Matt Harvey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ipitch View Post
    Has anyone noticed that he still hasn't faced a good hitting team yet?

SDP - 12th in the NL (ranked by OPS)
    PHI - 13th in the NL
    MIN - 14th in the AL
    WASH - 14th in the NL
    LAD - 10th in the NL
    MIA - 15th in the NL
    CHI - 15th in the AL
    Its not going to matter

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
      Yes. Post 79... I almost nailed his next start spot on.
      We may have to get you your own parking space in the BBF parking lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
        We may have to get you your own parking space in the BBF parking lot.
        Sounds good to me!

org-22944d1252469979-what-truck-right-free-candy_130830742169.jpg
        "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

• Harvey now 5-0, though he should be 9-0. He even drove in the run that got the win for himself tonight.

He's allowed 32 hits in 63 2/3 innings, with 14 walks allowed and 68 strikeouts. His ERA stands at 1.55.

He's also on the cover of the upcoming Sports Illustrated.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
            Harvey now 5-0, though he should be 9-0. He even drove in the run that got the win for himself tonight.

He's allowed 32 hits in 63 2/3 innings, with 14 walks allowed and 68 strikeouts. His ERA stands at 1.55.

He's also on the cover of the upcoming Sports Illustrated.
            Mets WITH Harvey in 2013 will finish 77-85.(my pre season prediction)
            If there was no Harvey, Mets lose at least 100 games this season.

The guy is he real deal. And yes, I have made fun of the Mets hype of minor leaguers (5 tool phenom F Mart among others)...but Harvey looks like Seaver. On the mound, at the plate, in the dugout.

But for all Harvey's potential greatness, until the Mets actually build a real 25 man team around Harvey, the Mets won't contend. Tom Seaver, first round Hall of Famer, from 1967 thru 1976.....the Mets averaged 80.4 wins per season over that decade. And look at the pitchers that were there to help Seaver. Nobody on the Mets current staff would even make the Mets pitching rotation back in 1969 or 1973 (except for Harvey)

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post
              Mets WITH Harvey in 2013 will finish 77-85.(my pre season prediction)
              If there was no Harvey, Mets lose at least 100 games this season.

The guy is he real deal. And yes, I have made fun of the Mets hype of minor leaguers (5 tool phenom F Mart among others)...but Harvey looks like Seaver. On the mound, at the plate, in the dugout.

But for all Harvey's potential greatness, until the Mets actually build a real 25 man team around Harvey, the Mets won't contend. Tom Seaver, first round Hall of Famer, from 1967 thru 1976.....the Mets averaged 80.4 wins per season over that decade. And look at the pitchers that were there to help Seaver. Nobody on the Mets current staff would even make the Mets pitching rotation back in 1969 or 1973 (except for Harvey)
              I agree with you on Harvey, but I don't think they get 77 wins.

As far building a team around Harvey....this off season will tell the tale. This off season there are no more excuses. Everyone is off the books that was holding the spending back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                I agree with you on Harvey, but I don't think they get 77 wins.

As far building a team around Harvey....this off season will tell the tale. This off season there are no more excuses. Everyone is off the books that was holding the spending back.

This season is still young but spending hasn't helped the Angels or the Dodgers and trades haven't helped the Blue Jays. Build from within. Harvey, Wheeler, Montero, Niese, Parnell. The Mets will probably sign one or two free agents. Is anyone confident in their choices??

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
                  [/B]

This season is still young but spending hasn't helped the Angels or the Dodgers and trades haven't helped the Blue Jays. Build from within. Harvey, Wheeler, Montero, Niese, Parnell. The Mets will probably sign one or two free agents. Is anyone confident in their choices??
                  I'm not confident in those five pitchers!

Only one of 'em is a sure choice. (Which has nothing to do with the Angels, Dodgers or Jays).
                  Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post

Only one of 'em is a sure choice. (Which has nothing to do with the Angels, Dodgers or Jays).
                    Were you confident of Harvey this time last year?

Comment

Developing year in year out quality starting pitching is one of the toughest things to do in baseball. Thats why you try not to trade young talented pitching (Wheeler). Will all of them make it? no. But the more you have the better the chances of some making it.

I do agree that after this year my pom poms are going away. I do not believe that foolish spending is the best way to build a team but you must begin to start giving the fans reasons to watch. This year will be succesful in my opinion if the following things happen

Darnaud gets two months in the big leagues and plays well.
                      Wheeler is up by July and finishes at about a 3.50 ERA
                      Niese regains last years form and can be counted on next year as there #2 starter
                      Davis either gets his act together or is gone, Ditto Duda
                      Parnell establishes himself as a dependable closer
                      Tejada hits above .270
                      Murphy hits .300
                      Wright continues to be Wright.

If these things happen I feel with one or two trades and one or two FA signings the team can go into 2014 with a legit chance to contend for a wildcard next year (84 or more wins).

Comment

• Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
                        Developing year in year out quality starting pitching is one of the toughest things to do in baseball. Thats why you try not to trade young talented pitching (Wheeler). Will all of them make it? no. But the more you have the better the chances of some making it.
                        Couldn't agree more. This is what the Phillies did for a good amount of seasons now. Even though they've only produced one very good pitcher in Hamels, they were able to produce others who'd be solid or at least used in trades. JA Happ had a few decent seasons as did Vance Worley and Kyle Kendrick. Prospects like Drabek, Carrasco & Cosart were used in trades to acquire Hunter Pence, Roy Halladay and Cliff Lee.

Teams never have enough pitching, and if you're able to build a stable and keep the stream thru the system running, it provides many options going forward.
                        "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
                          [/B]

Neither spent wisely at all. Pujols was already declining, Hamilton is not the same away from Arlington. Beckett is finished.
                          The Jays will still make some noise as will the Dodgers.

You need to build from within but you need FA also. If you think the talent pool is so rich in the Met system your obviously not paying attention, and to fully rebuild from within will take 70 years. Good luck with that

Comment

• Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post

I do agree that after this year my pom poms are going away. I do not believe that foolish spending is the best way to build a team but you must begin to start giving the fans reasons to watch. This year will be succesful in my opinion if the following things happen
                            Agree that *foolish* spending isn't smart! But targeted spending gets it done. (Like retaining key veterans for example).

Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post

Darnaud gets two months in the big leagues and plays well.
                            Wheeler is up by July and finishes at about a 3.50 ERA
                            Niese regains last years form and can be counted on next year as there #2 starter
                            Davis either gets his act together or is gone, Ditto Duda
                            Parnell establishes himself as a dependable closer
                            Tejada hits above .270
                            Murphy hits .300
                            Wright continues to be Wright.
                            - D'Arnaud is looking like a late-season garbage time call up this season, and he's getting over-ripe on the vine. Perennially injured backstops can still pan out, but odds don't favor.
                            - Wheeler will be up by July and pitch erratically. I think of him as a highly-rated trade chip. Or AJ Burnett.
                            - Niese is a No. 4 starter on a good team. He needs more consistency.
                            - Davis and Duda? Big swingers, massive K rate, occasional bombs. Neither is an answer.
                            - Parnell - yeah, he may. Think that's possible. Good call.
                            - Tejada was by far the most overrated Met last year - he doesn't have any of these qualities: range, arm, speed. Yes, he can sometimes have a pesky bat. He's a No. 8 hitter and could be replaced by a better player.
                            - Murphy is a MLB second baseman, he's a real story for over-coming the odds. That said, with that bat teams are going to ask about him come the trade deadline and he very well could be dealt.
                            - Yeah Wright. The poor guy bought into the whole "plan" nonsense and signed away the rest of his career. He's a much better hitter than strategist!
                            Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
                              Didn't Strasburg also start out in his first couple starts against real bad offensive teams too? I think he had the Pirates either first or second and struck out a ton of them. He got touched up in his first start against a team that was either around .500 or better, can't remember now who that was.
                              In Stras' rookie season he gave up over 3 runs once in 12 starts. That was to the Marlins.

That was also his worst game by FIP, 5.62. His second start, against the Indians, also had a 5+ FIP, 5.33. In that game he went 5.1 innings, with 1 ER, 8 K's and 5 walks. He only had one other start that year with a FIP over 3. July 9th against the Giants he went 6 innings giving up 1 walk, 1 HR and 8 K's. That was a 3.08 FIP.

Strasburg's best start, by FIP, June 23rd vs Royals. 6 innings, 1 run, 0 walks, 9 K's and a .08 FIP

Man, Stras was amazing that year. But that first start...could it have been any better?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...784&vkey=recap

My favorite pitch occurs at :49. 2nd inning vs Young. Wicked. The fastball at 1:18 isn't bad either.

The most amazing thing, IMO, about that game

In the 5th through 7th innings Strasburg struck out 8 while throwing 7 balls.

Harvey...He's good too.

In his debut he went 5.1 giving up 3 walks and K'ing 11. That's a 0.66 FIP.
                              He had back to back starts in August last year where he had single game FIPs of over 6.
                              This year, against Pittsburgh, he had a FIP over 5.

Comment

Agree that *foolish* spending isn't smart! But targeted spending gets it done. (Like retaining key veterans for example).

- D'Arnaud is looking like a late-season garbage time call up this season, and he's getting over-ripe on the vine. Perennially injured backstops can still pan out, but odds don't favor.
                                - Wheeler will be up by July and pitch erratically. I think of him as a highly-rated trade chip. Or AJ Burnett.
                                - Niese is a No. 4 starter on a good team. He needs more consistency.
                                - Davis and Duda? Big swingers, massive K rate, occasional bombs. Neither is an answer.
                                - Parnell - yeah, he may. Think that's possible. Good call.
                                - Tejada was by far the most overrated Met last year - he doesn't have any of these qualities: range, arm, speed. Yes, he can sometimes have a pesky bat. He's a No. 8 hitter and could be replaced by a better player.
                                - Murphy is a MLB second baseman, he's a real story for over-coming the odds. That said, with that bat teams are going to ask about him come the trade deadline and he very well could be dealt.
                                - Yeah Wright. The poor guy bought into the whole "plan" nonsense and signed away the rest of his career. He's a much better hitter than strategist!
                                If your predictions are accurate, we will be watching bad baseball for a long, long time!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X