• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucas Duda

(Sung to the tune of "Old MacDonald")

Who leads the league in OPS?

Du-Da! Du-Da!

(I always said he could hit.)

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

It's not like I was ridiculed on here for saying Duda could easily replace Davis at first, production-wise.

Comment

Originally posted by CokeMachineGlow View Post
      It's not like I was ridiculed on here for saying Duda could easily replace Davis at first, production-wise.
      14 games

Coco Crisp leads the AL in wRC+. Do you think he'll continue to lead at the end of the season as well?

Comment

Originally posted by filihok View Post
        14 games

Coco Crisp leads the AL in wRC+. Do you think he'll continue to lead at the end of the season as well?
        I know it's a small sample size, but I've always said that they have similar offensive profiles.

Comment

He'd be the worst defensive 1B since Frank Thomas. Duda is a DH in the wrong league.
          They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
            He'd be the worst defensive 1B since Frank Thomas. Duda is a DH in the wrong league.
            First base is the least important defensive position.

Comment

First base is the least important defensive position.
              Least important doesn't mean that it doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by filihok View Post
                Least important doesn't mean that it doesn't matter.
                I know.....which is specifically why I put "least important."

Duda's offensive production is good enough to mitigate his weakness on the defensive end.

Comment

Duda's offensive production is good enough to mitigate his weakness on the defensive end.
                  Not really.
                  Somewhere on this site I did a calculation of Duda's value as a first baseman but because the search function sucks I can't find it. It wasn't good. Like a 1.5 WAR player. He doesn't hit/field enough to be a good first baseman. He doesn't hit/field enough to be a good out fielder.

Comment

According to ESPN he is 4th in OPS in the NL, and 7th in MLB. I am going to check the Oakland A's board and see if there is a thread that Coco Crisp is actually 6th in OPS. Yes Coco Crisp. Lets put "leading the league" into perspective on April 21st.

Don't get me wrong...I hope Duda actually leads the planet in OPS after game 162.
                    Last edited by Paulypal; 04-21-2013, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                      (Sung to the tune of "Old MacDonald")

Who leads the league in OPS?

Du-Da! Du-Da!
                      I thought it was "Camptown Races"...you know how it goes...

Camptown Races sing this song,
                      Du-da! Du-da!
                      Pennant Races? Not under Wilpon!
                      But oh! Duda can play!
                      Well, actually he can just hit,
                      His fielding's sort of--
                      erm, "sub-par,"
                      But stil, oh yes, Lucas can hit
                      All the Du-da day!

"Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Tell Keith Hernandez 1st base is the least important position. In my opinion, a good defensive 1b man trumps a good defensive LF anyday.

Comment

Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
                          Tell Keith Hernandez 1st base is the least important position. In my opinion, a good defensive 1b man trumps a good defensive LF anyday.
                          I completely agree. First base is really the only position where a player prevents errors. Years ago my dad took me to a Mets-Cardinals game, probably early 1980's. Keith made a few great plays at first that saved doubles and a few runs for St Loo.. He also made some great picks on what could have been errors. On the other hand, Kingman had a few " ¡Olé! " plays at first, and could not get several throws in the dirt. The entire run differential could be traced to first base and the difference between Keith and Kingman.

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                            I completely agree. First base is really the only position where a player prevents errors. Years ago my dad took me to a Mets-Cardinals game, probably early 1980's. Keith made a few great plays at first that saved doubles and a few runs for St Loo.. He also made some great picks on what could have been errors. On the other hand, Kingman had a few " ¡Olé! " plays at first, and could not get several throws in the dirt. The entire run differential could be traced to first base and the difference between Keith and Kingman.
                            The opinion that 1st base is the least important defensive position is just not accurate.

When the Mets had Ventura, Ordonez, Fonzie, and Olerud at first in the IF...everyone of them said they felt confident in throwing to him because they knew he would pick it if need be. You cant measure that confidence. I know there are metrics for measuring defense, but confidence in throwing to your first base men cant be measured.

Ask any Yankee fan about how good they felt about Giambi at first.

First base is the least important position..until you have a first base men that sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                              The opinion that 1st base is the least important defensive position is just not accurate.

When the Mets had Ventura, Ordonez, Fonzie, and Olerud at first in the IF...everyone of them said they felt confident in throwing to him because they knew he would pick it if need be. You cant measure that confidence. I know there are metrics for measuring defense, but confidence in throwing to your first base men cant be measured.
                              Confidence in throwing to 1B doesn't need to be measured.
                              Throws to first base are measured.
                              That's enough.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X