Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Mets are rebuilding (emphasis on the 'are')

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
    He may once have been talented, but he's disappeared on this team, on this franchise, on this fan base. You can't fire the owners, I realize they're to blame above anyone else. But a pure disaster Alderson has been.
    There's nothing to do - we weren't "one or two" guys away at the break, and if you truly believe that you're delusional.

Comment

He may once have been talented, but he's disappeared on this team, on this franchise, on this fan base. You can't fire the owners, I realize they're to blame above anyone else. But a pure disaster Alderson has been.
      He's still just as talented, and I don't understand why you say he's disappeared on this team. If you realize the owners are to blame above anyone else, then you also realize that Alderson is doing what he can do with what he has to work with. You can't have it both ways.
      Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by CokeMachineGlow View Post
        There's nothing to do - we weren't "one or two" guys away at the break, and if you truly believe that you're delusional.
        This has been my point all along in this ridiculous -Alderson didnt do anything- argument.

I think he is smart enough (if some on this board are) to realize this team was not a real competitor. Why trade away a chip for a middle of the road bullpen guy? To quell a portion of the fanbase that couldnt name you 5 players on another team?

My opinion - Alderson proved how much he does know by not doing anything. As they say - some of the best trades are the ones you dont make -

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
          This has been my point all along in this ridiculous -Alderson didnt do anything- argument.

I think he is smart enough (if some on this board are) to realize this team was not a real competitor. Why trade away a chip for a middle of the road bullpen guy? To quell a portion of the fanbase that couldnt name you 5 players on another team?

My opinion - Alderson proved how much he does know by not doing anything. As they say - some of the best trades are the ones you dont make -
          Here's a couple of things Alderson could have done (and I have said them BEFORE, and I think you agreed with one or some of them)

1) trade Reyes last year at the trading deadline to get something
          2) trade Hairston this year at the trading deadline to get something
          3) do everything possible to trade Santana after the no hitter. In fact I know we posted about that right before he got hurt.
          4) I would have liked to see them release Bay. Yes, they have to pay him; but remember when people on BF wanted Ollie, Castillo, and K-rod all released for various reasons and the Mets would still have to pay them. Bay is hitting .155 Even when the Mets were absolutely terrible in the 1970's they did not have a starter hitting .155. Doug Flynn had a career batting average 83 points higher than that !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
            Here's a couple of things Alderson could have done (and I have said them BEFORE, and I think you agreed with one or some of them)

3) do everything possible to trade Santana after the no hitter. In fact I know we posted about that right before he got hurt.
            4) I would have liked to see them release Bay. Yes, they have to pay him; but remember when people on BF wanted Ollie, Castillo, and K-rod all released for various reasons and the Mets would still have to pay them. Bay is hitting .155 Even when the Mets were absolutely terrible in the 1970's they did not have a starter hitting .155. Doug Flynn had a career batting average 83 points higher than that !!!!
            5. Relievers in June, and a veteran outfielder. The most prominent person to quit on this team this year is Richard 'Sandy' Alderson.
            Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

5. Relievers in June, and a veteran outfielder. The most prominent person to quit on this team this year is Richard 'Sandy' Alderson.
              Neither of those moves would've made a difference and are essentially lateral moves - with the Mets losing cost-controlled resources. Keep clinging onto your absurd fantasy of achieving success without rebuilding - I'm sure that your ignorant and irrelevant opinion is being revered as the blueprint to success up in the front office. Oh, I mean the blueprint to staying mediocre. Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post

Mandrake I have said and agree with all of them right along with you.

But let's look at the things we wanted and see if you feel that either ownership would give the ok or made sense at the time to the fan base

1) trade Reyes. The only chip in attendance wasn't being traded. I have to believe ownership wouldn't allow it
                2) Hairston Alderson said he had offers for him but they weren't very good and wouldn't change a thing
                3) trade Santana. Agree 100%. Imagine the WFAN fan base crying like babies????? Also the attendance thing again
                4) Bay Yeah let's see Wilpon eat salary

I believe Alderson has his hands tied.

Comment

Names ....name names. Who for who?

Mike Trout for who?
                  Kimbrel and Chapman for who? C'mon let's hear it. It would take big time talent to have kept this team in race. Even more than my ridiculous names mentioned above.

Fact is nothing Alderson did was going to keep this team around all year. Wake up

Comment

Names ....name names. Who for who?

Mike Trout for who?
                    Kimbrel and Chapman for who? C'mon let's hear it. It would take big time talent to have kept this team in race. Even more than my ridiculous names mentioned above.

Fact is nothing Alderson did was going to keep this team around all year. Wake up
                    I'm shocked Pauly - you must be related to Alderson somehow. Nobody with your critical eye toward baseball could excuse such incredible inaction, inattentiveness, and obvious disinterest in the job of Mets GM. Again, I'm not naming names (that's for FAN callers) but doing nothing sent a powerful signal to this team, and they got it loud and clear.
                    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

Paul's "critical eye" helps him see the truth - not these delusions that you turn towards, Straw.

Milla, is there any way to prevent certain users from posting in your thread, or does the ignore feature do that? I want to have a discussion - not a fight about Strawman's obsessive hate for Alderson.

Comment

Paul's "critical eye" helps him see the truth - not these delusions that you turn towards, Straw.

Milla, is there any way to prevent certain users from posting in your thread, or does the ignore feature do that? I want to have a discussion - not a fight about Strawman's obsessive hate for Alderson.
                        "Delusions" - like the Mets record since All Star break? I must be dreaming it. Or the long list of moves Alderson made to try and improve this team? All in my head.

I don't hate Sandy Alderson. I merely think he's an incompetent baseball general manager, and actively contributing to ownership running the franchise into the cold, dead earth.

Comment

I'm having a hard time getting this. A list of potential moves Alderson missed on is trading Reyes, Santana and Hairston @ June/July of last/this year is posted and left uncommented on other than to suggest adding a reliever and veteran OF and on the other he is criticized for not gutting the team by doing so like I believe he was last year in trading Beltran and KRod.

Comment

lol ... I love facetiousness. Short of suspension, there's no way to stop anyone from posting anywhere, and Straw certainly doesn't qualify for even a warning, much less suspension. By the same token, though, I've found that even the Ignore feature justs makes us wonder what the ignored poster posts. You're welcome to use it, of course, but I've yet to know anyone who doesn't peek anyway.

However, I do agree that this shouldn't be another "Sandy Alderson thread." Unfortunately, Straw's been on Sandy's case since the day he was hired, before he had even sat down in his new office chair, so it's no surprise to me (or probably anyone else) that he continues to slam him.

"Delusions" - like the Mets record since All Star break? I must be dreaming it. Or the long list of moves Alderson made to try and improve this team? All in my head.

I don't hate Sandy Alderson. I merely think he's an incompetent baseball general manager, and actively contributing to ownership running the franchise into the cold, dead earth.
                            Actively? I thought you said he's been inactive. ...And how can anyone convince you that his moves (or lack thereof) are all at the behest of the Wilpons? When will you realize his hands are tied? The one thing with which I agree is that Reyes should've been traded before the end of last season. That, imo, is the only bad move (or non-move as the case may be) he's made since he took the job. Otherwise, I think he's been doing what he can with what he has to work with. Nothing more, nothing less.

And I'm personally not sold on your assertion that you don't hate him. As I said, you've made it ostentatiously clear since the day he was hired; before he'd even had a chance to make a move.

Anyway, the topic of this thread is about how the Mets are in rebuilding mode; not about how much or little Alderson's done. Granted, Sandy's currently part of the rebuilding equation, but his name doesn't have to be a part of every post regarding it.
                            Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                              lol ... I love facetiousness. Short of suspension, there's no way to stop anyone from posting anywhere, and Straw certainly doesn't qualify for even a warning, much less suspension. By the same token, though, I've found that even the Ignore feature justs makes us wonder what the ignored poster posts. You're welcome to use it, of course, but I've yet to know anyone who doesn't peek anyway.

However, I do agree that this shouldn't be another "Sandy Alderson thread." Unfortunately, Straw's been on Sandy's case since the day he was hired, before he had even sat down in his new office chair, so it's no surprise to me (or probably anyone else) that he continues to slam him.

Actively? I thought you said he's been inactive. ...And how can anyone convince you that his moves (or lack thereof) are all at the behest of the Wilpons? When will you realize his hands are tied? The one thing with which I agree is that Reyes should've been traded before the end of last season. That, imo, is the only bad move (or non-move as the case may be) he's made since he took the job. Otherwise, I think he's been doing what he can with what he has to work with. Nothing more, nothing less.

And I'm personally not sold on your assertion that you don't hate him. As I said, you've made it ostentatiously clear since the day he was hired; before he'd even had a chance to make a move.

Anyway, the topic of this thread is about how the Mets are in rebuilding mode; not about how much or little Alderson's done. Granted, Sandy's currently part of the rebuilding equation, but his name doesn't have to be a part of every post regarding it.

If you have read one of the other threads on this forum where Strawman states that players are "lunkheads" you will see his motives.

Strawman is a paparazzi loving media type. Which explains his hatred for Alderson, and his "fire Sandy Alderson thread", as Milla said, before he sat in his chair. Strawman has been a contributor to this board no doubt, but on another level he has really tried to stir the pot. Paparazzi style. His starting the Alderson thread is the equivlant of the Weekly World News headline "Flying Wolf Boy Attacks Elvis on Mars". Both have the same validity.

He likes playing GM upto a point. That point is where the actual details come into play. He loves saying "Alderson did nothing at the deadline". I have asked him numerous times to give me something he would have done. I didnt ask to put him on the spot, but maybe actual start a discussion on the trade. Maybe Hairston for Broxton? Anything. Does he know who Broxton is? Instead I got "I will leave that upto the WFAN callers". So in true paparazzi style he complains about the GM, but on a forum that is built on discussion he offers none. Just fire the guy....because he wore white after Labor Day...what the hell.

Now I am related to Alderson because I refuse to blame someone for doing a bad job that wasnt given to the tools to do a good one. He has been blamed for putting a shoddy pen together. Which is true the pen didnt perform. Again I asked Joe Paparazzi...did you complain about this pen in February? The answer is no, but Joe Paparazzi waited in the high weeds and waited for something to fail so he can post it on here and say "see I told you this guy sucks".

Bullpens are so fragile year to year that what is great this year can fall apart next and vica-versa. We have all seen it happen.

Question for you Joe Paparazzi - I dont see you posting anything about Jason Bay. You know who that is...that miracle that your boy Omoron Minaya spent a lot of money on. You wont find anything negative that I post about Bay either, because although he looks finished...I root for him.

Come out of the bushes with your camera and pad.....we know your there.

Comment

If you have read one of the other threads on this forum where Strawman states that players are "lunkheads" you will see his motives.

Strawman is a paparazzi loving media type. Which explains his hatred for Alderson, and his "fire Sandy Alderson thread", as Milla said, before he sat in his chair. Strawman has been a contributor to this board no doubt, but on another level he has really tried to stir the pot. Paparazzi style. His starting the Alderson thread is the equivlant of the Weekly World News headline "Flying Wolf Boy Attacks Elvis on Mars". Both have the same validity.

He likes playing GM upto a point. That point is where the actual details come into play. He loves saying "Alderson did nothing at the deadline". I have asked him numerous times to give me something he would have done. I didnt ask to put him on the spot, but maybe actual start a discussion on the trade. Maybe Hairston for Broxton? Anything. Does he know who Broxton is? Instead I got "I will leave that upto the WFAN callers". So in true paparazzi style he complains about the GM, but on a forum that is built on discussion he offers none. Just fire the guy....because he wore white after Labor Day...what the hell.

Now I am related to Alderson because I refuse to blame someone for doing a bad job that wasnt given to the tools to do a good one. He has been blamed for putting a shoddy pen together. Which is true the pen didnt perform. Again I asked Joe Paparazzi...did you complain about this pen in February? The answer is no, but Joe Paparazzi waited in the high weeds and waited for something to fail so he can post it on here and say "see I told you this guy sucks".

Bullpens are so fragile year to year that what is great this year can fall apart next and vica-versa. We have all seen it happen.

Question for you Joe Paparazzi - I dont see you posting anything about Jason Bay. You know who that is...that miracle that your boy Omoron Minaya spent a lot of money on. You wont find anything negative that I post about Bay either, because although he looks finished...I root for him.

Come out of the bushes with your camera and pad.....we know your there.
                                As often as I say "focus on the post, not the poster," it'd be against my better judgement to condone this post. ...But I wholly agree with it.
                                Put it in the books.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X