Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matt Harvey

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by mandrake View Post
    Totally agree. I liked Harvey on the mound since I first saw him, but I also became very critical of him off the field (being seen courtside at MSG, partying in NYC, not wanting to rehab in FL etc). I believe , no matter what choice he eventually makes, is that he isn't the "team first" type of guy.

    Whether he is making 600K or 800K, Boras has been blowing smoke up his chimney that he 'deserves' a $150 million dollar mega contract. It could be years down the road, but I see Harvey eventually out in Hollywood. (or he could also blow out his arm before the $$$).

    I agree he should not have pitched before June. I also agree that if Wheeler can come back , Zack may not be the pitcher eventually traded. deGromm, Matz, Syndergaard, Wheeler......could Harvey bring back a real hitter who is not a 'rent a player".?
    We are on the same page here for sure.

    Would love to get that big bat that isnt on a rental. Harvey can get that done.

    You think Matt embraced his role?
    Attached Files

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
      It's a matter of degree. Harvey's looking out for #1. Fred presents as a hardcore sociopath who's substantially ruined being a Mets fan. Comparing Harvey to Fred is like comparing Fred to Satan.

      And who wouldn't be concerned putting their future in the hands of this organization especially where medical oversight is concerned. They've shown no qualms about overusing and ruining injured players. If you had a 9 figure sum at stake would you give them the benefit of the doubt?
      In your mind.I see it as two people more interested in their own wallet than anything or anyone else.
      Last edited by rjsallstars; 09-06-2015, 12:53 PM.

      Comment


      • The Dark Knight can't be prudent?

        Granted, I think the Mets should shut down Harvey NOW until he's needed (say, at the end of the season and the Nationals play, or the postseason...and with just a 4 game lead, suddenly that series is somehow even MORE important) but still--I think you're harping too much on the nickname.

        No reason why The Dark Knight can't let Thor and the rest of his Superfriends shoulder the load of their Avengin' staff (such a comic book mishmash, and yet, I never read comics, so I don't care!)

        I'd rather my "superheroes" not burn themselves out early on small-time thugs (or Phils) when they need to be saving themselves for, say, that corporate menace Lex Luthor (er, I mean, Magic Johnson) and his crew come October.
        Last edited by Shea Knight; 09-06-2015, 04:04 PM.
        "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

        Comment


        • If there is no indication of a worsening of a structural issue on the elbow, or some corroborating medical evidence of a spontaneous reoccurrence upon passing some number or PITCHES (not INNINGS) in a postoperative season then she sure comes up a bit like a Flimsy Pigeon moreso than Batman.

          Harvey for Goldschmidt, there he can go flap his "wings" like a desert Road-Runner instead of Gotham's Dark Knight.

          Ridiculous.
          :lightbulb:Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

          Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
          Thanks Sandy Alderson.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by trepye View Post
            If there is no indication of a worsening of a structural issue on the elbow, or some corroborating medical evidence of a spontaneous reoccurrence upon passing some number or PITCHES (not INNINGS) in a postoperative season then she sure comes up a bit like a Flimsy Pigeon moreso than Batman.

            Harvey for Goldschmidt, there he can go flap his "wings" like a desert Road-Runner instead of Gotham's Dark Knight.

            Ridiculous.

            Now Harvey is saying he will pitch in the post season. Why the about face? As a fan, I want Harvey on this team pitching. I do understand why he wants to be cautious. He wants to be paid, just like everybody else does. He should also be smart enough to know he will up his value with a few good postseason performances. I do enjoy watching Harvey pitch and before this incident thought he was an on the field bulldog and the kind of guy you want to be an ace. Now I see Harvey more like a player who may be more valuable to this team as a guy they can trade instead of build around. Degrom, Matz, Thor, Niese and whoever until Wheeler comes back still sounds like a pretty good staff to me. Trade Harvey for a young proven bat and a prospect or two and they may be better off in the long run.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by trepye View Post
              If there is no indication of a worsening of a structural issue on the elbow, or some corroborating medical evidence of a spontaneous reoccurrence upon passing some number or PITCHES (not INNINGS) in a postoperative season then she sure comes up a bit like a Flimsy Pigeon moreso than Batman.

              Harvey for Goldschmidt, there he can go flap his "wings" like a desert Road-Runner instead of Gotham's Dark Knight.

              Ridiculous.
              Hey treype....is it safe to say I have never agreed more with you?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
                Now Harvey is saying he will pitch in the post season. Why the about face? As a fan, I want Harvey on this team pitching. I do understand why he wants to be cautious. He wants to be paid, just like everybody else does. He should also be smart enough to know he will up his value with a few good postseason performances. I do enjoy watching Harvey pitch and before this incident thought he was an on the field bulldog and the kind of guy you want to be an ace. Now I see Harvey more like a player who may be more valuable to this team as a guy they can trade instead of build around. Degrom, Matz, Thor, Niese and whoever until Wheeler comes back still sounds like a pretty good staff to me. Trade Harvey for a young proven bat and a prospect or two and they may be better off in the long run.
                The about face was for one reason in my opinion.....Public perception. Harvey knows what he is up against in NY. He knows that the crowd can and will turn on him if he doesnt pitch.

                I agree I dont blame him for being careful and concerned by like I have said. You cant have it both ways.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
                  The Dark Knight can't be prudent?

                  Granted, I think the Mets should shut down Harvey NOW until he's needed (say, at the end of the season and the Nationals play, or the postseason...and with just a 4 game lead, suddenly that series is somehow even MORE important) but still--I think you're harping too much on the nickname.

                  No reason why The Dark Knight can't let Thor and the rest of his Superfriends shoulder the load of their Avengin' staff (such a comic book mishmash, and yet, I never read comics, so I don't care!)

                  I'd rather my "superheroes" not burn themselves out early on small-time thugs (or Phils) when they need to be saving themselves for, say, that corporate menace Lex Luthor (er, I mean, Magic Johnson) and his crew come October.
                  The problem is that some actually believe Harvey is a superhero and not just another athlete that is concerned about his career and his payday. Which is fine, but Harvey cant walk around with this gunslinger attitude and this Dark Knight handle and then back off because he is afraid of an injury. Then try to hide behind your agent and your doctor.

                  So to answer your question. NO. Matt Harvey cant be prudent. The Mets can be prudent with him but Harvey has to be pissed off until he gets the ball, and not agreeing with the establishment that he should be prudent.

                  Anyway - maybe he came to his senses because he now backed off of his original statement and is going to pitch in the playoffs. Maybe someone knocked the dirt out of is skirt.
                  Last edited by Paulypal; 09-06-2015, 07:23 PM.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
                    Now Harvey is saying he will pitch in the post season. Why the about face? As a fan, I want Harvey on this team pitching. I do understand why he wants to be cautious. He wants to be paid, just like everybody else does. He should also be smart enough to know he will up his value with a few good postseason performances. I do enjoy watching Harvey pitch and before this incident thought he was an on the field bulldog and the kind of guy you want to be an ace. Now I see Harvey more like a player who may be more valuable to this team as a guy they can trade instead of build around. Degrom, Matz, Thor, Niese and whoever until Wheeler comes back still sounds like a pretty good staff to me. Trade Harvey for a young proven bat and a prospect or two and they may be better off in the long run.
                    It's in Harvey's interest to pitch as well as he can. He's not eligible for arbitration until after next season which theoretically allows a lot more money to be spent on talent in the meantime. The situation seems to have sorted itself out. Anyone is tradeable in the right deal but it's probably best not to linger on this episode.

                    The current playoff system makes TORP types especially valuable. The Mets hit the lottery in having 4 develop this far. This story is already tiresome. If anyone feels like worrying the bullpen is a bigger concern right now.


                    "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                      The problem is that some actually believe Harvey is a superhero and not just another athlete that is concerned about his career and his payday. Which is fine, but Harvey cant walk around with this gunslinger attitude and this Dark Knight handle and then back off because he is afraid of an injury. Then try to hide behind your agent and your doctor.

                      So to answer your question. NO. Matt Harvey cant be prudent. The Mets can be prudent with him but Harvey has to be pissed off until he gets the ball, and not agreeing with the establishment that he should be prudent.

                      Anyway - maybe he came to his senses because he now backed off of his original statement and is going to pitch in the playoffs. Maybe someone knocked the dirt out of is skirt.
                      Sure he can...sports is entertainment. How often did Joe Namath really live up to that whole "Broadway Joe" thing on the field? (He was arguably a better show off it after the 60s.) If they want to give him that moniker, I say go ahead and take it as long as you can. As long as he pitches well when we need "a hero"...

                      http://www.theplayerstribune.com/mat...mets-playoffs/


                      Yeah, he's said he'll pitch in the playoffs...and he'd better pitch well Tuesday...
                      "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                        It's in Harvey's interest to pitch as well as he can. He's not eligible for arbitration until after next season which theoretically allows a lot more money to be spent on talent in the meantime. The situation seems to have sorted itself out. Anyone is tradeable in the right deal but it's probably best not to linger on this episode.

                        The current playoff system makes TORP types especially valuable. The Mets hit the lottery in having 4 develop this far. This story is already tiresome. If anyone feels like worrying the bullpen is a bigger concern right now.
                        Yes, story is becoming tiresome but has that ever stopped us before! The bullpen is a bigger concern but starting pitching has fallen off a notch or two the last few weeks except for the old pro, Colon. Maybe young pitchers are starting to reach innings limits. They never have pitched this much in a season and now the games really mean a lot. It will also be real tough to ask any of these pitchers (except Colon) to be bulldogs in the playoffs or even the last month of this season because of fear of blowing out their arms. That will put more pressure on the bullpen. The Mets may have to outhit a few teams to win enough to go anywhere in the playoffs, assuming they can hold off the Nats.

                        I would think this last Harvey soap opera (its not his first) would make at least a few GMs think Harvey could be had at this years winter meetings. If I was Alderson, I would listen.
                        Last edited by rjsallstars; 09-07-2015, 04:27 AM.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
                          Sure he can...sports is entertainment. How often did Joe Namath really live up to that whole "Broadway Joe" thing on the field? (He was arguably a better show off it after the 60s.) If they want to give him that moniker, I say go ahead and take it as long as you can. As long as he pitches well when we need "a hero"...

                          http://www.theplayerstribune.com/mat...mets-playoffs/


                          Yeah, he's said he'll pitch in the playoffs...and he'd better pitch well Tuesday...
                          Comparing Namath and Harvey is really a wide gap. Namath and the Jets beating the Colts actually changed the course of professional football. So although I agree Namath was not great off the field, but his impact of the game football is not really measureable.

                          If the Mets lose today.....Tuesday is playoff game in my opinion.

                          Comment


                          • According to the latest Harvey is not going to pitch more than 200 innings this year which includes the post season.

                            So based upon that information it is possible that this is Harvey's last regular season start if they can maintain their lead. Assuming he goes 7 innings per start that gives him roughly 5 more starts in 2015.

                            Maybe he gets more regular season starts but that obviously means that the Nats have made it a race.

                            Comment


                            • I remembered reading this a couple of months ago, and just spent some time looking for it. I may be reading way too much into it, but at the time I was wondering how Harvey discusses his 600K contract with Boras when Kershaw is making $215 million. Is it collusion if an agent says.."here's how we get you that huge contract before the age of 30, with that injured arm of yours, they are printing money out here in LaLa land."

                              http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/05/sp...mets.html?_r=0

                              As Matt Harvey took the mound Saturday, Scott Boras, his agent, was positioned in his usual seat at Dodger Stadium, at the end of the first row just to the left of home plate.

                              Comment


                              • Time to give Matthew a 3 week vacation. Tonight was perfect. The Dark Knight got his cape handed to him and the Mets despite their "ace" getting lit up win.

                                I hope Scotty and Matthew discuss their innings limit. They should be discussing their choking in a big game limit

                                Very good night

                                Maybe mild mannered Matthew will learn that if you want a persona you better back it up with actions and not just phony words about how you want the ball while your innings counter is ticking in your head. What a disgrace

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X