Matt Harvey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
    Free MRI's in NY makes sense if Niese also gets free airfare and free car service to and from the airport.
    Most likely it's all free - or they fly him on the cheap like Omar Minaya:

http://deadspin.com/5629806/omar-min...h-gets-heckled

Omar Minaya Flies Coach, Gets Heckled

Barry Petchesky

9/03/10 4:30pm

The beleaguered Mets GM probably figured 36,000 feet high would be a safe place to escape his critics and watch 27 Dresses on a 10-inch screen. He was wrong.

Reader Jason sends in this photo, along with the backstory:

So I'm settling into my seat on a VERY inexpensive Jetblue flight to Chicago to see the Mets in Wrigley when I notice the flight attendant having a hard time closing the overhead compartment because of someone's bag. After she sheepishly looks around for the culprit—he identifies himself. Since everyone was already seated and ready to fly, the apparently inconsiderate passenger was on stage for all to see. It was none other than Omar Minaya himself. What I didn't say before is that this flight is CRAWLING with Mets fans making the pligramage to Wrigely. At once the plane is abuzz. One young man in 18A shouts out "I woulda traded frenchy three months ago" another says "Better live it up, this is probably your last flight to chicago as GM". Delighted by the impromptu celebrity roast I chimed in with "I bet they flew Mike Jacobs in business class, at least". We all laughed in unison—he sat down and put his headphones on, a defeated man.

We wonder if he was able to find a power bat in the SkyMall catalog.

As we've seen, the team's choices are often not in the best interests of their employees. Just because management wants to do something doesn't make it right. After 28 years of running a dysfunctional organization they have no credibility. In the case of Harvey they have no legal right either. The CBA allows him to rehab where he chooses.

The controversy and weirdness are all coming from the Wilpon organization, as usual.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• Harvey to rehab in NY until he gets closer to coming back then he goes to PSL. Just get better Harvey!!

Comment

• Am I the only one who thinks Harvey's comment about the team not protecting Wright going to create problems between him and his teammates? I know if I was a pitcher on that team I would be offended by those comments. I watch most games and see Wright being pitched inside but not being thrown at. This is not the first time Harvey has went out of his way to say something or do something to draw attention to himself. I love the way he pitches but really wish he would just rehab and keep his mouth shut.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
          Am I the only one who thinks Harvey's comment about the team not protecting Wright going to create problems between him and his teammates? I know if I was a pitcher on that team I would be offended by those comments. I watch most games and see Wright being pitched inside but not being thrown at. This is not the first time Harvey has went out of his way to say something or do something to draw attention to himself. I love the way he pitches but really wish he would just rehab and keep his mouth shut.
          I agree with you. Completely !The place to address this was in the dugout or in the club house. Definitely not something to discuss in the media, unless a player just wants his name in the paper to show he is relevant.

If Wright thought he was getting buzzed, it is up to Wright to say it in the clubhouse. I see nothing wrong with pitchers coming inside; I don't advocate hitting someone in the head. I had said during the recent Giants series that if I were a SF pitcher, I'd would be pitching Wright inside to push him off the plate. Bob Gibson claimed he did it every single at bat when Frank Robinson faced him. And the next time up, Frank would still have his elbows over the plate. Robinson never told the Cincy pitchers to fight his battles. He did it himself.

I like Harvey on the mound a lot. I don't really like him off the mound. I don't need to see him at the Garden, or in the latest night club, etc.

There is also the small matter that players on other teams read what Harvey says. I doubt too many players are trembling. There may even be some who will challenge Harvey to throw at them. Guys like Drysdale, Gibson, Koosman never made threats or issued statements......hitters KNEW what was coming.

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post
            I agree with you. Completely !The place to address this was in the dugout or in the club house. Definitely not something to discuss in the media, unless a player just wants his name in the paper to show he is relevant.

If Wright thought he was getting buzzed, it is up to Wright to say it in the clubhouse. I see nothing wrong with pitchers coming inside; I don't advocate hitting someone in the head. I had said during the recent Giants series that if I were a SF pitcher, I'd would be pitching Wright inside to push him off the plate. Bob Gibson claimed he did it every single at bat when Frank Robinson faced him. And the next time up, Frank would still have his elbows over the plate. Robinson never told the Cincy pitchers to fight his battles. He did it himself.

I like Harvey on the mound a lot. I don't really like him off the mound. I don't need to see him at the Garden, or in the latest night club, etc.

There is also the small matter that players on other teams read what Harvey says. I doubt too many players are trembling. There may even be some who will challenge Harvey to throw at them. Guys like Drysdale, Gibson, Koosman never made threats or issued statements......hitters KNEW what was coming.
            Harvey has believed his own press clippings since day 1. He has a world of talent but he shouldn't be mouthing off about his teammates.

I bolded in your post exactly what I feel.

Comment

• Sounds like Harvey is going to be subjected to a version of the Joba Rules:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...h-deep-october

GM Alderson lays out Harvey plan
              Updated: November 18, 2014, 4:44 PM ET
              By Adam Rubin | ESPNNewYork.com

NEW YORK -- If the New York Mets reach the postseason in 2015, returning ace Matt Harvey will not face a Stephen Strasburg-like shutdown.

General manager Sandy Alderson said Tuesday that Harvey's in-season innings will be managed in order to keep him available to pitch deep into October without reaching an innings cap.

Harvey underwent Tommy John surgery Oct. 22, 2013.

Alderson shared his ideas with Harvey within the past few days and suggested the right-hander is in agreement.

The Washington Nationals created drama in 2012 by shutting down Strasburg in early September, in his first full season back from Tommy John surgery. Washington, without Strasburg, was eliminated by the St. Louis Cardinals in the NL Division Series that year.

Alderson said Harvey will be in the rotation from the start of the 2015 season. Curtailing Harvey's innings will be accomplished by strategically using off days to skip Harvey starts throughout the year.

Alderson said he also could foresee one of the organization's young pitchers -- Noah Syndergaard, Rafael Montero, Cory Mazzoni or Steven Matz -- being called up from Triple-A on occasion for a spot start in place of Harvey and then immediately returned to the minors.

According to the GM, there will not be a formal six-man rotation, though.

Alderson added that Harvey could get a two-week shutdown at some point during the middle of the season, perhaps tied to the All-Star break. The Mets did a similar thing with Jacob deGrom last season while he was dealing with a mild shoulder issue, and the right-hander came back energized en route to earning the NL Rookie of the Year Award.

Alderson said Harvey will have a "soft" innings cap rather than a strict number. The GM added that Harvey, who logged 178 1/3 innings in 2013, will be 18 months post-surgery by the time the season arrives -- a very conservative rehab period.

"We can probably accomplish all of the things we need to by managing his starts in the rotation," Alderson said.

Harvey currently is lightly throwing on flat ground. A Manhattan resident, he works out a few times a week at Citi Field.

I think they'll keep Syndergaard at AAA until the Super 2 deadline and then maybe go 6 man after. The schedule is lighter earlier in the year anyway.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                Sounds like Harvey is going to be subjected to a version of the Joba Rules:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...h-deep-october

GM Alderson lays out Harvey plan
                Updated: November 18, 2014, 4:44 PM ET
                By Adam Rubin | ESPNNewYork.com

NEW YORK -- If the New York Mets reach the postseason in 2015, returning ace Matt Harvey will not face a Stephen Strasburg-like shutdown.

General manager Sandy Alderson said Tuesday that Harvey's in-season innings will be managed in order to keep him available to pitch deep into October without reaching an innings cap.

Harvey underwent Tommy John surgery Oct. 22, 2013.

Alderson shared his ideas with Harvey within the past few days and suggested the right-hander is in agreement.

The Washington Nationals created drama in 2012 by shutting down Strasburg in early September, in his first full season back from Tommy John surgery. Washington, without Strasburg, was eliminated by the St. Louis Cardinals in the NL Division Series that year.

Alderson said Harvey will be in the rotation from the start of the 2015 season. Curtailing Harvey's innings will be accomplished by strategically using off days to skip Harvey starts throughout the year.

Alderson said he also could foresee one of the organization's young pitchers -- Noah Syndergaard, Rafael Montero, Cory Mazzoni or Steven Matz -- being called up from Triple-A on occasion for a spot start in place of Harvey and then immediately returned to the minors.

According to the GM, there will not be a formal six-man rotation, though.

Alderson added that Harvey could get a two-week shutdown at some point during the middle of the season, perhaps tied to the All-Star break. The Mets did a similar thing with Jacob deGrom last season while he was dealing with a mild shoulder issue, and the right-hander came back energized en route to earning the NL Rookie of the Year Award.

Alderson said Harvey will have a "soft" innings cap rather than a strict number. The GM added that Harvey, who logged 178 1/3 innings in 2013, will be 18 months post-surgery by the time the season arrives -- a very conservative rehab period.

"We can probably accomplish all of the things we need to by managing his starts in the rotation," Alderson said.

Harvey currently is lightly throwing on flat ground. A Manhattan resident, he works out a few times a week at Citi Field.

I think they'll keep Syndergaard at AAA until the Super 2 deadline and then maybe go 6 man after. The schedule is lighter earlier in the year anyway.

I totally disagree with this whole approach.

I say if your worried about his workload, and I get that, then bring Harvey up in June and let him pitch on regular rest. He doesnt have to start the season. This idea that they can skip starts and then shut him down for two weeks during the season is just stupid.....very f'n stupid.

Start him in June.

Players/athletes are not robots. You dont turn them on and off like a light switch and expect them to work at full capacity. Athletes are creatures of habit and need a routine. This idea of no routine, no schedule is just plain stupid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                  I totally disagree with this whole approach.

I say if your worried about his workload, and I get that, then bring Harvey up in June and let him pitch on regular rest. He doesnt have to start the season. This idea that they can skip starts and then shut him down for two weeks during the season is just stupid.....very f'n stupid.

Start him in June.

Players/athletes are not robots. You dont turn them on and off like a light switch and expect them to work at full capacity. Athletes are creatures of habit and need a routine. This idea of no routine, no schedule is just plain stupid.
                  Agree with you on this. Opening Day has become way too important for some teams. Even if he came back in May - 5-6 weeks later - that would be fine.
                  Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Harvey pitched in his first spring training game today. He pitched two perfect innings with 25 pitches, no hits or walks with three strikeouts.

http://espn.go.com/newyork/mlb/story...t-return-mound
                    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                      Harvey pitched in his first spring training game today. He pitched two perfect innings with 25 pitches, no hits or walks with three strikeouts.

http://espn.go.com/newyork/mlb/story...t-return-mound
                      He hit 99 on the gun also. So far so good

Comment

• The Matt Harvey thread discussing Matt Harvey pitching.
                        Best news possible.

Comment

The Matt Harvey thread discussing Matt Harvey pitching.
                          Best news possible.
                          Amen to that.

Comment

The Matt Harvey thread discussing Matt Harvey pitching.
                            Best news possible.
                            Agree with that!
                            Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Matt Harvey pitched his first major league game since 2013 today. He pitched six shutout innings with nine strikeouts and one walk. He scattered four hits in 91 pitches.

It was particularly nice to see Harvey strikeout Bryce Harper three times.

Comment

• Ken Rosenthal:

Former Mets GM Omar Minaya recalls the moment he knew he wanted to draft right-hander Matt Harvey — and it came on a day that Harvey got pounded while pitching for the University of North Carolina.

The date was April 16, 2010. Harvey, pitching on the road at Miami, allowed seven runs (five earned) and three homers in the first five innings. But he lasted until the seventh, still attacking, still throwing 97 to 98 mph. Minaya loved his moxie.

At the time, the Mets were weighing whether to take Harvey with the seventh overall pick, or go with lefty Chris Sale out of Florida Gulf Coast University. But, like many teams, the Mets had concerns about Sale’s delivery, and feared that he might only turn out to be a reliever.

As it turned out, Sale fell to No. 13, where the White Sox grabbed him. Sox officials sensed that he might go at No. 5 to the Royals, but the Royals selected infielder Christian Colon instead.

The Mets’ decision to draft Harvey cannot be attributed to Minaya alone; nor would he would want sole credit. Marlin McPhail was the area scout at the time, Rudy Terrasas the scouting director. As Terrasas told CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman in 2013, veteran scout Bryan Lambe wrote a report suggesting that Harvey could be another Justin Verlander.
                                http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/k...dodgers-041915

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X