Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matt Harvey

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • To Mandrake:

    I feel the same as you I think. I was obsessed with the team during their 1980s resurgence. Watching them win it all at Shea crossed my #1 sports fan fantasy off my bucket list. The years that followed were disappointing and I learned to emotionally distance myself. I still enjoy the game but don't invest as much, monetarily and otherwise. I'm mostly happy for the players I've developed affection for. I want to see Wright, Murphy, Duda, even Flores and Nieuwenhuis - the long time organization guys - distinguish themselves and maybe become heroes.

    After the top of the 10th in Game 6 I was on the verge of feeling emotionally crushed. The comeback and subsequent comeback in Game 7 was an unbelievable rush. Maybe as you get older your perspective changes. Maybe your priorities do as well. I don't take it as seriously or personally anymore. That's probably healthy.

    Regarding Alderson:

    His mission wasn't impossible. We've discussed this before. He was under no pressure to do anything but cut payroll at the Major League level and stockpile talent for a target date 5+ years in advance of his hiring. It's no accident we didn't see much incremental improvement in the team. He drafted for 2016 and kept talent in the Minors as long as he could so it would all germinate around the same time. I would have been astonished if he'd blown it.

    He also inherited a lot of talent from his predecessor but in this world people are judged by success and failure here and now. We're seeing success. I'd probably give Epstein Executive Of The Year because the Cubs are almost exclusively his team but I hope the Maverick gets a World Series ring as consolation.

    Regarding Backman:

    I never said he was John McGraw or Ned Hanlon. I felt his hiring would be more or less a publicity stunt to fire up the fan base in coordination with management's 2016 target date for contention. I still wonder how things would have played out if the State Supreme Court hadn't put the kibosh on the mall.

    I'm sure Alderson recognizes Collins as a tactician costs the Mets a couple wins a year. He'll probably be retained but likely just on a one year deal.

    The events of the coming month should dictate some answers.


    "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
      He wasnt great but at least he went 6 2/3 and 100 pitches. Gotta tip your cap for that.
      I had made that derisive comment without knowing that he is no longer employing the abundance of fear placed on to him by his slimy agent....I would be even more impressed if he fired Boras cuz lets be honest here, if he pitches up to potential anyone with a half a brain can get him max money. Im glad he is back to full fearless competition mode.

      Now on to the Dodgers!!
      :lightbulb:Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

      Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
      Thanks Sandy Alderson.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by trepye View Post
        I had made that derisive comment without knowing that he is no longer employing the abundance of fear placed on to him by his slimy agent....I would be even more impressed if he fired Boras cuz lets be honest here, if he pitches up to potential anyone with a half a brain can get him max money. Im glad he is back to full fearless competition mode.

        Now on to the Dodgers!!
        Dont bet on it. I will believe it when I see him pitch without limitations. Which I believe we wont. This will be an issue for as long as the Met off seasons lasts.

        Comment


        • http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...one-nlds-start

          For the NLDS, I'm OK with that, I get the logic of limiting Harvey, and deGrom and Syndergaard are more than up to the task of matching up against Kershaw and Greinke, astronomical as those two have been. Syndergaard DID out-duel Kershaw this year at Dodger Stadium, and deGrom matched up fine against Greinke in their July showdown.

          After those two, the Dodger pitching is a lot weaker--if we can just split those first two games, and Harvey throws well in Game 3...but one game at a time.
          "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
            http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...one-nlds-start

            For the NLDS, I'm OK with that, I get the logic of limiting Harvey, and deGrom and Syndergaard are more than up to the task of matching up against Kershaw and Greinke, astronomical as those two have been. Syndergaard DID out-duel Kershaw this year at Dodger Stadium, and deGrom matched up fine against Greinke in their July showdown.

            After those two, the Dodger pitching is a lot weaker--if we can just split those first two games, and Harvey throws well in Game 3...but one game at a time.
            If they use a 4 man rotation then only 1 pitcher is getting the ball twice. deGrom was starting game 1 all along so this is an non issue I think.

            Comment


            • http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.2387302


              First story, he was stuck in traffic. Didn't pass the smell test.

              Then this:

              Matt Harvey misses Mets' mandatory workout at Citi Field, was boozing night before, has a few different stories

              http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.2387995



              There were any number of ways that David Wright could have downplayed the latest Matt Harvey drama, and over the years the Mets’ captain has learned how to put out such brush fires perhaps more adeptly than any other high-profile New York athlete.

              So the fact that Wright instead made such pointed remarks on Tuesday, saying he was only concerned with the players who actually showed up for the team workout, reflected a certain level of Harvey fatigue that probably extends to others in the Mets’ clubhouse.

              In other words: It’s always something, isn’t it?

              The Mets just went through the emotional wringer with Harvey over the innings-limits controversy, and this isn’t to say that he doesn’t have a right to be concerned about his future.

              But players clearly were irritated that it became such a public matter, and perhaps more so that Harvey seemed to suddenly put his own concerns ahead of the team after presenting himself as the guy who would stop at nothing to lead the Mets to a championship.




              Anybody want to bet me a shake shack that Harvey isn't a Met in 2016? Anyone get the feeling that possibly, he has a "Gooden/Strawberry" lifestyle issue?
              Last edited by mandrake; 10-07-2015, 05:12 AM.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.2387302


                First story, he was stuck in traffic. Didn't pass the smell test.

                Then this:

                Matt Harvey misses Mets' mandatory workout at Citi Field, was boozing night before, has a few different stories

                http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.2387995



                There were any number of ways that David Wright could have downplayed the latest Matt Harvey drama, and over the years the Mets’ captain has learned how to put out such brush fires perhaps more adeptly than any other high-profile New York athlete.

                So the fact that Wright instead made such pointed remarks on Tuesday, saying he was only concerned with the players who actually showed up for the team workout, reflected a certain level of Harvey fatigue that probably extends to others in the Mets’ clubhouse.

                In other words: It’s always something, isn’t it?

                The Mets just went through the emotional wringer with Harvey over the innings-limits controversy, and this isn’t to say that he doesn’t have a right to be concerned about his future.

                But players clearly were irritated that it became such a public matter, and perhaps more so that Harvey seemed to suddenly put his own concerns ahead of the team after presenting himself as the guy who would stop at nothing to lead the Mets to a championship.




                Anybody want to bet me a shake shack that Harvey isn't a Met in 2016? Anyone get the feeling that possibly, he has a "Gooden/Strawberry" lifestyle issue?
                We will have plenty of off season to discuss this in greater detail as more an more rumors start to swirl, but there isnt a doubt in my mind that the correct baseball move is to trade Harvey this off season.

                Matt Harvey is a 24 & 1 player for starters. Besides that there are quite a few reasons to trade him.

                Comment


                • I heard the bulb in the Bat Signal blew out, and Harvey missed the call.
                  They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                    I heard the bulb in the Bat Signal blew out, and Harvey missed the call.
                    LOL. Sergeant O'Hara is going to hear it from Commissioner Gordon.

                    Comment


                    • Doesn't he pay Boras to take care of these things?

                      Comment


                      • Said it when the story broke, I'll say again...it's a non-story so long as he pitches well in Game 3.

                        If it were Addison Reed showing up late instead, no one would care.

                        Then again, Addison Reed doesn't have a super-special nickname and date super models, now, does he? So I get that you take the crap with the gold trying to be "the guy."

                        As long as he pitches like "the guy" in Game 3, no one's gonna care.
                        "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
                          Said it when the story broke, I'll say again...it's a non-story so long as he pitches well in Game 3.

                          If it were Addison Reed showing up late instead, no one would care.

                          Then again, Addison Reed doesn't have a super-special nickname and date super models, now, does he? So I get that you take the crap with the gold trying to be "the guy."

                          As long as he pitches like "the guy" in Game 3, no one's gonna care.
                          I wish it were a non story, and I agree if he pitches well in game 3..this MOSTLY goes away.

                          The problem with it is that its Harvey again making headlines for the wrong reasons. Now is this really a headline story? No its not, but coming on the tail of his last debacle it becomes another Harvey nightmare. Leaders dont get this type of attention.

                          I guess Wayne Manor was littered with chicks and booze that the Drunk Knight of Gotham couldnt make a 12:00pm practice.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                            I wish it were a non story, and I agree if he pitches well in game 3..this MOSTLY goes away.

                            The problem with it is that its Harvey again making headlines for the wrong reasons. Now is this really a headline story? No its not, but coming on the tail of his last debacle it becomes another Harvey nightmare. Leaders dont get this type of attention.

                            I guess Wayne Manor was littered with chicks and booze that the Drunk Knight of Gotham couldnt make a 12:00pm practice.
                            I don't really want to think too much about Harvey because there are so many better things for a Met fan to currently think about. I will say I am not sure if this is the type of person worth investing 200 million in. If this is how he acts before a big contract I am not sure I want to see how he will act after a big contract. I would have no problem watching four more quality starts from Harvey in a Met uniform then allowing him to be someone else's prima Donna ace if a quality SS and 2 good prospects could be had in return

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
                              I don't really want to think too much about Harvey because there are so many better things for a Met fan to currently think about. I will say I am not sure if this is the type of person worth investing 200 million in. If this is how he acts before a big contract I am not sure I want to see how he will act after a big contract. I would have no problem watching four more quality starts from Harvey in a Met uniform then allowing him to be someone else's prima Donna ace if a quality SS and 2 good prospects could be had in return
                              I dont disagree, but let him pitch well for 4 more weeks with a Met uniform on....then he can go do whatever it he does in the bat cave.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                                I wish it were a non story, and I agree if he pitches well in game 3..this MOSTLY goes away.

                                The problem with it is that its Harvey again making headlines for the wrong reasons. Now is this really a headline story? No its not, but coming on the tail of his last debacle it becomes another Harvey nightmare. Leaders dont get this type of attention.

                                I guess Wayne Manor was littered with chicks and booze that the Drunk Knight of Gotham couldnt make a 12:00pm practice.
                                Why he couldn't wait until the off season and party all night is beyond me. Look, Gooden missed the WS parade and it was a big deal......yet people in NY acted shocked when he ended up on drugs in 1987.

                                Self control for a few more weeks is too much to ask? While I believe he is the real deal on the mound, I also believe he may be just a series of problems down the road. Whose fault is it that he became a story? Harvey's, that's who. It was reported on FAN before the papers broke it.

                                If he wins game 3 and the Mets go on to bigger and better things, Mets fans will be fine with him. if he gets roughed up and they lose to the Dodgers, the same folks praising him will be looking to lynch him. Anyone recall the way the NYY mob turned against Steve Howe once he couldn't get anyone out?

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X