• Show
Clear All

• Blue387
    replied
    This is too good to be true.

Leave a comment:

• chicagowhitesox1173
    replied
    I think he's going to be this years Madison Bumgarner/Chris Sale with an upside to be a Cy-Young winner. I watched him today and he looks like the real deal.

Leave a comment:

• Shea Knight
    replied
    I take my HMS Pinafore/Dick Deadeye-style negativity and worry back...

For he himself hath said it,
    And it's greatly to his credit,
    That he is Our New Lead Man
    That he isssss Our New-ew-ew-ew Leeeeeeeaaaaad Maaaaaaan!

Leave a comment:

• theAmazingMet
    replied
    He looks like the real deal so far.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    7 innings, 3 hits, 1 run, 9 strikeouts tonight.

On the season so far, 14 IP, 19 K, 3 BB, 4 hits, 0.64 ERA. Not bad.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by Strawman View Post
    He's the Mets with the best 5 years ahead of him (and that includes Wright and Ike).

Agreed. Hopefully we are both wrong because of someone is going to exceed Harvey we are in for a nice surprise as Met fans.

Leave a comment:

• Strawman
    replied
    Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
    That first inning or two were masterful. Bang bang bang strike one two three (or thereabouts). The next five were damn good as well.
    He's the Mets with the best 5 years ahead of him (and that includes Wright and Ike).

Leave a comment:

• PVNICK
    replied
    That first inning or two were masterful. Bang bang bang strike one two three (or thereabouts). The next five were damn good as well.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    Matt Harvey sure does look like the real deal. Seven innings, ten strikeouts, one hit allowed in his season debut.

Leave a comment:

• Shea Knight
    replied
    Maybe it's because I'm listening to HMS Pinafore right now, but I'll be the Dick Deadeye killjoy and say...

Just wait.

Just wait...a bone chip or oblique strain...or hamstring...or his arm turning to jello in a freak run in with Harry Potter--

NOTHING is impossible when it comes to the Amazing(ly Injured) Mets.

Leave a comment:

• Strawman
    replied
    If you're looking for a single Mets bright spot, one real story of potential greatness - it's Matt Harvey. The real deal, by far their top young player.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    Matt Harvey is having an excellent spring:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1292284

Matt Harvey holds St. Louis Cardinals to two runs on six hits in longest spring training outing for NY Mets
    The Mets young righthander has struck out 24 batters in 18 1/3 innings this spring, but he's learning to balance that with his desire to pitch over 200 innings this season.
    By Kristie Ackert / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Monday, March 18, 2013, 7:13 PM

JUPITER, Fla. - Matt Harvey struck out six and limited the Cardinals to two runs on six hits and a walk in the Mets 3-2 win Monday.

The Mets young righthander has struck out 24 batters in 18 1/3 innings this spring, but he's learning to balance that with his desire to pitch over 200 innings this season.

"Obviously a strikeout is good here and there," Harvey said, "but I am starting to learn a groundball is just as good. Going deep into the game is on my mind. If I got seven or eight inning with three strikeouts, that's seven or eight innings. If the strikeouts come, they come."

Harvey was more pleased with the fact he went 5 1/3 innings, his longest outing of the spring and that his curveball has been working.

"I was really happy with my curveball," Harvey said. "Unfortunately I gave up too many hits in my mind, but overall I'm healthy and feeling good. The biggest thing from last year was not having my curveball. I threw a lot of good ones 0-0 and was able to throw it in the dirt when I needed to. That's a big pitch for me."

He looks to be one of the few bright spots on the team this season.

I think, if healthy, he'll have a very good season. I can see him winning 15 or more with decent run support and a bullpen that holds leads. Who knows if he'll get either, much less both. As it stands I'll predict 12-10 with a 3.30 ERA. A strikeout an inning. FIP of maybe 3.50.

Any other predictions?

Leave a comment:

• Joe Rigatoni
    replied
    Harvey took one look at the Diamondbacks lineup and said "I see you showed up wise guys".(Honeymooners reference)
    and just dominated them.But I know it's only one major league start but so far so good and I am looking forward to see
    what he can do in his next start.

Leave a comment:

• Cowtipper
    replied
    Let's give him a couple games...or seasons...before we start passing any sort of judgement on the guy. Remember, Tyler Yates looked really good in his major league debut with the Mets as well (6 IP, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K).

Leave a comment:

• Ralf
    replied
    Its always good when a front office does not squander the 7th overall pick in the draft. He should be a solid #3 for us for a while as long as he stays healthy. With Neise, Harvey and Gee, we have a nice back end of the rotation. Now all we need is a #1 and #2 starter.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X