X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dstoffa
    replied
    Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Agreed....The Mets front office/ownership has a reputations of sleaze, but given his ERA and his ability to pitch he should put a lid on it.
    I think Harvey's problem was his personality.
    It's my belief that he always knew success, and didn't know what to do when he didn't have success. Call it helicopter parenting (or managing), call it privilege, call it whatever you want... When he "lost it", he didn't know how to handle it. Any desire I had the Mets would keep him were lost when he stated, "I am a starting pitcher" when he was demoted to the bullpen. At that moment, he was no longer a professional ballplayer in my eyes... A person who played professional ball, yes. A professional, no.

"Man looks into the abyss. There is nothing staring back at him. It is at that moment when man finds his character, and that is what keeps him out of the abyss."

It was time to move on... and both sides knew it.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
    On the one hand, given Mets brass and their history with their players, it's hard for me to sympathize with management over the player.

On the OTHER hand...beggars can't be choosers, Harvey, and let's be clear--you're closer to begging for starts than being competent, let alone the Dark Knight again.

Again, given the sleaze of Mets management, I don't doubt they did something to tweak Harvey...but any leverage he had vanished with his fastball and control.
    Agreed....The Mets front office/ownership has a reputations of sleaze, but given his ERA and his ability to pitch he should put a lid on it.

Leave a comment:

• Shea Knight
    replied
    On the one hand, given Mets brass and their history with their players, it's hard for me to sympathize with management over the player.

On the OTHER hand...beggars can't be choosers, Harvey, and let's be clear--you're closer to begging for starts than being competent, let alone the Dark Knight again.

Again, given the sleaze of Mets management, I don't doubt they did something to tweak Harvey...but any leverage he had vanished with his fastball and control.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    So Matt Harvey said he would sign with any team in MLB except 1.....the insinuation is that it is the Mets.

I would like to thank him for that because who wants him back?

He is such a tough guy to root for.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

His agent might get him a one year deal to prove himself. Or go for a multi year for security. He will get a contract.
    I think on the high side he gets a one year deal, and on the low side some invites to ST.

Leave a comment:

• LI METS FAN
    replied
    Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
    Took this from the Season thread so as not to sidetrack:

"Elsewhere, Christian Yelich is all smiles--he's hit for the cycle for the Brewers today vs. the Reds? The starter? Who else--Matt Harvey, who didn't even make it past 5 innings...AGAIN.

He's not our "problem" anymore, but his seemingly being wrecked is still a sad sight to behold."

The schadenfreude in me made me check his game logs. His previous 3 starts were 5.1, 6.1 and 7 IP with a line of 18.2 IP 14 H 3 ER 3 BB 18 K. Not so bad. The previous 3 were not so good. 4, 4 and 3.2 IP giving up 5, 2 and 8 R/ER. Otherwise 5. something IP 1-3 R for the most part with a 4 or 5 as well. Nothing to get cut over but not exactly something to build a staff around either. Just a back of the rotation guy, who in a 30 team league with hugely expanded pitching staffs can have a long career as rotation fill.
    His agent might get him a one year deal to prove himself. Or go for a multi year for security. He will get a contract.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    The rhetoric on this thread was that Harvey still had something left and he was going to the Yankees or wherever and the Mets would regret him going on some level.

Uhhhhhh NO. Matt Harvey is a sub standard MLB pitcher. That probably wont change despite the good start on occasion.

Leave a comment:

• PVNICK
    replied
    Took this from the Season thread so as not to sidetrack:

"Elsewhere, Christian Yelich is all smiles--he's hit for the cycle for the Brewers today vs. the Reds? The starter? Who else--Matt Harvey, who didn't even make it past 5 innings...AGAIN.

He's not our "problem" anymore, but his seemingly being wrecked is still a sad sight to behold."

The schadenfreude in me made me check his game logs. His previous 3 starts were 5.1, 6.1 and 7 IP with a line of 18.2 IP 14 H 3 ER 3 BB 18 K. Not so bad. The previous 3 were not so good. 4, 4 and 3.2 IP giving up 5, 2 and 8 R/ER. Otherwise 5. something IP 1-3 R for the most part with a 4 or 5 as well. Nothing to get cut over but not exactly something to build a staff around either. Just a back of the rotation guy, who in a 30 team league with hugely expanded pitching staffs can have a long career as rotation fill.

Leave a comment:

• bluesky5
    replied
    Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

You mean the year Harvey had a 6.16 K/BB ratio, and led MLB with a 2.01 FIP, and could hit 102mph, with a high 90s slider? You're right. He had no business finishing 4th. If he hadn't gotten injured, he would have won the CYA.
    I think 7 more starts would have gone a long way.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
    Harvey was always overrated. He had no business finishing 4th for the CYA, let alone top ten, or making the all-star team that year. He has a losing record and his career ERA+ will be under 100 by the end of the year.
    You mean the year Harvey had a 6.16 K/BB ratio, and led MLB with a 2.01 FIP, and could hit 102mph, with a high 90s slider? You're right. He had no business finishing 4th. If he hadn't gotten injured, he would have won the CYA.

Leave a comment:

• bluesky5
    replied
    Harvey was always overrated. He had no business finishing 4th for the CYA, let alone top ten, or making the all-star team that year. He has a losing record and his career ERA+ will be under 100 by the end of the year.

Leave a comment:

• PVNICK
    replied
    Oh geez, I just looked, 8 runs and 4HR in 3+ IP. That will blow up an ERA pretty fast.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    This is what Harvey is. Some good outings, and then he will get lit up.

He is a 5 inning guy max right now. I must stay I have to tip my cap to him for being even effective as he has been after TOS surgery.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    Harvey allowed 2 ER in 5 2/3 innings today. Checked the play by play. He had a lot of swinging strikes early and, based on results, seemed to run out of gas around 100 pitches. Still not a bad performance.

Leave a comment:

• mandrake
    replied
    A few weeks ago I posted that I was in Pittsburgh and had hoped to see Harvey pitch but dinner plans interfered . Harvey pitched good , not great , but the Pirates announcers said that they thought if Harvey could string a series of starts like that one , he would be on a contender at the trade deadline .

Harvey's last three starts he is 3-0 with a 1.47 era .

The Reds are supposedly scouting the Nats and the Yankees looking for prospects . Interesting .

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X