Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Santana Throws The First No-Hitter In Mets History!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by Strawman View Post
    For once I'm in complete agreement with Pauly. The no-no was nice, don't get me wrong. But it's one night, one win - and in fact, the Mets went into a bit of a funk thereafter, especially Santana.

Strawberry was screwed in '88 no question. I like the big years too - the MVPs, Cy Youngs, batting titles etc. Those are bigger deals. And of course, 3,000 hits or strikeouts, 500 homers or 300 wins - all bigger than a no-hitter in my book. Plus, Santana has been a semi-bust as as free agent signing - mainly because of injuries - and I don't see him as one of my top Mets of all time in any category.

But was it cool? Yeah. Moderately so.
    Ok what have you done with Strawman?

Seriously we are in complete agreement here. I love the no no, they are exciting too watch and definately create those moments where you are tense. (Although for Santana's no no I actually was out playing a double header of my own so I didnt see one pitch -- just highlights later on). There are many guys that have thrown no-no's that didnt have great careers. There are no schlubs with 3000 hits, 500 homers, or 300 wins.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Dunaier
    replied
    If you can't wait until July 10 for the DVD, you can view the entire game on the Mets' website. It's broken down by inning, so you'll have to do separate clicks for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, &c., innings. No pre- or post-game material, but clicking on the 9th inning gets you the top of the 9th and everything following that until the commercial break - the post-game celebration, Kevin Burkhardt's on-field interview with Santana, and the broadcasters' final comments.

Leave a comment:

• Strawman
    replied
    Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
    True Met fans have been waiting longer, but as usual I just feel differently. The no hitter was awesome, but it really defines one great night. The fact that the Mets didnt have a no hitter in 50 years didnt really bother me much. I wanted a Met to throw one but it doesnt define the Met history one way or the other.

I much rather the Mets have an MVP, and its not even close. For two reasons - That means a Met player was the best player in the league, and it means the Mets either won their division or made the playoffs (for the most part). This is a lot more important to me than having one great night. By the way in 1988 Strawberry was the MVP, but was screwed....he put up big numbers and the Mets won the division---- way more important to me.

Jeter's accomplishment defines a great career.

Its apparent that I just dont think like most fans on the forum. Last year the Mets hit two grand slams in the same game. There was plenty of posting about it on here about how great it was...etc etc etc. Yes its great, and rare, but more importantly it helped contribute to a win. Would it matter less to me if it were two 2-run homers and they won? No. Grand slams are nice, but not the end all.

What if the Mets come crashing back down to earth and end up in 4th place in 2012? Ok so we have the highlight of Santana's no hitter which is great, but what did it really mean at the end of the day? Ok we can say a Met threw a no no...again great to say, but there are bigger fish to fry.
    For once I'm in complete agreement with Pauly. The no-no was nice, don't get me wrong. But it's one night, one win - and in fact, the Mets went into a bit of a funk thereafter, especially Santana.

Strawberry was screwed in '88 no question. I like the big years too - the MVPs, Cy Youngs, batting titles etc. Those are bigger deals. And of course, 3,000 hits or strikeouts, 500 homers or 300 wins - all bigger than a no-hitter in my book. Plus, Santana has been a semi-bust as as free agent signing - mainly because of injuries - and I don't see him as one of my top Mets of all time in any category.

But was it cool? Yeah. Moderately so.

Leave a comment:

• theAmazingMet
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    The '86 box is frustrating for me because it only includes the broadcasts of the actual games themselves, not the pre- or post-game shows, giving you a feeling of arriving in the middle of something.

Side note: I thought this happened during the WS broadcast, but the 1986 post-season schedule dictates that it must have happened during the LCS, where the first game was on the road. (This is relevant, as you'll see in a moment.) During the pre-game, they showed the player introductions, and - naturally - the Houston PA announcer went over the top when it came to introducing the Astros. Afterwards, the broacasters said something to the effect of 'the PA guy in NY has got his work cut out for him,' or something like that. Don't remember the exact words. So, obviously, I was looking forward to the series coming to NY and hearing Jack Franchetti (the Shea PA announcer) do his intros. Unfortunately, Franchetti never got his moment in the sun as NBC didn't broadcast the introductions of the players prior to the first game at Shea...
    I agree. It does seem like the games are taking place on an island, so to speak. I was also hoping that they would have an alt track version where we could listen to the Mets broadcast of the game. I love Murphy's call during Game 6, and was disappointed that I couldnt hear it.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Dunaier
    replied
    Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
    I have the same set, as well as the 1986 WS box set, and I agree. I dont think Ive watched a full game all the way through. It is nice to have though as a collector.
    The '86 box is frustrating for me because it only includes the broadcasts of the actual games themselves, not the pre- or post-game shows, giving you a feeling of arriving in the middle of something.

Side note: I thought this happened during the WS broadcast, but the 1986 post-season schedule dictates that it must have happened during the LCS, where the first game was on the road. (This is relevant, as you'll see in a moment.) During the pre-game, they showed the player introductions, and - naturally - the Houston PA announcer went over the top when it came to introducing the Astros. Afterwards, the broacasters said something to the effect of 'the PA guy in NY has got his work cut out for him,' or something like that. Don't remember the exact words. So, obviously, I was looking forward to the series coming to NY and hearing Jack Franchetti (the Shea PA announcer) do his intros. Unfortunately, Franchetti never got his moment in the sun as NBC didn't broadcast the introductions of the players prior to the first game at Shea...

Leave a comment:

• Shea Knight
    replied
    Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
    Is this gonna be 10 greatest games, or a 10 disc history? The product description doesnt really say much of anything useful.
    I had the same question...?

Is this going to be a mixture, all games, all clips and films...?

For that asking price, they really should be a bit clearer as to what it includes.

(In any case, unless it's drop-dead amazing, that looks to be a bit steep for my price range as a college student with no tutoring clients currently and hoping to get my first job when I start my new college this Fall...but $40 combined for the Shea Stadium games and the Johan game is more than doable.)

Leave a comment:

• theAmazingMet
    replied
    I agree with you. I have The New York Mets Essential Games Of Shea Stadium, but I only bother to actually watch the final out, or the big hit, that sort of thing. But it's nice to have the entire game, just in case there should come a time when I DO want to see the whole thing. And it's also a "collecting" thing, if you're a collector you want it all, or at least as much as you can afford and/or have room for.
    I have the same set, as well as the 1986 WS box set, and I agree. I dont think Ive watched a full game all the way through. It is nice to have though as a collector.

Leave a comment:

• theAmazingMet
    replied
    Originally posted by milladrive View Post
    Don't forget the 10-disc DVD 50th anniversary Mets box due out in September.

Is this gonna be 10 greatest games, or a 10 disc history? The product description doesnt really say much of anything useful.

Leave a comment:

• milladrive
    replied
    Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
    I LIKE them releasing these complete-game DVDs for major team accomplishments and World Series and postseason games...just me, but I enjoy watching and collecting these DVDs, at least some of them, like the Baseball's Best Games DVD...and soon the Essential Games of Shea Stadium DVD, and Johan's game...Cain's perfect game if they come out with it...Game 6 of last year's World Series...
    Don't forget the 10-disc DVD 50th anniversary Mets box due out in September.

Go to this page on the Mets' website, click on "Must C Classic: Santana finishes off Mets first no-no," and you'll be able to hear the final out as called by SNY, WFAN, Fox Sports Midwest, and KMOX (in that order).
    So, maybe there's hope after all that they'll include both the SNY and FSN Midwest telecasts, with audio options to listen to the radio commentators as well. I think that would be very cool. Of course, the Cardinal broadcasters were not nearly as "thrilled" as either Cohen nor Rose (who, thank goodness, did toss in his trademark, "Put it in the books!"), but I did notice that Mike Shannon showed more excitement than his television counterpart (probably 'cause he's been around for 40 years).

Also, it's interesting to note that at 1:03 in the video, Josh Thole hands Santana a ball, which I presume to be the ball that was used for the final out. Noteworthy to me because I commented on the Net 54 forums and possibly here at Baseball Fever as well, about the possibility of whoever owns the ball incurring a tax liability. One of the things we hear in the coverage of milestone home run balls is that the fan who finally comes up with the ball is immediately liable for taxes on the presumed market value, regardless of what the fan does with it - and because of its historical significance, I'm sure the Santana ball would sell for five figures if put up for auction - so I wondered if Santana or the Mets is just as liable for taxes on the value of the ball, whether or not they actually sell it... or does that just apply to fans?
    I did see your comments on that, and, not only do I disagree with any laws that require someone be liable for taxes based on assumed worth (something is only worth what someone is willing to pay), but you raise an excellent point about wondering if there's a double standard for players and fans.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Dunaier
    replied
    Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
    I just like when they release DVDs of these games and at least give fans the OPPORTUNITY to own and watch them again if they so desire for these sort of occasions--
    I agree with you. I have The New York Mets Essential Games Of Shea Stadium, but I only bother to actually watch the final out, or the big hit, that sort of thing. But it's nice to have the entire game, just in case there should come a time when I DO want to see the whole thing. And it's also a "collecting" thing, if you're a collector you want it all, or at least as much as you can afford and/or have room for.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Dunaier
    replied
    Even if there are no radio options, I'm naturally hoping that the SNY telecast is used, but I'd sure be interested to see (or hear) the FSN Midwest broadcast with Cardinal announcers Dan McLaughlin, Al Hrabosky, and/or Rick Horton.
    Go to this page on the Mets' website, click on "Must C Classic: Santana finishes off Mets first no-no," and you'll be able to hear the final out as called by SNY, WFAN, Fox Sports Midwest, and KMOX (in that order).

Also, it's interesting to note that at 1:03 in the video, Josh Thole hands Santana a ball, which I presume to be the ball that was used for the final out. Noteworthy to me because I commented on the Net 54 forums and possibly here at Baseball Fever as well, about the possibility of whoever owns the ball incurring a tax liability. One of the things we hear in the coverage of milestone home run balls is that the fan who finally comes up with the ball is immediately liable for taxes on the presumed market value, regardless of what the fan does with it - and because of its historical significance, I'm sure the Santana ball would sell for five figures if put up for auction - so I wondered if Santana or the Mets is just as liable for taxes on the value of the ball, whether or not they actually sell it... or does that just apply to fans?

Leave a comment:

• Shea Knight
    replied
    What does one have to do with the other? Not that I care about DVD's being released nor will I watch either, but Jeters is a lifetime achievment. Johan had a great night. I'll take the lifetime accomplishment any time.
    I just meant that both were regular season games, and relatively unimportant in terms of the standings...

And it's just me, but considering the teams, I'd put a Yankee,, after all those great hitters, finally getting one with 3,000 on par with a Mets pitcher, after all those great pitchers and, quite possibly, the record for one-hitters and ex-players to pitch a no-hitter after leaving, finally getting a Mets no-hitter.

It's a big team accomplishment--so all I was saying was, as the Yankee fans got to enjoy their team's achievement with a game DVD, I thought it was only fair the Mets got what I'd consider, in the context of the team's history and culture, just as big a game for Mets fans as Jeter's game was for Yankee fans.

Not all no-no's are worthy of a DVD, sure--but after so many near misses and given the pitching culture of the Mets (plus Santana's personal story, surgery to no-hitter) I thought this one certainly was, so I was happy to see the game honored with a DVD release (you might not like them, but fans like myself and, if I'm not mistaken, milladrive and others here do like to watch old games, I happily record audio for Mets, Dodgers, and other games, and have the 10-game Baseball's Best Games DVD set, with complete game broadcasts from Mazeroski's Game to Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS.)

By that same token, given the Giant's storied history, and the fact Cain not only gave them their 1st perfect game, but by all accounts a pretty remarkable perfect game, or so it would seem, I'd love to see MLB release a DVD for that game, too--

I LIKE them releasing these complete-game DVDs for major team accomplishments and World Series and postseason games...just me, but I enjoy watching and collecting these DVDs, at least some of them, like the Baseball's Best Games DVD...and soon the Essential Games of Shea Stadium DVD, and Johan's game...Cain's perfect game if they come out with it...Game 6 of last year's World Series...

I just like when they release DVDs of these games and at least give fans the OPPORTUNITY to own and watch them again if they so desire for these sort of occasions--

Jeter was deserving of his, I was just saying I thought Johan was deserving of a $12.95 DVD release as well, and I'm happy his game will get one.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Jeter's 3,000th hit was not only a lifetime achievement, but unusual (if not unique) in that it was a home run.

Santana may have had "a great night," but it's also the fact that it's the Mets' first no-hitter, and not even that so much as the fact that it took place more than 50 years after they played their very first game. Mets fans have been waiting for this longer than Jeter fans have been waiting for him to hit #3,000.
    True Met fans have been waiting longer, but as usual I just feel differently. The no hitter was awesome, but it really defines one great night. The fact that the Mets didnt have a no hitter in 50 years didnt really bother me much. I wanted a Met to throw one but it doesnt define the Met history one way or the other.

I much rather the Mets have an MVP, and its not even close. For two reasons - That means a Met player was the best player in the league, and it means the Mets either won their division or made the playoffs (for the most part). This is a lot more important to me than having one great night. By the way in 1988 Strawberry was the MVP, but was screwed....he put up big numbers and the Mets won the division---- way more important to me.

Jeter's accomplishment defines a great career.

Its apparent that I just dont think like most fans on the forum. Last year the Mets hit two grand slams in the same game. There was plenty of posting about it on here about how great it was...etc etc etc. Yes its great, and rare, but more importantly it helped contribute to a win. Would it matter less to me if it were two 2-run homers and they won? No. Grand slams are nice, but not the end all.

What if the Mets come crashing back down to earth and end up in 4th place in 2012? Ok so we have the highlight of Santana's no hitter which is great, but what did it really mean at the end of the day? Ok we can say a Met threw a no no...again great to say, but there are bigger fish to fry.
    Last edited by Paulypal; 06-15-2012, 07:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    I definitely knew that a Sunday release was quite out of the ordinary. Ever since I was a kid, Tuesday was always the day new records arrived in the stores, and, as a Beatleologist, I've long known Tuesdays to be the usual day of media releases in the US while Friday is the usual day in the UK.

But within 24 hours of the listed June 10 posted release date, Amazon listed the item as "Sold Out; Place Order now and we'll ship when new stock arrives." About a day later, and as I write this, the Amazon page lists the caveat, "Usually ships within 1 to 3 weeks," which I've seen before regarding other items, and the page still lists the "DVD Release Date: June 10, 2012."

Amazon often gets copies of newly released media to ship early. So, it's possible that some folks who pre-ordered a copy received it a month early (hence, the "Sold Out" within 24 hours). However, I've also known them to list things inaccurately, and it seems reasonable to believe MLB.com, especially given that July 10 is indeed a Tuesday, and, as I say, Amazon is now listing it as "Usually ships within 1 to 3 weeks." Besides, it's currently listed on the "Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #11,453 in Movies & TV," and something this popular will most certainly be higher than that the week it's officially released. So, again, I tend to believe, although Amazon may have indeed had a limited number of copies to sell a month early, the official mass release date is July 10.

Whatever the case may be, as I posted previously, and as Shea Knight said, kudos to MLB and A&E Entertainment for getting this out so quickly. And, Gary, I too hope there are commentator options. Even if there are no radio options, I'm naturally hoping that the SNY telecast is used, but I'd sure be interested to see (or hear) the FSN Midwest broadcast with Cardinal announcers Dan McLaughlin, Al Hrabosky, and/or Rick Horton.

Why the apathy?
    I am not apathetic to either one. I can watch an abridged version, but I dont see myself sitting there watching a game in its entirety. I can watch the last three innings in their entirety I am sure, but I couldnt watch the whole game.

Maybe in years down the road I could, but not now. I have watched games from 1986, but that also has to do with nostalgia as much as anything.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Dunaier
    replied
    What does one have to do with the other? Not that I care about DVD's being released nor will I watch either, but Jeters is a lifetime achievment. Johan had a great night. I'll take the lifetime accomplishment any time.
    Jeter's 3,000th hit was not only a lifetime achievement, but unusual (if not unique) in that it was a home run.

Santana may have had "a great night," but it's also the fact that it's the Mets' first no-hitter, and not even that so much as the fact that it took place more than 50 years after they played their very first game. Mets fans have been waiting for this longer than Jeter fans have been waiting for him to hit #3,000.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X