Matt Harvey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Tim Rohan of the NY Times on Sept 15th-

"Much, of course, is riding on Harvey’s right elbow. For that reason, Dr. Craig Levitz, the chief of orthopedic surgery at South Nassau Communities Hospital, said Harvey was right to take his time to decide. Levitz spent a year training under Andrews and has performed dozens of these operations alongside him.

At the appointment Monday, Levitz said, Andrews will determine if the ligament is stable. To do that, Andrews will place his hands on either side of Harvey’s elbow, one below and one above, and push his forearm and biceps in opposite directions.

A healthy U.C.L. is taut, Levitz said, and a partly torn U.C.L. is loose, which makes it unstable. If Harvey’s U.C.L. is unstable, when Andrews pushes on his forearm and biceps, there will be a space between the bones. This is where Andrews’s expertise comes in. He has seen so many of these injuries, Levitz said, that Andrews can diagnose, to the millimeter, how unstable the ligament is.

“He can tell if it’s three millimeter, two millimeters, one,” Levitz said.

That test should influence Andrews’s diagnosis. If the ligament is unstable, the discussion will be over, Levitz said. Harvey would be wasting his time rehabilitating it. But if it is stable, Levitz added, “I think you’d be foolish not to rehab it.”

Harvey has said his ligament is stable.

Comment

• Let's hope he can come back and pitch in 2014... the staff has been full of "has beens" and "never weres" since he was hurt.

Comment

• Tommy John surgery for Matt Harvey.

I was hoping he could avoid it. Anytime someone has surgery there's a risk.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• I'm sad I won't get to see him pitch next year, but it was probably the right call...

TJ surgery has a good turnaround history, at least in recent years, and it'd be worse if he pitched and ruined his career in a year where we likely won't contend anyway.

Better for him to have the surgery, let Niese/Wheeler/Gee settle into their spots in the rotation, and let us focus on Montero/Torres/Syndergaard to call up or trade while looking for bats...

And then maybe, just MAYBE we'll have the pieces in place to at least THINK about making a postseason run in 2015.

If nothing else, we'll get a better look at how Wheeler deals with being the "hot New York pitcher in the spotlight." Harvey (overall) handled it well...let's see how Wheeler does.
          "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
            From Tim Rohan of the NY Times on Sept 15th-

"Much, of course, is riding on Harvey’s right elbow. For that reason, Dr. Craig Levitz, the chief of orthopedic surgery at South Nassau Communities Hospital, said Harvey was right to take his time to decide. Levitz spent a year training under Andrews and has performed dozens of these operations alongside him.

At the appointment Monday, Levitz said, Andrews will determine if the ligament is stable. To do that, Andrews will place his hands on either side of Harvey’s elbow, one below and one above, and push his forearm and biceps in opposite directions.

A healthy U.C.L. is taut, Levitz said, and a partly torn U.C.L. is loose, which makes it unstable. If Harvey’s U.C.L. is unstable, when Andrews pushes on his forearm and biceps, there will be a space between the bones. This is where Andrews’s expertise comes in. He has seen so many of these injuries, Levitz said, that Andrews can diagnose, to the millimeter, how unstable the ligament is.

“He can tell if it’s three millimeter, two millimeters, one,” Levitz said.

That test should influence Andrews’s diagnosis. If the ligament is unstable, the discussion will be over, Levitz said. Harvey would be wasting his time rehabilitating it. But if it is stable, Levitz added, “I think you’d be foolish not to rehab it.”

Harvey has said his ligament is stable.

Thankfully Harvey seems to be following his head and not his heart. Let's hope the surgery is a success !

Comment

• I know NYC for a young guy with a lot of $$$ is a great scene, and it worked for a guy like Joe Namath, but I am getting a feeling (just my own gut feeling) that I wish Harvey would be a bit more Derek Jeter-ish as far as the NYC night life and a little less A-Rod-ish.

I'm sure Jeter did not spend too many lonely nights in NYC, but he seemed to stay out of the Page 6 type of headlines that A-Roid loved to bask in.

Not yet saying Harvey is flying too much with the jet set, but .....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...h-romance.html

And that’s just general admission. If you want the full treatment — and hang with the models or the Mets’ injured star Matt Harvey in a private cabana — it’ll cost you $30,000.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...#ixzz2sLyQ3JVl

I'm old enough to remember when the 1979 Rangers went to the cup finals , and the next season all they did was hang out at Studio 54......I'm just hoping Harvey keeps a level head.

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                I know NYC for a young guy with a lot of $$$ is a great scene, and it worked for a guy like Joe Namath, but I am getting a feeling (just my own gut feeling) that I wish Harvey would be a bit more Derek Jeter-ish as far as the NYC night life and a little less A-Rod-ish.

I'm sure Jeter did not spend too many lonely nights in NYC, but he seemed to stay out of the Page 6 type of headlines that A-Roid loved to bask in.

Not yet saying Harvey is flying too much with the jet set, but .....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...h-romance.html

And that’s just general admission. If you want the full treatment — and hang with the models or the Mets’ injured star Matt Harvey in a private cabana — it’ll cost you $30,000.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...#ixzz2sLyQ3JVl

I'm old enough to remember when the 1979 Rangers went to the cup finals , and the next season all they did was hang out at Studio 54......I'm just hoping Harvey keeps a level head.

I wonder if Harvey gets a piece of the cabana profits? He is making ML minimum and having an active, modelizing, Manhattan lifestyle can strain that kind of income. Bar tabs can be shocking, though I'd be shocked if Harvey buys his own drinks much. I don't really approve of Jeter's "lifestyle" either:

http://network.yardbarker.com/mlb/ar...nal_head_23063

If I was in that sort of position I'd hope for a more stay-at-home, Tom Seaver lifestyle. One would hope the allure exhausts itself after a little while. The team has bigger problems, though.

Comment

• Here's something interesting:

http://nypost.com/2014/03/09/mets-to-harvey-focus/

Mets send message to Harvey with new media rules

By Kevin Kernan

March 9, 2014 | 9:15pm

PORT ST. LUCIE — Make no mistake, in his own mind Matt Harvey still believes he will pitch in 2014 for the Mets. He is just not tweeting it. And Sunday, the Mets told Harvey they do not want him doing individual interviews at this juncture of the comeback game.

A team spokesperson said for the time being, Harvey only will do “group interviews’’ simply because the team wants to temper expectations and Harvey’s rehab program remains the same for the time being, four days a week of making 20 throws at 60 feet.

“We’re looking to have him ready to go for 2015,’’ general manager Sandy Alderson told the Post Sunday. “There is no looking to have him ready for ’14.’’

Alderson is sticking to his guns that the story of 2014 is not Matt Harvey, something he announced the first day he showed up to watch pre-camp in early February. If Harvey is somehow Super Rehab Man and makes an earlier recovery from October’s Tommy John surgery, the GM will take it, but in no way is he expecting it or pushing Harvey in that direction.

When I saw Harvey in the clubhouse Sunday I said to him, “So you’ve been shut down verbally, too.’’

He smiled and said, “Apparently.’’

It’s not easy to silence a strong personality.

In reference to a “Noah (Syndergaard) Day’’ tweet on Saturday, Harvey tweeted out: “2014 Harvey day will happen.’’

It was just his way to let the world know Harvey Day this season remains a strong possibility in his mind.

The tweet was later deleted.

Such tweets might be a form of motivation for Harvey. And that’s a good thing.

Tweets can be controlled. Injuries can’t. They happen. When they do, it takes so much energy for a player to come back from such a serious injury, and whatever works as motivation is a go in my book.

I guess the Mets don't want anyone interfering with the excellent job they do of projecting the "right" image.

Comment

• There is something creepy about shutting down his tweets and interviews. It seems very Kremlinesque. OTOH is it that different than any other line of work? Loathe them all we want they still sign his paychecks.

Comment

• I don't mind the Mets asking Harvey to let the team decide when he will pitch, and letting the team give out official information.

I also wonder if Harvey has already decided he would rather be an A-Roid type guy getting his picture on Page 6 with some playmates. Maybe he can handle that and be an All Star at the same time. Some guys can handle it, like Jeter or Namath, some guys can't.

I remember when the NY Rangers had Beck, and Greschner, and Dugay, and Murdoch all over the papers with girls galore...hanging out in Studio 54 and always 'being seen'. Meanwhile a group of boring guys on Long Island named Nystrom, Trottier, Bossy, and Gillies were winning cup after cup.

Comment

• I get that he wants to pitch, and love that he is dying to get back out there. I also know that his desire to pitch is overtaking his common sense.

He cant keep going off spewing how he is going to defy the odds, and the team. Basically - SHUT UP. I have no problem with the Mets hitting the off button - I wish Harvey had enough sense to the do the same thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                          I don't mind the Mets asking Harvey to let the team decide when he will pitch, and letting the team give out official information.

I also wonder if Harvey has already decided he would rather be an A-Roid type guy getting his picture on Page 6 with some playmates. Maybe he can handle that and be an All Star at the same time. Some guys can handle it, like Jeter or Namath, some guys can't.

I remember when the NY Rangers had Beck, and Greschner, and Dugay, and Murdoch all over the papers with girls galore...hanging out in Studio 54 and always 'being seen'. Meanwhile a group of boring guys on Long Island named Nystrom, Trottier, Bossy, and Gillies were winning cup after cup.
                          Rangers/Isles is a very good analogy. True superstars do not need to tweet about themselves, they have others to do that for them. Reminds me of a old phrase " don't toot your own horn". Corny, but it makes a lot of sense.

Comment

• More on Harvey yesterday. Looks like he wants to rehab with the big team this year instead of St. Lucie. I hope his 1st thought is whats best for his arm, not his social life. Also some push back from in regards to individual interviews. He has the right to do whatever he wants but he is setting himself up to be misquoted by the media. Maybe Jeter should sit him down and have a little talk with him. His wish to be like Jeter may be for all the wrong reasons. I really hope someone can give him some good advise. He seems to be making some wrong choices and is to valuable to go up in smoke.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
                              More on Harvey yesterday. Looks like he wants to rehab with the big team this year instead of St. Lucie. I hope his 1st thought is whats best for his arm, not his social life. Also some push back from in regards to individual interviews. He has the right to do whatever he wants but he is setting himself up to be misquoted by the media. Maybe Jeter should sit him down and have a little talk with him. His wish to be like Jeter may be for all the wrong reasons. I really hope someone can give him some good advise. He seems to be making some wrong choices and is to valuable to go up in smoke.
                              Is it me or is Harvey becoming unlikeable? I don't like reading about athletes in non sports related articles. I really wish he would just go rehab himself ....quietly.... and come back pitch the way he can. All of this other stuff is nothing but a distraction for him. I hope he matures before he realized he wasted a great career.

On the other side of the coin....He seems to be determined to be a great pitcher. I just hope he doesn't take that for granted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                                Is it me or is Harvey becoming unlikeable? I don't like reading about athletes in non sports related articles. I really wish he would just go rehab himself ....quietly.... and come back pitch the way he can. All of this other stuff is nothing but a distraction for him. I hope he matures before he realized he wasted a great career.

On the other side of the coin....He seems to be determined to be a great pitcher. I just hope he doesn't take that for granted.
                                I kinda of like him more, lining up against Jeff and Sandy and the insane Mets org culture, to be honest!

His rationale for wanting to train with the team makes pretty good sense. Why do we want him to go rehab quietly anyway?
                                Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X