowardly to do this, or Bud will force the issue to force instant replay. Kinda sad that RA's the pawn in this game, as he's moved past the point of "should make the all-star game" to "should start the all star-game".
                            What do you mean you dont care who is running? That has to be taken into consideration. Now I agree with you that it was an error, but the baserunner has every bit to do with the scoring. First of all it affects how the defender plays the ball. Do you think Wright tries to barehand the ball if Bengie Molina is running? He tried to barehand the ball because of who was running -- he didnt need to in my opinion, but thats why he did it.

Comment

What do you mean you dont care who is running? That has to be taken into consideration. Now I agree with you that it was an error, but the baserunner has every bit to do with the scoring. First of all it affects how the defender plays the ball. Do you think Wright tries to barehand the ball if Bengie Molina is running? He tried to barehand the ball because of who was running -- he didnt need to in my opinion, but thats why he did it.
                              Yep - it was the speed of the runner. I'm not sure Wright gets him if he gloves it and throws to be honest. That's why 9/10 scorers will award a hit on that play every time. No way it's over-turned - and in fairness, it shouldn't be over-turned.

Comment

Originally posted by MattD1972 View Post
                                Actually, for a long time, it was solely up to the official scorer's discretion to go back and make the decision. These days (I forget when it began), the scoring appeal must be brought in front of a committee that makes the decision.

I mentioned this elsewhere, but I too felt it was an error at the time of the play, without even thinking about the next 25 outs. But you're right. If they were to overturn the call now, the fit would hit the shan. That's why not only do I feel they shouldn't reverse the call, but, as with you, my instinct says there's a 99.999% chance it won't be, nor, as Strawman said, should it be.

I tend to agree with that post, especially the highlighted parts.
                                Put it in the books.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X