Johan Santana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johan Santana

Here's a guy who has the lowest ERA in the Majors from 2004-2012. Tonight was the first time in his entire career he'd given up six or more earned runs in three consecutive starts. Before his start tonight, his ERA in the eight starts since his no-hitter was 6.25, and that'll remain about the same after tonight.

Now, I'm not concerned about tonight's game. Behind 6-2, I'm already prepared for our bullpen to give up another 40 runs. I'm more concerned with Johan Santana. One has to wonder if he's healthy. One cannot help but wonder if throwing 134 pitches in the no-no did indeed damage his shoulder. He's simply not the same Johan that he was before June 1.

I think they should run some tests (MRI/CRT/etc.) to make certain he's okay. Sometimes these things don't cause pain even when present, and I think he's way too valuable to take any more chances without checking things out. And if he IS okay, what could possibly be the problem that's causing him to all of a sudden lose his stuff after being dominant for the first two months of the year (and indeed, beginning in 2004)?
    Put it in the books.

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
    I'm already prepared for our bullpen to give up another 40 runs.
    Only 40 runs?

I think they should run some tests (MRI/CRT/etc.) to make certain he's okay. Sometimes these things don't cause pain even when present, and I think he's way too valuable to take any more chances without checking things out. And if he IS okay, what could possibly be the problem that's causing him to all of a sudden lose his stuff after being dominant for the first two months of the year (and indeed, beginning in 2004)?
    I agree with this statement.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Here's a guy who has the lowest ERA in the Majors from 2004-2012. Tonight was the first time in his entire career he'd given up six or more earned runs in three consecutive starts. Before his start tonight, his ERA in the eight starts since his no-hitter was 6.25, and that'll remain about the same after tonight.

Now, I'm not concerned about tonight's game. Behind 6-2, I'm already prepared for our bullpen to give up another 40 runs. I'm more concerned with Johan Santana. One has to wonder if he's healthy. One cannot help but wonder if throwing 134 pitches in the no-no did indeed damage his shoulder. He's simply not the same Johan that he was before June 1.

Milla, I have been saying this since he threw the no hitter.....while it may be unpopular, the Mets should very quickly look to see if any team wants to take his salary ASAP before the lid blows off. Teams may be very leery of taking him now, but if we find out in 2-3 weeks that he is hurt.....there's $25 million, or about 27% of the payroll...back on the DL. Look, I know he threw the no hitter, but sometimes for the sake of the team deals have to me made.

Bobby Thomson hit THE home run in '51. The Giants later traded him, for Johnny Antonelli, who pitched them to a WS in '54. Sometimes you have to do thse things !

Comment

It is not unheard of for a good pitcher to have 3-4 poor outings in a row. In 1999, a perfectly healthy Greg Maddux gave up 4+ runs in six out of seven starts and 5+ runs in five of the seven. A stretch of poor games does not necessarily mean injury.
        1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
        The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
          Milla, I have been saying this since he threw the no hitter.....while it may be unpopular, the Mets should very quickly look to see if any team wants to take his salary ASAP before the lid blows off. Teams may be very leery of taking him now, but if we find out in 2-3 weeks that he is hurt.....there's $25 million, or about 27% of the payroll...back on the DL. Look, I know he threw the no hitter, but sometimes for the sake of the team deals have to me made.

Bobby Thomson hit THE home run in '51. The Giants later traded him, for Johnny Antonelli, who pitched them to a WS in '54. Sometimes you have to do thse things !
          I agree with you 100%.

I didnt see the no-no. I was playing ball that night, but after the game most of team went out to eat, and I said they need to seriously start shopping Santana around right now. The market was never going to be higher. Every start since then he has lost open market value.

I was told I was nuts because the Mets were right in the middle of this thing, and how can you trade someone after a no-no.

This is how.

Comment

I also do not think their is anything wrong with him. Johan has lost velicity on his fastball. This has been on going. His best pitch is his changeup. When the differential from your fastball to you change up decreases so does your ability to fool hitters.

Every batter looks like they are sitting on the change up because they know the fastball will not be blown by them.

Of course its possible their is something wrong, but I am not going to blame his performance on it.

Comment

The Mets have placed Johan Santana on the disabled list with an ankle injury. Santana injured his ankle in a start against the Cubs two weeks ago after Reed Johnson stepped on it in a collision at first base.

http://www.metsblog.com/2012/07/21/j...ana-to-the-dl/

Comment

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                The Mets have placed Johan Santana on the disabled list with an ankle injury. Santana injured his ankle in a start against the Cubs two weeks ago after Reed Johnson stepped on it in a collision at first base.

Well, I did say it doesn't not "necessarily" mean he was injured. I never said he wasn't.
                1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

LOL sure he did.

Comment

The Mets are great at killing Hall of Fame careers.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                      LOL sure he did.
                      Don't blame me, I'm just the messenger.

Comment

Don't blame me, I'm just the messenger.
                        Blue I wasnt blaming you. You were just sharing a story. I just dont buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                          Blue I wasnt blaming you. You were just sharing a story. I just dont buy it.
                          Is there a policy for MLB where injuries reported must be accurate? In one sport once you claim a specific injury it must be true or you risk loss of draft picks and serious fines. In that sport you can claim upper or lower body and it's ok but once you make a specific claim about an injury it has to be correct.

Not for anything the insurance may also force the Mets here to be transparent because of his arm surgery.
                          Last edited by WEB; 07-21-2012, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WEB View Post
                            Is there a policy for MLB where injuries reported must be accurate? In one sport once you claim a specific injury it must be true or you risk loss of draft picks and serious fines. In that sport you can claim upper or lower body and it's ok but once you make a specific claim about an injury it has to be correct.

Not for anything the insurance may also force the Mets here to be transparent because of his arm surgery.
                            Actually I dont think he is injured at all. I think this is just a "timeout" for Yohan. They say ankle because as long as its not an arm injury and just an ankle sprain that he was able to pitch with then maybe trade offers can still roll in. Just a theory on my part, but in no way do I believe Yohan is injured.

Also dont forget Santana hasnt pitched since 2010 so fatigue in my opinion is playing a big role in the "timeout".

Comment

There's Pauly the iconoclast at his finest once again. I started this thread with a gut instinct just knowing something was wrong with him physically. Now that there's some solid proof, you still can't even believe it! Why is it so difficult for you to believe the guy injured his ankle when it was literally stepped on by a metal cleat on a play at first?? JOHAN didn't want to admit it! He's a gamer! He WANTS to play! They found out something was wrong and placed him on the DL.

Don't believe it all you want. But I called it! The poor past three starts and that play at first are precisely synchronious! And because he's been pitching with that injury, it's put extra strain on that shoulder. Man, can one person be this dense, or are you just playing devil's advocate to get a rise out of people?
                              Put it in the books.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X