• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• matt Harvey has just be name the ASG starter
    sigpic

Comment

• I'd said this a couple months ago:

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
      She's doing well but I wouldn't call her a supermodel. That's a degree of success on a whole other level.

I don't begrudge Harvey the spoils of success off the diamond, but one of the things I like about paying attention to baseball is it's a way of avoiding the money/celebrity/power mating dance media forces us to look at everywhere else. I've always given Jeter and A-Rod a big demerit for injecting their celebrity hook-ups into my consciousness. I hope Harvey doesn't follow their lead.
      And...

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/...eMFdoeBc2SMbCO

Mets' Harvey says he envies Jeter's prowess with beautiful women

POST STAFF REPORT
      Last Updated: 3:33 PM, July 17, 2013
      Posted: 2:09 PM, July 17, 2013

Matt Harvey envies Derek Jeter – especially when it comes to the ladies.

The Mets pitching phenom told Men’s Journal that he wants the kind of love life Jeter has had for years in New York City, complete with the gorgeous celebrities and uncanny privacy.

"That guy is the model," Harvey said. "I mean, first off, let's just look at the women he's dated. Obviously, he goes out – he's meeting these girls somewhere – but you never hear about it. That's where I want to be."

Harvey isn't doing too badly in that department -- he's currently dating Sports Illustrated swimsuit model Anne Vyalitsyna. Though he hasn't exactly kept things as quiet as Jeter with Anne V joining Harvey on his All-Star Parade on Tuesday. Also, Jeter never posed nude for ESPN's "Body Issue," like the Mets ace did.

Harvey, who lives in the East Village, is enjoying the Manhattan lifestyle with plenty of fancy restaurants, clubs, bars and parties. The 24-year-old does say he doesn’t drink 48 hours before a start.

“But those other days? Yes, I'm gonna go out,” he said. “If I was locked up in my house all week, I don't know what I'd be like on the baseball field."

Harvey, originally from Connecticut, is still on his rookie contract, but he’s likely to sign a lucrative extension with the Mets some time soon. The team would be crazy to let go of the fireballing right-hander, who started Tuesday night’s All-Star Game at Citi Field and threw 2 1/3 shutout innings.

"No matter what, New York is now my home," he says, finishing the night's last drink. "I could buy a place now, but I've gotta wait for that $200 million contract. If I'm going to buy an apartment, it has to be the best apartment in the city."

That competitiveness certainly extends off the field. The 6-foot-4, 225-pound Harvey has befriended Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist, noted for his stylish clothing, and high-end John Varvatos has become one of Harvey’s favorite stores.

"He always makes the best-dressed lists," Harvey said of Lundqvist. "Well, I want to be on those lists."

The list of baseball’s best pitchers is not enough. Along with Rangers like Lundqvist and Brian Boyle, Harvey hangs out in the city with finance and marketing 20-somethings.

"Baseball is my job, and I love it," Harvey said. "But it can't be the only thing I've got going on."

If I was his age and had the opportunity I might feel the same way, but hopefully I'd have the savvy to keep quiet about it. As I recall Jeter's never said anything about this type of thing, which is probably why he's been able to evade some radar, though certainly not all: google "Jeter STD" and you'll get plenty of hits. You'll even get graphs and trees tracing alleged transmission.

Outside of Babe Ruth I've always found ballplayers on the prowl personally unappealing. I also pay attention to baseball partly to get away from hearing about fame, money, women, etc. I can't be alone. Harvey's reps need to tell him to pipe down and keep a lower personal profile - learn from Jeter who in my memory never says anything of substance in an interview.

The idea the Wilpons will ever give him a $200 million dollars was good for comic relief in an otherwise displeasing article. Maybe Harvey gets that since he's not buying an apartment in New York just yet.
      Last edited by Mongoose; 07-17-2013, 07:13 PM.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• Harvey was awesome. Get that blister out of the way, put in your 210 innings and take the rest of the year off. He'll be sharp for 2014.
        "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
          If I was his age and had the opportunity I might feel the same way, but hopefully I'd have the savvy to keep quiet about it. As I recall Jeter's never said anything about this type of thing, which is probably why he's been able to evade some radar, though certainly not all: google "Jeter STD" and you'll get plenty of hits. You'll even get graphs and trees tracing alleged transmission.

Outside of Babe Ruth I've always found ballplayers on the prowl personally unappealing. I also pay attention to baseball partly to get away from hearing about fame, money, women, etc. I can't be alone. Harvey's reps need to tell him to pipe down and keep a lower personal profile - learn from Jeter who in my memory never says anything of substance in an interview.

The idea the Wilpons will ever give him a $200 million dollars was good for comic relief in an otherwise displeasing article. Maybe Harvey gets that since he's not buying an apartment in New York just yet.
          I was going to post something about wishing he'd tone it down, but you beat me to it. He's a young exhuberant guy and doesn't seem to realize how unbecoming it is to be talking about a $200M contract and the Jeter thing when he's just getting started. Conversely Wright's known how to handle himself from the get-go and should clue him in; it would be a favor.

Seaver began at 22 and won the WS at 24; Gooden had the the best year of his career at 20 and won the WS at 21 (not that he pitched well in it). Good as he is at 24, Harvey is actually getting a late start in a way. Would like to see him focus his words and actions on how hard he plans to work to get even better, and leave out the parts about planning to live the good life.

Comment

• I don't begrudge young Harvey the good times, but there's just a hint of too much, too soon (to quote the NY Dolls) about all the attention (which he clearly digs).

He does seem focused on the game, though. And he's not really doing anything the third baseman hasn't done, btw.
            Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister B. View Post
              I was going to post something about wishing he'd tone it down, but you beat me to it. He's a young exhuberant guy and doesn't seem to realize how unbecoming it is to be talking about a $200M contract and the Jeter thing when he's just getting started. Conversely Wright's known how to handle himself from the get-go and should clue him in; it would be a favor.

Seaver began at 22 and won the WS at 24; Gooden had the the best year of his career at 20 and won the WS at 21 (not that he pitched well in it). Good as he is at 24, Harvey is actually getting a late start in a way. Would like to see him focus his words and actions on how hard he plans to work to get even better, and leave out the parts about planning to live the good life.
              Totally agree, but that may be partially why the Mets got him in 2010 in the first place, instead of him signing with the Angels in 2007. He wanted to get a car and put $1mil in the bank and the Angels didn't offer him enough to do that.
              He seems to be goal-specific, which hopefully works out for him and the Mets.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post
                I don't begrudge young Harvey the good times, but there's just a hint of too much, too soon (to quote the NY Dolls) about all the attention (which he clearly digs).

He does seem focused on the game, though. And he's not really doing anything the third baseman hasn't done, btw.
                I have no problem of him reaping the benefits of his accomplishments. Be it women, money...whatever. Where he is going to grind on people in a negative way is his expectation of these benefits publicly.

Jeter, and Wright never flaunted what they did nor did they talk about the expectation of money.

I just hope Harvey keeps his head screwed on right. Those of us old enough to remember know that we were robbed of two HOF Met players because they couldnt fly straight.

Honestly he seem so driven that I am not worried about him getting derailed. He just needs to pipe down.

Comment

• Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
                  Came this close to buying A home pinstripe Harvey jersey at Mo's today.
                  Should have gone with the snow whites instead.

The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Pretty sure it was this thread, but maybe not. Anyway, what is going on now is why I had asked folks to remember that this guy hasn't even pitched a full year yet. He deserves praise for what he's done, but just remember he ain't being doing it for too long. A lot can happen. A lot.

Comment

• Yes we all know he has room for improvement but why rush him?

Comment

• it is not about room for improvement. it is about performing consistently over the long haul and not being a flash in the pan.

Comment

• Originally posted by EasilyFound View Post
                          it is not about room for improvement. it is about performing consistently over the long haul and not being a flash in the pan.
                          Of course, but people have to live in the present.

Mark Fidrych was a relative flash in the pan but I bet you recognized his name. His fans were happy seeing him pitch for whatever time he had.
                          Derek Lowe just announced his retirement after 17 years. Today people aren't lighting up this board with reflection on his long career, they've already judged him over the years. He had a long haul.

No matter what happens in the future, I am enjoying the 2013 Matt Harvey.
                          Last edited by LI METS FAN; 07-19-2013, 06:22 AM.

Comment

• matt-harvey.jpg
                            My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                            2. Barry Bonds
                            3. Ty Cobb
                            4. Ted Williams
                            5. Willie Mays
                            6. Alex Rodriguez
                            7. Hank Aaron
                            8. Honus Wagner
                            9. Lou Gehrig
                            10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
                              Of course, but people have to live in the present.

Mark Fidrych was a relative flash in the pan but I bet you recognized his name. His fans were happy seeing him pitch for whatever time he had.
                              Derek Lowe just announced his retirement after 17 years. Today people aren't lighting up this board with reflection on his long career, they've already judged him over the years. He had a long haul.

No matter what happens in the future, I am enjoying the 2013 Matt Harvey.

Hmmm...Derek Lowe. There's a name that the pom-pon squad should recall. There were many people trashing Lowe back around 2009 when Lowe wanted $60 million for 4 years, and the Mets instead signed Ollie (yes, that Ollie) for 3 years for $36 million. Plenty of folks posting how signing Ollie was such a better investment, blah blah blah.

But, true to form for many Mets fans on this forum, they were just cheering on the front office and the laundry the player was wearing. Ollie actually only won 3 games for that $36 million dollars of Mets money; Lowe won 49 games for his $60 million. Maybe Lowe was not worth that contract in hindsight, but he sure was worthe a lot more than Ollie was ! Ironically, some of the same forum members who applauded signing Ollie were soon demanding that he be released when he did not want to go to AAA. But, when folks are blinded by the laundry, one can't let facts get in the way of a good story.

I think Harvey will be around for a long time. Is he Seaver? Not yet. But he could turn out to be. I'd be happy if he even became a Koosman. Those type of guys don't come along often.

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                                Hmmm...Derek Lowe. There's a name that the pom-pon squad should recall. There were many people trashing Lowe back around 2009 when Lowe wanted $60 million for 4 years, and the Mets instead signed Ollie (yes, that Ollie) for 3 years for $36 million. Plenty of folks posting how signing Ollie was such a better investment, blah blah blah.

But, true to form for many Mets fans on this forum, they were just cheering on the front office and the laundry the player was wearing. Ollie actually only won 3 games for that $36 million dollars of Mets money; Lowe won 49 games for his $60 million. Maybe Lowe was not worth that contract in hindsight, but he sure was worthe a lot more than Ollie was ! Ironically, some of the same forum members who applauded signing Ollie were soon demanding that he be released when he did not want to go to AAA. But, when folks are blinded by the laundry, one can't let facts get in the way of a good story.

I think Harvey will be around for a long time. Is he Seaver? Not yet. But he could turn out to be. I'd be happy if he even became a Koosman. Those type of guys don't come along often.
                                Lowe: I think they Mets were gun-shy about giving a $60M, four-year deal to a pitcher, after getting burned on most of the Pedro Martinez deal. The Braves were willing to overpay for Lowe after John Smoltz embarrassed them by going to Boston after being with Atlanta for 21 seasons. So, they pulled the trigger and the gun-shy Mets did not. Could've used those extra 46 wins (not that it would've been 46 in New York.)

Ollie: He started Game 7 against St. Louis in 2006 with everything on the line and did OK. Won 15 games in 2007. Had a bad first half in 2008, but a good second half, ended up with 10 wins. Started the last game ever at Shea with everything on the line and did OK. So, they crossed their fingers and hoped for the best. Blew up in their faces. What're you gonna do.

Harvey: Those type of guys don't come along often? No, they don't. For sure, not here. I hope this works out.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X