Matt Harvey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
    Well at least you didn't miss a perfect game but you did miss a dominating performance as of now. This guy is amazing. He's deff the real deal.
    I have been a Mets fan for decades. I have seen , in person, Seaver, Kooz,Ryan, Matlack, Gooden, Sid, Darling, Santana pitch some incredible games. I saw Seaver pitch a one hitter. I saw Niese only let one person reach base. I saw Gooden fan 16.

Tonight's games was the best game I ever saw a Met pitch in person. In person, Harvey looks more intimidating than on TV.

And while the runner was clearly safe at first, I will have to look at replays to see if the SS could have played it better.

I don't care what the 'revised rulebook' says about no hitters and perfect games. IF this was a 10 inning perfect game, I would always say it was even if Harvey did not pitch the 10th. Heck, we all know Santana gave up a 'double' to Beltran last year.

Until the Mets get a real team behind him, Harvey may want to research how Steve Carlton won 27 games on a team that lost 103 times.

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
      I have been a Mets fan for decades. I have seen , in person, Seaver, Kooz,Ryan, Matlack, Gooden, Sid, Darling, Santana pitch some incredible games. I saw Seaver pitch a one hitter. I saw Niese only let one person reach base. I saw Gooden fan 16.

Tonight's games was the best game I ever saw a Met pitch in person. In person, Harvey looks more intimidating than on TV.

And while the runner was clearly safe at first, I will have to look at replays to see if the SS could have played it better.

I don't care what the 'revised rulebook' says about no hitters and perfect games. IF this was a 10 inning perfect game, I would always say it was even if Harvey did not pitch the 10th. Heck, we all know Santana gave up a 'double' to Beltran last year.

Until the Mets get a real team behind him, Harvey may want to research how Steve Carlton won 27 games on a team that lost 103 times.
      Tejada did all he could with that - no issues there.

What Harvey really needs is amnesia so he keeps forgetting he is a Met.

Comment

I am back. It was a great game.
        The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
          Heck, we all know Santana gave up a 'double' to Beltran last year.

Double--what double?...why, whatever do you mean...?

But Harvey certainly looks like he could throw the Mets' 2nd* no-hitter someday...he's already toyed with it twice now, so young, so early on...

Time to start trading for some bats to support him, I say (and if Ike doesn't start tearing it up soon--and he's going to have to hit like Gehrig for a while to get his batting average up--then as much a I like him and will always remember the long bomb he hit for a HR at Dodger Stadium when I went to see a game there last year...we sadly might need a new 1B as well...I really, REALLY like Ike, but he's just not hitting, and Harvey needs offense--the whole staff needs offense! That was a terrible implosion of an inning by Niese the other day, but if the Mets had a decent offense they at least could've had a chance...Harvey's here, Niese is a solid #3/4, Gee's here for the back-end of the rotation and Wheeler and Syndergaard are still in the pipe--time to trade for some offense.)
          "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
            Double--what double?...why, whatever do you mean...?

But Harvey certainly looks like he could throw the Mets' 2nd* no-hitter someday...he's already toyed with it twice now, so young, so early on...

Time to start trading for some bats to support him, I say (and if Ike doesn't start tearing it up soon--and he's going to have to hit like Gehrig for a while to get his batting average up--then as much a I like him and will always remember the long bomb he hit for a HR at Dodger Stadium when I went to see a game there last year...we sadly might need a new 1B as well...I really, REALLY like Ike, but he's just not hitting, and Harvey needs offense--the whole staff needs offense! That was a terrible implosion of an inning by Niese the other day, but if the Mets had a decent offense they at least could've had a chance...Harvey's here, Niese is a solid #3/4, Gee's here for the back-end of the rotation and Wheeler and Syndergaard are still in the pipe--time to trade for some offense.)
            So what are you trading for bats? Wheeler is the only thing you have to trade.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
              So what are you trading for bats? Wheeler is the only thing you have to trade.
              I think you have to explore the trade market for Wheeler now that he's propped his value up again - he's the one chip that could get you a real bat (and I just don't think he's going to make it in NY).
              Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

Most Strikeouts through 17 career starts:

1. 156 Kerry Wood
                2. 150 Hideo Nomo
                3. 134 Mark Prior
                4. 133 Dwight Gooden
                5. 128 Matt Harvey
                6. 121 Yu Darvish
                7. 119 Daisuke Matsuzaka
                8. 116 Stephen Strasburg
                9. 116 Tom Griffin
                10. 113 Tim Lincecum
                My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                2. Barry Bonds
                3. Ty Cobb
                4. Ted Williams
                5. Willie Mays
                6. Alex Rodriguez
                7. Hank Aaron
                8. Honus Wagner
                9. Lou Gehrig
                10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

From Buster Olney...

Hitters are 9 for 102 (.088) against Harvey after starting behind 0-1, lowest avg. against any starting pitcher in '13.
                  "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Joel Sherman: Matt Harvey = Justin Verlander?
                    http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/...szm7ifmuAoXEiJ

Comment

• Matt Harvey's next scheduled start is Sunday, May 12th against the Pittsburgh Pirates at Citi Field.

Comment

• Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                        Most Strikeouts through 17 career starts:

1. 156 Kerry Wood
                        2. 150 Hideo Nomo
                        3. 134 Mark Prior
                        4. 133 Dwight Gooden
                        5. 128 Matt Harvey
                        6. 121 Yu Darvish
                        7. 119 Daisuke Matsuzaka
                        8. 116 Stephen Strasburg
                        9. 116 Tom Griffin
                        10. 113 Tim Lincecum
                        Wow! Good job Harvey! Any reason these guys all seem to be current? Was there a cutoff on the list like starting in say 1980 or so? Just wondering. Seems strange that guys like Feller or Score aren't on the list. Maybe they really dropped off after a few starts, I have no idea. Still very impressive for Matt to accomplish this! Keep it up!
                        "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

• Has anyone noticed that he still hasn't faced a good hitting team yet?

SDP - 12th in the NL (ranked by OPS)
                          PHI - 13th in the NL
                          MIN - 14th in the AL
                          WASH - 14th in the NL
                          LAD - 10th in the NL
                          MIA - 15th in the NL
                          CHI - 15th in the AL

Comment

• Originally posted by ipitch View Post
                            Has anyone noticed that he still hasn't faced a good hitting team yet?

PHI - 13th in the NL
                            MIN - 14th in the AL
                            WASH - 14th in the NL
                            LAD - 10th in the NL
                            MIA - 15th in the NL
                            CHI - 15th in the AL
                            Didn't Strasburg also start out in his first couple starts against real bad offensive teams too? I think he had the Pirates either first or second and struck out a ton of them. He got touched up in his first start against a team that was either around .500 or better, can't remember now who that was.
                            "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

Yes. Post 79... I almost nailed his next start spot on.
                              "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

PHI - 13th in the NL
                                MIN - 14th in the AL
                                WASH - 14th in the NL
                                LAD - 10th in the NL
                                MIA - 15th in the NL
                                CHI - 15th in the AL
                                Due to the still small sample size I assume they all have their stats dragged down by having to face Harvey. To put it another way the teams at the top have yet to face Harvey so they are feasting on weak pitching.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X