Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Santana Throws The First No-Hitter In Mets History!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
    I just meant that both were regular season games, and relatively unimportant in terms of the standings...

And it's just me, but considering the teams, I'd put a Yankee,, after all those great hitters, finally getting one with 3,000 on par with a Mets pitcher, after all those great pitchers and, quite possibly, the record for one-hitters and ex-players to pitch a no-hitter after leaving, finally getting a Mets no-hitter.

It's a big team accomplishment--so all I was saying was, as the Yankee fans got to enjoy their team's achievement with a game DVD, I thought it was only fair the Mets got what I'd consider, in the context of the team's history and culture, just as big a game for Mets fans as Jeter's game was for Yankee fans.

Not all no-no's are worthy of a DVD, sure--but after so many near misses and given the pitching culture of the Mets (plus Santana's personal story, surgery to no-hitter) I thought this one certainly was, so I was happy to see the game honored with a DVD release (you might not like them, but fans like myself and, if I'm not mistaken, milladrive and others here do like to watch old games, I happily record audio for Mets, Dodgers, and other games, and have the 10-game Baseball's Best Games DVD set, with complete game broadcasts from Mazeroski's Game to Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS.)

By that same token, given the Giant's storied history, and the fact Cain not only gave them their 1st perfect game, but by all accounts a pretty remarkable perfect game, or so it would seem, I'd love to see MLB release a DVD for that game, too--

I LIKE them releasing these complete-game DVDs for major team accomplishments and World Series and postseason games...just me, but I enjoy watching and collecting these DVDs, at least some of them, like the Baseball's Best Games DVD...and soon the Essential Games of Shea Stadium DVD, and Johan's game...Cain's perfect game if they come out with it...Game 6 of last year's World Series...

I just like when they release DVDs of these games and at least give fans the OPPORTUNITY to own and watch them again if they so desire for these sort of occasions--

Jeter was deserving of his, I was just saying I thought Johan was deserving of a $12.95 DVD release as well, and I'm happy his game will get one.
    I agree with you. Its good to have to watch and/or collect.

Comment

Strawman and Paulypal have reached an agreement? Maybe the Mayans were right?
      unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
      unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
      unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
        Is this gonna be 10 greatest games, or a 10 disc history? The product description doesnt really say much of anything useful.
        I had the same question...?

Is this going to be a mixture, all games, all clips and films...?

For that asking price, they really should be a bit clearer as to what it includes.

(In any case, unless it's drop-dead amazing, that looks to be a bit steep for my price range as a college student with no tutoring clients currently and hoping to get my first job when I start my new college this Fall...but $40 combined for the Shea Stadium games and the Johan game is more than doable.)
        As of now, all they have listed is what we've all read...

MLB Productions and A&E Home Entertainment have created a celebratory collection of memories, milestones, moments and most of all things New York Mets. This Collector’s Set weaves joyful editorial with an uplifting pictorial presentation that wraps around 10 DVDs of classic and in some cases never-before seen Mets history.

This one-of-a kind Mets treasure-trove features more than 22 hours of beloved players, unforgettable moments, and stirring performances. Wrapped with stunning and historic images from the Major League Baseball archives, then framed with colorful commentary, this 26-page compendium is as expansive as it is unprecedented and creates the most comprehensive New York Metropolitan DVD celebration.

I would imagine it'll include all the available Mets Yearbook episodes and such, but I've no doubt the entire set will be some sort of chronological breakdown of 50 years of Mets history. Just a hunch. I've already pre-ordered it, so whatever it is is whatever I'll get, but, imo, no way will they produce such an undertaking without making it something very special.

LOL
        Put it in the books.

Comment

I agreed with Straw and Shea Knight in the same thread. I must be getting too soft.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
            I agreed with Straw and Shea Knight in the same thread. I must be getting too soft.
            Umpires and managers of grace defend us...

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
            I would imagine it'll include all the available Mets Yearbook episodes and such, but I've no doubt the entire set will be some sort of chronological breakdown of 50 years of Mets history. Just a hunch. I've already pre-ordered it, so whatever it is is whatever I'll get, but, imo, no way will they produce such an undertaking without making it something very special.

LOL
            Well, I've never seen Mets Yearbook (I assume that's something on SNY where they spend a half hour or so summing up a season?) so I've no way of knowing if that'll be worth it or not...

We'll see, it'll still be there later, I suppose (or you could always tell us once you get it.) lol
            "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Well, I've never seen Mets Yearbook (I assume that's something on SNY where they spend a half hour or so summing up a season?)....
              That's precisely correct. As of now -- albeit I haven't really taken too much notice -- I've seen those half hours from 1962 through 1988, all with either Lindsay Nelson or, more common, Bob Murphy doing the narration. I may be mistaken, but I've yet to see one from the '90s or beyond.
              Put it in the books.

Comment

Here's a thread I forgot existed...

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...-Mets-Yearbook
                Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                  That's precisely correct. As of now -- albeit I haven't really taken too much notice -- I've seen those half hours from 1962 through 1988, all with either Lindsay Nelson or, more common, Bob Murphy doing the narration. I may be mistaken, but I've yet to see one from the '90s or beyond.
                  What they now call Mets Yearbook comes from the annual highlight films - as in real film - that the team made every year as a promotional item and then rented or lent (sometimes with a player along for the ride) to schools, scout troops, youth groups etc.

I remember visits by Mets Ron Taylor ('69 bullpen star) and Charlie Williams (traded for Willie Mays) to my Cub Scout troop and they featured a showing of the Mets promo film from that year, which was a big deal.
                  Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                    The '86 box is frustrating for me because it only includes the broadcasts of the actual games themselves, not the pre- or post-game shows, giving you a feeling of arriving in the middle of something.

Side note: I thought this happened during the WS broadcast, but the 1986 post-season schedule dictates that it must have happened during the LCS, where the first game was on the road. (This is relevant, as you'll see in a moment.) During the pre-game, they showed the player introductions, and - naturally - the Houston PA announcer went over the top when it came to introducing the Astros. Afterwards, the broacasters said something to the effect of 'the PA guy in NY has got his work cut out for him,' or something like that. Don't remember the exact words. So, obviously, I was looking forward to the series coming to NY and hearing Jack Franchetti (the Shea PA announcer) do his intros. Unfortunately, Franchetti never got his moment in the sun as NBC didn't broadcast the introductions of the players prior to the first game at Shea...
                    Actually, it was ABC. I have that set and it's a bit annoying to hear Keith Jackson calling the games (he belongs with football).

Anyone wanting the game needs to cough up $2 on itunes and buy the game (from SNY). Check MLB.com's Games of the Year 2012, #20.

Comment

Originally posted by MattD1972 View Post
                      Actually, it was ABC. I have that set and it's a bit annoying to hear Keith Jackson calling the games (he belongs with football).

Anyone wanting the game needs to cough up $2 on itunes and buy the game (from SNY). Check MLB.com's Games of the Year 2012, #20.
                      I thought Vin Scully had the call on the 1986 WS set...he called the games...
                      "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

I thought Vin Scully had the call on the 1986 WS set...he called the games...
                        You're right,Vin Scully along with Joe Garagiola called the 1986 WS on NBC.Keith Jackson along with Tim McCarver
                        called the 1986 NLCS on ABC.
                        "You don't give up any runs,we'll guarantee you
                        at least a tie." ~ Grote to Koosman

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                          If you can't wait until July 10 for the DVD, you can view the entire game on the Mets' website. It's broken down by inning, so you'll have to do separate clicks for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, &c., innings. No pre- or post-game material, but clicking on the 9th inning gets you the top of the 9th and everything following that until the commercial break - the post-game celebration, Kevin Burkhardt's on-field interview with Santana, and the broadcasters' final comments.
                          I just watched some of this for the first time, and contrary to what I said, it's not the entire game - just the top half of each inning (Santana's performance only, no Met at-bats).
                          If you've been wanting to send someone a thumbs-down, opportunity knocks! I'm now on Cameo, and I'm ready to send a personalized thumbs-down to anyone you want!

Comment

They had the DVD for sale at the Team Store in Citi Field last night. They had a commercial for it in the middle of the 4th inning and at the end they announced that the Team Store had it. I would have bought one but the price was $19.99 and even with my 15% STH discount I think I might be able to get it for less next Tuesday when it "officially" goes on sale.

The only "bonus" material, according to the box, is the audio from WFAN's play by play, and the audio from the Spanish radio broadcast.
                            If you've been wanting to send someone a thumbs-down, opportunity knocks! I'm now on Cameo, and I'm ready to send a personalized thumbs-down to anyone you want!

Comment

Meh, I'd buy the game for the game, not some amazing bonus material...though I hope they include the post-game interview he had, pie-face and all...

Comment

I can't see how they won't, but you don't know. Meanwhile, I already have a DVD I bought off a guy on Ebay... it's got the complete SNY broadcast, pre- and post-game shows (AND commercials) included, plus the MLB Network's live cut-in (which is essentially the same as SNY's broadcast with additional MLB Network graphics), WNBC-TV's coverage from the news that night, and ESPN's Baseball Tonight coverage.

As far as bonus material on the "official" DVD, they could have added more - final outs of Mets one-hitters, for instance. That there's so little "extras" is disappointing when you consider that the "official" DVD of the game where Derek Jeter got his 3,000th hit has bonuses like Jeter's first hit, his speech to the fans after the final game in the original Yankee Stadium, and other stuff (I could "look it up" but it's waaay past my bedtime).

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X