No announcement yet.

RA Dickey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Mets appeal of the lone hit was denied, which we all knew would happen. Shoot, Wright coulda punted the ball into the backstop and they wouldn't have overturned the call.
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

It's the right call, I woulda liked to see him get a no-hitter but he even said it woulda been a cheap one. He didn't have to face the pressure of a real no-hitter since the hit occured in the first inning.
      "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
        It's the right call, I woulda liked to see him get a no-hitter but he even said it woulda been a cheap one. He didn't have to face the pressure of a real no-hitter since the hit occured in the first inning.
        Agreed. Even R.A. said the asterisk would've been bigger than the no-hitter itself. Frankly, I'm glad Torre made the right decision.
        Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
          Agreed. Even R.A. said the asterisk would've been bigger than the no-hitter itself.
          Not necessarily. Depends on the point size used.

No-Hitters Thrown By The New York Mets
          June 1, 2012 - Johan Santana
          June 13, 2012 - R.A. Dickey*

versus

No-Hitters Thrown By The New York Mets
          June 1, 2012 - Johan Santana
          June 13, 2012 - R.A. Dickey*
          X
          What's THAT guy doing?
          - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Call me nuts, but I haven't seen this level of pitching dominance from a Mets pitcher since Doc Gooden in 1985. He is simply amazing!

Comment

Even Doc didn't have this kind of stuff. Apples and oranges. Commanding a knuckler is something incredibly special. He may very well be arguably the best knuckleballer in history.
              Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
                Call me nuts, but I haven't seen this level of pitching dominance from a Mets pitcher since Doc Gooden in 1985. He is simply amazing!
                I think it'd be best to wait until the season's over to assess things. Gooden had a stretch from mid 1984 to early 1986 where he was 37-5 with a 1.39 ERA and better than a strikeout an inning. I'm thinking Dickey's really perfected the knuckleball, with the greater velocity giving it later break and better control. Still, a lot of its success traditionally relies on atmospheric conditions. We'll see how it goes. Even if his numbers regress to where they've been the last two years he's still great.

I wonder how Dickey stacks up to great knuckleballers I never saw, like Eddie Cicotte, Hoyt Wilhelm (2 ERA titles) and Wilbur Wood at his peak (74 BB in 376.2 innings in 1972). Right now Dickey's probably the best knuckleball pitcher of the last 30 years.

Gooden and Dickey is apples and oranges Milladrive. It's like comparing hitters being blown away by a typhoon to hitters acting like their drinks were spiked.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                  Even Doc didn't have this kind of stuff. Apples and oranges. Commanding a knuckler is something incredibly special. He may very well be arguably the best knuckleballer in history.
                  Along with Wilhelm, a couple of guys named Niekro might have something to say there.

Comment

I think people are confusing "level of dominance" with pitching style. Nowhere did I say that Dickey and Gooden had similar styles. I was comparing pure statistics, and the latest says that only one other pitcher has pitched back to back one hitters in 72 years. So maybe I'm wrong, maybe Dickey's performance transcends Gooden's in 1985. I realize the seasons not over, but I'm talking about this particular stretch, and during it Dickey is by far the best starter in MLB, and if he keeps it up he will surely break the 20 win barrier for our first since 1990, and will challange for the Cy Young. Not bad for a "washed up" (3 years ago) 37 year old knuckleballer.
                    Last edited by theAmazingMet; 06-19-2012, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by VIBaseball View Post
                      Along with Wilhelm, a couple of guys named Niekro might have something to say there.
                      Some would say Eddie Chicotte was the best, and I would have to agree with them.

Comment

I do agree Dickey's knuckler is the best I have seen. Niekro included. Why? Because its 80+ mph. I am not saying he will have Niekro's career.

Now we also have to temper expectations, and lets not compare him to Gooden just yet. He is on a great run, and right now is the best pitcher in the game thus far in 2012....Not that I would take him over Verlander/Kershaw, but as of today no one has been better..regardless of knuckleballer or 101 mph fastball.

The great thing about Dickey is that he gives me a reason to look forward to him pitching. For me that hasnt happened since Gooden was firing 96mph letter high fastballs, then dropping a 12-6 curve on someone. I never "looked forward" to Leiter, Hampton, Johan, you name him. Personally I love the offense, I love homers, so for me to want to watch a pitcher is going some. Dickey right now is that guy. Also watching the knuckler dance and dive is a lot of fun.
                        Last edited by Paulypal; 06-19-2012, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                          I do agree Dickey's knuckler is the best I have seen. Niekro included. Why? Because its 80+ mph. I am not saying he will have Niekro's career.

Now we also have to temper expectations, and lets not compare him to Gooden just yet. He is on a great run, and right now is the best pitcher in the game thus far in 2012....Not that I would take him over Verlander/Kershaw, but as of today no one has been better..regardless of knuckleballer or 101 mph fastball.

The great thing about Dickey is that he gives me a reason to look forward to him pitching. For me that hasnt happened since Gooden was firing 96mph letter high fastballs, then dropping a 12-6 curve on someone. I never "looked forward" to Leiter, Hampton, Johan, you name him. Personally I love the offense, I love homers, so for me to want to watch a pitcher is going some. Dickey right now is that guy. Also watching the knuckler dance and dive is a lot of fun.
                          I agree with what you said. I am just enjoying the ride. Love the control of the 'hard' knuckler...love that he is tied with Verlander for the mlb lead in strikeouts...that blows my mind. And it is cool that he is easy to root for.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Yeah, as a kid I knew when Seaver and Koosman were pitching that it could be special. But I was a kid. Gooden was appointment baseball. You didn't leave the room. Dickey right now is the first Mets hurler since Gooden - with the possible exception of Pedro's best, short Mets streak in 2005 - when you have to watch. None of the other pitchers of the last 25 years have that, including Santana, in my book.
                            Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

Dickey is the first pitcher in modern baseball history(since 1900)with back to back one hitters of at least 10 strikeouts in each of those games.
                              "You don't give up any runs,we'll guarantee you
                              at least a tie." ~ Grote to Koosman

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Rigatoni View Post
                                Dickey is the first pitcher in modern baseball history(since 1900)with back to back one hitters of at least 10 strikeouts in each of those games.
                                Simply amazing! Seems the guy is making history with each start.

As an OT aside, I've always wondered why people consider 1900/01 as the beginning of modern baseball. I consider the beginning of modern baseball as 1920/21. In fact, I'm thinking of starting a thread about it, perhaps in the History forum.
                                Put it in the books.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X