Lucas Duda . . . thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucas Duda . . . thoughts?

This is just temporary, right? You can't keep a good man down.

Originally posted by EasilyFound View Post
    Or he's trade bait. The guy's not a top major league talent. Occasional power, poor defense, low average.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
      Or he's trade bait. The guy's not a top major league talent. Occasional power, poor defense, low average.
      I thought he would be 25/80/.280 this year. Sophmore slump?

Comment

Originally posted by ribant View Post
        I thought he would be 25/80/.280 this year. Sophmore slump?
        Or ceiling.
        Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

I try not to think about him but who said he is good? His defense is atrocious and hits for occasional power. Duda in my opinion is just another of Met prospects that fans fell in love with because less than mediocre is what we are force fed.

Given enough time in the desert sand looks like water. Given enough time without having a great player on the team Ike Davis, Duda, Thole, Murphy, etc etc all start to look good. We have David Wright and bench filler.

Comment

It was brought up in another thread. Why him but not Davis. Be that as it may, he was hitting under .200 for the past month with rally starting defense. It seems like ages since a position player has come up and become even a marginal major league level regular with this team.

Comment

The Front Office thought it was a time to bring up the kid pitcher, Harvey to make his MLB debut. I'm not sure what this does to the roster balcnce between position players and pitchers, Had they only been going with 11 pitchers before ths move? Are they at the standard 13 position players and 12 pitchers roster balance now?
              This shows my age, but I remember when MLB teams' standard practice was to use 15 position players and just 10 pitchers. I believe the Oakand A's went 16 postion players and only 9 pitchers for one of their World Series in the 1970s. (I think it was the 1974 W.S.).
              Last edited by philliesfiend55; 07-25-2012, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                I try not to think about him but who said he is good? His defense is atrocious and hits for occasional power. Duda in my opinion is just another of Met prospects that fans fell in love with because less than mediocre is what we are force fed.

Given enough time in the desert sand looks like water. Given enough time without having a great player on the team Ike Davis, Duda, Thole, Murphy, etc etc all start to look good. We have David Wright and bench filler.
                Remember when I compared him to Kingman and was laughed at? Seems I was wrong, he hits less homers than Kong with all the other negative attributes. Maybe they can get him corrected down in Buffalo. He was trying to pull too much, and never seemed comfortable in RF.
                unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
                unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
                unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
                  Remember when I compared him to Kingman and was laughed at? Seems I was wrong, he hits less homers than Kong with all the other negative attributes. Maybe they can get him corrected down in Buffalo. He was trying to pull too much, and never seemed comfortable in RF.
                  I think Duda is what he is. He came up... did ok... the league figured him out and he went in the tank. Can he learn to adjust? That will be the key. If not , he is a bench player at best. He can't play defense worth spit.

Comment

Apparently, a bad attitude - not a great clubhouse guy - was part of why they sent Duda down.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Your definition of good was extremely convoluted.

I admit that I'm probably closer to wrong end of the spectrum when it comes to Duda, but it's not too far-fetched to believe that he has some upside.

Comment

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
                        Apparently, a bad attitude - not a great clubhouse guy - was part of why they sent Duda down.
                        Haha, pure fantasy. Duda is known for being a quiet kid who is too hard on himself. How you took that and twisted into the above is laughable.

As for Duda, its my opinion that he was not put in a position to succeed this year. He has talent (~600 ab betw this year and last he has 30 doubles, 22 hrs, 94 rbi, and a 266/352/436 line) but showed a real uneasiness with playing RF. In the time he had last year in LF, he proved to be much better and seemed more comfortable. In the end, he probably will be used in the offseason as trade bait. I still think he can succeed in the majors but it would likely have to be on a small market team because he doesn't seem cut out for the NY spotlight.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf View Post
                          Haha, pure fantasy. Duda is known for being a quiet kid who is too hard on himself. How you took that and twisted into the above is laughable.

As for Duda, its my opinion that he was not put in a position to succeed this year. He has talent (~600 ab betw this year and last he has 30 doubles, 22 hrs, 94 rbi, and a 266/352/436 line) but showed a real uneasiness with playing RF. In the time he had last year in LF, he proved to be much better and seemed more comfortable. In the end, he probably will be used in the offseason as trade bait. I still think he can succeed in the majors but it would likely have to be on a small market team because he doesn't seem cut out for the NY spotlight.
                          Too bad the Mets couldn't find a way to put those 600 ABs into one season.

Comment

Too bad the Mets couldn't find a way to put those 600 ABs into one season.
                            Duda is built like an offensive lineman. It was painful watching him in right field. Davis probably could have done better there since he's more mobile and probably a better all around athlete. I doubt he could have done worse. Like Murphy, sticking Duda in the outfield seemed to effect his hitting.

That said, I suspect a team like the Rays or A's will pick the front office's pocket and wind up with a guy capable of 35/100/.275/.370/.500 and who'll produce those sort of numbers for around ten years. He just needs to be put at first base or DH. It wasn't about New York pressure or anything other than being put in a position where he'd fail and having to deal with that failure every day. Given a chance I think Duda's shown he has a Big League power bat and can take a walk. Whether here or somewhere else he'll do fine.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf View Post

Do you think it is possible to debate others on the forum without the little insults directed at people who have a different opinion ? In the last couple of days, I have read about a half dozen posts of yours that have these type of remarks tucked inside. Is it really needed? Just asking.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X