• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paulypal
    $300MM of Dumpster Diving
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by CokeMachineGlow View Post
    Your definition of good was extremely convoluted.

I admit that I'm probably closer to wrong end of the spectrum when it comes to Duda, but it's not too far-fetched to believe that he has some upside.
    I didn't say he doesn't have upside. He just isn't nearly there yet.

Comment

• Paulypal
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
      Apparently, a bad attitude - not a great clubhouse guy - was part of why they sent Duda down.
      Can you back that up with some info......info not from The Strawman Journal

Comment

• Ralf
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
        Do you think it is possible to debate others on the forum without the little insults directed at people who have a different opinion ? In the last couple of days, I have read about a half dozen posts of yours that have these type of remarks tucked inside. Is it really needed? Just asking.
        I commented on the post, not the poster. Unlike you.....

Comment

• EasilyFound
          • Jun 2008

What is Duda's natural position? I figured it was OF, but is he a natural first baseman?

Comment

• Strawman
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
            Can you back that up with some info......info not from The Strawman Journal
            Yeah, Newsday's David Lennon reported it yesterday:

Talked to someone about Duda today. Numbers aside, didn't realize how deep he was in the dogouse, attitude-wise. He's got some work to do.
            and...

Re: Duda. Not only lacking in confidence, needs to be reminded staying in bigs not a birthright. #Mets hope sulking doesn't cont at Buffalo
            Links:

I have nothing against Duda, but it seems his attitude was way off - and was part of the decision to send him down. A guy sulking around can affect the clubhouse, clearly. Hardly "pure fantasy."
            Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Paulypal
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
              Yeah, Newsday's David Lennon reported it yesterday:

and...

Links:

I have nothing against Duda, but it seems his attitude was way off - and was part of the decision to send him down. A guy sulking around can affect the clubhouse, clearly. Hardly "pure fantasy."
              Thanks for the info.

Although I still take that with a grain of salt. Sometimes a guy that is hard on himself can come off in a bad way, but it isnt directed at anyone. Dealing with failure for even great MLB players is difficult. When it happens to a less than mediocre player like Duda it can really take away any bit of confidence he had. Especially when he was expected to hit in the middle of the order.

Again this goes back to the organization and even more so the fan base thinking Met players are good and have high expectations of them based upon a very small sample size. As we have seen over and over again it just doesnt work that way.

Comment

• CokeMachineGlow
                The Alderson Era
                • May 2010

Originally posted by EasilyFound View Post
                What is Duda's natural position? I figured it was OF, but is he a natural first baseman?
                He's more like a natural DH. He's a butcher where ever he plays, but he's less of a butcher at left - his "natural position" I suppose.

Comment

• Strawman
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                  Thanks for the info.

Although I still take that with a grain of salt. Sometimes a guy that is hard on himself can come off in a bad way, but it isnt directed at anyone. Dealing with failure for even great MLB players is difficult. When it happens to a less than mediocre player like Duda it can really take away any bit of confidence he had. Especially when he was expected to hit in the middle of the order.

Again this goes back to the organization and even more so the fan base thinking Met players are good and have high expectations of them based upon a very small sample size. As we have seen over and over again it just doesnt work that way.
                  Sure. I agree - and he's a young guy, and young guys make mistakes and sometime act stupidly - and not in their own best interests. With pro athletes, the likelihood is even higher! I wouldn't kill him for it. We tend to expect way too much of these guys as leaders and "good people" anyway. I'm sure his attitude can improve.
                  Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• milladrive
                    • Sep 2006

Do you think it is possible to debate others on the forum without the little insults directed at people who have a different opinion ? In the last couple of days, I have read about a half dozen posts of yours that have these type of remarks tucked inside. Is it really needed? Just asking.
                    Originally posted by Ralf View Post
                    I commented on the post, not the poster. Unlike you.....
                    I feel it reasonable to make this public, based on this and a couple of posts in the "Jose who?" thread. As well, all can learn from it.

Ralf, you're right and wrong in the same sentence. While mandrake has indeed called you out here in the thread, it was based on the frustration felt from a couple of your posts in the aforementioned thread. I'm not making excuses for publicly calling you out; I'm just pointing out the reasoning.

Originally posted by Ralf View Post
                    Haha, pure fantasy. Duda is known for being a quiet kid who is too hard on himself. How you took that and twisted into the above is laughable.
                    Had you said, "How that was twisted into the above is laughable," it would've been totally acceptable. But the minute the phrase "...you took that and..." enters the picture, the focus becomes partly aimed at the poster. So, even if the point you're making in your post is valid, the personalization tends to detract from the point because either the poster or someone reading the post can view it as it being directed at the poster. I'm sure the difference is evident.

------------

As for my thoughts on Duda, I have a friend who follows the Mets minor leagues more than... well, sometimes I think more than the Mets' scouts themselves. I first heard his name when he was first drafted and signed, and my friend made him sound like the next best thing since sliced bread. So, naturally, I've had high hopes for him since then. I even saw him play in MCU Park (when it was still Keyspan).

Obviously, things haven't panned out for him as well as anticipated, at least so far, neither offensive or defensively. In fact, I now see him as a fielder without a position. Perhaps it'd wouldn't be such a huge jump to consider him in a trade, maybe with an AL team where he could indeed be a DH. Of course, I still think the NL should catch up the rest of the world and finally institute the DH, but that's a debate for another time and place. But that type of deal may very well be in the best interests of both Duda and the Mets.
                    Put it in the books.

Comment

• pstein
                      Curmudgeon
                      • Sep 2010

Duda=DH. Defensive liability, mediocre average, good power. Trade him to the Rays for somebody.

Comment

• Paulypal
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by pstein View Post
                        Duda=DH. Defensive liability, mediocre average, good power. Trade him to the Rays for somebody.
                        The Rays dont need him. They have Upton, Jennings, Zobrist, and Joyce as OF'ers and a DH. Their firstbasemen is Pena...who hits for a low average with power...only difference is he has a great glove.

Comment

• LI METS FAN
                          • Oct 2008

I found this while looking for the Pujols comments. Heartwarming that you weren't always the way you are today! What happened to the old Mandrake?

Comment

• Paulypal
                            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

I found this while looking for the Pujols comments. Heartwarming that you weren't always the way you are today! What happened to the old Mandrake?
                            Pujols comments have been found -- you even got your own thread

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X