• Time
  • Show
Clear All

He looks like the real deal so far.
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

I take my HMS Pinafore/Dick Deadeye-style negativity and worry back...

For he himself hath said it,
      And it's greatly to his credit,
      That he is Our New Lead Man
      That he isssss Our New-ew-ew-ew Leeeeeeeaaaaad Maaaaaaan!
      "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

I think he's going to be this years Madison Bumgarner/Chris Sale with an upside to be a Cy-Young winner. I watched him today and he looks like the real deal.
        "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

This is too good to be true.
          The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Harvey can absolutely be a Cy Young winner. A lot of futurists pin a massive upside on Zack Wheeler, but he's never going to touch Harvey, in my view. Harvey is the real deal, the once in generation young starter. And a lot of it is mental toughness. He just won't give in.
            Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
              Harvey can absolutely be a Cy Young winner. A lot of futurists pin a massive upside on Zack Wheeler, but he's never going to touch Harvey, in my view. Harvey is the real deal, the once in generation young starter. And a lot of it is mental toughness. He just won't give in.
              Well we really don't know where Wheeler ends up or where Harvey ends up...but Harvey look every bit the ace. We can only hope Wheeler comes as advertised. Harvey just looks tough as hell out there.

Comment

Wow. I gotta watch his next start! I really like this guy, having picked him up early when he came up last year (on my fantasy team), and I drafted him this year! Best on my staff with names like Weaver, Dickey, Wainwright, Ryu and others. Keep it up Harvey!!!
                "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                  Well we really don't know where Wheeler ends up or where Harvey ends up...but Harvey look every bit the ace. We can only hope Wheeler comes as advertised. Harvey just looks tough as hell out there.
                  He has such a mound presence doesnt he? He is the anti-Pelfrey

Comment

Wheeler hasn't even had an MLB start yet, how can you say he won't touch Harvey? On what grounds do you say that?

Harvey's been great so far, no question, but that doesn't mean Wheeler won't be as good or better...we don't know...
                    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
                      Wheeler hasn't even had an MLB start yet, how can you say he won't touch Harvey? On what grounds do you say that?

Harvey's been great so far, no question, but that doesn't mean Wheeler won't be as good or better...we don't know...

Shea your missing the point of Straws agenda here. Wheeler was acquired by Alderson....Matt Harvey by Minaya or thereabouts. Its an Alderson/Minaya thing. You can actually insert Minaya's name when he talks about Harvey, and Wheelers name when he mentions Alderson.

Cmon Strawman...fess up.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                        Shea your missing the point of Straws agenda here. Wheeler was acquired by Alderson....Matt Harvey by Minaya or thereabouts. Its an Alderson/Minaya thing. You can actually insert Minaya's name when he talks about Harvey, and Wheelers name when he mentions Alderson.

Cmon Strawman...fess up.
                        Well both those things are true - Harvey was Minaya's guy and Alderson traded Beltran for Wheeler. I can't deny that part of it. But let's look at the players. Harvey does appear to be a lot farther along and his mental toughness is obvious. Wheeler is still a lottery ticket, he's Pulsipher et al. Maybe he'll be a great one. I dunno. Three minor signs this spring: that oblique strain, his decision to head hunt a teammate in an intra-squad game, and his poor start in Vegas (Backman says he needs more "needs more consistency and command.") Maybe throw in his goofy Twitter feed. Maybe they add up to nothing.

But if you're a betting man, Harvey is clearly here - and with evident maturity. Wheeler is still on the way, a work in progress.
                        Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

Maybe if his teammate didn't show him up then he wouldn't throw at him. I take that incident as a plus in his favor.

Comment

Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
                            Maybe if his teammate didn't show him up then he wouldn't throw at him. I take that incident as a plus in his favor.
                            And I do not. It's both punkish and stupid. Trying to hurt a teammate is a bad deal. If his name wasn't "Wheeler" it would count against him in any organization in baseball.

Now, he's been spoken to a disciplined - and maybe it's just a one time thing. We do tend to expect too much from very young guys.

Comment

Well both those things are true - Harvey was Minaya's guy and Alderson traded Beltran for Wheeler. I can't deny that part of it. But let's look at the players. Harvey does appear to be a lot farther along and his mental toughness is obvious. Wheeler is still a lottery ticket, he's Pulsipher et al. Maybe he'll be a great one. I dunno. Three minor signs this spring: that oblique strain, his decision to head hunt a teammate in an intra-squad game, and his poor start in Vegas (Backman says he needs more "needs more consistency and command.") Maybe throw in his goofy Twitter feed. Maybe they add up to nothing.

But if you're a betting man, Harvey is clearly here - and with evident maturity. Wheeler is still on the way, a work in progress.
                              Removing the GM biased I cant disagree with your opinion here. Harvey is here and pitching well....Wheeler isn't. I just don't see it as reflection on either GM.

A couple of weeks ago my computer had a virus....I am pretty sure it was Sandy Aldersons fault. Just saying.

Comment

And I do not. It's both punkish and stupid. Trying to hurt a teammate is a bad deal. If his name wasn't "Wheeler" it would count against him in any organization in baseball.

Now, he's been spoken to a disciplined - and maybe it's just a one time thing. We do tend to expect too much from very young guys.
                                Punkish and stupid is showing up a teammate. The other kid was talked to just as harshly as Wheeler. I would rather a pitcher with a mean streak and a warriors mentality (Bob Gibson, Juan Maracial, Randy Johnson, Curt Schilling, Roger Clemens) than a wilting daisy any day of the week.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X