Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lucas Duda

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
    Very quietly Duda is on pace for 34 HR and 101 RBI.
    I'm not sure what to make of Duda this year. He takes way too many pitches for strike 3. A guy with his swing should be trying to hit the ball. Not take a walk.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
      I'm not sure what to make of Duda this year. He takes way too many pitches for strike 3. A guy with his swing should be trying to hit the ball. Not take a walk.
      The whole hitting philosophy that is being preached is to "hunt strikes". Kevin Long wants them to be aggressive in the strike zone.

      Duda has always had the same problem - he is 0-1 and then he is dead meat.

      Comment


      • It has become quite apparent that Lucas Duda is primed to be in a platoon situation. His .282 OPS against LHP is just absolutely hideous.

        Except for some brief flashes when he was red hot his numbers against LHP do not warrant him being an everyday player.

        Options? Right now there are non unless if anyone thinks Eric Campbell is an answer - I don't.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
          It has become quite apparent that Lucas Duda is primed to be in a platoon situation. His .282 OPS against LHP is just absolutely hideous.

          Except for some brief flashes when he was red hot his numbers against LHP do not warrant him being an everyday player.

          Options? Right now there are non unless if anyone thinks Eric Campbell is an answer - I don't.
          Option A : David Wright before he gets hurt
          Option B : Travis d'Arnaud if he ever stops getting hurt

          Comment


          • Lucas Duda, very quietly, has an OPS of .999 and is averaging nearly a home run every 10 AB.

            I know the plan is to go minimum wage with Dom Smith next season, but he currently has an OPS of .872 in Las Vegas. Just behind him is Kevin Plawecki, with an OPS of .862. If he stays healthy, it might be a mistake to let Duda walk.


            "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
              Lucas Duda, very quietly, has an OPS of .999 and is averaging nearly a home run every 10 AB.

              I know the plan is to go minimum wage with Dom Smith next season, but he currently has an OPS of .872 in Las Vegas. Just behind him is Kevin Plawecki, with an OPS of .862. If he stays healthy, it might be a mistake to let Duda walk.
              Duda does this every year - he gets hot for a couple of weeks, then disappears for a couple of months. I've seen it too many times to think it's going to be different this time.
              They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                Lucas Duda, very quietly, has an OPS of .999 and is averaging nearly a home run every 10 AB.

                I know the plan is to go minimum wage with Dom Smith next season, but he currently has an OPS of .872 in Las Vegas. Just behind him is Kevin Plawecki, with an OPS of .862. If he stays healthy, it might be a mistake to let Duda walk.
                Lets see where Duda ends up before we make a judgement on what happens next year. Duda has done an awful lot of sucking to think that he has turned a corner.

                Comment


                • I guess this link pilfered from the season thread should go here as well. He was traded for a 23 y/o minor league reliever with a 1.60 ERA at several levels and 40 K in 45 IP. If this means in a year or so he will be a guy coming out of the bullpen throwing gas like so many other teams seem to have that is a one small chip taken care of. Hopefully Dominic Smith is a larger one.
                  https://www.mlbdailydish.com/2017/7/...ucas-duda-rays

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
                    I guess this link pilfered from the season thread should go here as well. He was traded for a 23 y/o minor league reliever with a 1.60 ERA at several levels and 40 K in 45 IP. If this means in a year or so he will be a guy coming out of the bullpen throwing gas like so many other teams seem to have that is a one small chip taken care of. Hopefully Dominic Smith is a larger one.
                    https://www.mlbdailydish.com/2017/7/...ucas-duda-rays
                    Yeah, the Duda talk should probably go here. Fred wouldn't eat any of Duda's salary in the deal, so the Mets get a lesser prospect. Same old, same old.

                    Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                    Although I am not fan of Duda by any stretch this seems like nothing more than a salary dump to me. As mentioned Smith wont be up for a while so this wasn't to clear the way for Smith.

                    I was hoping to package Duda with someone and get a bit more back. Someone closer to MLB ready. Who knows how this turns out for the Mets, but right now besides saving Fred $7.5MM I don't get it.
                    Fred wasn't going to pay market rate for a first baseman going forward. We've known that for years. Even when Dom Smith was disappointing his first couple pro seasons, he was still the inevitable future starting first baseman. So the major part of the salary dump was planned well in advance. As for refusing to pick up Duda's remaining salary to get more value in the trade, it's almost like a detail that makes the larger salary dump more thoroughly Wilpon.

                    Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

                    With the article I posted about Smith coming up soon the Duda move makes more sense. I didn't realize Smith was tearing it up like that. It doesn't mean much once he gets here but those are nice numbers.
                    Duda's OPS is about the same as Dom's. Duda did it at "Citi" Field. Smith did it in Las Vegas. I think Duda would outperform Smith going forward if healthy.

                    Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

                    Duda a FA in October. Hope Smith comes up soon to learn at ML level. Duda won't cost a lot to bring him back next year.
                    I would have thought hard about re-signing Duda and trading Smith. Duda will probably provide more performance on the field and Smith would provide more value in trade. Honestly, I haven't seen Smith and don't know, but looking at the numbers I keep thinking of James Loney and maybe Butch Huskey.


                    "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

                    Comment


                    • Are you seeing .280 15 HR 30 2B 50-60 BB and B+ or better defense? Is that a totally unrealistic expectation for Smith?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
                        Are you seeing .280 15 HR 30 2B 50-60 BB and B+ or better defense? Is that a totally unrealistic expectation for Smith?
                        He might struggle at first with the transition to MLB. It'd probably be a good idea to bring him up ASAP so he can adjust. I hope they don't wait until next season to give him his start. He'll then settle in and probably produce Murphy version 1 numbers, with maybe a little more power. It's not impossible to think more power might develop, but that would happen over time. I hope he does well.

                        All in all, I think Duda would be a better option short term - meaning the next 2 or 3 years. I think he was one of the more underrated Mets of all time. He was humble, unassuming, decent. Perhaps that's why his genuine contributions seem to have been overlooked.

                        http://nypost.com/2015/08/03/nats-st...y-in-baseball/

                        I still remember when he first came up. Not a lot of Mets have hit the ball harder. I would have seriously considered re-signing him, but that's me.


                        "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

                        Comment


                        • Duda signs a $3.5M contract with the Royals. He would have been a bigger bargain than Gonzales.


                          "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                            Duda signs a $3.5M contract with the Royals. He would have been a bigger bargain than Gonzales.
                            I must admit as much as I am done watching piss poor at bats and horrendous long stretches of just plain hideous for Duda -- I would rather have Duda than AGon.

                            That isn't saying much because I rather have clothes dryer lint than AGon.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                              Duda signs a $3.5M contract with the Royals. He would have been a bigger bargain than Gonzales.
                              Gonzalez has had 11 seasons that were better than Duda’s best season. The past is the past though. We’ll see if Gonzalez gets on the opening day roster even.

                              Duda press conference next to Royals 2015 WS poster. Ouch.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

                                Gonzalez has had 11 seasons that were better than Duda’s best season. The past is the past though. We’ll see if Gonzalez gets on the opening day roster even.

                                Duda press conference next to Royals 2015 WS poster. Ouch.
                                Hey he helped provide that poster. I can still see that throw home which missed by 10 feet as Hosmer slid home.

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X