X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

Quoted for truth.

It's sad how far he has fallen.
    Unfortunately he was crowned well before he deserved it ....and more importantly.....he was crowned well before he could handle wearing the crown.

Comment

• Harvey has just been designated for assignment. I still find it a shock. He did come back from Tommy John surgery to be great. I have no idea what causes Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. I guess many will wonder if his workload in 2015 was a factor. Fans ought to show some gratitude for Harvey's major contributions to the pennant.

It should be noted Harvey hasn't lost very much velocity. He could certainly succeed with the velocity he has. Command is the issue now; movement, too. I believe nerves might be severed as part of the TOS surgery. I also know nerves can grow and regenerate, but it takes time. I'm speaking in ignorance of his health situation, but I wonder if he can come back again.

I guess the Mets figured he wouldn't be under team control after this season, and there was no point waiting for possible improvement.

Still, who could have predicted this turn of events?

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• "This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang, but with a whimper."

The world ending? No. But it still describes the end of Matt Harvey the Met...from where he was to where he wound up, damn shame...

Some of his injuries were self-inflicted, some not, but it's a shame either way.
        "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

• Article here:

https://wfan.radio.com/articles/news...ted-assignment

I'm not going to be surprised if we hear about him living out of his car in a few years after he's finished blowing through his money.

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post

The best cure for Harvey is a new environment. He's a free agent at the end of the year. The Mets are not going to blow him away with an offer. The best thing for the Mets right now is to trade him. Of course, his value is low. What do the Mets get of value when he signs with another team ? He could become a cancer in the clubhouse; the rest of the Mets team seem to be enjoying themselves so far this season with a great start. Harvey is only concerned about Team Harvey. Do the Mets need his attitude?

What happens when he comes in from the bullpen and gets lit up, and the fans get on him ?
            Well, I WISH they had traded him for something. I wonder if he went ballistic and the Mets had no choice. I realize many fans were afraid to trade him hoping he was returning to 2013 but now the Mets get zilch.

20/20 hindsight is one thing. Saying to trade Harvey to get anything back is another. I was also hoping to trade Wheeler/TDA to try to get a real catcher. When you wish upon a star....

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post

Well, I WISH they had traded him for something. I wonder if he went ballistic and the Mets had no choice. I realize many fans were afraid to trade him hoping he was returning to 2013 but now the Mets get zilch.

20/20 hindsight is one thing. Saying to trade Harvey to get anything back is another. I was also hoping to trade Wheeler/TDA to try to get a real catcher. When you wish upon a star....
              As someone who didn't want him traded, and is now on the wrong end of that:

1. Yes, in this case, I was wrong, it would've been better to trade him.

2. In terms of Baseball Theory, in the world where 2018 Harvey was still pitching like 2015 Harvey (which was what most people expected), I still say a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, UNLESS you know what you're getting back is equal or better value, especially with the Mets. If you're, say, the Cardinals of Old, you can trade players a bit more freely because you have a GREAT farm system, and KNOW how to develop talent year after year, generation after generation. When you're the Mets, and something finally goes right? Don't. Mess. It. Up. They and Harvey still DID manage to mess this situation up together, but from the 2015 standpoint, I still say theory-wise he was worth keeping, without our knowing his arm (and Mets career) were about to shatter.
              "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

• Addition by subtraction.

He needs a fresh fresh start elsewhere. Hope he finds happiness and success. He had it before.

Comment

• He doesn't have a pitch to put anyone away anymore. His only chance is to learn from guys like Smoltz and Bartolo and outsmart the batters

Comment

• Hey all, first post....

Maybe somebody here could enlighten me on this. It was interesting to see a report last night that the Reds might be interested in him. As far as I know, since they have the worst record in the NL, they would have first shot at him Saturday if he is put on waiver's right?

So, why would a team want Harvey?

-- they think he can help them win something this year (e.g.: Giants)

-- they hope they can fix him and he will want to be there long term (e.g.: Texas with Warthen)

-- they have something of similar value and trouble they have to unload (BoSox and Swihart)

-- they hope they can fix him and trade him at the deadline for something more than they pay now

What's Cincinnati's game? Maybe they just want to screw around and muddy the waters and then grab him on waivers Saturday? Or are they thinking that a small market like Cincinnati might fix what ails the bashed up Harvey?

That said, they have a history of trading with the Mets with Jay Bruce.

Personally, I'm pulling for Swihart.

Waddyathink?

Edit: a few minutes ago it was announced that the Reds sent catcher Mesoraco.and cash for Harvey. Swihart-like.

The Cincinnati Reds are "a team that has emerged with interest in Harvey," according to SNY's Andy Martino.
                    Last edited by OldBackstop; 05-08-2018, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GordonGecko View Post
                      He doesn't have a pitch to put anyone away anymore. His only chance is to learn from guys like Smoltz and Bartolo and outsmart the batters
                      Good point.

T saw a lowlight reel of his last few starts....the pitches sometimes looked well placed with good velocity, but even off the plate, the guys were just hitting ROCKETS.

It almost looked like he was tipping.

Comment

• The Mets and Reds announced on Tuesday that they’ve swapped right-hander Matt Harvey and catcher Devin Mesoraco. The Reds are sending cash to the Mets to offset the difference in salary, as Mesoraco is earning $13.125MM in 2018 to Harvey’s $5.6MM.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...rvey-reds.html
                        The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• $13.125MM is pretty good money for someone who has played 113 games since 2015. But at least the Mets get a warm body for Harvey, rather than just releasing him.
                          Last edited by ol' aches and pains; 05-08-2018, 04:00 PM.
                          They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                            $13.125MM is pretty good money for someone who has played 113 games since 2015. But at least the Mets get a warm body for Harvey, rather than just releasing him.
                            A warm body who is a catcher and former All Star. Even if he doesn't pan out, this is a win for the team.

Comment

• https://pressboxsports.net/examine-t...mets-and-reds/

Comment

• Harvey pitched well for 4 innings against the Dodgers. It would be great is this trade was a win win for both teams.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X