One Game More...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Game More...

I finally have an iPod Touch, and so can finally use it to download and store some baseball games (because hey, I listen to classical music and opera and THAT I can get for free--well, unless it's to watch an opera live, anyway, so what else is there for me to get on iTunes) and I'm getting 12 games...

I have 11 picked, need one more--

Already getting the Essential Games of Shea Stadium set & maybe Johan's no-no on DVD...

Already have 2 Mets games in my to-be-12 (NLCS Game 6 '86 and a game I actually WATCHED that the Mets won--a rarity, I know!--the Bin Laden Game from 2011, a good game I saw, good memories, and it bookends things nicely with the Piazza/9-11 game)...

After not finding another Vin Scully game I wanted to add to the list, and getting all the non-Yankee/Phillie/Braves historic wins I wanted (I just can't stand to sit through 3 hours of baseball knowing it's going to end with THAAAAAA Yankees win, I'll sit through 3 hours of Mozart's "Don Giovanni" or Branagh's 4-hour "Hamlet" or even the 5-hour ALCS Game 4 from 2004 with Ortiz winning it late, but NOT THAT) I've decided to make it #12 another Mets game...

Preferably 1999-present, ie, a game I may actually have seen and obviously, a game where the Mets WIN (oh, there's plenty where they LOSE close games available...oh so many choices from 200-12 for iTunes in THAT department...)

So, suggestions?

I wish that 20-inning game against the Cardinals from 2010 was available, but alas, no...I think an extra-inning loss to STL from that series is available, but for some reason, that's for sale but not the 20-inning epic that I had time to start watching, listen to on the radio as I showered, follow for 3 and a half hours on my cell phone while at a play, follow some more after said play, and finally ended when we got to Dennys and I might've been able to relax and enjoy it.)
    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

(On a slightly more off topic note:

As my title's taken from that musical/operetta...anyone see "Les Mis" in theatres yet? I liked it...it could've--should've--been a LOT better, should've been a 5-star masterpiece, really, but it was a solid 3.5/4 stars...at least it was when Russel Crowe wasn't sinning against musicals, opera, Victor Hugo and humanity in general with that "singing voice" of his...ugh.

And how did the holidays treat everyone?)
    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Why not rent one you don't know the result of, if that's possible? Just a day at the ballpark.

If it were me, I'd rent game 1 of the 63 world series 12 times, make sure they all come out the same.
      Indeed the first step toward finding out is to acknowledge you do not satisfactorily know already; so that no blight can so surely arrest all intellectual growth as the blight of cocksureness.--CS Peirce

Comment

Here's some suggestions of games you may be interested in adding:
        Saturday July 10,1999-The Mets beat the Yankees 9-8 as Matt Franco hit a two-out two-run walkoff single off of Mariano
        Rivera in the bottom of the ninth.Milladrive was at the SHeDAISY concert that afternoon as it was a day game so he may
        want to see it as well.

Saturday October 9,1999-Game 4 of the NLDS-The Mets beat the Diamondbacks 4-3 in 10 innings on Todd Pratt's walkoff
        home run to get into the NLCS.

Friday June 30,2000-The Mets beat the Braves 11-8 after trailing in this game 8-1 as the Mets scored 10 runs in the bottom
        of the eighth as Mike Piazza's 3-run homer breaks the tie.

Saturday October 7,2000-Game 3 of the NLDS-The Mets beat the Giants 3-2 in 13 innings on Benny Agbayani's walkoff
        home run.

Sunday October 8,2000-Game 4 of the NLDS-The Mets beat the Giants 4-0 on righty Bobby Jones's one-hit complete game
        shutout to get into the NLCS.

Monday October 16,2000-Game 5 of the NLCS-The Mets beat the Cardinals 7-0 on Mike Hampton's three-hit complete game
        shutout to get into the World Series.
        "You don't give up any runs,we'll guarantee you
        at least a tie." ~ Grote to Koosman

Comment

Originally posted by Jackaroo Dave View Post
          Why not rent one you don't know the result of, if that's possible? Just a day at the ballpark.

If it were me, I'd rent game 1 of the 63 world series 12 times, make sure they all come out the same.
          Sadly they list the scores right in the description...so it gives it away...

That's what I do with the radio/TV audio recordings I make, though...with 50 to 75 or so over the last 3 seasons (mostly of Mets, Dodgers, and Yankees vs. Red Sox baseball) and then select classic games on radio (plus the game from 2009 where the Mets played the Dodgers, had it WON, and Ryan Church missed a base and the Mets lost on a throwing error, that was the first game I ever recorded, I can STILL remember Vin Scully's call fresh in my head--"Marv Throneberry lives again! The METS live again!"--so it's at the point where I can pick one, teams and date, and not always know the winner, it happened a few days ago, I was listening to a 2010 Mets/Braves game...and was shocked how many non-Wright Mets are now Ex-Mets, just about everyone!)

On that note, though, THIS game I don't now the score of...you might, but I'm gonna watch it now...

But I add it here in case anyone wants to convert it to an MP4 and add it to their collection, as I just did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbh7UpKvTyk

Originally posted by Joe Rigatoni View Post
          Here's some suggestions of games you may be interested in adding:
          Saturday July 10,1999-The Mets beat the Yankees 9-8 as Matt Franco hit a two-out two-run walkoff single off of Mariano
          Rivera in the bottom of the ninth.Milladrive was at the SHeDAISY concert that afternoon as it was a day game so he may
          want to see it as well.

Saturday October 9,1999-Game 4 of the NLDS-The Mets beat the Diamondbacks 4-3 in 10 innings on Todd Pratt's walkoff
          home run to get into the NLCS.

Friday June 30,2000-The Mets beat the Braves 11-8 after trailing in this game 8-1 as the Mets scored 10 runs in the bottom
          of the eighth as Mike Piazza's 3-run homer breaks the tie.

Saturday October 7,2000-Game 3 of the NLDS-The Mets beat the Giants 3-2 in 13 innings on Benny Agbayani's walkoff
          home run.

Sunday October 8,2000-Game 4 of the NLDS-The Mets beat the Giants 4-0 on righty Bobby Jones's one-hit complete game
          shutout to get into the NLCS.

Monday October 16,2000-Game 5 of the NLCS-The Mets beat the Cardinals 7-0 on Mike Hampton's three-hit complete game
          shutout to get into the World Series.
          ...I actually had the idea for the Agbayani game, I remember watching that one as a kid, but iTunes doesn't have any of them...

I've got an idea for maybe another Mets/Phillies game they win in extras back in 2008...4/10/10, I think...

They have one 4/19/10, but that has Heilman, and a 2007 game against the Giants, but that has Ollie, and I prefer not to be reminded of EITHER...

So maybe that...or I may just give up on finding another Mets game I want (I AM buying 7 between the DVD set and iTunes...and that's already more times than I might see the Mets win on TV THIS year, lol!) and get another...just a matter of the teams...

No Yankee, Braves, or Phillies wins...
          I'm already buying 2 Dodger wins (both because they're classic--Gibson's Game and Game 7 1965, which I can tolerate because Jewish hero Sandy's on the mound, and I have a ball signed by him my uncle gave me years back, so Sandy's a Dodger I'll "root" for, especially knowing he wins, lol--and because it's Vin Scully with the call, and I can't get enough calls by him in my collection before the dark day when there are no more by him to collect) so they're out...
          I have plenty of Red Sox games, and I'm getting more (2004 ALCS)...
          Couldn't find a Giants game I felt like buying (Cain and the Giants/Reds game need a year or so in my memory before they're fun to watch again, I think)...
          Buying a Cardinals game already (Freese's 2011 Game 6 winner, which is great, $20+ for the Blu-Ray/DVD or $2 on iTunes, no contest there)...
          Buying a Cubs game already (The Bartman Game)...
          There aren't any Angel games I want...

I'm considering getting an Orioles game right now, since they lose in the Miracle Mets WS game and another I'm getting has them losing too (Game 7 1971)...

So Mets 2008 or an O's win, it looks like.

Comment

OK, I'll add the Swingin' A's 1974 Game 1 WS win over the Dodgers (decent game, and it's another Vin Scully game...)

But I may yet ditch Game 5 of the 2004 ALCS (Game 6 is the one I really want and am getting, the Bloody Sock Game, Game 5's good, but at 5 hours...I LOVE long baseball games, but when am I gonna watch that?) and have another slot open for another Mets game.

Comment

Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
              OK, I'll add the Swingin' A's 1974 Game 1 WS win over the Dodgers (decent game, and it's another Vin Scully game...)

But I may yet ditch Game 5 of the 2004 ALCS (Game 6 is the one I really want and am getting, the Bloody Sock Game, Game 5's good, but at 5 hours...I LOVE long baseball games, but when am I gonna watch that?) and have another slot open for another Mets game.
              I think all seven games of the 2004 ALCS are worth having, so I'm glad they're all included in the '04 WS box set.
              Put it in the books.

Comment

^That box set is stuffed...if I were a Sox fan, I'd buy them, but as is, I'd just want 4 games (4-7 of the ALCS) and I have Game 4 already.

Game 6 I know I want, the Bloody Sock Game...and I love long games, but when will I watch the 5-hour Game 5?

And If I'm already getting one from that series, and I like variety, my 12 games range from 1965-2011:

1965: Dodgers @ Twins—World Series Game 7
                1971: Pirates @ Orioles—World Series Game 7
                1974: Athletics @ Dodgers—World Series Game 1
                1986: Mets @ Astros—NLCS Game 6
                1988: Athletics @ Dodgers—World Series Game 1
                1995: Yankees @ Mariners—ALDS Game 5
                2001: Yankees @ Diamondbacks—World Series Game 7
                2003: Marlins @ Cubs—NLCS Game 6
                2004: Yankees @ Red Sox—ALCS Game 5 (may swap this one out for another game)
                2004: Red Sox @ Yankees—ALCS Game 6
                2011: Mets @ Phillies—The Bin Laden-Dead Game
                2011: Rangers @ Cardinals—World Series Game 6

Comment

^That box set is stuffed...if I were a Sox fan, I'd buy them, but as is, I'd just want 4 games (4-7 of the ALCS) and I have Game 4 already.

Game 6 I know I want, the Bloody Sock Game...and I love long games, but when will I watch the 5-hour Game 5?

And If I'm already getting one from that series, and I like variety, my 12 games range from 1965-2011:

1965: Dodgers @ Twins—World Series Game 7
                  1971: Pirates @ Orioles—World Series Game 7
                  1974: Athletics @ Dodgers—World Series Game 1
                  1986: Mets @ Astros—NLCS Game 6
                  1988: Athletics @ Dodgers—World Series Game 1
                  1995: Yankees @ Mariners—ALDS Game 5
                  2001: Yankees @ Diamondbacks—World Series Game 7
                  2003: Marlins @ Cubs—NLCS Game 6
                  2004: Yankees @ Red Sox—ALCS Game 5 (may swap this one out for another game)
                  2004: Red Sox @ Yankees—ALCS Game 6
                  2011: Mets @ Phillies—The Bin Laden-Dead Game
                  2011: Rangers @ Cardinals—World Series Game 6
                  What "Bin Laden-Dead Game?" Was that seriously a thing?
                  Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
                    What "Bin Laden-Dead Game?" Was that seriously a thing?
                    5/1/11--Mets @ Phillies, Mets win in 14 innings, crowd cheering "USA, USA!" and all for a solid 10 minutes or so when the news broke they got Bin Laden...?

Just my own quick name for it, that's not like it's official name or anything.

Comment

Sadly they list the scores right in the description...so it gives it away...

That's what I do with the radio/TV audio recordings I make, though...with 50 to 75 or so over the last 3 seasons (mostly of Mets, Dodgers, and Yankees vs. Red Sox baseball) and then select classic games on radio (plus the game from 2009 where the Mets played the Dodgers, had it WON, and Ryan Church missed a base and the Mets lost on a throwing error, that was the first game I ever recorded, I can STILL remember Vin Scully's call fresh in my head--"Marv Throneberry lives again! The METS live again!"--so it's at the point where I can pick one, teams and date, and not always know the winner, it happened a few days ago, I was listening to a 2010 Mets/Braves game...and was shocked how many non-Wright Mets are now Ex-Mets, just about everyone!)

On that note, though, THIS game I don't now the score of...you might, but I'm gonna watch it now...

But I add it here in case anyone wants to convert it to an MP4 and add it to their collection, as I just did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbh7UpKvTyk

...I actually had the idea for the Agbayani game, I remember watching that one as a kid, but iTunes doesn't have any of them...

I've got an idea for maybe another Mets/Phillies game they win in extras back in 2008...4/10/10, I think...

They have one 4/19/10, but that has Heilman, and a 2007 game against the Giants, but that has Ollie, and I prefer not to be reminded of EITHER...

So maybe that...or I may just give up on finding another Mets game I want (I AM buying 7 between the DVD set and iTunes...and that's already more times than I might see the Mets win on TV THIS year, lol!) and get another...just a matter of the teams...

No Yankee, Braves, or Phillies wins...
                      I'm already buying 2 Dodger wins (both because they're classic--Gibson's Game and Game 7 1965, which I can tolerate because Jewish hero Sandy's on the mound, and I have a ball signed by him my uncle gave me years back, so Sandy's a Dodger I'll "root" for, especially knowing he wins, lol--and because it's Vin Scully with the call, and I can't get enough calls by him in my collection before the dark day when there are no more by him to collect) so they're out...
                      I have plenty of Red Sox games, and I'm getting more (2004 ALCS)...
                      Couldn't find a Giants game I felt like buying (Cain and the Giants/Reds game need a year or so in my memory before they're fun to watch again, I think)...
                      Buying a Cardinals game already (Freese's 2011 Game 6 winner, which is great, $20+ for the Blu-Ray/DVD or $2 on iTunes, no contest there)...
                      Buying a Cubs game already (The Bartman Game)...
                      There aren't any Angel games I want...

I'm considering getting an Orioles game right now, since they lose in the Miracle Mets WS game and another I'm getting has them losing too (Game 7 1971)...

So Mets 2008 or an O's win, it looks like.
                      Here's some suggestions of games you may be interested in adding from Mets 2008:
                      Thursday April 10,2008-(the game that you mentioned)-The Mets beat the Phillies 4-3 in 12 innings.In the bottom of the
                      twelfth with no on and two outs Jose Reyes doubled and Angel Pagan singled him home with the winning run.

Sunday June 1,2008-The Mets beat the Dodgers 6-1 Sunday night on ESPN.Johan Santana gets his 100th career win.
                      June 1 has been very good to Santana as exactly four years later he pitches a no-hitter.The Mets hit Hiroki Kuroda very
                      hard in this game as Kuroda gives up 6 runs,all earned and 7 hits in 2 2/3 innings.

Tuesday June 24,2008-(strictly for curiosity factor)-The Mets lose 11-0 to the Mariners at Shea as R.A.Dickey pitches
                      7 scoreless innings for the Mariners in this game.

Sunday September 7,2008-The Mets beat the Phillies 6-3 in the second game of a day/night doubleheader Sunday night
                      on ESPN.Carlos Delgado goes 3 for 4 with 2 home runs,4 rbi,2 runs scored,and has exactly 100 rbi for the season after this
                      game.Johan Santana gets the win as he pitches 7 1/3 innings and gives up 2 runs.

Saturday September 27,2008-The Mets beat the Marlins 2-0 as Johan Santana pitches a complete game shutout with a torn
                      meniscus.As a result the Mets were still in playoff contention for a wild card spot going into the last day of the regular season.This was also the last Mets win at Shea.

Interestingly enough that you picked 2008 as coincidentally in the new movie Silver Linings Playbook with Robert De Niro,
                      Bradley Cooper,and Jennifer Lawrence the movie takes place in 2008.And they use in the movie the actual scores of Eagles
                      games and Phillies games from 2008.And all of the scores are accurate except for one.The movie mentions that the Eagles
                      beat the Seahawks 14-7 when in real life the Eagles beat the Seahawks 26-7.And to make matters worse the movie mentions that the Eagles lead the Seahawks 27-10 and then later in the movie the Eagles ended up beating the Seahawks
                      14-7.They don't subtract points in games last time I checked.And the Eagles only played the Seahawks once that year.
                      Ah,movie mistakes.And the New York Giants game at Philadelphia that year was a night game and not a day game.And when
                      Jennifer Lawrence mentions that when Bradley Cooper hangs out with her the Eagles and Phillies win and when he doesn't
                      the Eagles and Phillies lose.So there was a game she mentions when the Eagles win but she conveniently left out at the
                      same time the Phillies lost Game 3 of the NLCS to the Dodgers 7-2.But yet she mentions that the Phillies won Game 4 of the
                      NLCS to the Dodgers 7-5 the next night.They didn't mention this in the movie but they could have mentioned on Sunday
                      September 7 during the day the Eagles beat the Rams 38-3 and the Phillies beat the Mets in the first game of a day/night
                      doubleheader 6-2 when they could have hung out together but at night the Mets beat the Phillies in the second game of a
                      day/night doubleheader 6-3 when they could have not hung out together.Anyway,all of the other scores are accurate and
                      it is a great movie that is definitely worth seeing.
                      "You don't give up any runs,we'll guarantee you
                      at least a tie." ~ Grote to Koosman

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X