Matt Harvey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    Serious question for you and other Mets fans: Would you sign up for a few years of Gooden-esque or Lincecum-esque peak performance knowing that he wouldn't provide much value past his late 20's?
    Probably, yeah.

Main reason: the Wilpons would let him walk like Jose Reyes after the first main contract.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
      Probably, yeah.

Main reason: the Wilpons would let him walk like Jose Reyes after the first main contract.
      Yeah, that's kind of the point I was getting at. He's probably not going to be a Met for life. Hopefully he gives you a terrific peak for a few years at a low cost and then someone else throws $200M at him for his decline.
      My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
      2. Barry Bonds
      3. Ty Cobb
      4. Ted Williams
      5. Willie Mays
      6. Alex Rodriguez
      7. Hank Aaron
      8. Honus Wagner
      9. Lou Gehrig
      10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
        Serious question for you and other Mets fans: Would you sign up for a few years of Gooden-esque or Lincecum-esque peak performance knowing that he wouldn't provide much value past his late 20's?
        At this point I think the organization needs a long-term stud, somebody who is going to anchor the staff for the next 10-12 years (which team wouldn't take one of those!). You augment that guy with the shot-in-the-pan phenoms.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Met View Post
          Correct me if I'm wrong but there are zero HOF'ers on that list. No Nolan Ryans, no Steve Carltons. I wonder how much of a coincidence that is.
          Well then it stands to reason that eventually there will be a HOF on that list. The law of averages and such....
          unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
          unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
          unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

No-hitter through 6

Comment

Originally posted by filihok View Post
              No-hitter through 6
              Jinxed.

Justin Morneau homerun

Comment

I don't know about you but this Matt Harvey kid is pretty good.

Still waiting for the shoe to drop though,
                The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

This kid's amazing.

To answer a question asked earlier--

Yes, I'd sign him up if it meant Dwight Gooden-style years...because barring a coke problem, or severe overuse (both problems for Gooden), Harvey can STAY good for longer than Gooden did (though even if it meant a repeat of Gooden's career--stat-wise--I'd still make that deal, you can go places with a Dr. K on your staff.)

Ans Strasburg's on that list as well, so not at all a bad list to be on.

But he's just fantastic...the first real sign of hope this new regime has fostered.
                  "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
                    This kid's amazing.

To answer a question asked earlier--

Yes, I'd sign him up if it meant Dwight Gooden-style years...because barring a coke problem, or severe overuse (both problems for Gooden), Harvey can STAY good for longer than Gooden did (though even if it meant a repeat of Gooden's career--stat-wise--I'd still make that deal, you can go places with a Dr. K on your staff.)

Ans Strasburg's on that list as well, so not at all a bad list to be on.

But he's just fantastic...the first real sign of hope this new regime has fostered.
                    Be careful with your blasphemous words about signing a young player. All Met fans are worried about controlling the player long enough to not pay him....you know because everyone needs more seasoning........like a pork roast.:noidea

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                      Be careful with your blasphemous words about signing a young player. All Met fans are worried about controlling the player long enough to not pay him....you know because everyone needs more seasoning........like a pork roast.:noidea
                      ...DOES pork roast need seasoning? (Jewish to begin with, and even though I'm not religiously-observant, I'm really not a pork person--or much of a food person, really--so...sarcasm there or no...? lol)
                      "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                        None of this even makes even an iota of sense.

Nobody said that extending controlled players was a bad idea. And what does "seasoning" have to do with anything?

If you're going to be sarcastic at least try and be funny.

Comment

...DOES pork roast need seasoning? (Jewish to begin with, and even though I'm not religiously-observant, I'm really not a pork person--or much of a food person, really--so...sarcasm there or no...? lol)
                          Chinese roast pork is delicious. Some seasoning and sauce but is delicious.
                          The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

All I know is that Im enjoying watching Harvey pitch, and I hope he keeps it up. I think he will, and I think he will represent us in the ASG. (hopefully with some company!)
                            unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
                            unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
                            unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Harvey wasn't fostered by the new regime. He was a Minaya signing.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                                Harvey wasn't fostered by the new regime. He was a Minaya signing.
                                I meant in calling him up he's the first time they've made a roster move that makes me hopeful rather than not.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X