Matt Harvey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
    Another reason why the GM argument is comical.

The scouts are the people that find the players - the GM can agree or disagree with the scouts. The GM signing the prospect is the easy part - finding them is another story.

Wasnt it Rosenthal that also wrote the article about the Alderson is benefitting from Minaya's moves? Now he is writing that it wasnt all Minaya.

I guess when your a writer and its a slow day you can vary your opinion depending on how busy your day is.

Comment

• Rosenthal is a clown.

Minaya was really good at finding talent, but he was mediocre at personnel decisions. He found guys whom everybody thought washed up (Jose Valentin, Fernando Tatis, a few others) and had them as real contributors. He also signed guys like Beltran. But he also made some really awful decisions (Castillo and Perez contracts, Bay, Heath Bell trade, J.J. Putz trade) and questionable draft choices (Kunz, Pelfrey).

Comment

• Originally posted by pstein View Post
        Rosenthal is a clown.

Minaya was really good at finding talent, but he was mediocre at personnel decisions. He found guys whom everybody thought washed up (Jose Valentin, Fernando Tatis, a few others) and had them as real contributors. He also signed guys like Beltran. But he also made some really awful decisions (Castillo and Perez contracts, Bay, Heath Bell trade, J.J. Putz trade) and questionable draft choices (Kunz, Pelfrey).
        I think most media guys are clowns.

I watch a lot of the MLB Network and when Verducci, Rosenthal, Brian Kenny, Greg Amsinger etc talk about the game I sort of listen with one ear. If they break a story on a trade or injury then yes their work becomes more compelling, but when the editorlize the game it usually becomes worthless hot air.

Rosenthal although is a clown if you listen to Verducci you would think he invented the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by pstein View Post
          questionable draft choices (Kunz, Pelfrey).
          I'd add in Ike Davis. Ike Davis has an obvious hitch in his swing. His bat is at his shoulder then down to his waist. This is a long, loopy swing which makes him vulnerable to off-speed pitches and stuff outside the zone. Omar drafted him (with other busts like Reese Havens and Brad Holt) in the first round of 2008 draft. Look at the Cardinals or Braves who've been very good at the draft. The Braves, to use an example, drafted Craig Kimbrel in the third round, a few picks ahead of Kirk Nieuwenhuis. Omar liked low-ceiling college guys like Nieuwenhuis or Eric Campbell. Omar was not great at the draft.
          Last edited by Blue387; 04-22-2015, 02:22 PM.
          The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• All right, some evidence. Mets draft picks under Omar, 2005 to 2010, compared to the Braves in the same years.

Mets draft picks:
            2005: Jonathan Niese, Mike Pelfrey, Bobby Parnell, Josh Thole = 10.6 WAR
            2006: Daniel Murphy, Joe Smith, Vic Black, Johnny Monell, others = 21.1 WAR
            2007: Lucas Duda, Zach Lutz, Juan Centeno, Eddie Kunz, Robert Carson = 7.4 WAR
            2008: Ike Davis, Collin McHugh, Kirk Nieuwenhuis, Eric Campbell, Josh Satin, Chris Schwinden, others = 11.4 WAR
            2009: David Buchanan, 1.0 WAR (for the Phillies!)
            2010: Matt Harvey, Jacob deGrom, Matt den Dekker, Erik Goeddel = 12.4 WAR
            Total: 63.9 WAR

Braves draft picks:
            2005: Yunel Escobar, Andrew Cashner, Tommy Hanson, Tyler Flowers, Jordan Schafer = 39.6 WAR
            2006: Kris Medlen, Jeff Locke, others = 11.7 WAR
            2007: Jason Heyward, Freddie Freeman, Brandon Belt, Brandon Hicks, others = 45 WAR
            2008: Craig Kimbrel, Anthony Rendon, Brett Oberholtzer, J.J. Hoover = 22.8 WAR
            2009: Mike Minor, David Hale = 4.9 WAR
            2010: Andrelton Simmons, Evan Gattis, Phil Gosselin, others = 17.7 WAR
            Total: 136.8 WAR

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
              All right, some evidence. Mets draft picks under Omar, 2005 to 2010, compared to the Braves in the same years.

Mets draft picks:
              2005: Jonathan Niese, Mike Pelfrey, Bobby Parnell, Josh Thole = 10.6 WAR
              2006: Daniel Murphy, Joe Smith, Vic Black, Johnny Monell, others = 21.1 WAR
              2007: Lucas Duda, Zach Lutz, Juan Centeno, Eddie Kunz, Robert Carson = 7.4 WAR
              2008: Ike Davis, Collin McHugh, Kirk Nieuwenhuis, Eric Campbell, Josh Satin, Chris Schwinden, others = 11.4 WAR
              2009: David Buchanan, 1.0 WAR (for the Phillies!)
              2010: Matt Harvey, Jacob deGrom, Matt den Dekker, Erik Goeddel = 12.4 WAR
              Total: 63.9 WAR

Braves draft picks:
              2005: Yunel Escobar, Andrew Cashner, Tommy Hanson, Tyler Flowers, Jordan Schafer = 39.6 WAR
              2006: Kris Medlen, Jeff Locke, others = 11.7 WAR
              2007: Jason Heyward, Freddie Freeman, Brandon Belt, Brandon Hicks, others = 45 WAR
              2008: Craig Kimbrel, Anthony Rendon, Brett Oberholtzer, J.J. Hoover = 22.8 WAR
              2009: Mike Minor, David Hale = 4.9 WAR
              2010: Andrelton Simmons, Evan Gattis, Phil Gosselin, others = 17.7 WAR
              Total: 136.8 WAR
              Wow - pretty darned close if you're choosing this year's team between the two (not discounting the WAR argument, just looking at it different way), now that players have matured and we know what they are - takes years. That last draft probably has me going with Omar's group over Atlanta's for 2015.
              Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Matt Harvey, as usually is the case, will be the center of attention, the primary focus, the topic of discussion, the guy even the beer vendors will stop and watch when he pitches Friday at Citi Field.
                That’s because Harvey is making his first start since his worst start. Against the Pirates in Pittsburgh on Saturday, Harvey got lit up like the Rockefeller Center tree in December, surrendering a career-high seven earned runs in four innings. He gave up two homers in his first start, out of 45, that lasted less than five innings. Anything Harvey-related is always viewed in the context of his return from Tommy John surgery that cost him all of 2014.
                Afterward, manager Terry Collins suggested Harvey hit the wall in a “dead arm” scenario, a common occurrence, but because the words “dead arm” and “Harvey” were linked, the public reaction was akin to the terms “plague” and “your neighborhood” going side-by-side.
                “We have to realize this guy sat out a year, a year plus some,” Collins said. “And we all want him to jump back right in and be the same guy but there’s no guarantees that’s going to happen for the first few months until his arm strength is fully back.”

Collins also said it's nothing to worry about. With the Mets track record with medical issues, we learn to ALWAYS worry. Sort of like the old Soviet Union, there was nothing as deadly as having a 'cold in the Kremlin".

Let's hope Harvey is fine and they do the right thing with him.

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                  Matt Harvey, as usually is the case, will be the center of attention, the primary focus, the topic of discussion, the guy even the beer vendors will stop and watch when he pitches Friday at Citi Field.
                  That’s because Harvey is making his first start since his worst start. Against the Pirates in Pittsburgh on Saturday, Harvey got lit up like the Rockefeller Center tree in December, surrendering a career-high seven earned runs in four innings. He gave up two homers in his first start, out of 45, that lasted less than five innings. Anything Harvey-related is always viewed in the context of his return from Tommy John surgery that cost him all of 2014.
                  Afterward, manager Terry Collins suggested Harvey hit the wall in a “dead arm” scenario, a common occurrence, but because the words “dead arm” and “Harvey” were linked, the public reaction was akin to the terms “plague” and “your neighborhood” going side-by-side.
                  “We have to realize this guy sat out a year, a year plus some,” Collins said. “And we all want him to jump back right in and be the same guy but there’s no guarantees that’s going to happen for the first few months until his arm strength is fully back.”

Collins also said it's nothing to worry about. With the Mets track record with medical issues, we learn to ALWAYS worry. Sort of like the old Soviet Union, there was nothing as deadly as having a 'cold in the Kremlin".

Let's hope Harvey is fine and they do the right thing with him.
                  Every great pitcher has been lit up on occasion. When anything happens in Met-land it gets over dramatized.

Although I think the nickname "The Dark Knight" is utterly ridiculous -- even the actual Dark Knight himself found himself in trouble in every first episode of the TV series. The second episode - he figured it out - beat up the Riddler and put Thug 1, 2, & 3 in jail.

Matt Harvey will figure it out.
                  Last edited by Paulypal; 05-29-2015, 06:46 AM.

Comment

• Well, he got the loss tonight, gave up 4 runs. On the one hand, you could be generous and say 3/4 of those came on one pitch; on the other hand...he still gave up 4 runs.

Still, 11 strikeouts as well, so not a bad night, aside from that one pitch...but he DID still have that one pitch...I'm waffling like a presidential candidate here.

I like The Dark Knight name, he apparently likes Batman, and he's the hero we deserve...or need...or something, whatever it was from the Christopher Nolan movie. It's just fun, and as long as he pitches well, you can have that. Back to back losses, though he didn't really get rocked this time the way he did last time, so hopefully he can get back into the win column next time. (In addition, you could say that he pitched well enough to win both the game against the Cubs and Cardinals, and the Mets' bullpel/offense screwed him both times, so there is that, he's better than 5-3 for sure.)

And now apparently Noah Syndergaard's Thor...?

Just for the heck of it--superhero aliases for our other starters?

Bartolo Colon can be The Incredible Hulk, maybe? (Or the Incredible Bulk?)
                    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

• 8 innings pitched, I'll take that anytime.

Comment

• Matt Harvey has a 1.45 ERA over his last 10 starts and just a 0.40 ERA over his last three. He’s 7-2 with a 2.47 ERA overall at Citi Field.

Comment

• Todays news about Boras and the innings limit is another reason why Harvey will eventually be traded.

I may be wrong but I believe there is no way that Harvey does not hit the free agent market. All of Boras' clients do, and they usually go to the high bidder. He is probably going to have one chance at a big time FA contract and he isnt going to give a hometown discount to the Mets.

Obviously not in the near future but the play is to trade Harvey at some point.

Comment

• So two more in-season starts and then see you in spring training?

Okay.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                              Todays news about Boras and the innings limit is another reason why Harvey will eventually be traded.

I may be wrong but I believe there is no way that Harvey does not hit the free agent market. All of Boras' clients do, and they usually go to the high bidder. He is probably going to have one chance at a big time FA contract and he isnt going to give a hometown discount to the Mets.

Obviously not in the near future but the play is to trade Harvey at some point.
                              Once again the business of baseball affects what happens on the field. I see it both ways. Team has chance to go a long way in playoffs and player should tough it out and be a team player. I also can see that a player has not gotten his big contract and doesn't want to blow out his arm. Don't kid yourself and think either side really cares about the other, they are interested in their own best interest. The way the game is today Harvey does not have to prove he is a bulldog to get paid, so why should he. It should be very interesting. Harvey can choose to tell Boras and the Drs. to go to hell and be the tough competitor he is portrayed as or say its not my call even though it really is and play it safe and give himself a better chance at a big payday?

If I was Sandy I would tell Boras we will give Harvey a 4 year 60 million extension and we will use him as we see fit. Still big enough commitment from Mets to protect him and also big enough payday if spent correctly for anyone lucky enough to share DNA with Matt to be rich for the rest of their lives?

Comment

• Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
                                Once again the business of baseball affects what happens on the field. I see it both ways. Team has chance to go a long way in playoffs and player should tough it out and be a team player. I also can see that a player has not gotten his big contract and doesn't want to blow out his arm. Don't kid yourself and think either side really cares about the other, they are interested in their own best interest. The way the game is today Harvey does not have to prove he is a bulldog to get paid, so why should he. It should be very interesting. Harvey can choose to tell Boras and the Drs. to go to hell and be the tough competitor he is portrayed as or say its not my call even though it really is and play it safe and give himself a better chance at a big payday?

If I was Sandy I would tell Boras we will give Harvey a 4 year 60 million extension and we will use him as we see fit. Still big enough commitment from Mets to protect him and also big enough payday if spent correctly for anyone lucky enough to share DNA with Matt to be rich for the rest of their lives?
                                Sadly, the time where 42 year old Hall of famer Warren Spahn goes out there and pitches until his arm falls off (201 pitches), and the opposing Hall of famer Juan Marichal (227 pitches)says "I can't come out if Warren is still in there"...well those days are over.

It is all about the money, period. Agent, player, owner. The manager is the guy caught in the middle. Boras would tell you, RJ, to shove your 4 year $60 million dollar contract. Kershaw has a $215 milllion dollar contract. That's the zip code we are looking at . To you and I , $60 million means life on easy street. However, it isn't in the same stratosphere.

The money has gone so haywire that this can't even compare to 1977 when Dick Young leaked out the story that Nancy Seaver was jealous of Ruth Ryan based on their husbands salary. Seaver said that was the straw that broke the camel's back . Back then it was laughable. Ryan was making $300K, and Seaver $225K.

This isn't a Mets issue, or a Sandy issue , or even a Wilpon issue. Harvey and Boras will want Kershaw money someday. Does anyone think Harvey will risk that for his $800K salary? I certainly would not !

Harvey wants Kershaw's money. If he can get it sooner rather than later, he won't be a Met. The money part of baseball sucks.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X