Announcement

Collapse

Updated Baseball Fever Policy

Baseball Fever Policy

I. Purpose of this announcement:

This announcement describes the policies pertaining to the operation of Baseball Fever.

Baseball Fever is a moderated baseball message board which encourages and facilitates research and information exchange among fans of our national pastime. The intent of the Baseball Fever Policy is to ensure that Baseball Fever remains an extremely high quality, extremely low "noise" environment.

Baseball Fever is administrated by three principal administrators:
webmaster - Baseball Fever Owner
The Commissioner - Baseball Fever Administrator
Macker - Baseball Fever Administrator

And a group of forum specific super moderators. The role of the moderator is to keep Baseball Fever smoothly and to screen posts for compliance with our policy. The moderators are ALL volunteer positions, so please be patient and understanding of any delays you might experience in correspondence.

II. Comments about our policy:

Any suggestions on this policy may be made directly to the webmaster.

III. Acknowledgments:

This document was based on a similar policy used by SABR.

IV. Requirements for participation on Baseball Fever:

Participation on Baseball Fever is available to all baseball fans with a valid email address, as verified by the forum's automated system, which then in turn creates a single validated account. Multiple accounts by a single user are prohibited.

By registering, you agree to adhere to the policies outlined in this document and to conduct yourself accordingly. Abuse of the forum, by repeated failure to abide by these policies, will result in your access being blocked to the forum entirely.

V. Baseball Fever Netiquette:

Participants at Baseball Fever are required to adhere to these principles, which are outlined in this section.
a. All posts to Baseball Fever should be written in clear, concise English, with proper grammar and accurate spelling. The use of abbreviations should be kept to a minimum; when abbreviation is necessary, they should be either well-known (such as etc.), or explained on their first use in your post.

b. Conciseness is a key attribute of a good post.

c. Quote only the portion of a post to which you are responding.

d. Standard capitalization and punctuation make a large difference in the readability of a post. TYPING IN ALL CAPITALS is considered to be "shouting"; it is a good practice to limit use of all capitals to words which you wish to emphasize.

e. It is our policy NOT to transmit any defamatory or illegal materials.

f. Personal attacks of any type against Baseball Fever readers will not be tolerated. In these instances the post will be copied by a moderator and/or administrator, deleted from the site, then sent to the member who made the personal attack via a Private Message (PM) along with a single warning. Members who choose to not listen and continue personal attacks will be banned from the site.

g. It is important to remember that many contextual clues available in face-to-face discussion, such as tone of voice and facial expression, are lost in the electronic forum. As a poster, try to be alert for phrasing that might be misinterpreted by your audience to be offensive; as a reader, remember to give the benefit of the doubt and not to take umbrage too easily. There are many instances in which a particular choice of words or phrasing can come across as being a personal attack where none was intended.

h. The netiquette described above (a-g) often uses the term "posts", but applies equally to Private Messages.

VI. Baseball Fever User Signature Policy

A signature is a piece of text that some members may care to have inserted at the end of ALL of their posts, a little like the closing of a letter. You can set and / or change your signature by editing your profile in the UserCP. Since it is visible on ALL your posts, the following policy must be adhered to:

Signature Composition
Font size limit: No larger than size 2 (This policy is a size 2)
Style: Bold and italics are permissible
Character limit: No more than 500 total characters
Lines: No more than 4 lines
Colors: Most colors are permissible, but those which are hard to discern against the gray background (yellow, white, pale gray) should be avoided
Images/Graphics: Allowed, but nothing larger than 20k and Content rules must be followed

Signature Content
No advertising is permitted
Nothing political or religious
Nothing obscene, vulgar, defamatory or derogatory
Links to personal blogs/websites are permissible - with the webmaster's written consent
A Link to your Baseball Fever Blog does not require written consent and is recommended
Quotes must be attributed. Non-baseball quotes are permissible as long as they are not religious or political

Please adhere to these rules when you create your signature. Failure to do so will result in a request to comply by a moderator. If you do not comply within a reasonable amount of time, the signature will be removed and / or edited by an Administrator. Baseball Fever reserves the right to edit and / or remove any or all of your signature line at any time without contacting the account holder.

VII. Appropriate and inappropriate topics for Baseball Fever:

Most concisely, the test for whether a post is appropriate for Baseball Fever is: "Does this message discuss our national pastime in an interesting manner?" This post can be direct or indirect: posing a question, asking for assistance, providing raw data or citations, or discussing and constructively critiquing existing posts. In general, a broad interpretation of "baseball related" is used.

Baseball Fever is not a promotional environment. Advertising of products, web sites, etc., whether for profit or not-for-profit, is not permitted. At the webmaster's discretion, brief one-time announcements for products or services of legitimate baseball interest and usefulness may be allowed. If advertising is posted to the site it will be copied by a moderator and/or administrator, deleted from the site, then sent to the member who made the post via a Private Message (PM) along with a single warning. Members who choose to not listen and continue advertising will be banned from the site. If the advertising is spam-related, pornography-based, or a "visit-my-site" type post / private message, no warning at all will be provided, and the member will be banned immediately without a warning.

It is considered appropriate to post a URL to a page which specifically and directly answers a question posted on the list (for example, it would be permissible to post a link to a page containing home-road splits, even on a site which has advertising or other commercial content; however, it would not be appropriate to post the URL of the main page of the site). The site reserves the right to limit the frequency of such announcements by any individual or group.

In keeping with our test for a proper topic, posting to Baseball Fever should be treated as if you truly do care. This includes posting information that is, to the best of your knowledge, complete and accurate at the time you post. Any errors or ambiguities you catch later should be acknowledged and corrected in the thread, since Baseball Fever is sometimes considered to be a valuable reference for research information.

VIII. Role of the moderator:

When a post is submitted to Baseball Fever, it is forwarded by the server automatically and seen immediately. The moderator may:
a. Leave the thread exactly like it was submitted. This is the case 95% of the time.

b. Immediately delete the thread as inappropriate for Baseball Fever. Examples include advertising, personal attacks, or spam. This is the case 1% of the time.

c. Move the thread. If a member makes a post about the Marlins in the Yankees forum it will be moved to the appropriate forum. This is the case 3% of the time.

d. Edit the message due to an inappropriate item. This is the case 1% of the time. There have been new users who will make a wonderful post, then add to their signature line (where your name / handle appears) a tagline that is a pure advertisement. This tagline will be removed, a note will be left in the message so he/she is aware of the edit, and personal contact will be made to the poster telling them what has been edited and what actions need to be taken to prevent further edits.

The moderators perform no checks on posts to verify factual or logical accuracy. While he/she may point out gross errors in factual data in replies to the thread, the moderator does not act as an "accuracy" editor. Also moderation is not a vehicle for censorship of individuals and/or opinions, and the moderator's decisions should not be taken personally.

IX. Legal aspects of participation in Baseball Fever:

By submitting a post to Baseball Fever, you grant Baseball Fever permission to distribute your message to the forum. Other rights pertaining to the post remain with the ORIGINAL author, and you may not redistribute or retransmit any posts by any others, in whole or in part, without the express consent of the original author.

The messages appearing on Baseball Fever contain the opinions and views of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of Baseball Fever, or of the Baseball Almanac family of sites.

Sincerely,

Sean Holtz, Webmaster of Baseball Almanac & Baseball Fever
www.baseball-almanac.com | www.baseball-fever.com
"Baseball Almanac: Sharing Baseball. Sharing History."
See more
See less

Mets 2012/2013 Off-Season Thread

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Harpers article in the DN is right on as far as the Dickey situation IMO. I still see this as a negotiation but the Mets cannot have it both ways. You cannot offer to pay Dickey like a #3 and try to trade him as a Cy Young "difference maker". Dickey can be a difference maker on a team ready to compete for the playoffs but on the Mets without any upgrades to there bullpen/outfield/catcher he is just a good pitcher and fun to watch but not someone who can turn them into a contender by himself. I am still interested to see how this plays out and I cannot believe that this team can go into 2013 with the same outfield/Catcher as last year. I do see them letting the young arms compete in the bullpen but they have restructured Wrights contract and Bays to free up money this year while still staying within there "budget". I do not know what they will do but I think they should at a minimum, sign a Outfielder and get a right handed hitting catcher. Not ready to burn my season tickets yet but I think the Mets will or are finding out why even though you can build a long term winning team with a mid to small market mentality, it is much tougher to do it in NYC. And to clarify, I do not think 90 to 110 mil is small market.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
      Harpers article in the DN is right on as far as the Dickey situation IMO. I still see this as a negotiation but the Mets cannot have it both ways. You cannot offer to pay Dickey like a #3 and try to trade him as a Cy Young "difference maker". Dickey can be a difference maker on a team ready to compete for the playoffs but on the Mets without any upgrades to there bullpen/outfield/catcher he is just a good pitcher and fun to watch but not someone who can turn them into a contender by himself. I am still interested to see how this plays out and I cannot believe that this team can go into 2013 with the same outfield/Catcher as last year. I do see them letting the young arms compete in the bullpen but they have restructured Wrights contract and Bays to free up money this year while still staying within there "budget". I do not know what they will do but I think they should at a minimum, sign a Outfielder and get a right handed hitting catcher. Not ready to burn my season tickets yet but I think the Mets will or are finding out why even though you can build a long term winning team with a mid to small market mentality, it is much tougher to do it in NYC. And to clarify, I do not think 90 to 110 mil is small market.
      Well dont burn them yet, but you should have the lighter fluid and matches handy.

      The problem is your trying to figure out how to make the team better, and Wilscum is trying to figure out how to not make you burn your tickets. Hence the Wright signing.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
        Well dont burn them yet, but you should have the lighter fluid and matches handy.

        The problem is your trying to figure out how to make the team better, and Wilscum is trying to figure out how to not make you burn your tickets. Hence the Wright signing.
        You are right. I do think the Wright signing will help the Mets if they put good players around him. So far they have not. There is definately a short term reason for signing Wright (ticket sales and maintaining whatever good will is left) but Wright is one of the best all around third baseman in baseball. As a father and someone who respects good people and likes to reward it, Wright is the kind of guy you want your kids to root for and emulate and that is worth something to me. I guess its the waiting game again but if Alderson's statement he made about maybe doing nothing are correct (I do not think they are, think Poker Game) he and the Mets are making a big mistake.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
          You are right. I do think the Wright signing will help the Mets if they put good players around him. So far they have not. There is definately a short term reason for signing Wright (ticket sales and maintaining whatever good will is left) but Wright is one of the best all around third baseman in baseball. As a father and someone who respects good people and likes to reward it, Wright is the kind of guy you want your kids to root for and emulate and that is worth something to me. I guess its the waiting game again but if Alderson's statement he made about maybe doing nothing are correct (I do not think they are, think Poker Game) he and the Mets are making a big mistake.
          I agree on Wright. He is a really good kid. He was visiting some schools on Staten Island last week and dontated 250k because of Hurricane Sandy. I am glad he is a Met.

          Where we differ is on our belief of what Alderson said (in some peoples estimation we can again use the term Hurricane Sandy....not mine). I think the Mets, although signed Wright, reduced payroll substantially. Outside of the small chance that they sign RA, if they do anything it will be on a very small scale. I seriously doubt anyone of any impact will be signed.

          Comment


          • Last I heard, Dickey was looking for a $26M extension and that prior to the Mets' "upping their offer", they were at about $20M. Earlier today, the Red Sox signed Ryan Dempster to a 2-year / $26.5M deal. That's right at what Dickey's apparently looking for. Compare each pitcher's previous three seasons...
            Code:
                       ERA   IP   BB    K   BB/9   K/9   ERA+
            .
            Dempster  4.04  591  220  552    3.4   8.4   102
            Dickey    2.95  617  150  468    2.2   6.8   129
            It's not even close. Either the Mets realize this and sign him today, or I think he will be traded quite quickly.
            "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

            Comment


            • I really do hope they sign Dickey...I've been out of the Mets loop for a while (about January my Mets senses will probably start tingling again) so I haven't followed this too much--

              But they should find a way to sign Dickey.
              "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

              Comment


              • I really do hope they sign Dickey...I've been out of the Mets loop for a while (about January my Mets senses will probably start tingling again) so I haven't followed this too much--

                But they should find a way to sign Dickey.
                "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

                Comment


                • Eleven Days to Christmas

                  With Santa just eleven days away......would Mets fans love to have something besides Wilpon's coal in their stockings?

                  Would you rather be an Angels fan, or at least would you want to trade teams with them, this morning ? Or a Dodgers fan, or at least trade team line ups? Or the Giants?

                  Instead, we have a GM that makes jokes about the line up ! Bah humbug...we're on the right track, humbug.

                  Oh, and the Angels are interested in RA Dickey.

                  It makes cost-controlled Angels outfielders like Peter Bourjos and/or Trumbo, and perhaps even designated hitter Kendrys Morales, expendable. Dipoto could use that flexibility to add another starter pitcher -- like knuckleballer R.A. Dickey of the Mets, or perhaps Jeremy Hellickson of the Rays, or Ricky Nolasco of the Marlins -- to a currently mediocre staff

                  "Wow," Trout simply wrote on his Twitter account, @Trouty20 -- and everyone knew what he was referring to.

                  http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                    With Santa just eleven days away......would Mets fans love to have something besides Wilpon's coal in their stockings?

                    Would you rather be an Angels fan, or at least would you want to trade teams with them, this morning ? Or a Dodgers fan, or at least trade team line ups? Or the Giants?

                    Instead, we have a GM that makes jokes about the line up ! Bah humbug...we're on the right track, humbug.

                    Oh, and the Angels are interested in RA Dickey.

                    It makes cost-controlled Angels outfielders like Peter Bourjos and/or Trumbo, and perhaps even designated hitter Kendrys Morales, expendable. Dipoto could use that flexibility to add another starter pitcher -- like knuckleballer R.A. Dickey of the Mets, or perhaps Jeremy Hellickson of the Rays, or Ricky Nolasco of the Marlins -- to a currently mediocre staff

                    "Wow," Trout simply wrote on his Twitter account, @Trouty20 -- and everyone knew what he was referring to.

                    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb
                    You are right! The Mets lineup (not pitching staff) is a joke compared to any of these teams. I just do not think there is any quick fix for this team. Would Hamilton be a good fit in NYC for 5 years? no. Is Greinke a good investment? no. Victorino, Pagan, Napoli, no. Most Met fans (yes, you are definately in the majority) want a quick fix, its not there. IMO, trying for a quick fix for this team will just give them over the hill, overpriced players in a few years and not bring much improvement in the present. There are not enough difference makers to make a difference for the Mets next year. Having said that, I do think a Mets fan can enjoy watching young players, Harvey, Wheeler, Tejada, Davis, maybe Duda develop. With a good trade or two (yes, I am also waiting for one) the Mets can develop a good team, not buy one. If I wanted to root for a bought team, I would have become a Yankee fan a long time ago. And believe me, we all know there have been a lot of opportunities to switch to the Yanks over the years.

                    GO TEAM!!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
                      You are right! The Mets lineup (not pitching staff) is a joke compared to any of these teams. I just do not think there is any quick fix for this team. Would Hamilton be a good fit in NYC for 5 years? no. Is Greinke a good investment? no. Victorino, Pagan, Napoli, no. Most Met fans (yes, you are definately in the majority) want a quick fix, its not there. IMO, trying for a quick fix for this team will just give them over the hill, overpriced players in a few years and not bring much improvement in the present. There are not enough difference makers to make a difference for the Mets next year. Having said that, I do think a Mets fan can enjoy watching young players, Harvey, Wheeler, Tejada, Davis, maybe Duda develop. With a good trade or two (yes, I am also waiting for one) the Mets can develop a good team, not buy one. If I wanted to root for a bought team, I would have become a Yankee fan a long time ago. And believe me, we all know there have been a lot of opportunities to switch to the Yanks over the years.

                      GO TEAM!!
                      First of all do you really think the Mets are a trade away from being a good team. My Lord some Met fans just can not get enough of the Kool Aid.

                      Second - you spew the usual bitter Met fan mantra of how the Yanks "buy the championship". That is such garbage. Sour grapes anyone? The Yanks have made some great trades along the way that help build their mid 90's dynasty. For example - Roberto Kelly for Paul Oneill. Thats just to name one.

                      Also the Yankees have the financial ability, and the common sense to sign their own players without too much ridiculous media coverage...unlike some other NY team that I wont mention right now. For example..Jeter, Mo, Posada, Bernie, and the list goes on.

                      I very carefully chose the words "financial", and "common sense". Now the Wilscums clearly have one, but they are very short on the other. I will let you make that decision. Your Wilscums have ZERO interest in your interest in their product. ZERO. They spit in your soup 162 times a year and yet you show up for dinner and order the soup 162 times. Good for you.

                      We should be so lucky as to have the Mets follow the Yanks business model.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                        First of all do you really think the Mets are a trade away from being a good team. My Lord some Met fans just can not get enough of the Kool Aid.

                        Second - you spew the usual bitter Met fan mantra of how the Yanks "buy the championship". That is such garbage. Sour grapes anyone? The Yanks have made some great trades along the way that help build their mid 90's dynasty. For example - Roberto Kelly for Paul Oneill. Thats just to name one.

                        Also the Yankees have the financial ability, and the common sense to sign their own players without too much ridiculous media coverage...unlike some other NY team that I wont mention right now. For example..Jeter, Mo, Posada, Bernie, and the list goes on.

                        I very carefully chose the words "financial", and "common sense". Now the Wilscums clearly have one, but they are very short on the other. I will let you make that decision. Your Wilscums have ZERO interest in your interest in their product. ZERO. They spit in your soup 162 times a year and yet you show up for dinner and order the soup 162 times. Good for you.

                        We should be so lucky as to have the Mets follow the Yanks business model.
                        One or two good trades away from DEVELOPING a good team, read it again. Sour Grapes, nope. I am happy to be a Mets fan, most on here will only be happy to be a Met fan when they start winning. The O'neill trade was a salary dump by a small market team. Most of the Yankees "great trades" were because smaller market teams could not afford the players anymore, not because of a superior or smarter front office. That deal helps prove my point!! Again, instead of spending so much time knocking a team you claim to be a fan of, why not just root for the team you want them to be? There was a lot of time to discuss things the Mets could do to be a better team, remember the 7 or 8 moves plan that you said could easily be done but chose not to discuss? However you choose to always go back to the terrible Wilpon's, its all there fault! That's a copout and frankly is nothing more then the same theme for the last few years since they were losing. It is very easy to critisize, but difficult to figure out a way to fix the problem. The guys left who continue to bash this team on these threads choose the easy way!!

                        GO TEAM!!

                        Comment


                        • If Alderson manages to pull off a D'Arnaud for Dickey deal I'll be ecstatic.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by CokeMachineGlow View Post
                            If Alderson manages to pull off a D'Arnaud for Dickey deal I'll be ecstatic.
                            I want to see who else the Mets have to give up first. Its nice to talk baseball finally

                            Comment


                            • Looks like the Dickey deal will be wrapped up by tomorrow, hopefully!! I will miss RA as he was one of the few things I could root for the last couple of years. I can still root for him in Toronto since his success will not hurt the Mets, which is good. I do feel this trade is very important in trying to help transform this team. If D'Arnaud is what experts say, he will give the Mets an advantage over most other teams in baseball. They will have a catcher who can hit, which is very rare and hard to come by. Buck needs to be insurance since Thole is rumored to go with RA. Who knows about the minor league pitcher but what he does give them at the least is another trade chip or the ability for them to not hesitate trading one of there other rookie pitchers with potential (besides Wheeler), it creates depth and may allow a deal to be made for a outfielder or two. Time will only tell.
                              This trade confirms the Mets are being built for the future, just do not expect the Mets to say it.

                              GO TEAM!!

                              Comment


                              • In other news, the Twins are going to sign Mike Pelfrey.
                                Last edited by Cowtipper; 12-17-2012, 05:22 AM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X