Matt Harvey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by filihok View Post
    Did I say you did? I just re-read my post and I am pretty sure I didn't say that.

I'm also pretty sure you didn't answer my question. Why do you hope that never happens? I mean, you're always free to ignore those stats that you don't understand or don't like.
    My Lord. Ok I will play along. First of all I am pretty sure I get and understand all the stats. Pretty sure of that.

Second - do we need to know what balls were hit hard for outs....just like do we need to know what shots off the handle that broke the bat fell in. If someone like you needs to know that what would you do with that information?

Do you want to have a fielding leader that stole the most hits? If so - who scores its? Is it subjective? Should we have a "scaled the wall" catergory for OF'ers?

If I felt there was any value to such tracking I would be all over it. I dont. It more be just more overkill.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
      My Lord.
      No reason to address me as such.
      I find the feudal system to be, at best, outdated.

Do you want to have a fielding leader that stole the most hits?
      Not particularly no. I mean, Did I say I did? I just re-read my post and I am pretty sure I didn't say that.

I do see value in rating the defensive contributions of defenders. It might be nice to know which defensive players made the most difficult plays.

If so - who scores its? Is it subjective? Should we have a "scaled the wall" catergory for OF'ers?
      The ideal method would determine the position of the fielder as the batter makes contact with the ball. Then the trajectory of the batted ball would be measured as would the fielder's movement to get to the ball.

Second - do we need to know what balls were hit hard for outs....just like do we need to know what shots off the handle that broke the bat fell in. If someone like you needs to know that what would you do with that information?
      Why do we need to know how many home runs any player hits? Or doubles? Or anything?
      Knowing specifics about batted balls would allow greater accuracy in predicting future performance.
      Suppose:
      Player A: 600 AB's. 200 hits. 150 hits were hit in such a way that there was a 99% probability that they would result in a hit. The other 50 hits were in in such a way that they only had a 50% probability of resulting in a hit.
      Player B: 600 AB's. 200 hits. 180 hits were hit in such a way that there was a 99% probability that they would result in a hit. They other 20 hits were in such a way that they only had a 50% probability of resulting in a hit.

I'd certainly predict Player B for more hits in the future. All other things being equal, of course.

If I felt there was any value to such tracking I would be all over it. I dont. It more be just more overkill.
      It may be possible that things, including information, have different value to different individuals.

Comment

My Lord.
        Originally posted by filihok View Post
        No reason to address me as such.
        That made me chuckle.
        "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

• This hit is just like any other, right?

Oa4e5Mr.gif

Comment

• Originally posted by filihok View Post
            This hit is just like any other, right?
            IMO, that's an error but of a mental sort without making contact with the ball. An experienced 1B would see Harvey's angle to the ball and would have covered the bag.
            "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

• He can actually get a no-dec right now with bases loaded. Only takes one swing off a tired arm.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
                IMO, that's an error but of a mental sort without making contact with the ball. An experienced 1B would see Harvey's angle to the ball and would have covered the bag.
                Agreed a mental error for sure.

Comment

Agreed a mental error for sure.
                  Because you're smart like me lol

Comment

• Originally posted by VIBaseball View Post
                    How would an analytical framework account for somebody like Jim Palmer (admittedly a most unusual pitcher), who took it upon himself to help position his own fielders, and (anecdotally) helped get outs that way? Or the influence of a manager in this area, which would be more common?
                    Given a large enough sample size, we can compare a pitcher's BABIP compared to his mates. And much of that BABIP ability for Palmer (for whatever reason) is captured in WAR.
                    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

• Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
                      Given a large enough sample size, we can compare a pitcher's BABIP compared to his mates. And much of that BABIP ability for Palmer (for whatever reason) is captured in WAR.
                      except that a pitcher with zero wins can have a positive "WAR" which I guess makes statistical sense even if it does not make logical sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by EasilyFound View Post
                        except that a pitcher with zero wins can have a positive "WAR" which I guess makes statistical sense even if it does not make logical sense.
                        Of course, but with a large enough sample size, you ill see solid correlation between wins and WAR. Obviously over time good pitchers win more games than mediocre or poor ones. Nobody has suggested otherwise.

Comment

• matt get the win
                          and is still on track according to the ny press to
                          start the 2013 all-star game at home
                          sigpic

Comment

• Good win for Harvey (finally he gets enough offense to win another one) and now...we wait for Wheeler...
                            "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

• Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
                              Good win for Harvey (finally he gets enough offense to win another one) and now...we wait for Wheeler...
                              you guys will be calling him "Deeler" after his start tonight. Book it Dano.

Comment

• Originally posted by drdg View Post
                                matt get the win
                                and is still on track according to the ny press to
                                start the 2013 all-star game at home
                                If Adam Wainwright is 12-4 with a 2.3 ERA (compared to say 7-2 with a 2.1 ERA) - I wonder if the traditionalist NY fans who prefer Wins as their go-to stat will still feel Harvery should start? Or will context then become important?
                                Last edited by Bothrops Atrox; 06-18-2013, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X