This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorce from the Mets

Now that the Mets are owned in part by Bill Maher, the team signals to people of faith and to those who don't adhere to far left radicalism that it no longer cares about such people. Thus, they should not be surprised that I and likely many who hold the above views have said farewell to the club.

No more Mets tickets will be bought in this corner.

Sad

Bye
    Still patiently waiting @ at Sullivan & McKeever (once THE corner in MLB) for the Brooks to return from their extended road trip.

Bill Maher is neither far left or a radical. He is a social libertarian. He has also never said anything untrue about religion, especially the organized version.

Comment

What does religion have to do with baseball? Should A.S. Roma (soccer team) have to be owned by the pope cause of its vicinity to the Vatican and "people of faith"?
      Last edited by DarioMet; 06-08-2012, 01:18 AM.

Comment

First of all, Maher bought a piece of the team before ths season began. It became news only after the no-hitter. So, you're a dollar short and four months late.

Second, what is it about him that affects the way the Mets play the game? How does it affect the result in the box score? I'll answer those for you: nothing and it doesn't.

Lastly, if you wish to disown the Mets because one of their owners is of a character that offends you, you probably haven't been following the escapades of their principle owners, the Wilpons. You know, those shady folks who were quite heavily involved with the Bernie Madoff scandal. So, I happen to think your priorities are bit bassackwards. Maher has never done anything criminal, unlike the Wilpons. Maher is merely a political and religious commentator with a comedic slant. If that offends you more than criminal activities, then I feel sorry for you.

In closing, feel free to disown the Mets in favor of that little impenetrable bubble so many people sit in called Fox News. You won't be missed.

Happy.

Bye.

P.S. Ed and Dario, you both make excellent points.
        Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
          First of all, Maher bought a piece of the team before ths season began. It became news only after the no-hitter. So, you're a dollar short and four months late.

Second, what is it about him that affects the way the Mets play the game? How does it affect the result in the box score? I'll answer those for you: nothing and it doesn't.

Lastly, if you wish to disown the Mets because one of their owners is of a character that offends you, you probably haven't been following the escapades of their principle owners, the Wilpons. You know, those shady folks who were quite heavily involved with the Bernie Madoff scandal. So, I happen to think your priorities are bit bassackwards. Maher has never done anything criminal, unlike the Wilpons. Maher is merely a political and religious commentator with a comedic slant. If that offends you more than criminal activities, then I feel sorry for you.

In closing, feel free to disown the Mets in favor of that little impenetrable bubble so many people sit in called Fox News. You won't be missed.

Happy.

Bye.

P.S. Ed and Dario, you both make excellent points.
          So you still hold the Madoff scandal against them? Remember Piccard settled the suit with out going to trial before losing big in court. And Piccard had such a weak hand he gave the Mets favorable terms, you know they can collect $10,000,000 more than they have to give up.

Now you pushed it to the point where it's OK to not be a fan becaue you are angry over a crime not committed. But if you are angry because you feel management is not supporting your religous beliefs that is not OK. Nice double standard. Don't forget this management is hosting a conceert by Mercy Me, a Christian rock band.

I think we all need to remember the politically correct way to dislike the Wilpons around here.

I expect a response like that from others who clearly have no desire to do anything but keep the conversation from going forward.

But from you I'm just flabbergasted.

Comment

Yeah, perhaps I was a little off-base there. I think I was just using it to make the point of comparison for the OP. This sudden uproar from the fundamentalists over the "news" of Bill Maher owning a piece of the Mets literally makes me sick to my stomach. They're acting as if Chuck Manson has a piece of the team. I wouldn't disown the team if Bill O'Reilly bought a piece of the team.

In fact, you know, the more I think about it, perhaps Met fans should write a couple of letters to Michael Moore, Lewis Black, and Howard Stern to see if they'll buy a piece of the Mets. That would most assuredly help drive away any of the tea-bagging conservative "people of faith" who may be still sitting on the fence.

Too bad Carlin's dead.
            Put it in the books.

Comment

Btw, the Wilpons did decide to settle rather than open their books to the public. I do consider that a bit shady, as if they had something to hide and perhaps would've had to pay much more than the settlement. Just sayin'.

But I shouldn't pursue the Ownership/Management point in this thread unless it pertains to Maher. Sorry.
              Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty Bunter View Post
                Now that the Mets are owned in part by Bill Maher, the team signals to people of faith and to those who don't adhere to far left radicalism that it no longer cares about such people. Thus, they should not be surprised that I and likely many who hold the above views have said farewell to the club.

Sad

Bye
                Birds of a feather. The guy is smug, condescending, 'smarmy' ******* so why are you surprised the crooked ******* owners let him sign up?

However, not a reason to bag on the kids and vets on this team who are likeable and battle their rear ends off every game for better or worse. I don't expect playoffs, and I expect the long season to catch up to the youngsters in the end, but as a fan of baseball and of the Mets team, I do appreciate the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by LostMet View Post
                  Birds of a feather. The guy is smug, condescending, 'smarmy' ******* so why are you surprised the crooked ******* owners let him sign up?

However, not a reason to bag on the kids and vets on this team who are likeable and battle their rear ends off every game for better or worse. I don't expect playoffs, and I expect the long season to catch up to the youngsters in the end, but as a fan of baseball and of the Mets team, I do appreciate the effort.
                  Despite the cursing, you make a good point, similar to the second point in my first post. No matter who owns baseball teams, from God to Satan, it shouldn't affect how we root for them. The players are so far removed from the owners and the shareholders, they shouldn't, imho, be held accountable for them when playing the games. I'll always root for the Mets no matter who owns them.
                  Put it in the books.

Comment

The more I've thought about it, ribant, the more I realize how I should have presented the third point in my first post.

I should've said, "Lastly, if you wish to disown the Mets because one of their owners is of a character that offends you, you probably haven't been following the escapades of their principle owners, the Wilpons. I happen to think your priorities are bit bassackwards. Maher has never done anything to negatively affect the Mets nearly as much as the Wilpons have. He is merely a political and religious commentator with a comedic slant. If that offends you more than all the negative influence the Wilpons have had on the Mets, then I feel sorry for you."

I thank you for calling me on it. You were 100% correct.
                    Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty Bunter View Post

Sad

Bye
                      Funny complaint coming from someone named "Lefty Bunter".

Comment

Originally posted by richiek View Post
                        lol... Ah, the ironies.
                        Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by richiek View Post
                          He bunts lefty but he swings from the right side...and misses.
                          Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

And by the way, I can't stand Bill Maher - and I'm a liberal. He's an old fashioned sexist pig to my ear. But I don't care that he owns a piece of the Mets.
                            Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

Once a fan... Always a fan!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X